As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Does the listing say it has a half-bathroom?

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I know I said I wanted a tiny house, but this is ridiculous!

• Options
    The listing said, "Apartment half-off!"

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    probably the worst showering experience ever

With a hose from a truck?. It was not the worst but it was ever so refreshing and nice

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Quarter bathroom.

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

Quarter bathroom.

Stained bucket

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ah the joys of home ownership. The back patio doors are, to put it technically, fucked. You're supposed to lift the handle up to engage the 5-point locks at the top and bottom of the door so it latches fully into the other door and these locks then retract when you push the handle down. What happens with ours now is pushing the handles up causes them to half engage and then pushing the handle down again doesn't do anything at all

Something has severed inside the mechanism so if you want to close the door again you need a persuasion tool (rubber mallet) to slide back the metal hooks. Opening the door in the morning involves unlocking both doors and then pushing outwards until leverage takes over and the doors seperate.

Just when you think you've got everything sorted and can start building your emergency funds back up here comes a big bill from the locksmith

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    I have a electrical testing stuff {the voltmeter the plug test and a pen that tells you if it's live or not.} so it's been a fun game to test the wiring around the house and figure out you need to replace it along with other things
    In all it probably would be cheaper to level it and start anew

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    Gotta say deciding to divide a space horizontally instead of vertically is a really special brand of fucking stupid.

I'm trying to imagine his conversation with the construction crew.

"I want you to divide my condo...no, not like that"

That's a pretty big assumption that any kind of construction crew was involved.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Well, hell. The storms a couple of nights ago left a 20-foot tree limb half broken off and dangling precariously over the supply line between my house and the power lines.

usbydurqd4fx.png

It's going to be a $400 removal job. I wonder if it would have been cheaper to just let the damn thing drop and pay the electrician, but probably not.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Hah.

That actually reminds me of New Years at my MIL's house in rural Philippines.

Electricity isn't a 100% thing there and it was raining. Midnight happened, we were all shaking cans with coins and pots and pans and stuff, and the electricity cuts out RIGHT at midnight. Fireworks going off in the distance, etc. We just assumed something had gotten blown due to draw. After about 10 minutes, notice that all the other houses around us had power still.

A tree branch had collapsed and fallen on a cable like that, but basically only partially, giving just enough tension to pull the connection out from the house. So we were basically trapped in the house because it was raining, everything could have been live because there was a live wire exposed. We couldn't get ahold of the power company (which I think only had two people working?). The back of the property faces a road which the local power company guy was on the other side of. In the middle of the rain, my wife and I manage to get their attention, he's able to call the personal phone of the on-call guy, get them over and fix it at like 3am on New Year's Day.

Fun times!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Well, hell. The storms a couple of nights ago left a 20-foot tree limb half broken off and dangling precariously over the supply line between my house and the power lines.

usbydurqd4fx.png

It's going to be a $400 removal job. I wonder if it would have been cheaper to just let the damn thing drop and pay the electrician, but probably not.

You're talking about thousands of damage if that happens, probably.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Hey people that know stuff, we want to attach one end of a clothesline to our house. It's a brick wall, so we're confused about a few things:

Should we drill into the brick or the mortar?

How should we anchor it?

and I guess is it a bad idea somehow.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Hey people that know stuff, we want to attach one end of a clothesline to our house. It's a brick wall, so we're confused about a few things:

Should we drill into the brick or the mortar?

How should we anchor it?

and I guess is it a bad idea somehow.

Well, is the brick structural or decorative? Wet clothes are heavy, and if it's decorative, it may not take the weight. If it's structural, you'll want to treat it like concrete in terms of fasteners.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Structural, it's the dang ol side of the house. And I'd love to treat it like concrete in terms of fasteners, but I don't know what that means exactly. There's a slightly dizzying array of options, we just want to pick the correct one.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2019
    Drill into the brick, the mortar is more likely to crumble. Concrete screws should actually work really well, they're double threaded and extremely strong, but you could also go with a masonry anchor. You'll definitely need a masonry drill bit for the holes, but those are cheap.

I really wouldn't worry too much, even with extremely wet washing you're unlikely to put enough load on there to cause damage, and if the line does fall it's nothing rewashing the clothes won't fix.

Meanwhile, I'm browsing through cheap wall screens on Amazon and the reviews are a trip.
    I was looking for a unique way to make a special prayer wall for my prayer & war room and when I saw this AWESOME looking room divider I knew this was it

wait what
    my prayer & war room

tynic on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Drill into the brick, the mortar is more likely to crumble. Concrete screws should actually work really well, they're double threaded and extremely strong, but you could also go with a masonry anchor. You'll definitely need a masonry drill bit for the holes, but those are cheap.

I really wouldn't worry too much, even with extremely wet washing you're unlikely to put enough load on there to cause damage, and if the wall does fall it's nothing rewashing the clothes won't fix.

this is how I read that

• Options
    it's called patio living, Xaquin

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Summer garden is in! I spent all of my budge. Whoops.

And only forgot 1 plant! I forgot to get the dill.

that I'm going to need for my cucumbers in summer pickling season.

Also, I have beetroot. So that's going to be fun to try and figure out what to do with!

• Options
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Our cucumbers turned out really well! I'm surprised at how well they've thrived. The place we rotated our tomatoes to, however, did not work quite as well. I think I needed to give them more shade. A lesson for next year.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Summer garden is in! I spent all of my budge. Whoops.

And only forgot 1 plant! I forgot to get the dill.

that I'm going to need for my cucumbers in summer pickling season.

Also, I have beetroot. So that's going to be fun to try and figure out what to do with!

Burgers.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Structural, it's the dang ol side of the house. And I'd love to treat it like concrete in terms of fasteners, but I don't know what that means exactly. There's a slightly dizzying array of options, we just want to pick the correct one.

Dynabolts into the brick. Iirc, quarter inch ones can each hold something like 600 pounds? So the two of them you'll need should be strong enough to hold up the washing for your entire neighbourhood, plus some.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

I really wouldn't worry too much, even with extremely wet washing you're unlikely to put enough load on there to cause damage, and if the line does fall it's nothing rewashing the clothes won't fix.

Meanwhile, I'm browsing through cheap wall screens on Amazon and the reviews are a trip.
    I was looking for a unique way to make a special prayer wall for my prayer & war room and when I saw this AWESOME looking room divider I knew this was it

wait what
    my prayer & war room

Does this person worship Ares

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    It because of this:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Room_(film)
    Elizabeth, a realtor, goes to work with the elderly Miss Clara (Karen Abercrombie) to sell her house. Miss Clara senses the stress Elizabeth is under, and suggests that Elizabeth fight for their marriage by praying for Tony. Miss Clara shows Elizabeth a special closet she has dedicated to praying, and calls it her "War Room" because as she puts it, "In order to stand up and fight the enemy, you need to get on your knees and pray."

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    It because of this:
    Elizabeth, a realtor, goes to work with the elderly Miss Clara (Karen Abercrombie) to sell her house. Miss Clara senses the stress Elizabeth is under, and suggests that Elizabeth fight for their marriage by praying for Tony. Miss Clara shows Elizabeth a special closet she has dedicated to praying, and calls it her "War Room" because as she puts it, "In order to stand up and fight the enemy, you need to get on your knees and pray."

If the person is in the US it ... could be for a completely different reason, sadly.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    My girlfriend’s dad is a wizard.

We found an unbelievable couch at Costco. Comfy leather with motorized reclining and USB ports. After some back and forth (for the last MONTH) we finally decided that it was too nice of a deal to pass up, as every comparable couch, leather or not, was twice the price.

So yesterday we went to buy the thing and found out that A) the couch could only be held by Costco for 3 days, B) the couch would likely not fit in our elevator, and C) if it did, the delivery company was gonna charge us 30 bucks per floor, because allegedly, “the couch is designed for first floor residents only.

So today my girlfriend texts me a photo of the couch in our (unfinished) living room. I have no idea how it got there, I can only assume her father wove all manner of eldritch majicks to make this happen.

Anybody know the steak dinner-to-furniture wizardry exchange rate?

sarukun on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It's a steak for every level I guess.

• Options
    12 steaks to go then, I guess!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

We found an unbelievable couch at Costco. Comfy leather with motorized reclining and USB ports. After some back and forth (for the last MONTH) we finally decided that it was too nice of a deal to pass up, as every comparable couch, leather or not, was twice the price.

So yesterday we went to buy the thing and found out that A) the couch could only be held by Costco for 3 days, B) the couch would likely not fit in our elevator, and C) if it did, the delivery company was gonna charge us 30 bucks per floor, because allegedly, “the couch is designed for first floor residents only.

So today my girlfriend texts me a photo of the couch in our (unfinished) living room. I have no idea how it got there, I can only assume her father wove all manner of eldritch majicks to make this happen.

It's all abut the pivot, mate. Just ask @Zonugal

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    It because of this:

If the person is in the US it ... could be for a completely different reason, sadly.

It could be, but the original comment says the divider is a “prayer wall,” and given my being in the US and closely connected to a number of people who are all about that movie/in conservative evangelical circles, I’m going with the “praying is spiritual warfare” interpretation here. It makes the most...sense. It’s also a really trendy thing in those church circles these days. 🙄

• Options
    That's honestly a less alarming interpretation than my original one, which was that she went to this room to pray for war.
    She signed off with the name of her ministry, so the evangelical interpretation seems extremely likely.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Shiplap when a good man goes to war?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

PIVOT!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

PIV-AT!

Soooooo I thought construction would start in a week or two because things are held up with the title transfer at the government office but my girlfriend signed some paperwork and whoops construction starts tomorrow and is scheduled to finish October 3rd.

*ahem*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It because of this:

It could be, but the original comment says the divider is a “prayer wall,” and given my being in the US and closely connected to a number of people who are all about that movie/in conservative evangelical circles, I’m going with the “praying is spiritual warfare” interpretation here. It makes the most...sense. It’s also a really trendy thing in those church circles these days. 🙄

What kind of god does one pray to to call it spiritual warfare? Badb? Ares? The Emperor of Mankind? It's such a dichotomy having that term connected with Jesus. But what do I know

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    It because of this:

What kind of god does one pray to to call it spiritual warfare? Badb? Ares? The Emperor of Mankind? It's such a dichotomy having that term connected with Jesus. But what do I know

There's definitely evidence to suggest the God of Israel was absolutely a war deity

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Yeah, it's very connected to the God the Father idea and the war against Satan and his demons who are always trying to corrupt believers and the earth. It's a lot to do with verses about strongholds and things Paul said. And yes, very much bolstered by the actions of the Old Testament God of Israel--basically allegorizing the conquest for and defense of the nation Israel as the Church and the spiritual life of Christians. It's a whole big thing that ignores a looooot about Jesus that I am glad I am no longer involved with...

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Awesomed for learning something.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Right, it's not supposed to be earthly warfare, but warfare with demons that you're praying about. And I don't think that ignores Jesus, really, because he cast out demons, too.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind