Database Upgrade (From Chatside)

ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
Ok, there have been a lot of issues with the chatforum and the forums not syncing up right. I just added a quick fix. If something is borked that used to not be borked and you want it unborked, let me know in here.
Things you will notice the different :
-PMs on this side and on the other side are now shared. If you want a day to get your old PMs back, let me know and I can disable this temporarily
-The other side now has the default user table. This means your profile over here and your profile over there are now the same. If this causes issues, Im sorry, I know people like having different sigs for each, Im sorry. The next version of the forums will handle this better.
-This website is now single sign on, if you sign out over here, you sign out over there and vice versa. This will cause some issues in the "Who is online" page, that is a bug that I am working on.
-If you registered on this side and not on that side, you need to re-register.
Ok that should be it, sorry about any interruptions, I hope this does more harm than good... wait... no more good than harm... Riiiiiiiight... :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
«1

Posts

  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2004
    :^:

    And ignore my PM. I just realised that I have no saveable PMs in SE anyway.

    TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    TDL wrote:
    :^:

    And ignore my PM. I just realised that I have no saveable PMs in SE anyway.
    Oh, right on.

    Älphämönkëy on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    So, what do people in jail do? I see AJ has the jail setup, including the indented bars, over on H&R without actually being in jail over there.

    A duck! on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    NOOO I HAVE LIKE MAX STORAGE IN EVERYTHING ARGGH

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver A Lannister Always Pays His Debts Hear Me RoarRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Uh-oh

    Futility lost all his PMs about the forum battles.

    And I lost my reminder PMs.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    A duck! wrote:
    So, what do people in jail do? I see AJ has the jail setup, including the indented bars, over on H&R without actually being in jail over there.
    Don't drop the soap?

    Uh, find out why they were jailed here and if possible unjail them. I can't fix the entire jail system tonight.

    Älphämönkëy on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Uh-oh

    Futility lost all his PMs about the forum battles.

    And I lost my reminder PMs.
    Ok? I'll... uh... *runs*

    Let me setup a quick site to get back old PMs

    Älphämönkëy on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    I don't get it. Didn't we have an independent jail system even before the split? Correct me if I'm wrong.

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Paladin wrote:
    I don't get it. Didn't we have an independent jail system even before the split? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Nope. Being in "jail" is dependent on your USER_LEVEL, so it was stored in the users table, once that was shared, bam, everything got messed up.

    Älphämönkëy on
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    I'm curious about the motivation for this. Aside from the single sign on, I think the seperate profiles etc was a better system. Particularly as all forums on this side now have an 80px sig limit.

    Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    I'm curious about the motivation for this. Aside from the single sign on, I think the seperate profiles etc was a better system. Particularly as all forums on this side now have an 80px sig limit.
    We were having UID mismatches. Registration here would not always create an account over there and vice versa. If a user changed their email and needed manual activation, etc. I know it is a pain in the ass for some things, but it saves us a lot of trouble in other places (and running two fairly active HEAP tables was killing the server)

    Älphämönkëy on
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Not sure if it's a bug or not, having just gone to the other side it killed my session. Hopefully it was just the standard random session death that happened co-incidentally at the same time as me moving to the other side.

    Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Not sure if it's a bug or not, having just gone to the other side it killed my session. Hopefully it was just the standard random session death that happened co-incidentally at the same time as me moving to the other side.
    Ugh. Let me know if it wasn't.

    Älphämönkëy on
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Not sure if it's a bug or not, having just gone to the other side it killed my session. Hopefully it was just the standard random session death that happened co-incidentally at the same time as me moving to the other side.
    Ugh. Let me know if it wasn't.

    It's happened three times now. Seems rather more often than the usual rates of random death. It would be a pretty big co-incidence. I'll try to keep an eye out for a common pattern since it's certainly not everytime I click the arrow.

    Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    -The other side now has the default user table. This means your profile over here and your profile over there are now the same. If this causes issues, Im sorry, I know people like having different sigs for each, Im sorry.

    Aww man!
    The next version of the forums will handle this better.

    Oh, ok then.


    One thing I'm noticing is that New Posts on the Index page seem to update a lot faster - like, before it would show me new posts but the new ones would sort of 'expire' after a few hours wether I looked at them or not. Now they seem to expire randomly and in general a lot sooner. Like, I'll sign in in the morning, most of the forums will be marked with red folders, I'll go into G&T or somewhere and after about fifteen minutes forums I haven't even visited yet are suddenly marked with yellow folders.

    Dunno if that's related and it isn't a big deal but, well, thats what seems to be happening.

    Szechuanosaurus on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver A Lannister Always Pays His Debts Hear Me RoarRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    signed on over here, but it didn't sign me on over there.

    EDIT: And when I did sign in, everything, EVERYTHING, was marked as read.

    EDIT2: It does this consitantly.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    well good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing session deaths

    Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    I'm curious about the motivation for this. Aside from the single sign on, I think the seperate profiles etc was a better system. Particularly as all forums on this side now have an 80px sig limit.

    That's my take on things. But eh, we'll work it out. We always did in the past.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Well, now that everything is back to how it used to be, why not just reimplement SE++ on the front page and kill the current H&R board?

    Salvation122 on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    Well, I think we're going to eventually regain the ability to do local bans and jailings, so there's still a reason to keep it seperate.

    A duck! on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Oh. Carry on, then.

    Salvation122 on
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Well, now that everything is back to how it used to be, why not just reimplement SE++ on the front page and kill the current H&R board?

    Likewise, I'd like to see local banning back, but not local jailing.

    Why not have a cheap-as-free force of Deputies out there who can handle a problem? Better coverage, which is something particularly needed in H&R, where despite the fact that there are about a hojillion mods, shit is pulled and still stays under the radar.

    150cc on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Well, now that everything is back to how it used to be, why not just reimplement SE++ on the front page and kill the current H&R board?

    Likewise, I'd like to see local banning back, but not local jailing.

    Why not have a cheap-as-free force of Deputies out there who can handle a problem? Better coverage, which is something particularly needed in H&R, where despite the fact that there are about a hojillion mods, shit is pulled and still stays under the radar.

    Well, if you've got a problem with shit being pulled and falling under the radar, maybe you should get people PMing mods when shit gets pulled.

    In H&R not every thread will be read. Even with 24 hour coverage, there's too much shit going on to expect each and every post made to be seen by a mod at some point because it's not like every mod knows what every other mod has read. There's a certain expectation that when shit happens, someone will PM something.

    If people aren't willing to do that much, no amount of coverage is going to change anything.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2004
    Pheezer wrote:
    If people aren't willing to do that much [pm mods], no amount of coverage is going to change anything.

    I call bullocks. Infinite coverage would change it all. ;)

    Unknown User on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver A Lannister Always Pays His Debts Hear Me RoarRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    My understanding is that bans are still independant for each side.

    H&R does not need deputies because they have enough mod coverage already.

    No one can be everywhere all the time. It isn't the responsibility of a mod to check every post that is made everyday, so stuff slips by. If forums took responsibility and let a mod know, then justice would be swifter.

    If there is a problem and no mod has received a PM about it, then it isn't their fault that the situation didn't get addressed. If you need to contact a mod, your best bet is via the Who is online link at the top of the page. The online mods are listed first, and you can get your problem addressed in a heartbeat.

    (In short listen to pheezer. He's right on the money.)

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    I thought I was having cookie issues.
    I would to G&T, go to H&R, come back to the on-topic forums and it looked like there were no new posts, but there were.

    I was about to pm alpha, good thing I read this thread.

    Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Pheezer wrote:
    If people aren't willing to do that much [pm mods], no amount of coverage is going to change anything.

    I call bullocks. Infinite coverage would change it all. ;)

    Omnipresent mods wouldn't actually solve it. You'd need omniscient mods. Just because a mod was always there no matter what does not imply that every single post would be read, because as I stated, the mods wouldn't know what the other mods read, and posts are made too quickly for anyone person to read every single one made anyhow.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • LegacyLegacy SCP Of The Digital Frontier The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    well good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing session deaths

    Yeah, I'm getting them too...

    Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Starfuck wrote:
    I thought I was having cookie issues.
    I would to G&T, go to H&R, come back to the on-topic forums and it looked like there were no new posts, but there were.

    I was about to pm alpha, good thing I read this thread.
    Yeah, I've got the same problem. Switching between forums clears new posts notifications. It's pretty irritating.

    Dynagrip on
    ok98TNK.png
  • KingSpikeKingSpike Registered User
    edited October 2004
    I'm also getting session deaths on this side. H&R-side will show fine but this side won't.

    KingSpike on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2004
    Pheezer wrote:
    Pheezer wrote:
    If people aren't willing to do that much [pm mods], no amount of coverage is going to change anything.

    I call bullocks. Infinite coverage would change it all. ;)

    Omnipresent mods wouldn't actually solve it. You'd need omniscient mods. Just because a mod was always there no matter what does not imply that every single post would be read, because as I stated, the mods wouldn't know what the other mods read, and posts are made too quickly for anyone person to read every single one made anyhow.

    While I was joking and didn't mean a word of what I said, I would like to point out that if we had infinite coverage, we could assign a single mod to each post, thereby having each post monitored. ;)

    Unknown User on
  • cSpoogecSpooge Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Starfuck wrote:
    I thought I was having cookie issues.
    I would to G&T, go to H&R, come back to the on-topic forums and it looked like there were no new posts, but there were.

    I was about to pm alpha, good thing I read this thread.


    im getting the same problem as well.

    cSpooge on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    For goodness sake Munkus, independent. You're a writer.

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Pheezer wrote:
    Pheezer wrote:
    If people aren't willing to do that much [pm mods], no amount of coverage is going to change anything.

    I call bullocks. Infinite coverage would change it all. ;)

    Omnipresent mods wouldn't actually solve it. You'd need omniscient mods. Just because a mod was always there no matter what does not imply that every single post would be read, because as I stated, the mods wouldn't know what the other mods read, and posts are made too quickly for anyone person to read every single one made anyhow.

    While I was joking and didn't mean a word of what I said, I would like to point out that if we had infinite coverage, we could assign a single mod to each post, thereby having each post monitored. ;)

    Oh, I know. But now we're careening down hypothetical alley.

    If we had infinite H&R coverage, it'd be from H&R mods. H&R mods firstly would never follow orders with that precision and secondly would ignore things on purpose just to fuck with your plans.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Why not have a cheap-as-free force of Deputies out there who can handle a problem? Better coverage, which is something particularly needed in H&R, where despite the fact that there are about a hojillion mods, shit is pulled and still stays under the radar.

    Read this with a grain of salt, but I think this is the stupidest fucking idea I have ever heard. The deputy system doesn't work all that well becuase jailing is simply too blunt a tool. You either end up with people who jail way too much, or who do nothing at all. There is simply no middle ground. The last thing that this forum needs is a pile of deputies.

    The reason that stuff stays under the mod radar in H&R is that short of the likes of goatse, most of the populus isn't realy all that annoyed by it, consequently it doesn't get reported.

    Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    well that's a right pain in the ass, it's not just the arrow. Going direct via the url to the chat forms kills my session too.

    Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Pheezer wrote:
    Well, now that everything is back to how it used to be, why not just reimplement SE++ on the front page and kill the current H&R board?

    Likewise, I'd like to see local banning back, but not local jailing.

    Why not have a cheap-as-free force of Deputies out there who can handle a problem? Better coverage, which is something particularly needed in H&R, where despite the fact that there are about a hojillion mods, shit is pulled and still stays under the radar.

