[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    With families that end up getting heavily involved with fostering, there's a good chance several of those siblings are adults now who'd been adopted at various ages in their childhoods. You're not starting at year 0 with all of them and older kids need families too.

MulysaSemproniusSteel AngelElvenshaemarajiMoridin889AimshrykeRingo
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    This all reminds me of an episode of House of all things. The dialog was something along the lines of:

"She was adopted when the parents thought they couldn't have kids. Then they ended up having 3 more. She takes the message as 'Thanks for playing, but we have our real family now.'."
    "And the real kids probably think they're accidents while she was hand picked. Everybody has issues with their parents."

I always thought that was a pretty good version of "Everybody always thinks the grass is greener on the other side".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    This all reminds me of an episode of House of all things. The dialog was something along the lines of:

"She was adopted when the parents thought they couldn't have kids. Then they ended up having 3 more. She takes the message as 'Thanks for playing, but we have our real family now.'."
    "And the real kids probably think they're accidents while she was hand picked. Everybody has issues with their parents."

I always thought that was a pretty good version of "Everybody always thinks the grass is greener on the other side".

My previous boss had a good follow up to this, "Until they get over there and realize that is because it is growing on top of a septic tank"

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    There's not even anything to 'side-eye' about this: the kid obviously got adopted into a family that wanted and loved him. Some families find their purpose into continuing to foster - they don't stop just because one of those adopted kids grew up. "Whelp, we'd sure love to help out another kid without a family, but, y'know, got a lifetime limit of two kids only."

ElvenshaeAngelHedgieHappylilElfRingoShadowfire
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited March 26
    There's not even anything to 'side-eye' about this: the kid obviously got adopted into a family that wanted and loved him. Some families find their purpose into continuing to foster - they don't stop just because one of those adopted kids grew up. "Whelp, we'd sure love to help out another kid without a family, but, y'know, got a lifetime limit of two kids only."

You hear occasional, possibly (probably?) apocryphal horror stories about couples who adopt a ton of kids for tax benefits and then abuse and neglect them. And then there's the quiverfull movement, which is absolutely deserving of side-eye - but kids in those families aren't usually adopted, afaik. Still, huge families tend to be associated with the kind of religious folk whose idea of godly parenting is what the rest of us recognize as physical and emotional abuse.

edit: not saying there's anything shady here, just that the knee-jerk response is somewhat understandable

Calica on
    Jedoc wrote: »
    The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.
    FryMulysaSempronius
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

You hear occasional, possibly (probably?) apocryphal horror stories about couples who adopt a ton of kids for tax benefits and then abuse and neglect them. And then there's the quiverfull movement, which is absolutely deserving of side-eye - but kids in those families aren't usually adopted, afaik. Still, huge families tend to be associated with the kind of religious folk whose idea of godly parenting is what the rest of us recognize as physical and emotional abuse.

edit: not saying there's anything shady here, just that the knee-jerk response is somewhat understandable

That's not usually adopting, it's fostering. You're not going to make enough in tax benefits (at least in the US) to offset keeping a kid alive year to year.

From the social workers I've talked to abusive fostering is also super uncommon though. The most common form of abusing the foster/adoption system is just flat out fraud with foster homes fostering non-existent kids.

The Quiverfull movement is another can of worms entirely and is (thankfully) small enough that it's kinda only note-worthy because of how fucked up it is.

DoodmannCalicavalhalla130Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    You get the one horrible case that makes the news, then every crime show does an episode based on it, which get spaced out across a couple of years and makes it seem like a more common thing.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Gnome-InterruptusElvenshaeBlackDragon480ChiselphaneShadowfireHefflingFrymrpakuCalicaSteel Angelvalhalla130JoolanderGiantGeek2020NobeardSorce
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I dunno, even absent any abuse, we try to keep school class sizes small to make sure students are not neglected accidentally. Having large numbers of children will either lead to some being neglected just due to limited parental resources or other children having to become proxy parents as well, which is also a bit unfair to them.

Again, worthy of a bit of side eye, but not necessarily casting aspersions on the parents or the family

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    MulysaSempronius
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Assuming kids are by definition neglected in a large family is a really goosey thing to say

destroyah87Elvenshae
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bad news: herd of buffalo at Yellowstone decide they want to be on the news and head towards the reporter on camera.
    Gone right: reporter moves his ass to a safe distance, proving himself smarter than many tourists who visit Yellowstone.

