Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Bad News Gone Right]: The Return

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 9
    Hevach wrote: »
    I mean it's not airborne because their life cycle is all underwater.
    see317 wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    Fear the mighty bobbit

That's some straight up horror show footage.

The common name comes from a woman who cut off her abusive husband's penis. It's scientific name is Eunice (a female name meaning victory or conquest) aphrodoitis (the Greek goddess of love).

Basically, the scientist who named this thing wants to make sure you have a VERY SPECIFIC nightmare about it.

Seems overkill, because if I ever saw the thing, I'd likely have all the nightmares about it, not just that one very specific one.

Biologists don't do subtle very well. The grizzly bear's common name translates as "bear horrible bear," and the Eurasian brown bear's is, "bear bear bear."

"Victorious love worm," is about as obscure as it gets.

To be fair "Bear" is thought to come from a word for "brown" because the original name of bears was thought to summon them and everybody thought they were scary as fuck so just referred to them as "brown one".
    I guess this theory has become doubtful recently but I don't care, I find it amusing that they're brown brown browns.

No. It has pretty firm etymological support given how far back in history the split happened. At some point during protogermanic the original work for bear became a taboo word and replaced by Bero, "the brown one". Before that bears were called "rkto", which we can see in ancient greek where bears are called arktos.
    "rkto" is in itself probably a taboo name since it has its roots in a proto-indoeuropean word meaning "the destroyer".

When I googled to confirm my memory on this wikitionary mentioned this:
    However, Ringe (2006:106) doubts the existence of a root *bʰer- meaning "brown" ("an actual PIE word of [the requisite] shape and meaning is not recoverable") and suggests that a derivation from Proto-Indo-European *ǵʰwer- (“wild animal”) "should therefore perhaps be preferred", implying a Germanic merger of *ǵʰw and *gʷʰ (*gʷʰ may sometimes result in Germanic *b, perhaps e.g. in *bidjaną, but it also seems to have given the g in gun and the w in warm).

Which is frankly over my head and I don't super care. It's still plausible to say they're brown brown browns and I'm gonna stick with that.

The subspecies name is Ursus arctos arctos. Arctos is related to the pre-brown word for bear, and ursus is probably unrelated to either.

Ursus comes from rktos/arktos. The roman pronounciation is much closer to the proto-italic "orssos", which is in itself rktos where the "kt" has softened into a s-like sound.

Today I learned this.

Also, today I learned that "arctos" was before "arctic." They literally named it, "the place with bears."

Bear related etymology is much farther reaching than I ever would have thought. It's like getting so lost in Wikipedia that you got from spark plugs to toothcarp except its all bears.

Hevach on
    ElvenshaeSorceKayne Red RobeL Ron HowardtynicKruitekimeLoisLaneTofystedethCouscousForarInquisitor77Zilla360Kristmas KthulhuNobeardspool32Rhesus PositiveHefflingDuke 2.0CalicaSkeithboogedybooDisruptedCapitalistPolaritieHappy Little Machine
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    This is making me miss Bear Friday on Deadspin

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Turns out owls are also against surveillance:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    L Ron HowardOrcaFiendishrabbitElvenshaeKruiteFryLoisLaneMoridin889chromdomInquisitor77webguy20Zilla360shrykeKristmas KthulhuNobeardMr FuzzbuttTNTrooperHonkSorceRchanenMayabirdCalicaKadokenShadowfireSkeithCarpyboogedybooPolaritie
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    They may have want to spring for a tripod and camera with zoom so they don’t have to stick it into the owls nest

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Today in NOPE:

That Chevy Malibu belongs to the wasps now, friend.

ElvenshaeOrcaAridholkimeKetardavidsdurionsBullheadZilla360Captain InertiaNobeardfurlionSorceL Ron HowardCalicaSkeithBliss 101boogedyboo
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Humans were not meant to fuck with the ocean. That there is an infiltration agent of the deep ones.

We signed the Benthic Treaty for a reason.

steam_sig.png
    DevoutlyApatheticZilla360
    Posted without comment (because what needs to be said?):

OrcaMvrckElvenshaeVishNubCaptain InertiaNobeardFryTynnanTNTrooperSorceRchanenHappylilElfL Ron HowardZilla360Joolander
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Today in NOPE:

No, it belongs to the fire.

OrcaElvenshaeKetarBlackDragon480Captain InertiaNobeardLoisLaneHefflingL Ron HowardAridholShadowfireSkeithJoolanderOneAngryPossum
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Today in NOPE:

What the motherfucking FUCK is this

NobeardNitsuaL Ron HowardOneAngryPossum
    Today in NOPE:

It's the apocalypse. We had a good run, but it's time to pack in the civilization thing.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Today in NOPE:

No, it belongs to the fire.