    Well, if you've got a problem with shit being pulled and falling under the radar, maybe you should get people PMing mods when shit gets pulled.

    In H&R not every thread will be read. Even with 24 hour coverage, there's too much shit going on to expect each and every post made to be seen by a mod at some point because it's not like every mod knows what every other mod has read. There's a certain expectation that when shit happens, someone will PM something.

    If people aren't willing to do that much, no amount of coverage is going to change anything.

    Absolutely, people have to step up and PM mods and this doesn't happen enough.

    First of all, when a mod is not even online, though, how does this help? I'm talking about instances where there are no H&R mods online, particularly late at night to solve problems even if people did PM them. This has always been an issue in HR/SE.

    But that's life. A mod can't be on all the time. There will be gaps in coverage (even if there are a ridiculous number of mods, most of them mods that do very little, such as in H&R). So why not make use of your resources and keep forum-wide jailing, so you have people to step in and make a quick fix if there is nobody online to notify. We've always done things this way, until for some mysterious and utterly senseless reason that stopped with this forum split. For example, as an SE mod who was on late at night often, I used to go over and help out the G&T folks by cleaning stuff up/jailing, et cetera, when there was no G&T mod online to cover things.

    Make use of your resources. That's what I'm saying.

    150cc on
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Why not have a cheap-as-free force of Deputies out there who can handle a problem? Better coverage, which is something particularly needed in H&R, where despite the fact that there are about a hojillion mods, shit is pulled and still stays under the radar.

    Read this with a grain of salt, but I think this is the stupidest fucking idea I have ever heard. The deputy system doesn't work all that well becuase jailing is simply too blunt a tool. You either end up with people who jail way too much, or who do nothing at all. There is simply no middle ground. The last thing that this forum needs is a pile of deputies.

    The reason that stuff stays under the mod radar in H&R is that short of the likes of goatse, most of the populus isn't realy all that annoyed by it, consequently it doesn't get reported.

    Your logic never ceases to astound me, kiwi.

    So the system is broken because people use it poorly? So because the jailers/deputies we have now are crap*, we can't bring on more to try to cover the burden?


    Stuff that gets by in HR is stuff that ought to get by anyway just because nobody cares?

    Where do you get this stuff?

    For the record, I hate the jail system, I think it's bollocks, and it has only one valid use: stopping people who goatse spam/image spam by breaking their bbcode quickly. Otherwise I much prefer the ol' banstick as a much more effective way of getting people to cut the crap and stop being tards.

    *Footnote: make sure to include yourself in the list of deputies who abused their power and jailed way too fucking much. I can recall you jailing for such trivialities as "having a quote tree that was too big." Pot and kettle.

    150cc on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    But that's life. A mod can't be on all the time. There will be gaps in coverage (even if there are a ridiculous number of mods, most of them mods that do very little, such as in H&R).

    ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, you used to bitch all the time that the other SE mods did too much, and now you say we do too little?

    Seriously, what can I do to please you? Because apparently everyone else is dead wrong.

    A duck! on
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    So the system is broken because people use it poorly? So because the jailers/deputies we have now are crap*, we can't bring on more to try to cover the burden?
    The system is broken because the tool encourages only those two behaviours.
    Stuff that gets by in HR is stuff that ought to get by anyway just because nobody cares?
    Read what I wrote. Stuff gets by in HR because no-one cares. That doesn't mean it should get by, I'm mearly pointing out why most of the time people don't PM a mod except in the case of goatse
    *Footnote: make sure to include yourself in the list of deputies who abused their power and jailed way too fucking much. I can recall you jailing for such trivialities as "having a quote tree that was too big." Pot and kettle.
    There was a reason I said my post should be taken with a grain of salt. Nowhere did I say I was any better or worse than any of the deputies before or since, I simply stated that the deputy system leads to one of those behaviours.

    Orthanc on
    orthanc
Sign In or Register to comment.