As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Vampire: The Masquerade] Tremere and their BFFs, together at last

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I straight up asked in their twitter feed about the previous writing being intact or not, and with them seeming radio silent on the subject, I think it's safe to assume they just wiped it all out and started from scratch, which makes me sad, but I guess we all saw it coming.

y3H3Fa4.png
    DrovekKarozjdarksunFiatilFencingsax
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I would love it if you were just some random neonate that particular Elder sired and then used some six dots in Dementation and Dominate to make you utterly believe that you were totally an Elder, for reals, while they just did Elder things in the background and the climax is just "Wow really did you honestly think you, some random person doing things, were an Elder? Seriously? Holy shit you are beyond stupid. Also, get back to work, because I have six dots in Dementation and Dominate and you can't tell me no"

but that would require balls and I don't think anyone would really be willing to do that in spite of it being the most Vampire: The Masquerade shit to happen

"A vamp chooses, a thinblood obeys."

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    GiantGeek2020KarozjdarksunKoopahTroopahFencingsaxBlackDragon480Elldren
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I think the Elder thing can certainly be interesting. But my fear is an elder being naturally drawn towards status quo stuff, potentially limiting some of the factional politics stuff available.

As a "Requiem was better" player, I enjoyed the multi-faction story it seemed like they were pitching and I am worried about something more simple.

AlphaRomero
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I dunno, an awakened elder during a power shakeup can work perfectly.

The active status quo has a vested interest in you not coming to power, unless it is working for them/upholding what they already have (though you could take it over yourself) whereas anarchs and whatnot would want to recruit you to destroy the current power structure.

Combined with the fish out of water of catching up with the modern era I think it could be a great premise.

LucascraftSir CarcassDracomicronFencingsaxrahkeesh2000GiantGeek2020Elldren
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Didn't Redemption already kind of do the 'Elder vampire in the modern age' thing?

Or is Christof not officially an 'Elder', but is merely centuries old?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Didn't Redemption already kind of do the 'Elder vampire in the modern age' thing?

Or is Christof not officially an 'Elder', but is merely centuries old?

Well, he would be in the literal sense, but he was "only" like sixth or seventh generation, I think, so I guess it depends on what kind of elder we're talking about here. At that level, that's usually just average for a Prince, but higher than that, you get into Methuselah Archon or Primogen territory.

y3H3Fa4.png
    As AlphaRomero said, Christof is Christof with all the charm and foibles that goes into it.

While we and he knew who he was and the overall mission, we won't have that same knowledge at least starting out with this new elder so there is room to grow and role play IMO but ultimately we'll see.

rahkeesh2000
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The creative director being the Gears Tactics guy is interesting. That game was an inch wide but a mile deep when it came to the interaction of story vs. gameplay. Since this game, by necessity, will need highly interactive story elements to go along with deep and variable gameplay, watching how it unfolds will be interesting.

Drovek
    edited September 4
    Neat, I enjoyed those games.

Shadows of New York has some great art and excellent soundtracks.

https://youtu.be/G0BTlzU86qI?si=NUUeEP3_Ruwm4wsU

Karoz on
    cj iwakura
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Didn't they can the writing team last time? So I'm not shocked if they're starting over.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Didn't they can the writing team last time? So I'm not shocked if they're starting over.

They almost cancelled the entire game until a pitch, presumably from someone at TCR, saved the game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Aegeri wrote: »

They almost cancelled the entire game until a pitch, presumably from someone at TCR, saved the game.

Just wish they hadn't tossed out the baby with the proverbial bath water by canning the whole writing team.

y3H3Fa4.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Just wish they hadn't tossed out the baby with the proverbial bath water by canning the whole writing team.

The thing is it was always going to be a new vision and story. TCR are a very strong narrative team and I'm sure they would want to do their own story, not do what the old developers were going for. Personally I always hated the Thin Blood start and so I'm glad that got thrown in the bin.

Sir CarcassElldren
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The thing is it was always going to be a new vision and story. TCR are a very strong narrative team and I'm sure they would want to do their own story, not do what the old developers were going for. Personally I always hated the Thin Blood start and so I'm glad that got thrown in the bin.

I wasn't a huge fan either, but the factions and such sounded fantastic.

y3H3Fa4.png
    FiatilGiantGeek2020
    I'm willing to give TCR a chance, but let's just hope the game comes out this time.

