As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

wrestling thread: rollins 3:16 says i just licked your boot!

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i feel like i re-have this crisis every few months

i turn into full frank grimes freak-out mode

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    AJ now is your chance to be meltzer 2: money never sleeps

• Options
    i am glad you are using the newly crowned replacement to "electric boogaloo"

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'd bet if almost anyone here started watching every single match (or however many matches he reviews) and reviewing match by match in easy to digest format, they could garner a following

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    i am glad you are using the newly crowned replacement to "electric boogaloo"

the public spoke

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    No Taichi matches got five stars, it's pretty clear Meltzer is a fucking chancer and doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Also Okada vs Poundland Shibata was like watching paint dry but whatever, I'm not going to quibble over that getting too high a rating when the real travesty here is Taichi not getting his due.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Taichi is garbage

Next you are going to tell me YOSHI-HASHI is underrated

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I've got to catch up on the G1. I need to do it while it's still fresh in my mind.

That Naito vs Shingo was a fucking banger though. I really love the Made In Japan as a move.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    yeah same, I've been slightly tuned out of wrestling for a bit... so many matches there I need to see though.

I'm going away next week, worst case I'll watch them on vacation. I've always enjoyed that kind of thing, for whatever reason. playing a gameboy (now switch) and watching something I brought in a hotel room is something I love doing more than I can ever explain. reminds me of being a kid in some way.

once in early high school I brought a tv and my ps2 to a hotel and played sly cooper for like a day anda half straight. dosn't make sense! but it's true! and it was phenomenal.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Taichi is garbage

InfamousTenseDunlin-size_restricted.gif

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    i want goldberg to beat ziggler, then beat brock lesnar to become a two-time universal champion just to get his win back

and then retire

after dropping the belt to baron corbin

Goldberg vacates the title, leaving it in the ring and walking to the back. Cut to commercial.

During commercial, Baron comes out from under the ring (hiding after an incident earlier in the evening, let's say), grabs the title, sticks it awkwardly under his vest, and just tries to casually exit through the crowd.

In a dimly lit area backstage, a nervous Baron check's over his shoulder before colliding with R-Truth, who's doing the same. They each grab a title, and carry on about their way...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Mox has been a nice fresh element to this G1 and has had some great matches, but I would say overall he’s not one of the top performers. But it’s a little unfair, the G1 is just completely stacked with talent.

His best matches have been with Naito, Shingo, and especially Ishii IMO. The White match was pretty good as well, and the Yano one was very fun. The ones with Taichi, Goto, and Cobb are pretty forgettable, but still fine.

Overall he’s had a pretty good run of it. I’m excited for his last match with Juice.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Also Taichi is a good wrestler who is capable of great matches, and is one of the best heels in the company. I wouldn’t put him in the upper echelon of NJPW guys, but he plays an important and entertaining role.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Does anyone actually give a fuck about Meltzer's star rankings anymore?

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Catching up on DDT Beer Garden shows.

Moonlight Express Day featured an NwA reunion and concert! :D

Might be hard for DAMNATION to top that.

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    This isn't confirmed but there's talk that NXT will be moving to FS1 and also going to a 2 hour live format. Also NXT is expected to feature more "main roster" talent to "pop ratings". All the folks who needed the fainting couch for Fight for the Fallen going head to head with Evolve on the WWE network are going to probably need to break them out again if this actually comes to pass.

I think going live and using main roster guys when NXT already has so much talent that is never featured is a really bad. I just really enjoy NXT as it is now and feel like what makes it special can easily be lost if they are trying to "pop ratings" This is just a dirt sheets thing right now but it seems pretty likely to happen.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    jonny439 wrote: »
    This isn't confirmed but there's talk that NXT will be moving to FS1 and also going to a 2 hour live format. Also NXT is expected to feature more "main roster" talent to "pop ratings". All the folks who needed the fainting couch for Fight for the Fallen going head to head with Evolve on the WWE network are going to probably need to break them out again if this actually comes to pass.

I think going live and using main roster guys when NXT already has so much talent that is never featured is a really bad. I just really enjoy NXT as it is now and feel like what makes it special can easily be lost if they are trying to "pop ratings" This is just a dirt sheets thing right now but it seems pretty likely to happen.

On the other hand it could be really good so long as Vince doesn't have the reins and HHH still does. Like, we might see the main roster actually wrestle.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Meltzer ratings are important because they let me enjoy the fact that Toru Yano's amazing sense of humour appeals to literally every person on the planet except Dave Meltzer.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I have tickets for AAA's MSG show.

I don't think it's going to happen / have to figure out if I can cancel my hotel room.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Yeah, been following luchablog a bit. That exact tweet is why I was being annoyed this morning.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    It wouldn't be AAA if something didn't go horribly wrong tbf.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    It's totally shady that thecubsfan, who is one of if not the most reliable English-language lucha sources, has to come out and say "these shows don't look like they're happening but I can't say for certain because my AAA contacts are kinda ghosting me on the issue"

but it's also totally unsurprising

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Triplemania was perfect and had only one or two noticeable fuckups, so it's just a way of restoring balance to the universe

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Looks like Joe Hendry is going to Ring of Honor. I want to support Joe, but I don’t really want to follow RoH.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    Looks like Joe Hendry is going to Ring of Honor. I want to support Joe, but I don’t really want to follow RoH.

That's how I feel about Bandido, Rush, and Dragon Lee being there.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Magell wrote: »

That's how I feel about Bandido, Rush, and Dragon Lee being there.

At least Bandido's gone in 3 months (contract expires after Final Battle in December)

Happy to see he's likely bound for either AEW or New Japan

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

I mean the good news is that Ring of Honor isn't just bad but also Ring of Honor is bad so you won't want to watch Ring of Honor.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ROH isn’t actually bad so much as it’s just really bland and uninteresting from a creative standpoint.

The actual wrestling is generally good but it all just feels...unexciting.

They need a massive shakeup when it comes to their creative and their presentation but they seem contempt to just plug along and do nothing.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    RoH is so bad Alex Shelley coming back can't get me to watch and he's my favorite wrestler.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    There's no way that NXT going on TV doesn't involve Vince messing with the product

I would be incredibly surprised to be told otherwise

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Apparently cause of his DUI issues Jimmy Uso can’t come into Canada and the Uso’s have been taken off all Summerslam events

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    RoH is so bad Alex Shelley coming back can't get me to watch and he's my favorite wrestler.

Do they still have a working relationship with New Japan? At the very least maybe we can get a Shelley Vs ZSJ dream match out of this.

• Options
    Whippy wrote: »

okay so how much wrestling is there in a week

like two hours right

this should be easy

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

like two hours right

this should be easy
    Just have two screens and watch wrestling on one and looped episodes of Next on the other

You can watch infinite wrestling that way

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

like two hours right

this should be easy
    Just have two screens and watch wrestling on one and looped episodes of Next on the other

but if goldberg is cutting a promo how will i know what i am watching

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

like two hours right

this should be easy

Does it really matter?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

like two hours right

this should be easy

Does it really matter?

not even a little bit

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm now imagining that wrestlers get called up from NXT in a similar fashion, Vince waits for them to get off a tour bus and then forces them to complete ridiculous tasks to win his approval. Like speed-eating a snow cone without succumbing to brain freeze, holding in a sneeze, or fighting a dog.

And of course at least one wrestler is immediately kicked off every episode for being too short.

uyvfOQy.png
This discussion has been closed.