As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vampire: The Masquerade] Tremere and their BFFs, together at last

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    People who know more about the clans, what clan do you think the hallway is for and why?

All the other images were fairly obvious even to me(I didn't realize they existed at first but once I saw them it kinda took away the guessing aspect). But the hallway doesn't jump out as super specific outside of maybe being some kind of underground tunnel so maybe Nos? I dunno.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I assume Nosferatu, because they are generally the ones that live in holes.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    I feel like we're 100% getting Malkavian, whether on launch or one of the free DLC ones. It was such a huge fan favorite in the first game -- they're going to get it in there somehow.

Given how much extra dialogue would need to be written for malks (or game systems nosferatu), I'd bet the DLC clans would mostly just be ones that have different power sets

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Malkavian, possibly! As far as game systems for Nosferatu -- Bloodlines 1 is super light on them. It was just the sewers, the occasional line of "oh shit sorry you're a burn victim" dialogue, and "oh hey I can just use obfuscate everywhere once I get the level that lets me run while it's active".

The post-release DLC they have planned also sounds...planned. Like "Hey we can complete the game in X time, and may as well release it before we have Y time to finish all of the clans", since they're presumably on different workflow pipelines. I don't think it's particularly wacky to think they can record Malkavian dialogue alongside the rest of the game and release it all when the full thing is ready.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Is this still planned for 1st person only? It looks like it will have a decent character creator and those always feel so wasted in 1st person games.

• Options
    Hellbore wrote: »
    Is this still planned for 1st person only? It looks like it will have a decent character creator and those always feel so wasted in 1st person games.

Yeah, the word thus far is 1st person only, but with "action camera" moments -- like it will pull out when you're climbing a wall or something like that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

Yeah, the word thus far is 1st person only, but with "action camera" moments -- like it will pull out when you're climbing a wall or something like that.

I think it was mentioned it would also have a cinematic cut for stuff like big hits and kills.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »

I think it was mentioned it would also have a cinematic cut for stuff like big hits and kills.

Sounds very much like the modern Deus Exes. I'm okay with that.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Plus whenever you go into your menu to look at gear and stuff I'm sure you will see your character there. So that's certainly not wasted imo.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I might not see how i look, but i know how i look, and that matters.
    Ability to make the character your own by designing their looks makes the rare glimpses of their face all the more impactful.

• Options
    Well we all knew it but Ventrue is next.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/22/18634675/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2-trailer-ventrue

Next wednesday will be the one that shows us a bit better on what they are doing with the powers.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/JtuRwOi6S_Q

Something about the VA feels off, can't put my finger on it.

Maybe they're laying it on just a bit thick.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I think the narration doesn't make a whole lot of sense. "People think that power was taken from them, but in fact it will rain on them"? It just feels awkwardly phrased to me.

Also, how comfortable would a vampire be with a lit cigarette in their hand? With a lit person a few feet away? I don't quite remember how the Rötschreck rules work.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    A lit cigarette would be a 1 difficulty check, a lit person a few feet away probably a difficult one. The first Bloodlines let you use a flamethrower, so...

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I bet the ventrue that lights someone on fire then fails his check and runs away to hide in the bathroom feels a bit silly.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I bet the ventrue that lights someone on fire then fails his check and runs away to hide in the bathroom feels a bit silly.

"Will you burn the willpower to not run away screaming?"
    "Uh, yes."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    This is why you have ghouls.

• Options
    Rotschrek is one of those things that often gets forgotten in tabletop (along with frenzy generally). Lighting a cigarette is supposed to be kind of a flex, showing how not scared you are.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I looked at v20 rules, they do have an exception for flames that are clearly innocuous (ie a candle in a holder or inside a lantern, a torch being held by a known ally not being used offensively, an enclosed fireplace, etc) or under the direct control of the vampire.

So the flamethrower or guy set on fire would probably be ok as long as the curtains or carpet didn’t catch fire, but once the vampire has reason to believe the fire is no longer completely contained its frenzy check time.

Its a judgement call though, you could also argue that seeing someone literally burned alive carries a psychological aspect that should force a check.

No idea as to if that is different in v5 though.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    There's a Polygon interview where Mitsoda says the game has little at all to do with the tabletop game beyond general lore.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2019/5/22/18634763/vampire-masquerade-bloodlines-2-writers-interview

• Options
    The fact that it's a first person ARPG means that any attempt to stick mechanically to VTM would be folly. If it were an isometric, party-style RPG maybe they would want to be more faithful, but it would be a real square peg in a round hole for Bloodlines

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I like it! It's kind of hilarious that after Requiem's "throw out the metaplot/lore and streamline the gameplay", after X amount of years I'm now totally cool with "ahhh we don't really care about the tabletop rules, but yes you're getting the lore!"

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bloodlines 1 pretty much kicked all the rules out of the window too, so there's precedent. Almost nothing in there works the way it does on tabletop.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    This is WoD, not D&D. The lore is over half of the damn P&P books.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Before V5 the franchise considered having functional rules to be an extremely vulgar practise.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Before V5 the franchise considered having functional rules to be an extremely vulgar practise.

Yeah but only mages give a shit about if something is vulgar or not.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    And the last clan is Malk!

They went with Dementation and Auspex.

See! I told ya guys, they totally can give each clan a unique power. There's no need to stick perfectly to the rules as they already haven't. They are trying to make their own game here.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Hooray Malkavians! I knew they would wind up in there one way or another; at launch works for me!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So maybe Lasombra is DLC? Hoping for something Sabbat flavored.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PJ285xw.jpg
    https://youtu.be/_s7O0OWohvE
    LOVE their outfit.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So maybe Lasombra is DLC? Hoping for something Sabbat flavored.

Yea Lasombra, Gangrel, Nos would all be clans that could fit the whole 1 main discipline per clan thing they are going with.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    PJ285xw.jpg
    https://youtu.be/_s7O0OWohvE
    LOVE their outfit.

Game Pre-ordered!

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Well I know who I'll be playing in my second playthrough!

Now to figure out who I play first.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    I've been pretty excited for the Malkavian reveal because of how many people have said "there's no way they'll do that it'd be too cool"

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Well I know who I'll be playing in my second playthrough!

Now to figure out who I play first.

Toreador.

You may be dead, but at least you are hotttt.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    People always say that but I played malkavian on my first playthrough and loved it , it without the context of knowing what’s going on things just seem like typical crazy nonsense malks spout.

• Options
    I played Malkavian first and still had a great time, but would also recommend that people don't do that.

Malkavian is also my least favourite clan to play in the original!

• Options
    edited May 2019
    My one and only playthrough of the first game was as Malk.

It was a pretty fun experience!

Also interesting, neither one of the Malk powers is a Masquerade violation.

The only clan to get that.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Ventrue or bust for first run.

That said, I'm interested to see how Dementation plays out in this one. Dementation/Dominate had some pretty significant overlap, I'd like to see them be a bit more distinct.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I have to play Tremere first. I love me some good blood magic.

Malk is for the 2nd playthrough.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?