Fencingsaxcj iwakuraMoridin889KarozZombie GandhiFiatilKoopahTroopahjdarksunJazzGiantGeek2020Elldren
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 5
    Yeah I didn't really care a bunch about the Thin Blood stuff -- that was the least interesting part of the whole setup.

It was mostly just comforting knowing that there were people there that "got" Bloodlines. Any time you get a sequel by a different studio years later, it's comforting to know it has some kind of ties to the game you loved.

That's not to say it's necessary of course. BG3 is a recent example of that.

It just makes me reset a little bit, and ask the basic questions. Like someone asked earlier -- it's not just going to be bleak, right? Do we still get humor and night clubs and the "lighter side" of Kindred society that Bloodlines did so well? Being an awakened elder seems cool! But are they going to have enough flexibility in their personality to fit the character I want to make, and enough flexibility to make me want to do different playthroughs? How varied will the clan disciplines be? Are they going to keep the "Deus Ex roots" of Bloodlines 1 and let you sneak and persuade and smarts your way through things instead of just combat? Are we getting lots of sidequests and hubs, or will it be more linear?

That's the basic Bloodlines formula to me I guess. I want content to enable multiple, varied playthroughs (that's the blurb on the old PC Gamer announcement article of BL1 that made me really excited as someone with no exposure to the license!), good and fun writing, and a semi-open world where I can soak in the vibes and the atmosphere that it was so great at. Thinblood or elder is window dressing and both can work. BL1 fudged that really hard -- you're a newborn, but gain power very very fast and have certain powerful elders being like "Wow something weird is going on with how strong they are", but no real official explanation for the power curve. That's the least of my concerns.

If I want to be a little hot takey -- switching it to a generational freak snow storm in Seattle seems like the worst way to be able to soak up gothy night club vibes, and speaks to a pretty bleak atmosphere when it's a conscious change. But it's way too early to actually tell and I would love to be wrong.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    AlphaRomeroZombie GandhiLanlaornjdarksunFencingsaxGiantGeek2020Elldren
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't really care a bunch about the Thin Blood stuff -- that was the least interesting part of the whole setup.

It was mostly just comforting knowing that there were people there that "got" Bloodlines. Any time you get a sequel by a different studio years later, it's comforting to know it has some kind of ties to the game you loved.

That's not to say it's necessary of course. BG3 is a recent example of that.

It just makes me reset a little bit, and ask the basic questions. Like someone asked earlier -- it's not just going to be bleak, right? Do we still get humor and night clubs and the "lighter side" of Kindred society that Bloodlines did so well? Being an awakened elder seems cool! But are they going to have enough flexibility in their personality to fit the character I want to make, and enough flexibility to make me want to do different playthroughs? How varied will the clan disciplines be? Are they going to keep the "Deus Ex roots" of Bloodlines 1 and let you sneak and persuade and smarts your way through things instead of just combat? Are we getting lots of sidequests and hubs, or will it be more linear?

That's the basic Bloodlines formula to me I guess. I want content to enable multiple, varied playthroughs (that's the blurb on the old PC Gamer announcement article of BL1 that made me really excited as someone with no exposure to the license!), good and fun writing, and a semi-open world where I can soak in the vibes at the atmosphere that it was so great at. Thinblood or elder is window dressing and both can work. BL1 fudged that really hard -- you're a newborn, but gain power very very fast and have certain powerful elders being like "Wow something weird is going on with how strong they are", but no real official explanation for the power curve. That's the least of my concerns.

If I want to be a little hot takey -- switching it to a generational freak snow storm in Seattle seems like the worst way to be able to soak up gothy night club vibes, and speaks to a pretty bleak atmosphere when it's a conscious change. But it's way too early to actually tell and I would love to be wrong.

I was saying that earlier about the comedy and the sexy side of being a vampire. I've played some of the mini games they've released but they're all generally bleak or just on the drama side of things. I honestly think the snow storm is just an excuse to not have lots of NPCs on the streets. Maybe something like Bloodlines wouldn't fly today but it never bothered me that were like 5 people roaming the streets, and I didn't think of your point in how that kind of weather might limit us interacting with the general people on the street, the mobile blood banks, the weird cops, etc. I guess it depends how much of a freak storm it is, but it does concern me what it's covering for because while snow in gothic tales is good, not sure what a snowstorm adds to a vampire tale apart from offering opportunities to make content more linear.

Fiatilrahkeesh2000
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 5
    It’s a race against time before the snow melts and floods their sub-basement lair in pioneer square.

Which is sub basement because they came here for the gold rush and then they raised pioneer square over their head while they slept. They woke up due to digging the 99 tunnel.

Mobility powers block new sections of the city because everything is uphill from pioneer square and walking is impossible on the black ice. Also the light rail is single tracking so it’s going to be 30 minutes till you can leave for cap hill.

The plot of the game revolves around or elders disgust for how the people treat homeless. They’re almost as bad as our protagonist is and our protagonist *eats them*

Seattle in the winter already offers some unique ideas just because of how far north it is* and I don’t think we need snow to make this new buuut…

It’s also possible it’s a graphics cludge. Seattle in the winter is wet. And not like “oh it rains” it’s just like everything is wet forever. Dry snow is easier to render than wet cobblestone streets. And getting the like… flat light disappearing all the markings on a street to look good in a way people would be like “ahh yes this is correct” instead of thinkings it’s a graphics artifact seems more difficult.

*northernmost city in the continental US and further north than all major Canadian cities except Vancouver. (Though also at the same time further south than Paris!) but the overcast days make it seem more north as clearer it is the more twilight(atmospheric scattering from the sun when it is below the horizon) is visible and Seattle is surrounded by relatively tall mountains making the visible light time even shorter.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    FleebFencingsaxGiantGeek2020
    edited September 6
    Goumindong wrote: »
    It’s a race against time before the snow melts and floods their sub-basement lair in pioneer square.

Which is sub basement because they came here for the gold rush and then they raised pioneer square over their head while they slept. They woke up due to digging the 99 tunnel.

Mobility powers block new sections of the city because everything is uphill from pioneer square and walking is impossible on the black ice. Also the light rail is single tracking so it’s going to be 30 minutes till you can leave for cap hill.

The plot of the game revolves around or elders disgust for how the people treat homeless. They’re almost as bad as our protagonist is and our protagonist *eats them*

Seattle in the winter already offers some unique ideas just because of how far north it is* and I don’t think we need snow to make this new buuut…

It’s also possible it’s a graphics cludge. Seattle in the winter is wet. And not like “oh it rains” it’s just like everything is wet forever. Dry snow is easier to render than wet cobblestone streets. And getting the like… flat light disappearing all the markings on a street to look good in a way people would be like “ahh yes this is correct” instead of thinkings it’s a graphics artifact seems more difficult.

*northernmost city in the continental US and further north than all major Canadian cities except Vancouver. (Though also at the same time further south than Paris!) but the overcast days make it seem more north as clearer it is the more twilight(atmospheric scattering from the sun when it is below the horizon) is visible and Seattle is surrounded by relatively tall mountains making the visible light time even shorter.

Lol this actually does bring up another concern.

The old devs picked Seattle because they get Seattle. The studio is there and it's clearly something they care about. Pretty obvious Troika had some love/nostalgia for LA goth culture at that time (studio was nearby in Irvine). And I mean come on, look at those pictures of Mitsoda in his little fingerless gloves -- dude has been to some gothy night clubs in his time.

New studio...is British. I don't think they would have chosen Seattle if they were making this game from scratch. Given that the only thing they say they are re-using is some of the assets, preeetty sure they just stuck with Seattle because Paradox wanted to use at least something from the old studio. Will they give it the love and care it needs to feel alive? Do they have the knowledge to make it feel right?

I hope so!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 6
    At this point I'd probably settle for a cool vampire story that supports multiple approaches/playstyles. I think you just have to accept that this is not going to be Bloodlines 1 but better.

rahkeesh2000 on
    DemonStacey
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

The more Twilight there is, the clearer it is because it sparkles?

steam_sig.png
    At this point I'd probably settle for a cool vampire story that supports multiple approaches/playstyles. I think you just have to accept that this is not going to be Bloodlines 1 but better.

Ahhh at no point during this entire fiasco have I expected it to be bloodlines 1 but better, even with Mitsoda on board. I just want it to hit some of the same high level beats that made bloodlines 1 the cult classic it is, that has weirdly become enough of a "brand" to get a sequel.

I don't need "it must be set in LA and have cameos of all of my favorite characters with the same voice actors", it would just be a shame for a game that's so widely acknowledged for having a great atmosphere to have a follow up that lacks in it.

