Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Bad News Gone Right]: The Return

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Would you rather buy 1,000 chicken-sized horses or 1 horse-sized chicken?

Chickens are kind of awful,

wtf

chickens are lovely. you just have to be nice to them.

I think it might've been someome on this board who first summed it up so well - chickems are amazingly good at being chickens. They're not so good at being anything else, and expecting them to be just leads to problems.

Gnome-InterruptusCalicatynicElvenshaeQuidTNTrooper
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular

wtf

I think it might've been someome on this board who first summed it up so well - chickems are amazingly good at being chickens. They're not so good at being anything else, and expecting them to be just leads to problems.

y6dscibkjru9.jpg

steam_sig.png
    NitsuaBlackDragon480L Ron HowardSteel AngelRhesus PositiveMichaelLCForarElvenshaeThroNobeardmarajiDavid WalgasRMS OceanickimeLord PalingtonQuidRchanen
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Don’t forget the chicken from Yakuza 0.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 5

1,000 chicken sized horses would still be evil horses while I can pretend the horse sized chicken is a chocobo.

Couscous on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

I just now realized how terrifying they would be in real life while reading this. Like an even bigger dumber ostrich.

Chocobos aren't dumb, they're smart enough you can teach them to fight alongside you. Particularly impressive specimens can even be taught to fly.

If Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon is anything to go by, they're also smart enough to do any number of jobs including stereotypically brainy ones, like mage or alchemist or gadgeteer.

Well if final fantasy tactics is considered they are super fucking dangerous murder beasts. Beaks that can penetrate chain and even plate armor. Ability to summon giant meteors. They would make horrendous pets.

Oh, I remember the chocobolypse of 4.3 - packs of red chocobos are to be feared.

(A bit of back history - during the 4.x period of FFXIV, the 24 man raid was based on FFT, and in the early part of the quest chain for the second part, you were tasked with dealing with two red chocobos. Note the following:

* This is two red chocobos per player.
    * There are a lot of endgame players doing this quest to get into the raid.
    * Each chocobo can cast Choco Meteor, a high damage AoE spell.
    * Chocobos do not despawn when the player is killed.
    It did not take long for an angry red flock to start casting divine judgment on everyone in range, with predictable and hilarious consequences.)

The bolded is just a recipe for grief. Suicide your whole guild into the quest and just stack them up. You'd think it's something the devs would consider, but MMO design looks a lot different from the other side.

In vanilla WoW my guild couldn't kill Kazaak, but we sure as hell could tank him for hours right in the middle of a level 45ish questing area and watch his shadowbolt volley slaughter everyone. While we were doing this we even discussed how, "This seems like something the devs should have seen coming," but it wasn't until months later when another guild took him six zones away and let him loose on Stormwind that they finally caught on.

Remember when they thought a dot that could spread to nearby players was a good idea

I can kind of see their thought process there: It existed in a raid encounter. You couldn't exit the zone with the encounter active except by several means:

-Death: Clears the debuff
    -Hearthstone: dot ticks break the 10 second channel
    -Paladin bubble+hearth: Clears the debuff
    -Mage teleport: dot ticks break channel
    -Mage portal: Not castable in combat
    -Warlock summon: Not acceptable during combat

Problem: Mage portals persist if cast before combat.

That wasn't the first debuff to do this in WoW, but the others were pretty mundane - there was one from Black Wing Lair that could spread, but nobody cared - it increased Shadowflame damage, which at the time was only used by Nefarian.

kime
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

I just now realized how terrifying they would be in real life while reading this. Like an even bigger dumber ostrich.

Chocobos aren't dumb, they're smart enough you can teach them to fight alongside you. Particularly impressive specimens can even be taught to fly.

If Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon is anything to go by, they're also smart enough to do any number of jobs including stereotypically brainy ones, like mage or alchemist or gadgeteer.

Well if final fantasy tactics is considered they are super fucking dangerous murder beasts. Beaks that can penetrate chain and even plate armor. Ability to summon giant meteors. They would make horrendous pets.

Oh, I remember the chocobolypse of 4.3 - packs of red chocobos are to be feared.

(A bit of back history - during the 4.x period of FFXIV, the 24 man raid was based on FFT, and in the early part of the quest chain for the second part, you were tasked with dealing with two red chocobos. Note the following:

It did not take long for an angry red flock to start casting divine judgment on everyone in range, with predictable and hilarious consequences.)

The bolded is just a recipe for grief. Suicide your whole guild into the quest and just stack them up. You'd think it's something the devs would consider, but MMO design looks a lot different from the other side.

In vanilla WoW my guild couldn't kill Kazaak, but we sure as hell could tank him for hours right in the middle of a level 45ish questing area and watch his shadowbolt volley slaughter everyone. While we were doing this we even discussed how, "This seems like something the devs should have seen coming," but it wasn't until months later when another guild took him six zones away and let him loose on Stormwind that they finally caught on.

Remember when they thought a dot that could spread to nearby players was a good idea

I can kind of see their thought process there: It existed in a raid encounter. You couldn't exit the zone with the encounter active except by several means:

That wasn't the first debuff to do this in WoW, but the others were pretty mundane - there was one from Black Wing Lair that could spread, but nobody cared - it increased Shadowflame damage, which at the time was only used by Nefarian.

You're forgetting about Burning Adrenaline, also from BWL, being saved by dismissing pets afflicted with it then calling them when in a highly populated area. Once the timer ran out, you had a lot of dead lowbies caught in the blast radius.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    OrcaCouscousBullheadElvenshaeShadowfireNobeardmarajipainfulPleasancekimeQuid
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod

Gone right: this case was actually studied for real-world applications.

Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    SnicketysnickForarBullheadElvenshaeNitsuaL Ron HowardTofystedethSteel AngelFryBlackDragon480ShadowfireNobeardwebguy20TynnanDavid WalgaspainfulPleasanceSkeithCalicakimeLord PalingtonQuidRchanen
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    For all you people interested in horse sized chickens and chicken sized horses, theres this youtube channel that thinks about that stuff, and its great.

BlackDragon480marajiJacobyQuidRchanen
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

wtf

y6dscibkjru9.jpg

Why are you showing a picture of a perfectly ordinary high school student?

Captain InertiashrykeElvenshaeKruiteStabbity StyleL Ron HowardTofystedethSteel AngelI ZimbrachromdomBlackDragon480HappylilElfThromrpakuNobeardInquisitor77RMS OceanicMarekkimeQuidvalhalla130
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular

wtf

y6dscibkjru9.jpg

He's a chicken I tell you! A giant chicken!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    ElvenshaeKruiteL Ron HowardNobeardmarajiJacobyMarekApogee
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Chickens don’t wear cardigans

Not a chicken

CouscousRhesus PositiveMulysaSemproniusL Ron HowardTofystedethI ZimbraBlackDragon480NobeardMoridin889JacobyRMS Oceanicvalhalla130
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

You're forgetting about Burning Adrenaline, also from BWL, being saved by dismissing pets afflicted with it then calling them when in a highly populated area. Once the timer ran out, you had a lot of dead lowbies caught in the blast radius.

Molten Core actually (one of the two elementals, I think Baron Geddon?). That spawned a change in pet mechanics, which in turn cut off another hypothetical way for the Zul'urub dot to escape.

shryke
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    PROTIP: "Ain't Nothing Illegal Till You Get Caught" surmises not getting caught:
    A man who was wearing a shirt that says “Ain’t Nothing Illegal ‘Til You Get Caught” was recently arrested by Oklahoma County sheriff’s deputies, after he and another man were caught in the act of stealing an ATV, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, David Rasmussen and David Jolly were caught red-handed trying to steal an ATV from a home in the 19000 block of East Reno Avenue.

Let's be honest - what would this thread be without stupid criminals?

(Hat tip to @Jedoc from the Bad Jokes thread.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    FANTOMASL Ron HowardNitsuafurlionShadowfireElvenshaeMoridin889Inquisitor77Heffling
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

wtf

y6dscibkjru9.jpg

He's a chicken I tell you! A giant chicken!

Hey man his girl can get kinda testy if you talk bad about him just a heads up

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Rhesus PositiveKadoken
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited November 7

Chickens are kind of awful, so imagining a horse-sized chicken running around being a brainless asshole sounds like a nightmare.

abippelmp25w.jpg

Nobeard on
    I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
    ElvenshaeGnome-InterruptusSteel AngeltynicL Ron HowardTynnanInquisitor77SkeithCalicaMvrckMarekSnicketysnickvalhalla130
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 7

The fact that they're called Terror Birds should tell you plenty.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    NobeardElvenshaeMoridin889Inquisitor77SkeithForarDuke 2.0valhalla130
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited November 7
    Are those moas? I saw a stuffed moa at the natural history museum in Prague like ten years ago. It was basically a double height emu. Emus are plenty scary already.

Fry on
    Calica
    edited November 7
    Are those moas? I saw a stuffed moa at the natural history museum in Prague like ten years ago. It was basically a double height emu. Emus are plenty scary already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorusrhacidae

Not as big as the biggest moas can get (10 ft vs 12 ft) but much bigger heads and beaks in proportion to their bodies.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    tynicNobeardElvenshaeFANTOMASFryvalhalla130
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

You may have seen it at the aviary of doom

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Kadoken
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

You may have seen it at the aviary of doom

One of the lesser-known Indiana Jones movies.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    ElvenshaeNobeardMichaelLCFryRhesus PositiveDrezL Ron HowardStabbity StyleSkeithvalhalla130tynicmarajiKadoken
    edited November 7
    Brits on lookout for hardened criminals after £1M sex toy robbery:
    The incident happened on Wednesday, September 18, between 1am and 6.30am, in the layby between the A14 and Broughton village, and involved a lorry travelling from Felixstowe to Kettering in order to deliver its load to Rocks Off Ltd, based at the aptly-named Satisfaction House in Cunliffe Drive. The company is the UK's leading sex toy manufacturer and designer.

At some point between 1am and 6.30am, the trailer was broken into and £1million worth of goods were stolen.

Edit:The local constabluary has put out a notice on Twitter:

The internet has, unsurprisingly, internetted over this.

AngelHedgie on
    NobeardAridholPolaritieBlackDragon480ElvenshaeSkeithpainfulPleasanceTNTrooper
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Study finds that rats love driving tiny cars, even when they don’t get treats
    Rats that learn to drive are more able to cope with stress. That might sound like the fever-dream of a former scientist-turned-car writer, but it's actually one of the results of a new study from the University of Richmond. The aim of the research was to see what effect the environment a rat was raised in had on its ability to learn new tasks. Although that kind of thing has been studied in the past, the tests haven't been particularly complicated. Anyone who has spent time around rats will know they're actually quite resourceful. So the team, led by Professor Kelly Lambert, came up this time with something a little more involved than navigating a maze: driving.

If you're going to teach rats to drive, first you need to build them a car (or Rat Operated Vehicle). The chassis and powertrain came from a robot car kit, and a transparent plastic food container provided the body. Explaining the idea of a steering wheel and pedals to rats was probably too difficult, so the controls were three copper wires stretched across an opening cut out of the front of the bodywork and an aluminum plate on the floor. When a rat stood on the plate and gripped a copper bar, a circuit was completed and the motors engaged; one bar made the car turn to the left, one made it turn to the right, and the third made it go straight ahead.

. . .

The subjects were 11 male rats, five of whom lived together in a large cage with multiple surface levels and objects to play with, and six who lived together in pairs in standard laboratory rat cages. Although both groups of rats learned to drive the car, the ones that lived in the enriched environment were quicker to start driving, and they continued to be more interested in driving even when there was no reward on offer beyond the thrill of the wind in one's fur.

. . .

Serious scientists usually refrain from imputing any further emotion onto research animals, but I'm no longer a serious scientist, so I'm happy saying that learning to drive made the rats more well-adjusted. And the study has further value; these complex activities may be more useful tests in rat models of neuropsychiatry than those in current use.
    1UR_RatCar_withRat-1440x1868.jpg

Ferraris for Algernon

NobeardFryRhesus PositiveBlackDragon480ElvenshaeThroLord PalingtonMichaelLCRchanentynicmaraji
  • chromdomchromdom Why do bad things keep happening to me? Oh yeah, because of the things I've done.Registered User regular
    edited November 7
    Brits on lookout for hardened criminals after £1M sex toy robbery:
    The incident happened on Wednesday, September 18, between 1am and 6.30am, in the layby between the A14 and Broughton village, and involved a lorry travelling from Felixstowe to Kettering in order to deliver its load to Rocks Off Ltd, based at the aptly-named Satisfaction House in Cunliffe Drive. The company is the UK's leading sex toy manufacturer and designer.

At some point between 1am and 6.30am, the trailer was broken into and £1million worth of goods were stolen.

Edit:The local constabluary has put out a notice on Twitter:

The internet has, unsurprisingly, internutted over this.

ftfy

chromdom on
    AridholNobeardElvenshaeInquisitor77NitsuaSkeithL Ron HowardTNTrooperRchanenvalhalla130tynicmarajiMoridin889
    They found a way to make Desert Bus more soul-sucking:
    Airplane Mode delivers all the thrills of a real-time, six-hour commercial airline flight—in Coach. At least you've got a window seat. Buckle up.

Available in 2020.

