As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I want to make a living moss bathmat

Oh, hey. I had no idea you were my first college roommate.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I want to make a living moss bathmat

Oh, hey. I had no idea you were my first college roommate.

Yes I will never pay you back for that beer I drank and told you I "totally owed you one, bro" and there is nothing, nothing you can do about it now.

Also I farted in the general direction of your toothbrush many times.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    You know, I'm not thrilled with the way they're cozying up with police departments, but I don't think I could live without a video doorbell at this point.

6ceo93dmg7ph.png

I have no idea why these gentlemen just rang my bell, and I am thrilled that I didn't have to find out.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I use the old fashioned "if you didn't text me first, I'm not opening the door"

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I'm just waiting until machine learning progresses to the point where my doorbell can just describe the people to me.

"Sir, there are two gentlemen at the door."

"Are either of them holding delivery food?"

"No, sir."

"Do any of them resemble extras from Bioshock Infinite?"

"One of them, sir. Almost precisely, sir."

"Very good. Release the hounds."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When I had my coyote she was very defensive of the yard/house so it was rather a nice excuse to politely tell people it's not a great time to answer the door as you hear aggressive growls calling for blood

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Things I will never have: a wired home.
    I’m not even terribly keen on powered windows in a car.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I don't even trust electric starters. Manual crank powered car starters for life.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Electricity itself is an invention of the devil

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    the view from my new place

EEkSAajXkAMg5E3.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    We've got our house about 80% of the way there in terms of getting ready to sell. Just need to install a new kitchen sink this week as well as get the painters in to touch up a few rooms.

We're hoping to put an offer in on our next home towards the later end of the week. We're essentially doubling our current budget and making the leap into what will likely be our forever home. Super nervous about balancing the sale of our current house in tandem with the offer on the new home. We may need to look into a bridge loan or dip deep into our savings to cover our equity if we don't get a sale on our current house quickly.

• Options
    annnnd we just found out that the house we liked has a planned development for a large apartment building right behind it so it will be sandwiched between some high density buildings and a busy road. Fuck.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So I tripped a breaker I think because I had a blow dryer on one of the outlets in the chain, and a kettle on one of the other outlets. It's a chained set of GFCI protected outlets, but some are old and some are new. Zach found the breaker tripped and turned it back on, but it didn't fix the problem - one of the new ones I put in works fine, none of the other chained outlets work. I'm wondering if I should just start replacing the old shitty outlets until it works, or just call the electrician. I'm thinking the second option, but Zach wants to try troubleshooting again after a rest.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Apparently when it tripped the breaker it didn't trip all the way and stopped in the middle. I was able to force it over all the way and then reset it which worked. I'm a little worried about that but I guess it shut the power off like it's supposed to so it's fine?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Apparently when it tripped the breaker it didn't trip all the way and stopped in the middle. I was able to force it over all the way and then reset it which worked. I'm a little worried about that but I guess it shut the power off like it's supposed to so it's fine?

I always that m thought that's how they're supposed to work? You have to switch it off completely before you can turn it back on.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »

I always that m thought that's how they're supposed to work? You have to switch it off completely before you can turn it back on.

yeah if by the middle you mean the location of the switch, then yeah they're supposed to work that way and it's a safety feature.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Oh. Well, shit. That particular switch has always been a bit crooked so I thought it was just from that.

Good to know.

• Options
    I bought a house!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Congrats! Deets? Are you freaking out?

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm just waiting until machine learning progresses to the point where my doorbell can just describe the people to me.

"Sir, there are two gentlemen at the door."

"Are either of them holding delivery food?"

"No, sir."

"Do any of them resemble extras from Bioshock Infinite?"

"One of them, sir. Almost precisely, sir."

"Very good. Release the hounds."

It's some extremely, "I am not an agent" video game attire

dh4pco8xhd7e.jpg

xolqz0b3dxy7.jpg

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Congrats! Deets? Are you freaking out?

Super freaking out. Now we just have to sell our current bungalow.

We've been saving for close to ten years at this point so we are incredibly excited to make the move. We like our current area but are right next to a big apartment building and we're on a very busy street. We bought a 9 year old executive custom made bungalow from a couple downsizing into a garden home. The house is BEAUTIFUL (I'd post pictures but that seems weird with the listing having our future address etc, I'll post some independently later). My partner wanted new and I wanted character and this house was the perfect blend of the two.

