Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Bad News Gone Right]: The Return

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen Chernobyl?

Even if you assume that intentionally malicious actors are not a problem, I think there's a very real concern that you can have a confluence of events which result in a catastrophe. There are already well-documented cases of very simple, straightforward processes (in comparison to "the internet of things") which nearly resulted in a nuclear holocaust.

Maybe we stop pretending that life is a well-understood, well-engineered problem and come to grips with the fact that there is a lot of shit that we just plain do not understand or is just out of our control, and the more complicated things are, the greater the risk that they will invariably blow up in your face.

In direct opposition to this idea, an average person living in a modern developed nation requires living an entire life supported by a lot of extremely complex devices and systems which make life categorically and objectively better than it was for virtually anybody a hundred years ago. Most people also have no idea as to the complexity of the devices they use and constantly and consistently use them safely.

"We don't perfectly understand something new" is terrible as a criticism, because otherwise we'd still be hiding in bushes from bears and eating raw rodents whenever we're lucky enough to catch some meat unawares.

Captain CarrotZilla360
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel regular Registered User regular

Even if you assume that intentionally malicious actors are not a problem, I think there's a very real concern that you can have a confluence of events which result in a catastrophe. There are already well-documented cases of very simple, straightforward processes (in comparison to "the internet of things") which nearly resulted in a nuclear holocaust.

Maybe we stop pretending that life is a well-understood, well-engineered problem and come to grips with the fact that there is a lot of shit that we just plain do not understand or is just out of our control, and the more complicated things are, the greater the risk that they will invariably blow up in your face.

In direct opposition to this idea, an average person living in a modern developed nation requires living an entire life supported by a lot of extremely complex devices and systems which make life categorically and objectively better than it was for virtually anybody a hundred years ago. Most people also have no idea as to the complexity of the devices they use and constantly and consistently use them safely.

"We don't perfectly understand something new" is terrible as a criticism, because otherwise we'd still be hiding in bushes from bears and eating raw rodents whenever we're lucky enough to catch some meat unawares.

There's no damn way whatever primitive humanoid that discovered how to start fire understood a damn thing about it beyond it being hot and making food better.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    King RiptorZilla360
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

There's no damn way whatever primitive humanoid that discovered how to start fire understood a damn thing about it beyond it being hot and making food better.

Which is my point. Something new and more complicated doesn't equate to more hazard than benefit, or even necessarily more hazard at all. Would you rather work in a modern forge with an assload of safety features and equipment, or an old-school blacksmith's forge where smashing your hand with a hammer means a slow death by starvation because your livelihood is gone? Reasoning out hazards just means reasoning out safety measures, then dealing with the unexpected risks when they pop up. We aren't talking about letting nuclear trucks loose on the road here, just robot trucks.

• discriderdiscrider regular Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    There was a guy who presented a hack at BSides 2019 who had managed to load malware onto a coffee machine that requested Bitcoin on the screen and constantly got the machine to spew hot water whilst grinding nothing constantly.
    This was through exploiting the API of the firmware so as to download a malicious payload instead of a legitimate firmware update.

I fully expect automated vehicles to be hijacked in a similar manner.
    Just change the destination, lock out the controller, and then send the empty truck back for style points and hopefully more stuff.
    Or refuse to let the trucks refuel until the company pays you.

Then we'd already have issues with that with cargo ships and supertankers, seeing as their long-range guidance is almost entirely automated.

I mean, you're right.
    https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/ships-infected-with-ransomware-usb-malware-worms/

Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    redx
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Also see: the Bluetooth news last week

Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    There was a guy who presented a hack at BSides 2019 who had managed to load malware onto a coffee machine that requested Bitcoin on the screen and constantly got the machine to spew hot water whilst grinding nothing constantly.
    This was through exploiting the API of the firmware so as to download a malicious payload instead of a legitimate firmware update.

I fully expect automated vehicles to be hijacked in a similar manner.
    Just change the destination, lock out the controller, and then send the empty truck back for style points and hopefully more stuff.
    Or refuse to let the trucks refuel until the company pays you.

