As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Honestly I really like that house. It needs a lot of TLC and you are certainly going to have to be a do it yourself type, but there is potential there to have a really unique living space.

I definitely don’t care about having a really unique living space.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Honestly I really like that house. It needs a lot of TLC and you are certainly going to have to be a do it yourself type, but there is potential there to have a really unique living space.

See I'm the exact opposite. That tree growing through the house is awesome. It just needs to be framed better.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yes. Exactly.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    The problem is the rest of the house is...too unique for living. And I’m certain several of the exterior “walls” made up of random window configurations are not remotely safe. I’m really curious to see what the house looked like before they started “artistically” adding random things on and extending stone staircases through into the interior.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

See I'm the exact opposite. That tree growing through the house is awesome. It just needs to be framed better.

Well you could make a fake tree growing through the house
    It would be neat to do as you could do the branches across the celing with leaves
    It would be a relaxing place to read in all weather

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I really want to see what an inspector would say about the house. Assuming they survived the inspection.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That house is absolutely not structurally sound. I would refuse to spend any time inside, a lot of those walls look like I could poke a hole right through them, and there's no framing!
    Also whoever is responsible for those "additions" has clearly never bothered to do any research or even use any common sense with regards to simple things like "should steps be three courses of bricks high per rise?" (the answer is no, step rises should not be 12+ inches, they should be closer to HALF that).

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tree growing through house, all I can think of is "oh my god think of all the bugs"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Tree growing through house, all I can think of is "oh my god think of all the bugs"

also is having a house choking off large parts of the tree going to affect the health of the tree

if the tree dies, will it affect the structural stability of the house

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

also is having a house choking off large parts of the tree going to affect the health of the tree

if the tree dies, how the hell do you cut it down without also destroying your house?

• Options
    I will happily live in a cookie cutter house because I don’t go visiting neighbors very often so how would I even know if it's the same or different as anybody else's house anyway.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

if the tree dies, how the hell do you cut it down without also destroying your house?

and does it make a sound

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular

This post has a lot to give, then it just keeps going.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Ice machine not making ice is likely vent/filter area needs cleaned right?
    Wife complained about it yesterday, but I've not had time to take a look at it. Should hopefully be an easy fix for tonight.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Kruite wrote: »

typically you can cut from the top down cutting off 2-3 foot chunks

but if it's INSIDE the house that makes that portion pretty difficult, especially in this house with that 2x4 terrarium there, the one tynic linked would be easy to do

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

A tree that old is gonna be pretty robust if it's still essentially open to the sky (i couldn't find any more pictures of that house but from the amount of light coming through and the sheer size of the tree is be surprised if it was roofed in). It would have to get a disease or a serious infestation to die. And it doesn't look like there's any load on the tree at all, it would be annoying to take out if it does but wouldn't require any major alterations. You'd just slice it from the top. Bugs are our friends, but if you really wanted you could partition those living areas off with sliding glass doors.

In conclusion, we should all live in trees thankyou for coming to my Ted talk

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I feel like the people that built that house thought they could out-do the Winchester Mystery House. They may have succeeded.

Click through the twitter thread for that, there's a great picture of the google map view of the street that house is on; the neighbors have a wall big enough to block out view of that house. I don't really blame them.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I may finally get a dishwasher installed in my house. Dare I dream??

• Options
    Lice are not my friends okay.

Arachnids, those motherfuckers are hells of down and are allowed to make my library as spooky as they like.

• Options
    I leave spiders alone in my house typically, they kill lots of the really nasty bugs I don't like around and I can get past my arachnophobia as long as they don't crawl on me.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I may finally get a dishwasher installed in my house. Dare I dream??

Dishwashers are the way and the light, and new high-efficiency models use less water than hand washing!

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Hmmm. So I called my new apartment a few weeks ago to tell them I wanted to a unit sans the deck and the lady told me she'd swap my application over. Well I never got a new welcome letter with my new payment price so I called today and they were like "....what?"

Turns out the woman I spoke to apparently left or got fired or something and just never told anybody. So luckily, there was still something available and its actually about a hundo cheaper but still. This is the same company that runs my current shitshow of an apartment and I'm getting real nervous that I might just be stepping up to a much more expensive shitshow.

• Options
    hoo yeah.
    Realtors and property management firms are honestly some of the least organised motherfuckers I've ever dealt with in any capacity. Even the ok ones.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    There's also important trees outside that house:

EAtPd8WUIAAxroD.jpg

• Options
    Ok that takes the whole endeavour from lunacy to art.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    There's also important trees outside that house:

EAtPd8WUIAAxroD.jpg

Okay, we need professional landarch assessment - what do you think, @Liiya - does this terrify you?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I just noticed that the bottom one of those 2x4's is painted at one end to match the rest of the house, as if that will somehow make it all alright?
    a57cwsv4y48o.png

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'm honest to goodness confused what I'm even looking at here!

Trees in buildings are nice as long as they're super highly maintained which is a ballache.

• Options
    It's a load-bearing tree.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    It's a load-bearing tree.

Oh! Yeah that's dumb. Trees don't last forever and while building materials don't either I wouldn't trust a tree, at least with something man made you know exactly what's happening.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    May your home grow like the mighty oak

• Options
    I want that tree to keep growing upward and to pull that triangle up and out and it to rip off that part of the house.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    that house is bad but based on the decking i'm pretty sure that's just some metal straps to hang a flag or something on, definitely not attached to that tree that is like 8 feet away.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, yeah, you're right; those bits of wood are closer to the camera than the tree. (unless this is yet another Escher-style weirdness about this house, I guess)
    belvedere-mc-escher.jpg

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Wait so they're not attached to the tree?

Then... what... are they?

Ok look I think this house is alive and is adding on to itself it's become sentient we gotta go there and we gotta kill this house.

We gotta stop it.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

just some extra hangy bits

also i'm 99% certain that, that tree is the one going through the house based on the other pictures.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    that house is bad but based on the decking i'm pretty sure that's just some metal straps to hang a flag or something on, definitely not attached to that tree that is like 8 feet away.

You ruined the fun with logic and accurate vision.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Anybody have any experience with radiant barriers in the attic?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

Ok look I think this house is alive and is adding on to itself it's become sentient we gotta go there and we gotta kill this house.

We gotta stop it.

The SCP practically writes itself. Seriously we need to get on adding a new entry before some half-assed forum tries it.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)