But this is all theorycrafting at the moment. They could knock it out of the park, or not. We still know so very little despite the reveal.

steam_sig.png
    Zombie Gandhi

Ahhh at no point during this entire fiasco have I expected it to be bloodlines 1 but better, even with Mitsoda on board. I just want it to hit some of the same high level beats that made bloodlines 1 the cult classic it is, that has weirdly become enough of a "brand" to get a sequel.

I don't need "it must be set in LA and have cameos of all of my favorite characters with the same voice actors", it would just be a shame for a game that's so widely acknowledged for having a great atmosphere to have a follow up that lacks in it.

But this is all theorycrafting at the moment. They could knock it out of the park, or not. We still know so very little despite the reveal.

It is theorycrafting but I don't think a single person expected "set in LA" or cameos from a single Bloodlines 1 character? Did anyone? I expect hubs and insane freedom of choice combined with dark comedy to just plain dark and the ability to tackle this as one of any Vampire clan. If you don't offer that it's not Bloodlines 2 it;s just a VTM game.

FiatilThePantsAssociationrahkeesh2000WotanAnubisJazzMoridin889
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 6

New studio...is British. I don't think they would have chosen Seattle if they were making this game from scratch. Given that the only thing they say they are re-using is some of the assets, preeetty sure they just stuck with Seattle because Paradox wanted to use at least something from the old studio. Will they give it the love and care it needs to feel alive? Do they have the knowledge to make it feel right?

I hope so!

I mean, at least the British have lifetimes of experience of dealing with ancient parasites draining the life from a city in the form of the royals. They might be okay.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    DrovekDracomicronFiatilBurnageKarozBlackDragon480JazzMoridin889GiantGeek2020Hefflingcj iwakura
    Dev Diary #1: Welcome to The Chinese Room

Transcript for folks unable to read site say at work
    2023-09-20
    bloodlines-2-chinese-room-dev-diary-1

This is Studio Design Director Alex Skidmore from The Chinese Room; excited to finally be able to say this out loud. I'm writing today to introduce you to our studio, its history and, in the future, the people behind making Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2.

The Chinese Room is the award-winning studio focused on telling grounded, believable and rich stories - these are the traditions behind our ground-breaking games in our portfolio, like Dear Esther and the internationally acclaimed Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Over 100 talented game developers were all drawn here by a passion for the kind of storytelling we do. We also have a strong history of supporting diversity in our development team and our games.

In early 2020, we moved to our studio in sunny Brighton and built our award-winning mobile game Little Orpheus… a warmup for the ambitious titles ahead. Later the same year, the company moved to two narrative-focused projects, Still Wakes the Deep and V:tM - Bloodlines 2. Still Wakes the Deep builds on The Chinese Room’s heritage, and Bloodlines 2 is about looking to the future for our games, taking a big leap forward into the action role-playing genre while bringing our narrative expertise to bear.
    Making Bloodlines 2

A look at TCR's portfolio shows believability is the basis for any of our game worlds, allowing greater immersion. Vampire: The Masquerade’s origins as a TTRPG and broad transmedia portfolio gave us this foundation of believability from the get-go. We love how it lets you express your monster in a world full of supernatural secrets. That just fits our style of storytelling. Bloodlines 2 asks us to believe that blood-sucking monsters could inhabit our world, that you are one of them and how would you deal with that world while navigating the darkness within. Bloodlines 2 is designed with a balance of roleplaying game and adventure story. A compelling and rich plot you’d expect from an adventure game, but with RPG agency allowing you to act out your vampire fantasy.
    bloodlines-2-DD1

The city of Seattle will open up lots of opportunities.

Throughout development, we’ve been regulars in Stockholm at World of Darkness HQ to discuss and align the opportunities for stories, characters, gameplay and crossovers that this IP gives us as creators and fans. We’re thrilled to bring World of Darkness off the page and character sheets and into an Action-RPG video game.
    Bloodlines 2 Announcement Trailer

Check out the announcement trailer here.
    Feel Like a Vampire

While making decisions about Bloodlines 2, one constant reference is our first game pillar: “Feel like a Vampire”. Everything you do in this game should make you feel like a predator of the night.

In video games, we often get to be a mighty hero fighting against the darkness. Vampires, especially as playable characters, are underrepresented. We’re building the game around the experience of doing things only a Kindred can. With non-combat gameplay, we found early on we were doing the RPG tropes: find a keycard to open a door, turn on a generator to restore power to a lift. We put in a rule that the non-combat gameplay should be about something only a vampire could do; keep it aspirational.

When we were exploring combat, it started off playing like Dishonored (which we love), but that didn’t feel right for a vampire: players were very cautious and afraid of the enemies they encountered. To us, a Kindred should stalk its prey and strike fearlessly like a predator. We want to build an action experience where players feel confident, almost trolling the enemies with their disciplines. Testers use the phrase “playing with your food,” which we love and illustrates how we think a Vampire: The Masquerade ARPG should feel has come up in playthroughs.
    bloodlines-2-DD1-1

The look of a powerful vampire.

Most action games offer a power fantasy; I like to call ours a confidence fantasy. When you have a supernatural edge and immortality to back you up, there should be a sense of “I know what is going on and, I can control this situation.” We want to give you the tools to do that in combat, conversations, or travelling across the city. When they come together, you should be immersed in the feeling of being a Vampire.

We have two more game pillars. “Visceral, Immersive Combat” and “Exploring the World of Darkness”. We’ll explore these in-depth later down the line.

We look forward to telling you more. Until then, good night!

Alex Skidmore, Studio Design Director
    What’s next?

We’re all working hard to make this game amazing because we love Vampire: The Masquerade and the chance to tell impactful stories. We know you’ve been waiting a while, so we’re dedicated to honesty and keeping you informed. Together with Paradox, we will give you as much info about the game as we can without spoilers and always tell you when the next update will happen and what it will be about.

Our next Dev Diary will be about the “Narrative Themes and Atmosphere.” You will learn more about our Neo-Noir thriller story and how the World of Darkness threatens to spill over into the mortal world… In just two weeks!

WotanAnubisJazzBreakfastPMElvenshae
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 20
    PMAvers wrote: »

I hope so!

I mean, at least the British have lifetimes of experience of dealing with ancient parasites draining the life from a city in the form of the royals. They might be okay.

And rain.

They know a thing or two about dreary weather!

DemonStacey on
    JazzKoopahTroopah
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

I hope so!

And rain.

They know a thing or two about dreary weather!

Getting plenty of that right now!

DemonStaceyKaroz
    Karoz wrote: »

Transcript for folks unable to read site say at work
    2023-09-20
    bloodlines-2-chinese-room-dev-diary-1

This is Studio Design Director Alex Skidmore from The Chinese Room; excited to finally be able to say this out loud. I'm writing today to introduce you to our studio, its history and, in the future, the people behind making Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2.

The Chinese Room is the award-winning studio focused on telling grounded, believable and rich stories - these are the traditions behind our ground-breaking games in our portfolio, like Dear Esther and the internationally acclaimed Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Over 100 talented game developers were all drawn here by a passion for the kind of storytelling we do. We also have a strong history of supporting diversity in our development team and our games.

In early 2020, we moved to our studio in sunny Brighton and built our award-winning mobile game Little Orpheus… a warmup for the ambitious titles ahead. Later the same year, the company moved to two narrative-focused projects, Still Wakes the Deep and V:tM - Bloodlines 2. Still Wakes the Deep builds on The Chinese Room’s heritage, and Bloodlines 2 is about looking to the future for our games, taking a big leap forward into the action role-playing genre while bringing our narrative expertise to bear.
    Making Bloodlines 2

A look at TCR's portfolio shows believability is the basis for any of our game worlds, allowing greater immersion. Vampire: The Masquerade’s origins as a TTRPG and broad transmedia portfolio gave us this foundation of believability from the get-go. We love how it lets you express your monster in a world full of supernatural secrets. That just fits our style of storytelling. Bloodlines 2 asks us to believe that blood-sucking monsters could inhabit our world, that you are one of them and how would you deal with that world while navigating the darkness within. Bloodlines 2 is designed with a balance of roleplaying game and adventure story. A compelling and rich plot you’d expect from an adventure game, but with RPG agency allowing you to act out your vampire fantasy.
    bloodlines-2-DD1

The city of Seattle will open up lots of opportunities.

Throughout development, we’ve been regulars in Stockholm at World of Darkness HQ to discuss and align the opportunities for stories, characters, gameplay and crossovers that this IP gives us as creators and fans. We’re thrilled to bring World of Darkness off the page and character sheets and into an Action-RPG video game.
    Bloodlines 2 Announcement Trailer

Check out the announcement trailer here.
    Feel Like a Vampire

While making decisions about Bloodlines 2, one constant reference is our first game pillar: “Feel like a Vampire”. Everything you do in this game should make you feel like a predator of the night.

In video games, we often get to be a mighty hero fighting against the darkness. Vampires, especially as playable characters, are underrepresented. We’re building the game around the experience of doing things only a Kindred can. With non-combat gameplay, we found early on we were doing the RPG tropes: find a keycard to open a door, turn on a generator to restore power to a lift. We put in a rule that the non-combat gameplay should be about something only a vampire could do; keep it aspirational.

When we were exploring combat, it started off playing like Dishonored (which we love), but that didn’t feel right for a vampire: players were very cautious and afraid of the enemies they encountered. To us, a Kindred should stalk its prey and strike fearlessly like a predator. We want to build an action experience where players feel confident, almost trolling the enemies with their disciplines. Testers use the phrase “playing with your food,” which we love and illustrates how we think a Vampire: The Masquerade ARPG should feel has come up in playthroughs.
    bloodlines-2-DD1-1

The look of a powerful vampire.

Most action games offer a power fantasy; I like to call ours a confidence fantasy. When you have a supernatural edge and immortality to back you up, there should be a sense of “I know what is going on and, I can control this situation.” We want to give you the tools to do that in combat, conversations, or travelling across the city. When they come together, you should be immersed in the feeling of being a Vampire.

We have two more game pillars. “Visceral, Immersive Combat” and “Exploring the World of Darkness”. We’ll explore these in-depth later down the line.

We look forward to telling you more. Until then, good night!

Alex Skidmore, Studio Design Director
    What’s next?

We’re all working hard to make this game amazing because we love Vampire: The Masquerade and the chance to tell impactful stories. We know you’ve been waiting a while, so we’re dedicated to honesty and keeping you informed. Together with Paradox, we will give you as much info about the game as we can without spoilers and always tell you when the next update will happen and what it will be about.

Our next Dev Diary will be about the “Narrative Themes and Atmosphere.” You will learn more about our Neo-Noir thriller story and how the World of Darkness threatens to spill over into the mortal world… In just two weeks!

Ehhhh... on one hand, I appreciate that they're giving out info, but on the other, so far, this really doesn't say a whole lot. Show, don't tell, and all that, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

y3H3Fa4.png
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Nooot a lot of info in that one really.

steam_sig.png
    cj iwakura

It's about power! Power! Power! Power!

Honestly don't know why they've gone with the elder storyline when they explicitly depower you.

Fiatilcj iwakura
    edited October 5
    It at least gives a narrative reason for being OP by end game (I'm sure the artificial shackles/invisible weighted training clothes will be removed at some point), but yeah who knows how it will work out.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    Karoz

There's not a lot of info in any of these. The original reveal had more info than all of this combined, factions, setting, the works. It's not very inspiring that they keep being so cagey.

y3H3Fa4.png
    Zombie Gandhi
    Yeah the first one I guess made sense as an intro, but I was expecting maybe some substance from the second one. Trying not to be too critical, but it was fairly pointless for sure.

steam_sig.png
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

It's about power! Power! Power! Power!

Honestly don't know why they've gone with the elder storyline when they explicitly depower you.

I feel like it could be interesting.

Its like the MacGuffin in Bloodlines 1. Clearly everyone wanted it. This goes to the question “what if there really was a powerful vampire in that casket, what happens then?” Most of the time I guess they get eaten, but there’s a lot of in universe reasons why a particularly in the know vampire might want to avoid doing that.

Karoz
    I know the voice files were credited to Cain but was it confirmed that he was powering you up to take on all these older horrors?

Again I am onboard with being an elder. A newly turned vampire is the oldest of the old tropes at this point.

Yes I am being optimistic, I will not apologize.

BreakfastPMFencingsaxHeffling
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I know the voice files were credited to Cain but was it confirmed that he was powering you up to take on all these older horrors?

Again I am onboard with being an elder. A newly turned vampire is the oldest of the old tropes at this point.

It was intended by the writers but retconned away by later material.

Karoz
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    I was browsing through Prime Tv the other day I noticed an advert for a World of Darkness documentary, anyone seen it?

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

It was intended by the writers but retconned away by later material.

Probably because of, outside Gehenna, Caine is never supposed to show up. It's a funny easter egg, but the stakes in BL1 did not really ever merit Caine's involvement.

Of course, I'm the guy who thinks that the best Gehenna ending was Wormwood, in which Caine doesn't even have to show up, and all vampires simply die over 40 days and nights as God apologizes for the inconvenience.