I'm not even joking, burn it. Research it to make sure you can do it safely, get whatever permits you need, set up the camera, and burn it.

I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Those look like hornets so yeah. Fuck them. Also just to add to your nightmares here is the cab of a truck filled almost completely with a nest. I can't find the actually story surrounding it anymore.
    1dngtf5wezh5.jpg

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Brovid HasselsmofDuke 2.0Zilla360
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    I think I discovered where the dude who designed the aliens in Alien found his inspiration

The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
    NobeardNitsuaForarhonovereRchanenFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Today in NOPE:

It's the apocalypse. We had a good run, but it's time to pack in the civilization thing.

Not entirely a joke. Global warming makes this kind of thing more likely since it will not necessarily get cold enough to kill off the wasps in the winter in some places so now they can keep just growing the nest.

Mayabird
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Probably doesn't need much of a story. Abandon a vehicle somewhere semi-rural with the windows open and bugs will get in.

ElvenshaeGnome-Interruptusdestroyah87shrykeDuke 2.0BullheadL Ron Howard
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Where is the gone good?!?!?

Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.
    NitsuaForarBullheadRchanenkimeL Ron HowardZilla360MulysaSemproniusJoolander
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Those look like hornets so yeah. Fuck them. Also just to add to your nightmares here is the cab of a truck filled almost completely with a nest. I can't find the actually story surrounding it anymore.
    1dngtf5wezh5.jpg

God that's horrifying. Looks like the picture in a SCP story.

I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
    NitsuaForarRhesus PositiveL Ron Howard
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I’m reasonably certain this thread is an SCP entry.

The next edition should just be called “Good News: Not Sarcastically, Just Actual Good News”.

But I give it less than a page before it goes sideways all the same.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    tynicTynnanhonovereMayabirdNobeardL Ron HowardOrcaDisruptedCapitalistHappy Little Machine
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    Probably doesn't need much of a story. Abandon a vehicle somewhere semi-rural with the windows open and bugs will get in.

That was the original story, IIRC. Car left in a barn for years/decades with the windows open.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Good news: that's not your car filled with wasps.

Brovid HasselsmofCaptain InertiaElvenshaefurlionForarTofystedethGnome-InterruptusNitsuaFiendishrabbitkimeNobeardL Ron HowardOrcaShadowfireStabbity StyleSkeithZilla360PolaritieMulysaSemproniusJoolander
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Good news: that's not your car filled with wasps.

I imagine drivers would be far more polite if there was a one in ten chance that every driver they were an asshole to was in fact a car filled with wasps.

Because those fuckers would follow you, Terminator-style.

Captain InertiaForarGnome-InterruptuskimeNobeardL Ron HowardMvrckZilla360
    Where is the gone good?!?!?

They got in there and killed them all I suppose is the only gone right I can think of. I actually have a pretty severe wasp and hornet phobia even though I think they are very fascinating creatures. If I had the space it would be very cool to have a few bee enclosures especially since we are killing them off at such a prodigious rate.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I feel like we should teach wasps to make something useful so they wouldn't get such a bad rap, but I'm certain they would turn the knowledge towards making something like homebrew neurotoxin in which they could bathe, allowing them to kill anything merely by landing on its exposed skin.

Zilla360
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I found the very early stage of a paper wasp nest in the seam of my car door, once: just a stem and a single ring of cells, all empty. I'm pretty sure what happened was that a queen started to build and then changed her mind, maybe because I was driving the car every day? I spent the rest of the day jumping every time something brushed my skin.

Jedoc wrote: »
    The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.
    SmrtnikFANTOMAS
    Calica wrote: »
    I found the very early stage of a paper wasp nest in the seam of my car door, once: just a stem and a single ring of cells, all empty. I'm pretty sure what happened was that a queen started to build and then changed her mind, maybe because I was driving the car every day? I spent the rest of the day jumping every time something brushed my skin.

My brother has arachnophobia pretty bad. One time he was driving with a friend in the car when he saw a spider on his door panel, down near his legs. He jerked both his feet up into his seat and pulled over on the side of the road, letting the car coast to a stop. Then he got out and made his friend drive then the rest of the way.

PROTIP: When fencing stolen goods, don't sell them to the original owner:
    A Chesterfield woman called within days of the storage locker burglary and asked if Apotheosis might want to buy a box of her comics. Encouraged by a store employee, she dropped off the box on Friday for review and left her name and phone number. Casas arrived shortly after she left to see what she had brought. As soon as he saw the box, he knew.

He had written "Cap" on the side, designating it as a box of Captain America comics. Inside, he searched for one particular comic, the third installment of the Captain America Truth series. He had gotten it years ago and knew his copy had a small red mark on the corner.

"Sure enough, there's that book," Casas says. "It's my box."

He called the cops first, and then the woman. She apparently had no idea she was trying to sell the comics back to their rightful owner, so Casas played dumb.

SnicketysnickL Ron HowardAridholZilla360ShadowfireXaquinNobeardFiendishrabbitGnome-InterruptusBullheadkimemrpakuTNTrooperKristmas KthulhuMvrckHefflingElvenshaeSmrtnikMoridin889Rhesus PositiveKadokenSkeithSorceFANTOMASDisruptedCapitalistwebguy20Polaritiemjn6172KruiteEncJoolanderHappy Little MachineMarek
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    A Chesterfield woman called within days of the storage locker burglary and asked if Apotheosis might want to buy a box of her comics. Encouraged by a store employee, she dropped off the box on Friday for review and left her name and phone number. Casas arrived shortly after she left to see what she had brought. As soon as he saw the box, he knew.

He had written "Cap" on the side, designating it as a box of Captain America comics. Inside, he searched for one particular comic, the third installment of the Captain America Truth series. He had gotten it years ago and knew his copy had a small red mark on the corner.

He called the cops first, and then the woman. She apparently had no idea she was trying to sell the comics back to their rightful owner, so Casas played dumb.

Seriously? This guy is lucky.
    Still, he was hopeful about seeing his comics again. One summer, his Dodge Caravan was stolen four times, and it was recovered four times, he says. His house had also been burglarized in the past, and he got his stuff back that time, too.

PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    ShadowfireStabbity StyleElvenshaeMoridin889Gnome-InterruptuschromdomRchanenRhesus PositiveNobeardSkeithSorceBullheadL Ron Howardwebguy20FryTofystedethPolaritieCalicamjn6172KruiteAimJoolanderForar
    Normal day: Flight delayed because of fog.
    This thread: Flight delayed because of fog in the cabin:
    A foggy sight had passengers on a New York-bound flight concerned this weekend.

That’s because the fog was inside the cabin, CBS2’s Natalie Duddridge reported Tuesday.

A thick layer of mist was captured on cellphone video inside the cabin of Delta Flight 100, alarming passengers who were flying from Jacksonville, Fla., to John F. Kennedy Airport on Sunday night.

FANTOMAS
    Hacker tries to Little Bobby Tables the DMV, winds up getting all the parking tickets:
    It's the story of a security researcher known as Droogie, who presented his experience at the recent DEF CON conference in Las Vegas. Droogie decided his new vanity plate should read "NULL." While he did this mainly for the giggles, he told the audience that there was an ulterior motive, as reported by Mashable:
    "I was like, ‘I'm the shit,'" he joked to the crowd. "'I’m gonna be invisible.' Instead, I got all the tickets."

Droogie's hope was that the new plate would exploit California's DMV ticketing system in a similar manner to the classic xkcd "Bobby Tables" cartoon. With any luck, the DMV's ticket database would see "NULL" and consign any of his tickets to the void. Unfortunately, the exact opposite happened.

First, Droogie got a parking ticket, incurred for an actual parking infraction—so much for being invisible. Then, once a particular database of outstanding tickets had associated the license plate NULL with his address, it sent him every other ticket that lacked a real plate. The total came to $12,049 worth of tickets. Droogie told the DEF CON audience that he received little sympathy from either the California DMV or the Los Angeles Police Department, both telling him to just change his plate to something else. That remains something he refuses to do.

destroyah87L Ron HowardGnome-InterruptusscherbchenFiendishrabbitElvenshaeHappylilElfPolaritieSkeithmjn6172Stabbity StylehonovereBlackDragon480furlionNobeardkimeMoridin889knitdanRhesus PositiveSorceSelnerHefflingboogedybooKayne Red RobeThe SauceRichy
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    One person vs. multiple faceless uncaring bureaucracies with infrastructure that will be extremely expensive to fix and that they are not motivated to do so. I think he overestimates his chances.

The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
    L Ron HowardHappylilElfBullheadfurlionMvrckKristmas KthulhuMoridin889RchanenSorceMulysaSemproniusEncHefflingForarKayne Red RobeRichy
    Changing tickets to match his car is super illegal here, can't imagine it's much better in California.

Here's the thing, though: changing the plate won't help, because he cant reregister the car with the tickets out, and since the ticket company went back and changed tickets they'll follow him if he scraps his perfectly good car and buys a new one.

