As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Closing on my new build next week! And then I have to start picking out all of the stuff for it, and I don't have opinions on things like door knobs or garage doors or cabinet colors.

Decision fatigue is so real. Worst part of planning a wedding "so what are you thinking for table settings?" "we...would like there to be some? can...can you just put forks on the table?"

Isn't there a person you can hire to make those decisions for you? Like, a brother or sister or something I think it's called.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So yeah, no go on an FHA loan. Working on getting my credit score up a few points to break the 700's so we can apply for conventional.

At this point I'm just paying off all my credit card debt, then using a few of the cards to buy a few things, and hoping that works.

How are you paying off debt, if I can ask? Like how are you dividing it up

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Reason 10,000 why Credit Scores are bullshit:

If you are late on a payment, it gets reported right away. If you have a collection debt, it gets reported right away.

If you pay off a collection or a card it gets reporting and will affect your score in 2-3 months, Also paying off a debt may not improve your score, depending on what credit agency is being used or what scoring method.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    So yeah, no go on an FHA loan. Working on getting my credit score up a few points to break the 700's so we can apply for conventional.

At this point I'm just paying off all my credit card debt, then using a few of the cards to buy a few things, and hoping that works.

So my wife has her own debt, and I have mine.

For me I started with the lowest balance cards and started paying those off in full. Taxes and Stimulus helped with this. Now the extra $150 or so a month I use to spend on payments on those smaller cards I am now rolling into larger payments on my bigger cards. Making more money helps with this and I am also getting a raise and some back pay dated back to a year ago at some point soon, so that should help wipe out all the credit cards I have. My wife has paid her off already.

For me, I have 2 personal student loans and my car as well. I was going to aim at the smallest student loan first (abou 6k) and then my car (about 18k) but that will put me at December 2022

The problem is, as I lamented above, that I had a collection on my account, from like 10 years ago, I had Comcast in my name, I moved out, my roommates said they'd return the equipment and they never did, I got slammed with a $200 charge, but they were mailing the notices to...the house I no longer lived in and no one sent them my way. Went to collections and I spent the better part of a year arguing with Comcast about it, by the time I decided to pay, the credit company had sold it off to another, who sold it off to another, so I had to wait for it to settle somewhere to pay it off. I did so last month (finally) in full, but it might be 2 months to never for it to improve my score. If it does my score may go up 20ish points?

Also I paid off some credit cards and my score went down 8 points, because it is no longer 'revolving' credit.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Closing on my new build next week! And then I have to start picking out all of the stuff for it, and I don't have opinions on things like door knobs or garage doors or cabinet colors.

Thankfully we're going pretty base which helps with decisions. Really just focusing on the wiring and things that'll be tough to do later.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Reason 10,000 why Credit Scores are bullshit:

If you are late on a payment, it gets reported right away. If you have a collection debt, it gets reported right away.

If you pay off a collection or a card it gets reporting and will affect your score in 2-3 months, Also paying off a debt may not improve your score, depending on what credit agency is being used or what scoring method.

I saw my credit score go down 50 points for having the temerity to pay off my student loans.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

So my wife has her own debt, and I have mine.

For me I started with the lowest balance cards and started paying those off in full. Taxes and Stimulus helped with this. Now the extra $150 or so a month I use to spend on payments on those smaller cards I am now rolling into larger payments on my bigger cards. Making more money helps with this and I am also getting a raise and some back pay dated back to a year ago at some point soon, so that should help wipe out all the credit cards I have. My wife has paid her off already.

For me, I have 2 personal student loans and my car as well. I was going to aim at the smallest student loan first (abou 6k) and then my car (about 18k) but that will put me at December 2022

The problem is, as I lamented above, that I had a collection on my account, from like 10 years ago, I had Comcast in my name, I moved out, my roommates said they'd return the equipment and they never did, I got slammed with a $200 charge, but they were mailing the notices to...the house I no longer lived in and no one sent them my way. Went to collections and I spent the better part of a year arguing with Comcast about it, by the time I decided to pay, the credit company had sold it off to another, who sold it off to another, so I had to wait for it to settle somewhere to pay it off. I did so last month (finally) in full, but it might be 2 months to never for it to improve my score. If it does my score may go up 20ish points?

Also I paid off some credit cards and my score went down 8 points, because it is no longer 'revolving' credit.

10 years ago ... why's it even still on your credit? Like ... wtf?!

But yeah I'm always curious how folks decide to prioritize their debt pay offs. Mostly just academically. I'm a snowball type, I like the feeling of paying off a debt, so I throw as much as I can at the smallest debt, and build from there.

Problem now is we only have two types of debt - student loans and mortgage. So it's like, choose your eternity.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think there's a special rule re: collections that even old debt can be relisted as "new" every time it's sold.

For me, I prioritize lowest amount of debt. The difference between 12-18% is a rounding error on most unsecured debts, so paying off the highest one doesn't really give you too much. But I get so much good feels paying off a debt completely that it helps me pay off the rest and makes it feel like I'm not drowning and make even worse financial decisions.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Do you like Death, Football, and Mirrors? Cause boy do I have a house for you: https://www.redfin.com/MD/Brooklyn-Park/228-Townsend-Ave-21225/home/10392075

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Take away the more obvious bullshit* and that's a perfectly lovely little house, I feel like you could get away with the black and grey if the coffins weren't there. I'd buy it.

*the hearse door would go but the back of the car over the outdoor bar stays, to be clear.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Do you like Death, Football, and Mirrors? Cause boy do I have a house for you: https://www.redfin.com/MD/Brooklyn-Park/228-Townsend-Ave-21225/home/10392075

Boy I ain't never seen black carpet used in a house before, and it is now very apparent why.

• Options
    mirrors around the bed is still the weirdest part of that house

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    There was a Munsters themed house near me that went up for sale a few years ago, and I have the same worry: come Halloween, if you don't go all out for the people who don't know the house got sold, you're gonna get egged.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

...are they really? Cause those I can explain.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    A Raiders fan in Baltimore is the weirdest part.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options

no like I get it

but like

the rest of the house feels eclectic, mirrors around the bed are garish "I have sex" teenager shit to me, I used to think they were cool until I stayed at a hotel with them when I was mid 20s and realize how unflattering they are. And as a homeowner, yack to that. Way more of a pain in the ass to deal with than black carpet.

• Options
    Black carpet seems like the worst choice for a sex dungeon.

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Black carpet seems like the worst choice for a sex dungeon.

oh shit was that carpet in the sex dungeon

I thought it was dyed concrete

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

no like I get it

but like

the rest of the house feels eclectic, mirrors around the bed are garish "I have sex" teenager shit to me, I used to think they were cool until I stayed at a hotel with them when I was mid 20s and realize how unflattering they are. And as a homeowner, yack to that. Way more of a pain in the ass to deal with than black carpet.

I don't think this particular person is worried about looking garish, considering the rest of their house.

Also at first glance the shape of the frame combined with the sheets hanging over made me think that there were leather straps casually attached to the the corners of the bed and I didn't think that was remotely surprising, it's that kinda vibe.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Take away the more obvious bullshit* and that's a perfectly lovely little house, I feel like you could get away with the black and grey if the coffins weren't there. I'd buy it.

*the hearse door would go but the back of the car over the outdoor bar stays, to be clear.

Same. I saw that in Maryland listed for $225,000 and figured it was in the middle of no where. That house here near DC would be $500,000 easy, even as is.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

no like I get it

but like

They're just holding out hope that one of these days they'll bring home a partner who doesn't cast a reflection.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    What's that on the walls in the basement? Rubber?

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Grudge wrote: »
    What's that on the walls in the basement? Rubber?

jss6ijl04d9i.png

It's painted on (top left), so probably some form of water sealing. Probably not a good solution for a waterproof basement though.

bowen on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I kind of love the chandelier and the webbed railings in the attic bedroom there

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

Not a bad idea but I certainly wouldn't pay $340k for it. I would have also installed a 2nd story deck and had the front door lead out to it.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The weirdest thing to me is how they have the whole setup on the main floor for watching tv, and then nothing at all in the basement except for two chairs and another tv. And then another tv in the bed, and...pretty much nothing else. I guess they really just 1. watch tv, 2. drink in the backyard, and 3. have sex? and that's pretty much it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The weirdest thing to me is how they have the whole setup on the main floor for watching tv, and then nothing at all in the basement except for two chairs and another tv. And then another tv in the bed, and...pretty much nothing else. I guess they really just 1. watch tv, 2. drink in the backyard, and 3. have sex? and that's pretty much it.

We are talking about Idaho here.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

If you're talking about the Baltimore house, it's because the whole basement was full of mannequins that the realtor had asked the owner to remove for the photos (from the Slate interview).

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

See I'd really like that garage. A big pull through area for vehicles, a kitchen and bathroom separate from the main house for when you grimy from workin' on the rigs but still need to poop or make a sandwich and a TV and seats for hanging out with your friends while working on rigs, playing video games, or watching youtube videos for how to fix your rig.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    uvf9dv9ablda.jpg

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I guess what's weirdest to me now is that there were things that were too inappropriate to take photos of for the listing, but that list of things didn't include the Raiders shrines. The sex dungeon would sell better I think.

sig.gif
  • Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/29/success/when-will-housing-market-cool-off-feseries/index.html
    Of those 88 offers, 76 were all-cash, said Coleman, who works for RE/MAX Realty Centre. There wasn't even enough time for all of the bidders to visit the property. She said 15 offers were sight unseen.
    The four-bedroom, 1,800 square-foot home sold for $460,000, nearly a 70% increase from the asking price. She said the winning bid was not the highest offer, but it was all-cash with no contingencies and it had paperwork in place. The buyer, she said, is an investor who is likely to renovate and resell at an even higher price.

cool cool cool

https://youtu.be/zDcbpFimUc8

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah we have friends trying to buy a house right now and the market is just saturated with landlords paying cash to flip properties (read: scumbags).

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    3clips3 wrote: »
    Yeah we have friends trying to buy a house right now and the market is just saturated with landlords paying cash to flip properties (read: scumbags).

Landlords? Properties getting flipped (or even more often, demolished for new construction) has been a big, shitty thing in my area for years. It's not landlords that are doing it though.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oh yeah people hella buy properties to rent or AirBnB here.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Its like that in NZ too. Everyone with money is buying up all the houses they can at the moment. Lots of foreign buyers putting in phone bids. And lots of people from Auckland paying near Auckland prices for regional properties.

It feels like everyone's going crazy at once.

• Options
    Yeah when I worked for the bank like two years ago I saw this all the time. A mix of real estate investment firms and people who are making this their new retirement strategy