And then shoots some footage of the bison from said safe distance.

Anybody who laughs at this man for his reaction has clearly never seen a buffalo up close. They are big, powerful, and quite capable of utterly destroying a person entirely by accident.
    The only reason I saw some up close on our vacation to Yellowstone was the herd decided it was their turn to use the road, and any cars in the way were welcome to get out of the way.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    FryBlackDragon480ShadowfireGnome-InterruptusDoodmannVishNubRhesus PositiveForarElvenshaeRingochromdomfurlionAngelHedgieL Ron HowardAuralynxmrpakuCalicaMvrckTNTrooperkijunshiwebguy20HappylilElfTynnanvalhalla130tynicMayabirdSleepGiantGeek2020SkeithMoridin889LabelSorceMulysaSemproniusmarajiJebusUDKadokenIncenjucarQuidTofystedethmjn6172
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular

Adoption isn't going to get you enough benefits to get anywhere, you can't even neglect a kid enough to turn a profit from the child tax credit even ignoring that adoption is usually an expensive process. Government fostering programs with a sufficient stipend you can usually *just* make it but most states put heavy scrutiny on households with lots of kids (foster or otherwise) looking to foster, a lot of abuse and neglect doesn't come from people using them to turn a profit but because a lot of kids in the system are troubled or special needs and a lot of families are not up to the task of taking them in.

Quiverfull are not fostered or adopted, they're old fashioned home-made babies. The name comes from a bible verse that reads like a dick joke. It's basically an attempt by certain leaders in the Christian right to out-breed the liberals. It is a breeding ground for abuse and neglect, but even here it's just as likely to be horrific attitudes at the core, as the Duggar family so gloriously demonstrated.

BlackDragon480ElvenshaemrpakuCalica
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Bad news: herd of buffalo at Yellowstone decide they want to be on the news and head towards the reporter on camera.
    Gone right: reporter moves his ass to a safe distance, proving himself smarter than many tourists who visit Yellowstone.

Anybody who laughs at this man for his reaction has clearly never seen a buffalo up close. They are big, powerful, and quite capable of utterly destroying a person entirely by accident.
    The only reason I saw some up close on our vacation to Yellowstone was the herd decided it was their turn to use the road, and any cars in the way were welcome to get out of the way.

GOOD

DoodmannElvenshaeshrykeCalicaOrcaHappylilElfvalhalla130tynicMayabirdGiantGeek2020SkeithLabelNobeardTicaldfjamSorcemarajiIncenjucar
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Or as one of the commenters reposted, this

Gnome-InterruptusDoodmannPolaritieRingoAimElvenshaeL Ron HowardOrcaBlackDragon480see317AuralynxCalicaNobodySteel AngelTNTrooperMagic PinkFryRhesus Positivewebguy20kimeTynnanMayabirdShadowfireGiantGeek2020SkeithMoridin889TicaldfjamMulysaSemproniusmarajiHefflingdavidsdurionsKadokenNyysjanEchoQuidTofystedethmjn6172
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The replies to the first tweet are mining that video for some amazing meme material.

ElvenshaeCalicaTynnanSkeith
    I do wish he had panned that camera around just a little further when tossing it into his car so we could see the buffalo.

Rhesus PositiveBullheadGnome-InterruptusElvenshaeDoodmannSleepSkeithMoridin889KruiteSorceLabel
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited March 26
    People farm bison around here; they are like extraordinarily bulky cattle. The ones in Yellowstone are like three times that size :eek:

edit: ...of the farmed ones, I mean; not the buffalo in the video, obviously

Calica on
    Jedoc wrote: »
    The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.
    People farm bison around here; they are like extraordinarily bulky cattle. The ones in Yellowstone are like three times that size :eek:

Farmed ones don't live as long as wild ones. I imagine they don't fatten them up to maximum size either because they dwarf even those occasional freak megacattle you see, probably some serious containment problems with a herd of full grown adults.

CalicaElvenshaeMvrckMoridin889maraji
    Hevach wrote: »

Farmed ones don't live as long as wild ones. I imagine they don't fatten them up to maximum size either because they dwarf even those occasional freak megacattle you see, probably some serious containment problems with a herd of full grown adults.

I'd imagine they also get significantly tougher than your average farm raised cow as they age. Probably fine for a slow cook method, or ground meat, but for a good steak you don't want a muscle that's been carting a ton of buffalo for miles and miles a day on your plate.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Now I'm picturing some kind of Jurassic Park-esque moats, concrete, and electric fences kind of deal to contain fully grown but captive/domesticated buffalo.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Elvenshae
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I laughed, but only because I've felt exactly what he's feeling.

MvrckSleepMoridin889LabelTynnanMr Fuzzbutt
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Yeah that's not a reaction I'd ever laugh at because that is 100% the correct reaction to a bison heading your way :P

BlackDragon480valhalla130AngelHedgiesee317tynicForarCalicaOrcaTynnanGiantGeek2020SkeithMoridin889NobeardmarajiCouscousKayne Red RobeIncenjucarFiendishrabbit
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I laughed because a caption popped in my head while I watched it. "Only Sane Man in a Horror Show."

ElvenshaechromdomHappylilElfGiantGeek2020SkeithMoridin889MulysaSemproniusmarajifurlionLord PalingtonFiendishrabbitSlacker1913Magic PinkRingo
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 26
    I hung out with some farmed buffalo (deffo smaller than those guys) last summer (video). My best advice is: do not try this at home

tynic on
    ElvenshaeL Ron HowardTynnan
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    While camping in a pop-up camper at Yellowstone pre-fire, dad and I were outside early one morning when a buffalo came meandering into our camp.
    The guy across the street jumped in his trailer and hid, but it was so close to us that we just stayed at the table. Buffalo was probably 10 feet away.
    It just stood around and looked at us for a minute before pooping and walking off.

Not sure if it was Glacier or Yellowstone where a moose just sort of rose out of the bush one day by the bathrooms. Videos don't do justice on how BIG they are. Came very close to some brown bears at Glacier Park.

"Never believe management about anything anywhere." -Aistan
    ElvenshaetynicCalicaTynnanSkeithMoridin889NobeardSorceRhesus PositiveL Ron Howardmarajivalhalla130VishNubForarRingo
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Moose are fucking huge. Like, will fuck you up huge. I've come across them on a trail before and I basically turn around and walk in the opposite direction. I want nothing to do with something that big, that clearly thinks nothing smaller than a polar bear is worth troubling themselves with.

tynicwebguy20SkeithMoridin889ElvenshaeGnome-InterruptusStabbity StyleBlackDragon480SorceL Ron HowardNitsuamarajiIncenjucarMvrckEchoForarTofystedeth
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    This is the result of two weeks of no sports:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    HappylilElfFrychromdomOrcaGnome-InterruptusMoridin889BlackDragon480HefflingL Ron HowardkimeSorceTNTrooperDiplominatorKadokenPolaritieIncenjucarCaptain CarrotMvrckJoolandermarajimildlymorbidNobeardSkeithAridholRingo
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Moose are fucking huge. Like, will fuck you up huge. I've come across them on a trail before and I basically turn around and walk in the opposite direction. I want nothing to do with something that big, that clearly thinks nothing smaller than a polar bear is worth troubling themselves with.

They also have spindly legs that can be hard to see at night which is why they do so much damage when cars hit them. Spindly legs hit by a fast moving vehicle means the giant animal is dropping onto the car. It's an ugly scene.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    shrykeSleep
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

They also have spindly legs that can be hard to see at night which is why they do so much damage when cars hit them. Spindly legs hit by a fast moving vehicle means the giant animal is dropping onto the car. It's an ugly scene.

I've heard that if you hit a deer with a car, it will fuck your car up. If you hit a moose with a car, it will kill you. Intuitively makes sense: 1500 pounds crashing through your windshield at 60 mph seems pretty likely to end you. Don't know how true it is.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

I'd imagine they also get significantly tougher than your average farm raised cow as they age. Probably fine for a slow cook method, or ground meat, but for a good steak you don't want a muscle that's been carting a ton of buffalo for miles and miles a day on your plate.

we have local bison farms. They were talking about the one near us on the local public radio. The farmer said you get fences that are twice of what you would get for a cow and even then it is just a suggestion. The electric fence doesn't really do anything.

Mostly they have done like they do in zoos. Large trenches on the perimeter. Because of this bison is unlikely to supplant beef. The price will be higher because they are just harder to farm.

And I won, so you lose,
    Guess it always comes down to.
    Ringo
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I've heard that if you hit a deer with a car, it will fuck your car up. If you hit a moose with a car, it will kill you. Intuitively makes sense: 1500 pounds crashing through your windshield at 60 mph seems pretty likely to end you. Don't know how true it is.

Pretty accurate. Years ago we hit a deer when my friend was driving. I watched the thing hit the car and it slammed its face on the windshield right in front of my face. The windshield did all sorts of spiderwebbing which made me pee a little.

Though then we couldn't get the car to start again to at least get it back home (only like 400 ft from the driveway, always buckle up no matter how short your drive is!). It hit so hard that it triggered a safety switch in the trunk that cuts off the fuel pump in case of a leak.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Basically what I've heard from any of the cops or the like working in moose country up here. The higher centre-of-mass on the moose means you hit the legs and then the body falls past the hood and more towards the windshield.

Gnome-InterruptusMayabirdRhesus PositiveElvenshaeBlackDragon480SkeithTynnan
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    If you google moose collision pictures you'll find a lot of horrifying pictures of cars with hoods that are fine but smashed windshields and crushed roofs. The roofs are not really designed to handle an enormous animal basically falling on top of them at high speed.

Since the pictures are terrible and often still have the dead moose on them, I won't inflict them on you. You can look them up if you must. Instead, here's a moose traveling at high speed through deep snow.

GiantGeek2020ShadowfireGnome-InterruptusElvenshaeL Ron HowardkimetynicKetarAridholSkeithKruiteLabelmarajiKlytusknitdanRingoTynnanshrykeTofystedeth
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Reminds me of that time in Red Dead Redemption 2 where I got my lasso out and then somehow accidentally shot the moose even though I was aiming my lasso and then a lion came out of nowhere and ate me.

HevachCarpySnicketysnickNitsuaNobeardBrovid Hasselsmof
    edited March 29
    Reminds me of that time in Red Dead Redemption 2 where I got my lasso out and then somehow accidentally shot the moose even though I was aiming my lasso and then a lion came out of nowhere and ate me.

These kind of games make for some surreal emergent gameplay.

In Far Cry 3, there's an early quest to save a girl kidnapped by her boyfriend. I killed him, she thanked me, and was dragged off mid thank you by a komodo dragon. Her parents profusely thanked me and gave me the full reward because their daughter was not killed by her maniac boyfriend, but by a giant toxic terror lizard.

This happened to me my first playthrough and repeated exactly my second, I assumed for years this was SUPPOSED to happen. My whole understanding of the island's culture was based on it.

Hevach on
    Kayne Red RobeCarpyAngelHedgieHappylilElfOrcaFryElvenshaeIceBurnerKadokenNobodytynicPolaritieLabelKetarchromdomkimevalhalla130furlionRhesus PositiveBrovid HasselsmofSnicketysnickShadowfireL Ron HowardMvrckLord PalingtonJoolandermarajiSteel AngelSkeithQuidNobeardAuralynxFiendishrabbitDavid WalgasEncForarMichaelLCRingoTynnanshrykeSleepNyysjanTofystedethXaquin
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Have you considered not siding with the lizard people?

steam_sig.png
    ElvenshaeJebus314
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Have you considered not siding with the lizard people?

The possibility has never once occurred to me in any game ever.

AngelHedgieElvenshaeKadokenPolaritievalhalla130marajiNobeardFiendishrabbitJebus314Magic PinkRingoTynnanNyysjan
  • JacobyJacoby Registered User regular
    edited March 30
    It seems really common to underestimate animals you never have contact with. I went to one of the panda reserves in China, and had a sudden realization that they are 100% bears.

And they eat wood for a living!

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
    ElvenshaeSteel Angel
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod

We say that about moose here in Swedistan, and they're nowhere near the size of buffalo.

Also they destroy you with extreme intent.

Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    FiendishrabbitTynnan
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

We say that about moose here in Swedistan, and they're nowhere near the size of buffalo.

Also they destroy you with extreme intent.

Do you remember being hunted by humans with spears and dogs?

Moose remembers.

omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Kayne Red RobeFiendishrabbitSteel AngelTNTrooperRingomaraji
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Stabbity StyleShadowfireElvenshaeL Ron HowardJoolanderdestroyah87webguy20CarpyRichydurandal4532FiendishrabbitRhesus PositiveMoridin889AridholchromdomTNTrooperHappylilElfkimeknitdanSorceRingohonovereTynnanshrykemrpakuSkeithNobeardSleepNyysjanTofystedethXaquinmjn6172