DoodmannElvenshaeBlackDragon480L Ron HowardTofystedethpainfulPleasanceTNTrooperNobeardTynnanMichaelLCShadowfireOrcaRchanenAridholSkeithmarajiFryKadokenMoridin889Scooter
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Airplane Mode delivers all the thrills of a real-time, six-hour commercial airline flight—in Coach. At least you've got a window seat. Buckle up.

Available in 2020.

what would your input(s) even be for that?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

Available in 2020.

Now this is really a prime candidate for VR support.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    discriderOrcamarajiMoridin889
    Doodmann wrote: »

Available in 2020.

Part of what makes Desert Bus what it is is that the bus has a misalignment in its steering so it constantly drifts a little in on direction making the player need to pay attention to keep the bus on the road. It's not just the monotony of the subject matter, it's that the player can't just go on autopilot.

Steam Profile
    Duke 2.0TofystedethDoodmannFiendishrabbitShadowfireOrcaRchanenRhesus PositiveForarMoridin889
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular

Available in 2020.

Apparently it's literally just a simulation. So open your tray, lean back, talk to crew, etc.

DoodmannElvenshae
    The craziest is you know that out there, somewhere, someone is buying reclaimed airliner seats, super excited that they'll finally be able to create the perfect coach flight VR simulation.

DoodmannpainfulPleasanceElvenshaekimeNobeardSmrtnikRchanentynicshrykewebguy20L Ron Howard
  • painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance Registered User regular
    edited November 8

Available in 2020.

Avoid blood clots by walking down the aisle to the bathroom even if you don't need it. Discover for yourself whether pooping in VR makes you poop for real!

painfulPleasance on
    DoodmannkimeRchanenL Ron Howard
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 8
    Most immersive sudoku simulator of all time.

Edit: presumably as paid DLC.

see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Apparently, the Desert Bus For Hope team will be doing an Airplane Mode run as part of this year's festivities.

ElvenshaeTofystedethNobeardJacobyBlackDragon480ShadowfireRchanenvalhalla130PolaritieshrykeNyysjanpainfulPleasanceL Ron Howard
    Quid wrote: »
    The craziest is you know that out there, somewhere, someone is buying reclaimed airliner seats, super excited that they'll finally be able to create the perfect coach flight VR simulation.

I'm now imagining vr commercial flight sims with multiplayer where two players can be pilots and others act as passengers.

Steam Profile
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

I'm now imagining vr commercial flight sims with multiplayer where two players can be pilots and others act as passengers.

Don't forget about flight attendants. And with air traffic controllers you can make a persistent world with multiple flights.

steam_sig.png
    kimeElvenshaemrpakuwebguy20Moridin889L Ron Howard

Don't forget about flight attendants. And with air traffic controllers you can make a persistent world with multiple flights.

I swear I've heard of people that RP air traffic controllers in Discord, Ventrilo, and the like for people playing flight sims. Flight sim fans can be very dedicated fans.

Steam Profile
    NobeardGnome-InterruptusElvenshaeOrcaRhesus PositivemarajiFrywebguy20Moridin889L Ron Howard

I swear I've heard of people that RP air traffic controllers in Discord, Ventrilo, and the like for people playing flight sims. Flight sim fans can be very dedicated fans.

People do it.

Back before GTA multiplayer, servers ran modified versions with some of them dedicated to roleplaying the actual jobs.

One guy was slowly and carefully driving a street sweeper up and down the curbs.

ElvenshaeOrcaRchanenkimePolaritieForarshrykemrpakuwebguy20Moridin889L Ron Howard

People do it.

Back before GTA multiplayer, servers ran modified versions with some of them dedicated to roleplaying the actual jobs.

One guy was slowly and carefully driving a street sweeper up and down the curbs.

At this point I'm just waiting for a VR Zachtronics-like multiplayer game where players work together to create the next VR Zachtronics-like multiplayer game.

Steam Profile
    ElvenshaeRchanenTofystedethPolaritieQuidshrykeMoridin889L Ron Howard
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

People do it.

At this point I'm just waiting for a VR Zachtronics-like multiplayer game where players work together to create the next VR Zachtronics-like multiplayer game.

Sign me up for the guy who drives the Uber for Dave from accounts when his wife has the car.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

People do it.

Sign me up for the guy who drives the Uber for Dave from accounts when his wife has the car.

Don't do that, he's going to talk about CrossFit the whole goddam time.

HappylilElfForarmrpakuSteel AngelL Ron Howard
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Tastyfish wrote: »

People do it.

Don't do that, he's going to talk about CrossFit the whole goddam time.

I'd turn it around on him and inform him that his shitty form on Olympic lifts is the reason he keeps fucking up his back.

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!