Then we'd already have issues with that with cargo ships and supertankers, seeing as their long-range guidance is almost entirely automated.

I mean, you're right.
    https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/ships-infected-with-ransomware-usb-malware-worms/

It's wasn't in actual ships, but the third largest maritime shipping company had something like 45 hundred servers and workstations crpytolockered too.

This machine kills threads.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie regular Registered User regular
    Ah, to be in Colorado, where the majestic mattress roams the plains...

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    kimeL Ron HowardCaptain CarrotmrpakushrykeCarpyElvenshaeFryMichaelLCNobeardNitsuaGnome-InterruptusTNTrooperHonkTofystedethhonovereSorcedavidsdurionsRchanenSealZilla360Dark Raven X
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot regular Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra regular Registered User regular
    Before the settlers came the plains would be covered with herds of free-roaming mattresses as far as the eye could see. Now we only have these small protected groups in captivity. Sad, really.

FryEncNobeardmrpakuSteel AngelkimeCaptain CarrotKristmas KthulhuRhesus PositiveOrcaForarSorcedavidsdurionsCouscousRchanenZilla360maraji
  • FryFry regular Registered User regular
    edited August 20
    Particularly the beginning of that video makes me think of a real-life version of the arcade game Klax

edit: also, a couple posts down the twitter thread, someone has a version with Ride of the Valkyries playing, which is *chefkiss*

Fry on
    ElvenshaeTNTrooperTofystedethOrcaForarSorceCouscousCalicaZilla360valhalla130maraji
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 20
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Before the settlers came the plains would be covered with herds of free-roaming mattresses as far as the eye could see. Now we only have these small protected groups in captivity. Sad, really.

Don't Google wild mattress tag removal, it's very cruel.

MichaelLC on
    "Never believe management about anything anywhere." -Aistan
    NobeardGnome-InterruptusElvenshaeHonkTofystedethtynicCouscousTynnan
  • TastyfishTastyfish regular Registered User regular
    I don't know why anyone's surprised. Those aren't ground dwelling mattresses, they're airbeds.

XaquinTynnanCaptain CarrotGnome-InterruptusElvenshaeL Ron HowardKristmas KthulhushrykeStabbity StyleSnicketysnickMulysaSemproniusMichaelLCkimeNitsuaTofystedethHappylilElftynicFryCarpyMarekMoridin889HefflingSkeithRMS OceanicBeyond NormalBrovid HasselsmofFANTOMASSorcedavidsdurionsCouscousNobeardZilla360Happy Little MachineDark Raven XRiusmaraji
  • HevachHevach regular Registered User regular
    I was assured that all mattresses are thoroughly killed before removal from the swamp. The Sqornshellous Zeta hunters' guild is going to be getting one HELL of a letter from me!

Rhesus PositiveElvenshaetimspork's ghostForarCouscousRchanenNobeard
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Better than porta potties

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf regular Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone's surprised. Those aren't ground dwelling mattresses, they're airbeds.

My reaction basically went "HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOW WINDY oh they're air beds"

OrcaCarpyMoridin889Gnome-InterruptusStabbity StyleCouscousNobeardTynnanZilla360
  • CouscousCouscous regular Registered User regular
    edited August 22
    A woman in Brisbane, Australia, was lucky enough to get 50k-60k bees in her house.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-australia-49431167/huge-beehive-discovered-inside-ceiling
    5ga2y127d2t0.png
    A giant hive was removed from a woman's house in Brisbane, Australia.

The ten-month-old hive weighed 50kg and was holding 60,000 bees.
    The guy says they had 50kg of honeycomb in the hive, which is a delicious amount of honeycomb that might even sate Winnie the Pooh or President Xi.

If you are wondering if 60k bees is a lot for a hive, the answer is it is a pretty good amount.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-bees-are-there-in-a-hive
    A healthy honeybee hive usually has around 20,000-50,000 bees during summer. Almost all of these will be female workers, along with a queen and a few hundred male drones. The queen's egg laying rate peaks around May-June up to 1,500 a day - at this time she lays more than her own body weight in eggs each day!

