As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Fountain is out on DVD/Blu-Ray

1235»

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only acting that really bothered me when I saw it was Jackman's knight character. I don't even remember what it was about it that put me off, though.

Aneurhythmia on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    trentsteel wrote: »
    I heard there are some major flaws in this movie. It looked cool but I dunno. I'll probably check it out if it hits the bargain bin.

Also, please stop mentioning blue-ray, we just switched over to DVD's dammit.
    Blu-ray

jwalk on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    denihilist wrote: »
    Oh the problem with Aronofsky's films is that he distances the viewer from the characters.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Urian on
  • Angry WeathermanAngry Weatherman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    im going to skip the 7 pages of presumably people bitching about ART FILMS ARGH and say that i thought it was really awesome

Angry Weatherman on
    edited July 2007
    J. Grant wrote: »
    J. Grant wrote: »
    The argument I was making last night was that I don't think all elements of the film need to directly serve the narrative. Sometimes the visual aesthetic helps to manipulate the mood in a more general way.

And this is the basis of where you and I will always come to fisticuffs.

I even agree, slightly - narrative without flair and style is dry and pointless. But we live in a time when too many damned producers and directors obscure the story behind making pretty lights flash in front of our eyes. The story takes backseat to how many bikinis, explosions, drift racing scenes, eye-shocking nebulae, guns and bullet-time shots can be jam-packed into a movie. The Fountain suffers from this to a degree that kills it. Hollywood once was about telling the story - now it's about making monkies in the theater go "ooooooooo." Fuck that. Bring back the story, man.

I know you don't actually mean fisticuffs, but I can't imagine being so confrontational over something of so little importance. That's probably just the mood I'm in, because last night I clearly felt amused to be overly confrontational about nothing at all. But man, it's just a movie.

And I think different movies serve different purposes, just as different paintings do. Some are all about visual craft, some are all about heavy handed messages, and some are in between. A good story can be a great thing; it can serve both the entertainment and the ideology. But I don't think all movies need it. I liked that the movie was ambiguous in some respects. Life is ambiguous.

Good god.

If I could refine the essence of your arguments down to a clear oil, add some coloring and put it in fancy black glass bottles, I'd make a billion dollars selling Eau de Whiny Bitch.

Go drink a latte and wear your beret while telling people that Immanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reasoning is ironically egotistical, you fucking wimp.

go back to your miller lite and your chevy and stop bitching

Angry Weatherman on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It was sold as a time-travelling/time-spanning story but turned out to be a rather basic, formulaic love story with a pretty wrapper.

this is pretty much what i got from it. i'm curious if it would've been any better had he retained the budget to make his original vision, or if that movie just would've been the same but longer.

satansfingers on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Borfase wrote: »
    i think the fountain is aronofsky's best work so far
    I think it suffers from the same problem all of aronofsky's films suffer from.

The acting was so off that I didn't really connect with the characters and the overlapping 'narratives' depended on emotional connections to really work so I guess the whole film didn't work for me. It was sold as a time-travelling/time-spanning story but turned out to be a rather basic, formulaic love story with a pretty wrapper.

Basically it was the cinematic equivalent of buying wine for the pretty bottle.

<3

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

The acting was so off that I didn't really connect with the characters and the overlapping 'narratives' depended on emotional connections to really work so I guess the whole film didn't work for me. It was sold as a time-travelling/time-spanning story but turned out to be a rather basic, formulaic love story with a pretty wrapper.

<3

didn't you just say you really liked this movie like a page ago

satansfingers on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

<3

didn't you just say you really liked this movie like a page ago

I said I liked it, but I agreed that it had the same issues Deni just pointed out much more elegantly, along with all of Aronofsky's films.

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2007
    i guess i don't understand how someone can agree with that post about a movie they like

a basic, formulaic love story with a pretty wrapper sounds pretty unappealing to me

satansfingers on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    im going to skip the 7 pages of presumably people bitching about ART FILMS ARGH and say that i thought it was really awesome
    Wow.

You think that The Fountain was an "art film"?

Because, fuck...that was a $30,000,000+, mainstream Hollywood film with shit acting, no chemistry at all between the leads, an embarrassingly bad script, and a plot centered on a formulaic and uncreative arc that might as well have been crafted by a 10th grade girl.

You want a fucking art movie, go watch Red Road, Grbavica, or even Triad Election.

naporeon on
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only thing I liked about this movie, really, is that it was pretty.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Because, fuck...that was a $30,000,000+, mainstream Hollywood film with shit acting, no chemistry at all between the leads, an embarrassingly bad script, and a plot centered on a formulaic and uncreative arc that might as well have been crafted by a 10th grade girl.
    So aside from the $30m budget, what you're saying is art film, art film, art film, art film....

Aneurhythmia on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

deni, this is why you are my favorite.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited July 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Wow.

You think that The Fountain was an "art film"?

You want a fucking art movie, go watch Red Road, Grbavica, or even Triad Election.

a) i didnt say it was an independent film

b) i didnt say it was an art film either, but everyone ive heard complaining about it calls it an art film, says it was too "arty", etc.

c) ive seen all those movies, stop trying to namedrop you pretentious faggot

Angry Weatherman on
    edited July 2007
    When did expressing an opinion logically and with passion become pretentious?

I know that sort of thing has always been gay, but I was under the impression that it didn't always have to be pretentious, as well.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited July 2007

I know that sort of thing has always been gay, but I was under the impression that it didn't always have to be pretentious, as well.

hes namedropping a bunch of movies he assumes i havent seen to stroke his own ego

plus there was nothing at ALL logical about his post, PLUS it was ENTIRELY based off of his misinterpretation of my post

Angry Weatherman on
    edited July 2007

hes namedropping a bunch of movies he assumes i havent seen to stroke his own ego

plus there was nothing at ALL logical about his post, PLUS it was ENTIRELY based off of his misinterpretation of my post
    This is a train wreck.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited July 2007

This is a train wreck.

you're a fucking idiot

Angry Weatherman on
    edited July 2007

This is a train wreck.

you're a fucking idiot
    So...you don't think things too far out, do you?

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited July 2007
    oh yeah and ps, that was a really shitty attempt to deflect attention from how fucking WRONG you are

Angry Weatherman on
    edited July 2007

This is a train wreck.

you're a fucking idiot
    So...you don't think things too far out, do you?

i'm assuming that by trying to change the subject, you at least realize you're completely wrong

Angry Weatherman on
    edited July 2007
    Keep going.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited July 2007
    Stop fucking trolling Penguin.

Urian on
    edited July 2007
    Okay.

When I start, I'll let you know.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited July 2007
    God damnnit, can't we all just be nice and respect eachothers opinions? This thread would be cool if we could just do that.

Rebuttals are of course welcome, but stop with the ego games. It's just a forum for pete's sake.

Urian on
    edited July 2007
    Urian wrote: »
    God damnnit, can't we all just be nice and respect eachothers opinions? This thread would be cool if we could just do that.
    We were. Then someone started acting like a faggot, so we couldn't let that stand.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited July 2007
    Naporeon and Weatherman were being equally faggoty. So suck eachothers dicks then we can move on.

Urian on
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    YEAH IT'S A FORUM FOR PETE'S SAKE, GUYS

in other news i agree with weatherman when he says naporeon is trying to sound pretentious with the name dropping

who fucking cares if this movie had a big budget, it was still written and directed by an artist who believe in his craft, and that makes it pretty fucking artsy in my book, jerks

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • booblet0booblet0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hello.

i liked The Fountain very very much. it is my favorite movie. i really enjoyed the pretty special effects. i thought the acting was really good. i cry very hard whenever i watch this movie, because i think it is moving. i have watched it 7 times.

On a more serious, dare I say more intellectual note, this movie's polarizing nature is probably one of the reasons I hold it in such high regard. I think it's brilliant. A lot of other people think it's brilliant too. In addition, a lot of people think it's shit. That's ok. I understand it got booed at one of its preliminary showings. People looking for explicit narratives and strictly-defined character development are going to be dissapointed, and I easily see where most of the criticism comes from. It takes a certain attention to detail to enjoy this movie, and it's unrealistic to expect that from the general movie-going public. You really have to watch it more than once, as well. I actually have watched this movie seven times now, and even now, I'm still noticing things that I didn't notice before.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, by the way. If you don't like it then you don't like it, it's unlikely your opinion will change. At least understand where the appreciation can come from, similarly to how I can understand where its criticisms come from. I wouldn't go so far as to say The Fountain is a "classic," it's far too cerebral for it to attain that status, but god damn if it isn't akin to a religious experience to me. If that makes me a faggot, I'll be off to blow guys in bus stations now.

booblet0 on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    YEAH IT'S A FORUM FOR PETE'S SAKE, GUYS

Don't you just hate trolls Borface?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg