As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about the [NRA] NOT gun control

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Do wait, the NRA, LaPierre, Oliver North, AND their PR for are currently involved in a circular firing squad?

My cup runneth over endlessly.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Do wait, the NRA, LaPierre, Oliver North, AND their PR for are currently involved in a circular firing squad?

Yep, this is one of the few situations where all outcomes look pretty dire for the groups involved. Like normally you could say "well if this works out..." but no there is no easy way this works out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yep, this is one of the few situations where all outcomes look pretty dire for the groups involved. Like normally you could say "well if this works out..." but no there is no easy way this works out.

Yeah, I'll believe the NRA is broken when I see it

They have cultivated such a bizarre paranoia in their members that I'm terrified

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I actually expect the NRA to do what it's parent company the KKK did. Dissolve at a national level then break up into local chapters that aren't 'official'.

I'm sure there will be a lot of overlap in membership which well let them vertically integrate their management structure and save more money for important racist things.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Yeah, I'll believe the NRA is broken when I see it

They have cultivated such a bizarre paranoia in their members that I'm terrified

Even if the NRA survives this, which I think is likely, they’ll hopefully be substantially weakened.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The NRA is pretty much grift all the way down:

Felicia Sonmez is a reporter for the Washington Post.
    A former pro football player who serves on the National Rifle Association board was paid $400,000 by the group in recent years for public outreach and firearms training. Another board member, a writer in New Mexico, collected more than $28,000 for articles in NRA publications. Yet another board member sold ammunition from his private company to the NRA for an undisclosed sum.

The NRA, which has been rocked by allegations of exorbitant spending by top executives, also directed money in recent years that went to board members — the very people tasked with overseeing the organization’s finances.

In all, 18 members of the NRA’s 76-member board, who are not paid as directors, collected money from the group during the past three years, according to tax filings, state charitable reports and NRA correspondence reviewed by The Washington Post.

Gotta wet your beak if you're on the NRA board, apparently.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I mean this isn't a huge shock because pretty much every right wing supported thing is just a grift. But god damn these guys were just shamelessly ripping off their members.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    it overlaps with "capitalism as a moral good" kind of attitude, of course they deserve that money, if I was working as hard as them, and doing the good work for gun rights, id deserve it too

I mean the fact that its a non-profit is a technicality nobody cares about. Like Trumps "its a good thing I avoided paying taxes, it means im smart"

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    NRA TV is on the brink of shuttering. Ackerman McQueen filed some stuff in court today detailing their financial case with the NRA, and they notably claim they are owed $1.6 million by the NRA. Their papers note that if the NRA isn't made to pay what it owes, Ackerman McQueen itself will have to close as a company, unable to pay its employees.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-nras-longtime-cfo-was-caught-embezzling-before-joining-the-organization-former-colleagues-say

At the NRA's old CFO's last job, he embezzled about a million dollars by creating fake invoices. There's no indication that he's done this while working for the NRA, but it's not a good history to have for a CFO. Also, there's some ethically dubious things he did while working for the NRA, such as being the CFO for an organization that works with the NRA while being the CFO of the NRA.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-nras-longtime-cfo-was-caught-embezzling-before-joining-the-organization-former-colleagues-say

At the NRA's old CFO's last job, he embezzled about a million dollars by creating fake invoices. There's no indication that he's done this while working for the NRA, but it's not a good history to have for a CFO. Also, there's some ethically dubious things he did while working for the NRA, such as being the CFO for an organization that works with the NRA while being the CFO of the NRA.

Have conservatives like, never heard of the concept of ethics or conflicts of interest? It's mind boggling.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Ethics?

What is that, some kind of food?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options

Have conservatives like, never heard of the concept of ethics or conflicts of interest? It's mind boggling.

It's literally not in their philosophy. Like they justify being tax cheats because it makes them "smart". They do the same with ripping off companies. It really seems like a lot of the top brass in the NRA were more concerned with ripping off the NRA membership than advocating gun rights.

If anything its frightening with how badly run this org apparently was, how big their reach was.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Ethics?

No, it's those brown people we don't like.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ethics?

It's that thing you can use to force Democrats to resign!

• Options
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/nra-pulls-the-plug-on-nratv
    The NRA has cut ties with Ackerman McQueen. (The headline is all about NRA TV, but I don't think that's the biggest part of this story.)

But don't worry. Even though they're divorced now, they're staying in court, so this will stay in the news a bit longer. "Ackerman McQueen will continue to fight against the NRA’s repeated violations of its agreement with our company with every legal remedy available to us, but we will always be proud of the work that we completed during our 38-year relationship on behalf of the individual citizens that are the NRA."

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/chris-cox-lapierre-coup-texts-suspended-oliver-north-851259/
    Also, Chris Cox, the NRA's head of political operations, has been suspended because he picked the losing side in the NRA's conflict, and Wayne LaPierre has gotten to the point in his rule where he removes all the disloyal.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    With luck the various shitheads of the NRA will cripple each other and render the organization largely impotent in politics.

• Options
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/top-nra-executive-chris-cox-resigns-amid-tumultuous/story?id=63962673
    Chris Cox, the NRA's head of political operations, has resigned in a move that is almost assuredly 100% his own choice, and not as the result of any pressure that may or may not exist.

• Options
    NRA tv is also no more today, so pour one out for Dana Loesch.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    NRA tv is also no more today, so pour one out for Dana Loesch.

Oh I'll pour one out for her

pour it out down my throat

in celebration

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I feel like we can offer them the same thoughts and prayers the NRA gives to the victims of mass shootings. I'm sure they will find similar comfort with them.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I feel like we can offer them the same thoughts and prayers the NRA gives to the victims of mass shootings. I'm sure they will find similar comfort with them.

It's too early to talk about this yet

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Heh, thoughtsandprayers is trending on twitter cause of this.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed that Dana Loesch is pretending like none of this is happening via her Twitter account.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that Dana Loesch is pretending like none of this is happening via her Twitter account.

God that pisses me off. Here you are a horrible person and you can't even give me a taste of happiness in complaining bad things finally happened to you.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Well, she is blocking people that are tweeting “thoughts and prayers” at her, so that’s something.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    https://news.yahoo.com/major-nra-donor-lead-rebellion-110312191.html

A reasonably large NRA donor has decided that the current NRA leadership is a bit too clownshoes for him, and wants LaPierre to step down, along with a few other (sensible) demands. He has other people on board:
    He said he was among a network of wealthy NRA donors who would cumulatively withhold more than $134 million (£106 million) in pledges, much of it earmarked years in advance through estate planning, and would soon give the gun group’s board a list of demands for reform.
    It's a bit difficult to tell exactly how widespread this will get, and the withheld pledges include estate planning, so dealing with this isn't urgent for the NRA, but it does show a certain dissatisfaction with the current situation with the NRA's donors.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

A reasonably large NRA donor has decided that the current NRA leadership is a bit too clownshoes for him, and wants LaPierre to step down, along with a few other (sensible) demands. He has other people on board:
    He said he was among a network of wealthy NRA donors who would cumulatively withhold more than $134 million (£106 million) in pledges, much of it earmarked years in advance through estate planning, and would soon give the gun group’s board a list of demands for reform.
    It's a bit difficult to tell exactly how widespread this will get, and the withheld pledges include estate planning, so dealing with this isn't urgent for the NRA, but it does show a certain dissatisfaction with the current situation with the NRA's donors.

Well, duh. The NRA is so consumed by grift that it can't even do the things that it's supposed to do. Of course donors are pissed and want the heads of LaPierre and his cronies.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The NRA has done exactly what it was supposed to do, that is to sell a lot of guns to white people, often using racism and xenophobia

• Options
    There were a couple articles yesterday or the day prior mentioning that the Trump campaign is worried because the NRA (and a couple other organizations) are so internally fucked that they can't actually help at all in 2020. That's so delicious to me, that the damage of the NRA falling apart is already having an impact on the country.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I actually expect the NRA to do what it's parent company the KKK did. Dissolve at a national level then break up into local chapters that aren't 'official'.

I'm sure there will be a lot of overlap in membership which well let them vertically integrate their management structure and save more money for important racist things.

Nah. If the NRA is the KKK's offspring, it's the gun industry's pet. If it folds, the gun industry will abandon it and create a brand new grassroots organization that will appear to materialize overnight from thin air already a viable national lobbying organization.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    The NRA has done exactly what it was supposed to do, that is to sell a lot of guns to white people, often using racism and xenophobia

Also, deflect ire. The NRA and La Pierre are there to take the metaphorical slings and arrows for weapons manufacturers, so that those weapons manufacturers can sell their slings and arrows with less controversy.

It's kinda like Godell and the NFL.

Instead of having to push their own interests themselves, they line up behind a figurehead, and keep propping him up so that they're not held to account.

Works well for the politicians too. Easier to argue for accepting donations from the NRA with it's large(ish) member rolls and "public service protecting the 2nd" message, are donating to your campaign, than direct contributions from a weapons manufacturer.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

I imagine Wayne's response is that they'll take the organization away from his cold dead hands.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Yeah most of the hardcore grifters like Lapierre are there until the wheels come off.

I do wonder what the next post NRA gun club will be, its not like other orgs haven't tried to be the new NRA before, and just not been able to have the same market penetration.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Nah. If the NRA is the KKK's offspring, it's the gun industry's pet. If it folds, the gun industry will abandon it and create a brand new grassroots organization that will appear to materialize overnight from thin air already a viable national lobbying organization.

NRA has the weight of inertia backing it, any new organization is going to have an uphill battle to get as entrenched as NRA is.
    Not saying it can't happen, but making a replacement for NRA is going to cost a ton of money, and take time and manhours to do.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    There were a couple articles yesterday or the day prior mentioning that the Trump campaign is worried because the NRA (and a couple other organizations) are so internally fucked that they can't actually help at all in 2020. That's so delicious to me, that the damage of the NRA falling apart is already having an impact on the country.

Hasn't the campaign already raised over $100M? I think they're going to be fine unfortunately

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Hasn't the campaign already raised over $100M? I think they're going to be fine unfortunately

I'm going to guess 5% of that will actually be spent on campaign expenses, the other 95% will get shunted to Trump Org and/or his kids.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

I think it's more that the NRA has likely been funneling illegal foreign money into GOP campaigns and with them completely shitting the bed now, that conduit is likely gone. And that's what GOP operatives and Trump campaign people are actually worried about.

The politico article on this also points out that both the Chamber of Commerce and Koch brothers have read the room and moved to support less partisan initiatives and candidates, leaving just the NRA as one of the big GOP election supporters.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I'm going to guess 5% of that will actually be spent on campaign expenses, the other 95% will get shunted to Trump Org and/or his kids.

Yeah, the one thing that might stem the massive tide of money on the Republican side, is how much graft at all levels, is going to occur.

If every cent raised went to actually try and get Trump re-elected, I'd be a lot more scared.

Not that I'm not in danger of pooping myself already, but still. Our saving grace might be "Because Trump and acquaintances embezzled a crapload" as the reason the spending ratio to what Democrats do, might not be as bad as it could be.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Trump has. The rest of the GoP candidates running however...

steam_sig.png