Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Bad News Gone Right]: The Return

• destroyah87destroyah87 Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    What's with these random fast-food restaurants putting out random games....?

It puts their names in the news and in peoples' mouths.

steam_sig.png
    TofystedethDuke 2.0Elvenshae
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

As long as they don't put their food in my mouth. Yuck.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Also comparatively cheap compared to the traditional ad channels. They're tossing some fraction of a percent of their advertising budget at some random indy developer/designer and hoping to go viral.

Which, ya know, we just were all talking about it so...

destroyah87Gnome-InterruptusBlackDragon480Duke 2.0OrcaKayne Red RobeLoisLaneshrykeRchanenmaraji
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm still "what?" at it being a tabletop RPG, and I love Tabletop games, I just , how did they get to that point.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'm still "what?" at it being a tabletop RPG, and I love Tabletop games, I just , how did they get to that point.

Whatever intern Wendy's gave their twitter to had ridiculous success and probably has a fair amount of latitude. They were one of the original snarky brands on twitter who were willing to say things that traditional brand management wouldn't dream of doing. (I don't doubt it wasn't actually an intern and it was intentional but they put on a good show.)

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    At least they didn't go the dating sim route.

steam_sig.png
    destroyah87TofystedethDuke 2.0RchanenElvenshaeKayne Red RobeSkeithLoisLaneCaptain Inertia
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular

Whatever intern Wendy's gave their twitter to had ridiculous success and probably has a fair amount of latitude. They were one of the original snarky brands on twitter who were willing to say things that traditional brand management wouldn't dream of doing. (I don't doubt it wasn't actually an intern and it was intentional but they put on a good show.)

Kind of like how Arby's got a ton of Twitter and Facebook shares by just occasionally posting a photo of some papercraft anime or video game thing and with maybe a vaguely Arby's related pun.

steam_sig.png
    JayKaosDevoutlyApathetic
  • m!ttensm!ttens Registered User regular
    The bacon of hope was right there and they didn't go for it.

For shame

NitsuakimeRchanenElvenshaeSorceCalicaDiplominatorFANTOMASKruiteXaquinLoisLaneshrykemarajivalhalla130
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    If you look at the world map, there are city locations that signify content for future adventures:
    The Twin Cities of Carl.
    Lake John Silver
    Temple of Panda
    The Box

Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MHGU: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
    Elvenshaewebguy20BlackDragon480shryke
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    That sounds like a lot more effort compared what I watched of a lets play of the KFC game.

destroyah87maraji
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Wendy's is also sponsoring a D&D one shot with Critical Role.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
    destroyah87ElvenshaeForarHahnsoo1IncenjucarStabbity Style
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Feriluce wrote: »

Don't be silly, it's not D&D, it's Feast of Legends, the Wendy's RPG.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    destroyah87
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Registered User regular
    Feriluce wrote: »

Tonight in less than an hour. (7pm pdt)

steam_sig.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    If you look at the world map, there are city locations that signify content for future adventures:.
    Lake John Silver

There's a combo Long John Silver's and A&W near me. I'm not big on LJS, but the A&W shares friers and oil with them so their fries wind up with a hint of the fish/chicken batter flavor and are an amazing accompaniment to a bacon cheeseburger and root beer float.

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    CalicaForarwebguy20NitsuaHappylilElfHevachEncShadowfireElvenshaeshrykeRchanenWhiteZinfandelL Ron HowardStabbity Style
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    If you look at the world map, there are city locations that signify content for future adventures:.
    Lake John Silver

There's a combo Long John Silver's and A&W near me. I'm not big on LJS, but the A&W shares friers and oil with them so their fries wind up with a hint of the fish/chicken batter flavor and are an amazing accompaniment to a bacon cheeseburger and root beer float.

We used to have two of those but they both closed.

I mourn their loss.

MichaelLCKing Riptor
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    A NEW HAND TOUCHES THE BACON

HevachOut Of ContextBlackDragon480Madpoetwebguy20RchanenL Ron HowardStabbity Stylemaraji
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 4
    There used to be a ton of Yum-brand combo restaurants in my area, KFC/Taco Bell, KFC/A&W, and KFC/Long John Silver. Only one left is a KFC/A&W and they've been scaling back the A&W menu for a long time, I imagine it probably has to with A&W and LJS not being owned by Yum anymore. They were all great, though, sharing fryers and cooking surfaces made for some delicious cross contamination, their food was just different enough to stand out from either single brand.

Edit: Google tells me Wing Street is a separate chain from Pizza Hut? I've never actually seen one without the other.

Hevach on
    BlackDragon480
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    A read the pdf (its free). A stupid amount of decent campaign building went into the module.

destroyah87ChiselphaneHahnsoo1CalicaShadowfireElvenshaewebguy20HappylilElfLoisLaneFryRchanenStabbity StylemarajiThe Sauce
  • KetarKetar Ready to feel better about your own miserable lives?Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    There used to be a ton of Yum-brand combo restaurants in my area, KFC/Taco Bell, KFC/A&W, and KFC/Long John Silver. Only one left is a KFC/A&W and they've been scaling back the A&W menu for a long time, I imagine it probably has to with A&W and LJS not being owned by Yum anymore. They were all great, though, sharing fryers and cooking surfaces made for some delicious cross contamination, their food was just different enough to stand out from either single brand.

Edit: Google tells me Wing Street is a separate chain from Pizza Hut? I've never actually seen one without the other.

According to wikipedia there's only ever been one Wing Street that wasn't connected to a Pizza Hut and it bombed badly and was closed down. All other Wing Streets are connected to Pizza Huts.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    A read the pdf (its free). A stupid amount of decent campaign building went into the module.

It's a perfectly serviceable beer & pretzels game, from what I saw.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    destroyah87LoisLane
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

It really is surprisingly good. I absolutely love how they worked snarking on other fast food into the actual game mechanics. Like if your character eats a sub sandwich, they have -2 on strength rolls for the day

Encdestroyah87SmrtnikElvenshaewebguy20ForarLoisLaneSorcemarajiThe Sauce
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 4
    More info on the background, from an insider:

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    EncBlackDragon480shrykeFiendishrabbitIncenjucarL Ron HowardNobeardmaraji
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    thats an AD&D cover from a distance

Hahnsoo1TofystedethEncchromdomNitsuaBlackDragon480Duke 2.0ShadowfireElvenshaeMoridin889ForarRhesus PositiveHappylilElfLoisLaneshrykeFryRchanenIncenjucarL Ron HowardStabbity StyleHefflingNobeardmarajivalhalla130
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    thats an AD&D cover from a distance

And a pretty nice one at that.

Steel AngelCalicaElvenshaeHappylilElfFANTOMASshrykeRchanenkimeIncenjucarL Ron HowardStabbity StyleNobeardmaraji
  • webguy20webguy20 Spends too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So what did they build it off of, the 5e SRD?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Orca
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If it were 4E I'd laugh for roughly twenty minutes straight.

And be contractually obligated to give it a whirl.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    OrcaRius
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Ars says it's somewhere between 4th and 5th edition rulesets, which doesn't really narrow it down. There's no character building; the classes come preloaded with abilities and powers.

So not Burger King; can't make an elf bard your way.

"Never believe management about anything anywhere." -Aistan
    Elvenshae
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I'm appreciating the dedication to strange and interesting marketing.

Marketing is inevitable in our society so the least they could do is make it not so fucking boring.

furlionkimewebguy20ElvenshaeAridholDrezJoolanderL Ron HowardStabbity StyleLoisLaneNobeardmarajiThe Sauce
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited October 5
    I'm impressed with the amount of what appears to be original art, in high quality. That shit ain't cheap.

Edit: OMG, the starting stats are determined by rolling 4d4, so they can work in a 4 for $4 reference, I'm dyin'

Fry on
    SorceForarfurlionRchanenkimeNitsuaSteel AngelOut Of ContextShadowfirewebguy20TNTroopershrykeBlackDragon480CalicaOrcaElvenshaeDuke 2.0Kayne Red RobeDrezJoolanderJacobyMvrckKruiteL Ron HowardBullheadStabbity StyleLoisLaneHefflingNobeardmarajiEncCaptain Inertiavalhalla130The SauceRius
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Honestly, I've gotten things from DrivethruRPG that have had less love put into them then this.

spool32 wrote:
    he pops this cobalt blue tetrahedron like he's thought of something. I'm like son, you know that's just a reskinned fireball, right?
    webguy20CalicaElvenshaemarajiEnc
  • webguy20webguy20 Spends too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    There's a lot of trust between a boss and team of employees somewhere in Wendy's Marketing department.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    FiendishrabbitshrykefurlionElvenshaeKetarDrezIncenjucarForarTofystedethBullheadStabbity StyleLoisLaneNobeardmarajiEncCaptain Inertiavalhalla130Jragghen
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/10/first-tool-use-pigs-visayan-endangered/
    Pigs recorded using tools for the first time
    One of the Visayan warty pigs—a critically endangered species native to the Philippines—picked up a piece of bark in its mouth and started digging with it, pushing the soil around. “I said, Whoa, that’s pretty cool,” says Root-Bernstein, a visiting researcher at the Musée de l’Homme in Paris and a National Geographic Explorer. “When I looked up tool use in pigs, there was nothing.”

Intrigued, the scientist returned to the menagerie at the Jardin des Plantes frequently over the following months to try to observe the behavior again, to no avail. She hypothesized that what she’d seen was related to nest-building, which Visayans generally do every six months to prepare for the arrival of piglets. Sure enough, the next spring, a colleague returned to the warty pig enclosure and recorded three of the four animals using tools to complete their nest, an earthen pit filled with leaves. (Learn more about the Visayan and its rockstar mohawk.)
    It’s very possible that wild Visayans use tools, too, she adds. Fernando “Dino” Gutierrez, president of the Philippine conservation nonprofit Talarak Foundation, Inc., which works to protect warty pigs, agrees.

A few years ago, Gutierrez witnessed a group of wild Visayans pushing rocks toward an electric fence to test it. “As soon as they push and the rocks make contact, they would wait for the clicking sound or absence thereof,” he said by email. “Clicking means the wires are hot, and they will back off and not cross; no sounds mean it is safe to investigate what’s beyond the wire.”
    Well, we should be fine as long as they don't learn how to use AK-47s and maybe gather in a group of 30-50.

FiendishrabbitfurliontynicSnicketysnickAngelHedgieXaquinElvenshaeGnome-InterruptusKayne Red RobeTynnanDuke 2.0VishNubkimeSorceKetarDrezJoolanderMvrckRhesus PositiveKruiteForarCalicaL Ron HowardSkeithTofystedethShadowfirePolaritiemjn6172Stabbity StyleHefflingNobeardmarajivalhalla130shrykeThe Sauce
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    As much as I love meat, the more we learn how intelligent many of our food animals are the more difficult it is to not feel hypocritical. I am fortunate to have the means to go vegetarian if I wanted but damn so bacon cheeseburgers taste amazing. I am trying to eat less meat though, especially pig and cow.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Bullhead
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've always known pigs were smart, but using a rock to check for live fencing is so far beyond eg my idiot dogs, that I'm now positively intimidated.

SmrtnikRchanenHappylilElfGnome-InterruptusfurlionTynnanwebguy20Duke 2.0kimeL Ron HowardSkeithStabbity StyleLoisLaneNobeardCaptain Inertiavalhalla130
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/10/first-tool-use-pigs-visayan-endangered/
    Pigs recorded using tools for the first time
    One of the Visayan warty pigs—a critically endangered species native to the Philippines—picked up a piece of bark in its mouth and started digging with it, pushing the soil around. “I said, Whoa, that’s pretty cool,” says Root-Bernstein, a visiting researcher at the Musée de l’Homme in Paris and a National Geographic Explorer. “When I looked up tool use in pigs, there was nothing.”

Intrigued, the scientist returned to the menagerie at the Jardin des Plantes frequently over the following months to try to observe the behavior again, to no avail. She hypothesized that what she’d seen was related to nest-building, which Visayans generally do every six months to prepare for the arrival of piglets. Sure enough, the next spring, a colleague returned to the warty pig enclosure and recorded three of the four animals using tools to complete their nest, an earthen pit filled with leaves. (Learn more about the Visayan and its rockstar mohawk.)
    It’s very possible that wild Visayans use tools, too, she adds. Fernando “Dino” Gutierrez, president of the Philippine conservation nonprofit Talarak Foundation, Inc., which works to protect warty pigs, agrees.

A few years ago, Gutierrez witnessed a group of wild Visayans pushing rocks toward an electric fence to test it. “As soon as they push and the rocks make contact, they would wait for the clicking sound or absence thereof,” he said by email. “Clicking means the wires are hot, and they will back off and not cross; no sounds mean it is safe to investigate what’s beyond the wire.”
    Well, we should be fine as long as they don't learn how to use AK-47s and maybe gather in a group of 30-50.

I have bad news for you on the latter

furlion wrote: »
    As much as I love meat, the more we learn how intelligent many of our food animals are the more difficult it is to not feel hypocritical. I am fortunate to have the means to go vegetarian if I wanted but damn so bacon cheeseburgers taste amazing. I am trying to eat less meat though, especially pig and cow.

Same, though I was bad at the grocery store today and picked up 1/2lb of Columbus Roast Pork and some fresh muenster for sandwiches to take to work this week. I'd been focusing on finding local cage-free poultry that isn't too outrageously expensive for my carnivorous needs.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    How much is 5k in kilometers? Did he run 5 miles or 5000 feet?

5000 miles.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    How much is 5k in kilometers? Did he run 5 miles or 5000 feet?

5000 miles.

But would he run 5000 more

kimeRhesus PositiveBlackDragon480SorceOrcaFryElvenshaeRchanenRichyfurlionDevoutlyApatheticMichaelLCA Dabble Of TheloniuschromdomForarHahnsoo1tynicwebguy20L Ron HowardTNTrooperSkeithTofystedethShadowfireSteel AngelBullheadStabbity StyleLoisLaneHefflingNobeardmarajiJoolanderDuke 2.0EncknitdanXaquinToxic ToysCaptain Inertia
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Intelligence is quite an arbitrary reason to not eat something so you can just pick a different arbitrary thing

Elvenshaetynichonovere
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Intelligence is quite an arbitrary reason to not eat something so you can just pick a different arbitrary thing

Honestly I don't find it that arbitrary. Humans often think of intelligence as our "special thing", and to eat something that shares our special thing is kind of like eating us. Since we have a strong taboo against cannibalism it we don't like to think that we're eating something similar to us.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    Gnome-Interruptusvalhalla130