Going into autumn the queen will start laying fewer eggs and stop laying completely in winter, so the number of bees in the hive drops to about 10-15,000. As the winter bees do not have to feed young or forage for food they are able to live longer, allowing them to survive the winter months long enough to rear new brood when the queen starts laying again in early spring.
    A Hive = a tree , cave , lava tube[here in Hawaii] , a unmaintained home ,that has a hole in it outer wall that you can slide a pencil into , a cliff over hang . These locations will be used almost completely un-noticed until they get very big . most ‘working hives ‘ have 30,000–40,000 bees in them . But I have removed some as large as 100,000 with just one very busy queen caring for the egg laying duties . Some hives will briefly have sometimes the old queen and her young daughter working in the same hive before Mom dies
    Honey bees are social insects that live in colonies. Honey bee colonies consist of a single queen, hundreds of male drones and 20,000 to 80,000 female worker bees. Each honey bee colony also consists of developing eggs, larvae and pupae.

The number of individuals within a honey bee colony depends largely upon seasonal changes. A colony could reach up to 80,000 individuals during the active season, when workers forage for food, store honey for winter and build combs. However, this population will decrease dramatically during colder seasons.
    It is currently late winter in Brisbane.

Bee whisperer is apparently a job title now.
    n3kuel8j422y.png

Couscous on
    SnicketysnicktynicElvenshaeMayabirdShadowfireSteel AngelKristmas KthulhuL Ron HowardCalicafurlionKetarkimedurandal4532TofystedethNobeardTynnanMvrckDuke 2.0Zilla360valhalla130Happy Little Machineboogedyboo
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 22
    Hey man, you don't spend that many years studying dance at a prestigious academy and walk away without no title.

shryke on
    Captain InertiaZilla360maraji
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Strangely the honey melting and running out the ceiling/down the walls etc is likely to be more of a problem than the actual bees, which is a bit counter intuitive but hey

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    maraji
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Strangely the honey melting and running out the ceiling/down the walls etc is likely to be more of a problem than the actual bees, which is a bit counter intuitive but hey

A delicious, delicious problem.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    CouscousMichaelLCL Ron HowardRhesus PositiveSorcekimeMoridin889TofystedethZilla360Mr Fuzzbutt
  • see317see317 regular Registered User regular

Of course, the honey itself pales in comparison when put up against the difficulties in dealing with President Xi, who is inevitably drawn to the sweet bee vom that he can neither resist or spell.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Kristmas KthulhuAuralynxJacobyTofystedethAimNobeardTynnanDuke 2.0Zilla360
  • GoumindongGoumindong regular Registered User regular

Ants aren't delicious

wbBv3fj.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    Honeypot ants are.

tynicElvenshaeSteel AngelCalicaCouscousForarNobeardZilla360Mr Fuzzbutt
  • TastyfishTastyfish regular Registered User regular
    edited August 23
    shryke wrote: »
    Hey man, you don't spend that many years studying dance at a prestigious academy and walk away without no title.

Though for a 50kg Hive I think you should be pointing wildly whilst shouting "BEEEEES!", purely as a public safety concern.
    Those smaller hives in out of the way places, you can tap someone on the shoulder, gesture generally in that direction whilst whispering "bees" and that should do it.
    Or just wave whilst in your suit, but guess he has specifically trained for this kind of thing.

Tastyfish on
    Rhesus Positive
    The cheese definitely stands alone when $187k worth of it is stolen:
    Someone has made off with $187,000 worth of cheese from Saputo Dairy Products in Tavistock.

Investigators with Oxford County OPP are reviewing security surveillance footage in an attempt to determine who was behind the cheese heist.

OPP say on Aug. 9, around 7:45 a.m., a man entered the business on Hope Street W. and provided paperwork for a large quantity of cheese to be delivered to New Brunswick. The product was loaded onto a blue transport truck and the man left.

The company did not realize the shipment was stolen until the delivery failed to arrive at the location early the following week.

• XaquinXaquin regular Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Police have issued an image of the suspect:

qbhbxsxn6kp0.jpg

AridholGnome-InterruptusSnicketysnickJacobykimeRchanentynicSkeithchromdomBlackDragon480TNTrooperCaptain Inertiawebguy20FiendishrabbitElvenshaeNobeardSorceMichaelLCKadokenKristmas KthulhuChiselphaneCalicaPolaritieZilla360L Ron HowardHappy Little MachineDark Raven XThroStabbity StyleKruiteMulysaSemproniusboogedyboomaraji
  • caligynefobcaligynefob regular DKRegistered User regular
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/23/go-old-man-go-mobility-scooter-fugitive-evades-police-in-low-speed-chase

Thank god no one got hurt in this chase
    Durham told TVNZ he thought the police car was an ice cream van trying to sell him an ice cream – which he didn’t want.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    NitsuaNobeardKadokenDuke 2.0PolaritieZilla360FryBullheadProhassmaraji
    Someone has made off with $187,000 worth of cheese from Saputo Dairy Products in Tavistock.

Investigators with Oxford County OPP are reviewing security surveillance footage in an attempt to determine who was behind the cheese heist.

OPP say on Aug. 9, around 7:45 a.m., a man entered the business on Hope Street W. and provided paperwork for a large quantity of cheese to be delivered to New Brunswick. The product was loaded onto a blue transport truck and the man left.

The company did not realize the shipment was stolen until the delivery failed to arrive at the location early the following week.

The perpetrator better hope they don't have surveillance of their face or else they're gonna brie in a bit of trouble

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    AridholchromdomXaquinElvenshaeRhesus PositiveNobeardKadokenPolaritieZilla360
    Madican wrote: »

The perpetrator better hope they don't have surveillance of their face or else they're gonna brie in a bit of trouble

You think you gouda done better?

AridholchromdomElvenshaeRhesus PositiveNobeardKadokenPolaritieZilla360
  • chromdomchromdom Why do bad things keep happening to me? Oh yeah, because of the things I've done.Registered User regular

You think you gouda done cheddar?

HappylilElfXaquinForarElvenshaeNobeardKadokenShadowfirePolaritieZilla360Stabbity Style

You think you gouda done better?

Come on, I'm not a munster

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    ElvenshaeFiendishrabbitNobeardKadokenZilla360Kruite
    Enough with these edam puns.

ElvenshaeNobeardKadokenZilla360Kruite
  • chromdomchromdom Why do bad things keep happening to me? Oh yeah, because of the things I've done.Registered User regular
    Does it make you bleu when we do that?

ElvenshaeNobeardZilla360Kruite
  • VishNubVishNub regular Registered User regular
    The limbergaler.

Steam = VishnuOwnz
    Dota2 = Glitchmo
    TofystedethElvenshaeCalicaZilla360Durkhanus
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit regular Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Enough with these edam puns.

I dunno. They're quite sharp. Humor cantal be high-brow.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    ElvenshaeNobeardchromdomZilla360Kruite
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    These puns are so bad I camembert it.

ElvenshaeNobeardKadokenXaquinchromdomZilla360
  • discriderdiscrider regular Registered User regular
    Yeah, too cheesy for my taste.

Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    ElvenshaeNobeardKadokenCaptain InertiaZilla360maraji
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This cheese heist is a cover for the real crimes being committed by the shadowy dairy cabal

The Hallouminati

NitsuaElvenshaeFiendishrabbitNobeardSorceRichyKadokenJacobychromdomAridholCaptain InertiaPolaritieZilla360TofystedethStabbity StyleKruitemaraji
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    f740n01tsyxc.png

NobeardNyysjanVishNubGnome-InterruptusDirtmuncherMichaelLCRchanenKadokenJacobyElvenshaeLoisLaneRhesus PositiveMayabirdSteel AngelTNTrooperShadowfireBlackDragon480CalicashrykePolaritieZilla360Tofystedethvalhalla130IceBurnerDark Raven XStabbity StyleKruiteboogedyboomaraji
    Getting real feta up with you lot. Keep it up and you might caciotta these hands.

AridholElvenshaeCaptain InertiaZilla360Kruite
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia regular Registered User regular
    American.

I ZimbraHonkXaquinKadoken