There's been a lot of cases like this, Snopes lists a dozen or so. Either the DMV and police work promptly to fix the issue or they seriously regret it once the lawsuit hits, most of them that went to court were harassment under color of law and all had significant settlements.

Gnome-InterruptusfurlionKristmas Kthulhu
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    kime wrote: »

Seriously? This guy is lucky.
    Still, he was hopeful about seeing his comics again. One summer, his Dodge Caravan was stolen four times, and it was recovered four times, he says. His house had also been burglarized in the past, and he got his stuff back that time, too.

Nah. Caravans are almost always recovered. Ours was stolen twice and recovered twice, and we had mutlitple neighbors who had theirs stolen and recovered as an example.

The reason is that the locks on them were super easy to turn with a screwdriver. Caravans were ideal for joyriding or getaway vehicle due to their large capacity and ease of theft. They get dumped within a day and recovered within a week. The newer caravans had the locks updated but are probably still high recovery

Getting the home burglary stuff back was lucky. But the caravans always come back

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    Gnome-InterruptusElvenshaeCalicaMvrckshryke
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Changing tickets to match his car is super illegal here, can't imagine it's much better in California.

Here's the thing, though: changing the plate won't help, because he cant reregister the car with the tickets out, and since the ticket company went back and changed tickets they'll follow him if he scraps his perfectly good car and buys a new one.

There's been a lot of cases like this, Snopes lists a dozen or so. Either the DMV and police work promptly to fix the issue or they seriously regret it once the lawsuit hits, most of them that went to court were harassment under color of law and all had significant settlements.

I'm not so sure, he has publicly admitted to picking that plate to work the system. Can't imagine this going his way just because it backfired for him, especially as a solution is easily available to him.

edited August 14
    Mc zany wrote: »

I'm not so sure, he has publicly admitted to picking that plate to work the system. Can't imagine this going his way just because it backfired for him, especially as a solution is easily available to him.

Changing your plate to evade tickets is itself illegal (not to mention the collection agency illegally changing them to apply to the VIN number), and likely to fall into that realm of, "resisting arrest is illegal no matter how illegal the arrest was."

Not to mention the altering of the tickets means they will follow him with a new plate or even a new car.

Hevach on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Changing your plate to evade tickets is itself illegal (not to mention the collection agency illegally changing them to apply to the VIN number), and likely to fall into that realm of, "resisting arrest is illegal no matter how illegal the arrest was."

Not to mention the altering of the tickets means they will follow him with a new plate or even a new car.

Your first post is kinda confusing, because you almost seamlessly go from the deep shit he's in for trying to game the system to the shit the DMV/LAPD could be in if they don't eventually fix the problem on their end.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 14
    Robert Barbour and Andrew Burg were the first two well documented cases of this, both in LA. Barbour won and got thousands of tickets cleared and the rules for recording tickets changed. Misuse of the new rules got Burg targeted, and he won also, after literally years of getting their buts kicked the DMV recalled any plates that could have a similar issue (and in a final victory was required to do so at their own expense).

Worth noting that the rules established because of those cases should prevent this case, because a placeholder should never be used for a license plate, there's a specific reserved word or the last 6 digits of the VIN (the ones that vary by individual car, the rest are related to he model and origin) should be copied so an actual collision is left a one in a million chance resolved by the fact that the conflicting car can't be the same model.

The legal precedent is there in a number of states though, misapplied tickets are not the victim's responsibility, and a state that tries to force the matter is going to have a hard time (Jacksonville and Detroit have both had six figure judgements for trying to collect on tickets in situations like this, and DC has a settlement whose amount doesn't seem to be public).

Hevach on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

He's a white hat hacker. Poking at potential vulnerabilities is his entire thing. Also he was speaking at DEFCON so of course he's gonna be jokey about it

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    CalicaElvenshaeHefflingForarNobeardSkeith
    FrykimeL Ron HowardRhesus PositiveI ZimbraShadowfireElvenshaeHappylilElfCaptain InertiaLoisLaneGnome-InterruptusKristmas KthulhuCalicaNobeardSkeith
    I'm not sure which is the more groan worthy - the gator down the pants, or the forty turtles in the TMNT backpack:
    The driver of the 2013 Silverado told deputies from the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office that he and Marchan-Le Quire had been trying to collect frogs and snakes from a nearby underpass.

When deputies searched the truck they found 42 striped mud turtles and a softshell turtle in the cartoon character backpack at Marchan-Le Quire's feet.

She pulled the gator from her pants when deputies asked if there was anything else in the truck.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission was called to take over the investigation.

OrcaCaptain InertiaL Ron HowardFANTOMASGnome-InterruptusNobeard
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Isn't that an old story that I think we talked about in this thread already?

PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud