As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I wanted to look at the weird house again and the pics have been removed, and the Zillow entry now says it is sold.

Someone bought the Danger House.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I wanted to look at the weird house again and the pics have been removed, and the Zillow entry now says it is sold.

Someone bought the Danger House.

i may have made a $550 000 mistake

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how to get 700 gallons of water and a colony of feral raccoons out of a house?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    ALL IS WELL IN HOUSE. DO NOT WORRY FELLOW HUMANS. COME VISIT DO NOT BRING WEAPONS.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Didn't that Brolo guy used to live here? Why does the house have another section added on?

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    House appraisal came back. Somehow it was lower than last time. Not sure how that happened. Houses in our area have been selling for higher than normal. We've added gutters to the house and electricity to the garage since the last appraisal. Maybe because the house was looked at by a different mortgage company/group? Either way it's weird.

Glancing at the report, certain boxes aren't ticked but should be. There's a section for appliances, and, according to the boxes, we don't have a refrigerator, oven/stove, or a washer and dryer. We have those things. Wonder what else he missed.

• Options
    House appraisal came back. Somehow it was lower than last time. Not sure how that happened. Houses in our area have been selling for higher than normal. We've added gutters to the house and electricity to the garage since the last appraisal. Maybe because the house was looked at by a different mortgage company/group? Either way it's weird.

Glancing at the report, certain boxes aren't ticked but should be. There's a section for appliances, and, according to the boxes, we don't have a refrigerator, oven/stove, or a washer and dryer. We have those things. Wonder what else he missed.

pfft you call *that* a refrigerator?

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    When we got our house inspected as we were selling. Their inspector said something about the roof might need to be done at some point. We had a new roof put on the damn thing about 3 weeks before he looked at it. Other funny things were "The siding needs replacing". There was one 1/2" scratch, crack,something on the whole siding. Inspectors are some bullshit without a formal license for their job.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    “House inspector” definitely sounds like a bullshit job without some kind of standard to live up to.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm a licensed NAHB Green home inspector

There are definitely good and bad inspectors out there, and hiring a good one with lots of references is definitely worth the money.

Edit: I guess the term they use is certified, not licensed

Xaquin on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    xaquin come inspect my house and then fix it for me thanks

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

I can only inspect it if you're planning to upgrade to NAHB green standards. I will be thorough.

Now, lets discuss my fee .... are there any good pizza places nearby?

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

I can only inspect it if you're planning to upgrade to NAHB green standards. I will be thorough.

How about I let you NAB five green George Washingtons?

• Options
    Like a bribe.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

Good to know that bullshit inspections are the same the world over. When my parents-in-law were selling a bungalow that they'd done up the people who were going to buy it got it appraised and the appraisal came back saying that it was overpriced by something like £100k. Turns out that the inspector the mortgage company got was the same one that did the inspection when the house was first bought and just sent out a photocopy of the original report, whilst still charging for the full inspection. So it said things like "no conservatory", "single level dwelling", "rotten beams in kitchen", "boiler needs replacing".

It was pretty easy to disprove those and report him to the ombudsman as just walking past the house from the road you could see the dormer on the side where a second floor had been added, and if you stepped inside the property at all you would see the brand new boiler, conservatory, new radiators in every room and see the brand-new extended kitchen where the beams had been replaced

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    yes but who ombuds the ombudsmen

• Options
    Me

I do

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Me

I do

Excellent, so you should be able to explain to me what the fuck an "ombud" is?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Me

I do

It's when you're good pals with Brahman.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Me

I do

Well I'm glad someone's doing it.

• Options
  • Options
    Me

I do

Ombudding is when you allow or make available your oxen to a second party’s ox to mate with the intent to produce viable offspring.

• Options
    I thought it was altering brown leather shoes with a deep red dye

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I have no use for this(yet), but I want it.

https://i.imgur.com/WKXW9t3.gif

e: Didn't mean to have the gif autoplay.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

It's a Dwarf Deathroller! A fan favourite on pitches across the Old World!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Like more insulation, better windows, solar, etc? I'd be a fool not to!

There are some fairly decent pizza places around here yes. How do you think I got so rotund?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Like more insulation, better windows, solar, etc? I'd be a fool not to!

There are some fairly decent pizza places around here yes. How do you think I got so rotund?

yeah, there's a bunch of categories that you need specific point values in to get certified. It's actually been a couple years since I've done an inspection. Maryland is pretty strict about this kind of stuff already so it's difficult to go better without spending a small fortune.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Me

I do

It’s Swedish for agent/proxy.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    Me

I do

It’s Swedish for agent/proxy.

Secret OM-budsmaaan, secret OM-budsmaaan

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Fuck. yo. bush.

• Options
    are we still doing phrasing?

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I dunno, what's a phrasing with you?

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Man, that thing is sweet. It barely even slows down when it smashes into those bushes!

• Options

man

i'd be so worried about running into anything that wasn't a bush

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, definitely a major risk there.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

man

i'd be so worried about running into anything that wasn't a bush

WvE3Aww.jpg

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Well it turns out I didn't get out of toilet adventure as unscathed as I thought. Used it this morning and there was some dripping from around the supply line. Gonna replace it with a flex line and hope that solves the problem.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    "Toilet adventure" is my next sick day excuse.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    myTHib3l.jpg

The driveway area behind my house has become kind of a mess with regards to grass growing between the concrete. The concrete slabs vary in size and quality. My old neighbor mentioned that one of the previous homeowners worked in construction, so over time he just poured square after square when he had leftover materials from a job. I don't know if that's actually true, but based on how it's not a straight grid and some of the blocks look like they're in great shape and some of them look like they're just shattered stones being held together by grass, I'm willing to believe it.

What would be a recommended way of dealing with this? Is there something I can do to seal the lines so stuff stops growing after I pull them out?

And is there any hope for the squares like the one in the foreground that are starting to crumble? Some top layer I can spray on it that will help protect it for a few more years, until I'm ready to undertake a replacement?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    myTHib3l.jpg

The driveway area behind my house has become kind of a mess with regards to grass growing between the concrete. The concrete slabs vary in size and quality. My old neighbor mentioned that one of the previous homeowners worked in construction, so over time he just poured square after square when he had leftover materials from a job. I don't know if that's actually true, but based on how it's not a straight grid and some of the blocks look like they're in great shape and some of them look like they're just shattered stones being held together by grass, I'm willing to believe it.

What would be a recommended way of dealing with this? Is there something I can do to seal the lines so stuff stops growing after I pull them out?

And is there any hope for the squares like the one in the foreground that are starting to crumble? Some top layer I can spray on it that will help protect it for a few more years, until I'm ready to undertake a replacement?

Unfortunately, the recommended solution is going to be to redo it all. If it was made in a haphazard manner, you're talking about wildly varying quality, and portions that would be unable to be resin-stabilized. You could see about having it epoxy coated, but again, that would require the base materials to be in solid condition.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum