As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You're The [chat]

Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready.We Hunt.Registered User regular
edited April 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
"You're the Voice" is a song written by Andy Qunta, Keith Reid, Maggie Ryder and Chris Thompson, and recorded by the Australian singer John Farnham for his album Whispering Jack, released in 1986. "You're the Voice" was one of the biggest hits of 1986 in Australia. The song was also awarded the 1987 ARIA Award for "Single of the Year".

"You're the Voice" would re-enter the Australian singles chart more than 25 years after its original release (reaching No. 64), thanks to its appearance (to advertise the company's SYNC voice control system) in a 2012 Ford TV commercial.

It was a huge hit in Australia, Sweden, and Germany, but it barely made a blip in the US at all. It is notable for a weird-ass Bagpipe solo in the middle.
https://youtu.be/tbkOZTSvrHs

Heart did a cover of the song in 1991, becoming a minor hit in the US:
https://youtu.be/HQNxrdlk7-g

About 1 million women transformed ‘You’re the Voice’ into a powerful anthem from women for climate action and hope. Featuring the lyrics ‘we’re not going to sit in silence, we’re not going to live in fear’ – the Anthem came at a pivotal time as the world forged a new treaty to prevent dangerous global warming at the climate change summit in Paris (COP21) last year. I love the new "whoa-oh-OH-oh" section, and the rockabilly/folk "We Will Rock You" steady beat. And the video is excellent, in black-and-white.
https://youtu.be/7-3FuApUbnc

Naturally 7 did a cover of this song, which is pretty awesome.
https://youtu.be/svSexiebYLo

Finally, I got turned onto a Finnish A Cappella group called Club For Five who did a Pentatonix-like cover of it (they predate Pentatonix by quite a few years). I'm all about THAT bass!:
https://youtu.be/xnLbHtwQlHg

Which version of "You're The Voice" is your favorite?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
Hahnsoo1 on

You're The [chat] 12 votes

The Original. 80s Power Ballad all the way!
58%
JacobkoshDisruptedCapitalistcptruggedChanusdiscriderIlpalaHavelock2.0 7 votes
Heart Did It Better
33%
MulysaSemproniusFeralBrodyNeco 4 votes
Women for Climate Action! Save the World!
8%
Hahnsoo1 1 vote
Naturally 7's Smooth Sounds
0%
Club For Five... I'm into those Finnish accents
0%
«13456797

Posts

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man this is a loaded poll I abstain as is my cultural heritage.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I listened for like 20 seconds and came to the conclusion that all music is terrible

    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Heart Did It Better
    I can't help it, Heart has my heart.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    @navgoose I haven't tossed any disc yet this spring. I should do that on Monday when I'm back home

    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Women for Climate Action! Save the World!
    I'm currently in the middle of writing an arrangement of this song, so I've been doing a lot of research into it and all of the covers that I can find. There's some fun ones out there! There's one where John Farnham sings with a huge live orchestra, complete with bagpipers. There's another one where a much older John Farnham sings the solo along with Coldplay at an Australian concert, and everyone in the crowd is singing along.

    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This is a really exciting turn of events that Days Gone is released and is totally fine but not great.

    Like all of the circumstantial evidence of homicide on Sony's part and in the end there was no body.

    PSN: Honkalot
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Never heard of it.

  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Bad bitch contest you’re in first place

  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oh I've heard this song before.

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    This is a really exciting turn of events that Days Gone is released and is totally fine but not great.

    Like all of the circumstantial evidence of homicide on Sony's part and in the end there was no body.

    So people started shit....for the clicks?

    Arthur.jpg

    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I mean

    It’s still a game that will fade into obscurity almost instantly

  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    This is the best version:

    https://youtu.be/jVjgY427qW8

    @Hahnsoo1 you should add a Hot Rod poll option.

    Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Bad bitch contest you’re in first place

    https://youtu.be/XaCrQL_8eMY

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't even know what shit was being started? Like Days gone looked like a generic open world post apoc game, and reviews are saying "yep its that with some bugs and predictable story"

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2019
    Honk wrote: »
    This is a really exciting turn of events that Days Gone is released and is totally fine but not great.

    Like all of the circumstantial evidence of homicide on Sony's part and in the end there was no body.

    So people started shit....for the clicks?

    Arthur.jpg

    No I wouldn't call it that, there was blood in Sony's trunk here but there was some logical explanation to it I guess.

    Having the appearance of trying to bury it by putting date after date that coincided with much bigger games. Introducing a refund policy to basically go along with the game.

    Etc.

    Maybe the people setting dates at Sony had 25 really bad work days, specifically when dealing with this game and no other ones.

    Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The appeal of Days Gone is that you play as a dipshit biker.

  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    hello new chat
    you're much better than the old chat
    they were douchebags

    Bless your heart.
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I don't even know what shit was being started? Like Days gone looked like a generic open world post apoc game, and reviews are saying "yep its that with some bugs and predictable story"

    Tbf I guess some people may have had feelings

  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I've had the worst stomach today and I'll be honest I will probably get dinner at Mac Don Alds later.

    PSN: Honkalot
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I’ve heard that having feelings is a thing some people do sometimes

  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Women for Climate Action! Save the World!
    I have... feelings about the Finnish accents of the Club for Five female singers.

    4976b05108972f9a4fa6330898231d3955b3e5b7535c55dd2d33cf3022148361.jpg

    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Bad bitch contest you’re in first place

    https://youtu.be/XaCrQL_8eMY

    She was pretty mad about that pitchfork review huh

  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Update: MrMrMister is safe, at least for now. By contrast, his work friend just got told she could either quit or keep working full time for half pay :?

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I’ve heard that having feelings is a thing some people do sometimes

    My wife always asks "which one of the two"

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I’ve heard that having feelings is a thing some people do sometimes

    Gonna need some citations there for such an outlandish claim

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    These are nesting zombies apparently. That intrigues me.

  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    As a quarter finn I know that a finnish accent is just anything you say while you're naked in a sauna and brandishing a knife.

    PSN: Honkalot
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I've had the worst stomach today and I'll be honest I will probably get dinner at Mac Don Alds later.


    That’s right

    You don’t negotiate with terrorists

  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    She’s worked there for >20 years, abolish capitalism

  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Women for Climate Action! Save the World!
    Honk wrote: »
    As a quarter finn I know that a finnish accent is just anything you say while you're naked in a sauna and brandishing a knife.
    That is the exact feeling that I have put into words!

    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I’ve heard that having feelings is a thing some people do sometimes

    My wife always asks "which one of the two"

    Love or Double Love

  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Update: MrMrMister is safe, at least for now. By contrast, his work friend just got told she could either quit or keep working full time for half pay :?

    what the fuck

    so they won't fire her so she can collect unemployment

    that's fucking crazy

    like that seems like it should be illegal...?

    vRyue2p.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I’ve heard that having feelings is a thing some people do sometimes

    My wife always asks "which one of the two"

    Love or Double Love

    This is actually a joke I stole, because for me its just the emotion. Horny.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Women for Climate Action! Save the World!
    Preacher wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I’ve heard that having feelings is a thing some people do sometimes

    My wife always asks "which one of the two"

    Love or Double Love

    This is actually a joke I stole, because for me its just the emotion. Horny.
    No Double Love without the Double Glove.

    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm going back down to the lab now to continue packing these two freight pallets with 150 kg of steel parts on them, which is what I do after 6pm when I finish my other jobs of print and video and web and 3D design and systems responsible for implementing translation services for 12 languages. Byeeeeeeee eeeee

    PSN: Honkalot
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    This chat has reminded me Hot Rod is a fantastically weird movie and has become a reference point between me and my friends. Its fun because you can make a bunch of movie reference and no one knows because no one saw that movie.

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I’ve heard that having feelings is a thing some people do sometimes

    My wife always asks "which one of the two"

    Love or Double Love

    This is actually a joke I stole, because for me its just the emotion. Horny.

    I'm horny for anger

    Horny for sadness

    Horny for fear

This discussion has been closed.