More than anything, having grown up in older homes, I'm just foolishly excited to have doors and drawers that close easily Vs the ones I've had to take a running start at to fully shut that I'm used to. And an ensuite bathroom......ahhhhhhh.....

We close late November and I'm so happy we'll be settled by Xmas.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    House thread, I have returned from two weeks of vacation to the realities of house chores. And also that my lawn hasn't been mowed in two weeks and it's just rained a whole heck of a lot.

What I'm saying is, someone come over and mow my lawn please and thank.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    House thread, I have returned from two weeks of vacation to the realities of house chores. And also that my lawn hasn't been mowed in two weeks and it's just rained a whole heck of a lot.

What I'm saying is, someone come over and mow my lawn please and thank.

Find yourself a neighborhood teen for that, they're perfect for it!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Jeez, I was super groggy yesterday and half dozed off on my couch when I got scammed. I feel so dumb, I'm normally not like this at all! Someone knocked on the door (I was reminded of this story because i need one of those doorbells!) and from my couch they could see me and I could see them so I felt bad. I opened it and this woman asked to see the electric bill because "periodically we check to ensure that you're not being overcharged."

In my stupor I thought they were from my power company so I was like ok, and next thing I know she's like "Ugh, dammit! Yeah, this isn't right. Here, we can get it down to this and it's a free service, so just sign here."

I figured ok, the number they showed me was lower than the number on my bill, so I'm fine. $0 cancellation fee and $0 service fee right on the bill.

It was only after I went inside that I googled them ("Direct Energy") and realized not only are they not my energy provider they're also a little shady. It didn't seem like a SCAM so much as it was just not a great deal most of the time.

The contract had a "cancel within 3 days" thing and I called right away and they were actually super nice about it.

But ugh the ONE time I open the door this happens. Investing in a Ring and a no solicitors sign today.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Keep an extra watch on your credit for awhile as well.
    That's usually a two prong scam; one to get you to sign up for their 'service,' and two to get your account# and personal info.

Maybe call up your regular power company and let them know what happened. Probably won't care but may put an extra flag on your account.

We had those guys roll through this summer. I called the police on them. If it's actually Comcast or whatever, I don't because people gotta work, but the guys you got their whole model is tricking people.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Jeez, I was super groggy yesterday and half dozed off on my couch when I got scammed. I feel so dumb, I'm normally not like this at all! Someone knocked on the door (I was reminded of this story because i need one of those doorbells!) and from my couch they could see me and I could see them so I felt bad. I opened it and this woman asked to see the electric bill because "periodically we check to ensure that you're not being overcharged."

In my stupor I thought they were from my power company so I was like ok, and next thing I know she's like "Ugh, dammit! Yeah, this isn't right. Here, we can get it down to this and it's a free service, so just sign here."

I figured ok, the number they showed me was lower than the number on my bill, so I'm fine. $0 cancellation fee and $0 service fee right on the bill.

It was only after I went inside that I googled them ("Direct Energy") and realized not only are they not my energy provider they're also a little shady. It didn't seem like a SCAM so much as it was just not a great deal most of the time.

The contract had a "cancel within 3 days" thing and I called right away and they were actually super nice about it.

But ugh the ONE time I open the door this happens. Investing in a Ring and a no solicitors sign today.

Yeah I fell for that one too, or some company similar, but luckily Zach googled it while I was talking to the guy and found out it was a scam, and stopped me before I gave them my info.

We now do have a camera on my front door and I don't open it unless it's package or food delivery (or our lawnmowing neighborhood teen). Everyone else can leave a note on my door if it's important.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Couple months ago some guy came up to me while I was finishing up yardwork, just covered in sweat and grass clippings and having None Of It, and he starts in on whatever sales pitch and I had to stop him and ask him what company he represented. I don't even sort of recall what he said, but it wasn't my utility company so I told him no thanks.

Now I'm wondering if it's the same scam.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I never recieved any sort of cancellation confirmation (the guy on the phone said it hadn't even gone through yet, it was like 20 minutes after they left. so he caught it before it ever became official), but I see here there's a mail thing too. I think I'm going to follow the mail cancellation instructions as well just to be safe.

I can not believe I fell for this. I am usually so good about this stuff.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    After my father died the gas company came that fall. Just the person did not say they were from the gas company they were very upfront saying I needed to pay $450 in cash to him right then or he would shut the gas off. I told him I don't have that kind of money in cash and questioned who he was. {he came in a generic white pickup} He tore down the fence to the backyard and shut off the gas. So since then I have not had gas in the house a couple of years later the gas company again tore down my fence and took the gas meter not leaving a note.

It's little wonder I really dislike living here since my father died

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    it's a pretty common scam in areas with deregulated utilities, usually the scam suppliers have cheaper rates for like 2 months and then they skyrocket way above the baseline and count on you not canceling to make money.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Last night I dreamed that I was hunting for a new apartment. They were all bad and overpriced and in the wrong parts of town, and the whole time I was uncomfortably aware that I didn't really want to get rid of my house anyway.

I was torn as to whether this belonged here or in the spooky thread.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So, they just throw money at home owners I guess?

I got my star rebate (nearly 1k) because my taxes are too high for my income (NYS thing) two weeks or so ago.

I just got another refund check of roughly the same value because my school district participates in property tax relief stuff and managed to comply with tax requirements.

So uh... thanks NYS?

$6000 is a much more reasonable property tax number than $8000 for the year.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    We had our inspection yesterday afternoon at the new house and the house inspector said it was just about the cleanest inspection he's ever done. After having to go through four inspections on different properties when we bought our first house it was such a relief to hear.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with fast-setting concrete for posts?

Just watched a video on Quickrete's site where they use fast-setting concrete to set a post and they just dump it into the hole and then add water. Literally no mixing.
    Thoughts?

Cause damn if that wouldn't make my upcoming project a shit ton easier.

I'm going to be pouring about 3-4 bags worth into a big flower pot and yep - life just got easier.

Update: Shit worked, yo.

Five 50 pound bags of concrete per pot. Dump it in, add a gallon of water per bag, give a little stirry-stir and then add the next, etc.

I'll post a picture of the shade structure itself at some point when the rest of the backyard is done (getting there!), but it's pretty basic. Already the concrete slab is way way more usable and comfortable so this was time, sweat, and money well spent. The guys are coming to put in the turf next week, and then I've got to order a cubic yard of decorative stone and get that distributed into a 3.5' x 45' "garden strip" that I dug out.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So I just discovered Hoosier cabinets. When we remodel our kitchen I'm going to have to have a custom set of cabinets built in this style. It's so utilitarian yet stylish in a classic way.

Or I could collect a few antique ones, and have one for my baking, one for my canning and one for my cast iron. (the wall would be big enough for 3)

"A Hoosier cabinet (also known as a "Hoosier") is a type of cupboard or free–standing kitchen cabinet that also serves as a workstation. It was popular in the first few decades of the 20th century, since most houses did not have built–in kitchen cabinetry. The Hoosier Manufacturing Co. of New Castle, Indiana, was one of the earliest and largest manufacturers of this product, causing the term "Hoosier cabinet" to become a generic term for that type of furniture. By 1920, the Hoosier Manufacturing Company had sold two million cabinets."

c9t063mdfd0r.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Seeing that picture reminds me of a question I've had for a while
    What do you do with furniture and baseboards? Seems like covering up the heater is a bad idea because you're blocking the heat plus the heat is likely damaging the wood. On the other hand, there are only four walls in a room with two covered by the heaters so there are limited places to put all the furniture.

How do you guys solve this conundrum?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Mostly you just put it about 6" out from the baseboard and call it good. There really isn't much to be done. Depending on the room and how much you don't mind having a cold spot in the house you can always turn off a baseboard for most of the year if you want something somewhere without worry.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I lived without heat for three years in grad school because if I hadn't put bookshelves in front of all the baseboard heaters I wouldn't have had room for my books.

This was a good decision, because it meant that when I got trapped in my apartment for a week during a hellish ice storm, I had plenty of books to read. And since the power was out, I wouldn't have had heat anyway!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    “Hey hon, I went shopping for autumn decorations today!”
    “Great! What did you get?”
    “You know, a pumpkin, and autumn wreath, a decorative sign, that kind of thing.”
    “Wonderful! What does the sign say?”
    plmhbik8ii1h.jpeg

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    “Hey hon, I went shopping for autumn decorations today!”
    “Great! What did you get?”
    “You know, a pumpkin, and autumn wreath, a decorative sign, that kind of thing.”
    “Wonderful! What does the sign say?”
    plmhbik8ii1h.jpeg

For those times you need to put a good spin on court-ordered informing the neighbours.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.