Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Roleplaying Games] I Feel a Tingle in my Verse

15678911»

• KadokenKadoken see what me tell you, seen Registered User regular
    edited October 7
    admanb wrote: »
    There aren't many worse feelings than a player just not paying attention. A lot of my players sit on their phones when they aren't active (we play combat-light games with a lot of spotlight switching) which bugs me, but when focus switches to them they react quickly and are usually aware of what's been going on. If that trend shifted we would need to have some talks.

I have shifted values on passive players over time being on both ends of the screen and playing with two great ones that aren’t uber active but when they are the stuff out their mouth is usually gold.

Managing multiple people and being in a group with multiple active people is hard sometimes as I, in a DnD game with like 4 high activity to 1 low activity person, have learned. As long as they do pay semi attention, are not disruptive, and do pipe up from time to time and seem to genuinely enjoy hearing from the others passive players are not so bad.

Then you have the problem player I have spoken of who is (although getting a lot better) somehow high activity, just forgets swathes of things he heard ten minutes ago, and is disruptive at times to the point I muted him when he interrupted me setting a very important scene after asking him not to three times in a row.

Also very kind of bluntly mechanically minded where after saving the bar from the drukhari worshippers he says, like it’s a transaction, they can make the bar indebted to them for saving them. When everyone takes a pause and says they already like the players and would keep their mouths shut (and I almost piped in with, “and at least one of them wants to bang at least one of you!”).

The specific problem with this specific veteran player is I put in a lot of input and investment into his stuff and I wasn’t receiving mutual attentiveness or output. Also our history is longer so I expect more.

Kadoken on
    I am going to shoot this mystery with my pistol of deduction -Sherlock Holmes (Scott Benson)
    Mine TTRPG blog http://darkheresychainsofmalice.blogspot.com/
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    After one session I've inherited my wife's Star Wars campaign. She wasn't comfortable running yet and didn't want to disappoint the group she assembled.
    The first thing I've done is move the setting from the first session to a sector of space that I'm creating myself. One of the players is an encyclopedia of Star Wars lore and I didn't want anyone fact checking my usage of planets, creatures, etc..

So here I am writing a Sector Guide for the players so everyone is on equal footing when it comes to knowledge of the area. The game is set a few years before the Rebels show started. I've got 5 different solar systems in the outer rim to play with. I've created the heavily Imperial planets, the few fringe planets with heavy Rebel leanings, and a extremely independent planet that doesn't want anything to do with either. In addition I've got locations for some pirate bases, the Black Suns main location, the Mining Guild, and numerous ruins of older civilizations (with rumors of lost Jedi temples in the ruins).

Any suggestions for things I might be missing? Fun stuff to add into Star Wars games? I think I've set up a good sandbox for them to run in whatever direction they want. The group is mixed between the systems but the players who used Edge to create their characters both have expressed interest in the Rebellion.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    KadokenElvenshaeDizzy DDarkPrimusRhesus PositivecrimsoncoyoteMrVyngaardnever die
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    After one session I've inherited my wife's Star Wars campaign. She wasn't comfortable running yet and didn't want to disappoint the group she assembled.
    The first thing I've done is move the setting from the first session to a sector of space that I'm creating myself. One of the players is an encyclopedia of Star Wars lore and I didn't want anyone fact checking my usage of planets, creatures, etc..

So here I am writing a Sector Guide for the players so everyone is on equal footing when it comes to knowledge of the area. The game is set a few years before the Rebels show started. I've got 5 different solar systems in the outer rim to play with. I've created the heavily Imperial planets, the few fringe planets with heavy Rebel leanings, and a extremely independent planet that doesn't want anything to do with either. In addition I've got locations for some pirate bases, the Black Suns main location, the Mining Guild, and numerous ruins of older civilizations (with rumors of lost Jedi temples in the ruins).

Any suggestions for things I might be missing? Fun stuff to add into Star Wars games? I think I've set up a good sandbox for them to run in whatever direction they want. The group is mixed between the systems but the players who used Edge to create their characters both have expressed interest in the Rebellion.

Maybe a dense, sensor disrupting, nebula hiding an abandoned Clone Wars era super weapon? If you're not feeling the Clone Wars, any earlier era could do. Super weapons are built to last (at least, until the narrative says otherwise). Could be a fun thing to build a campaign around.
    An idea I had posted some time ago had this super weapon being a Homeworld style Mothership developed by the Separatist faction. It had been shut down and hidden away before it could play a part in the war with the plan to wait until the Republic got complacent, reactivate the ship and wreck stuff anew. The players unintentionally restart it by entering the dense nebula at speed to hide from pursuit (in my McGuffin nebula, that caused a wave of ionized space lightning to cascade through the nebula and that rebooted the ship). The weapon starts producing small attack craft and raiding nearby trade lanes to harvest material for larger, more dangerous craft.
    There was a bit about the players being recruited by the Empire to ferry a load of storm troopers on board (they said they wanted to disable it, but...?), as the beat up old freighter the players had just happens to be a model that should be recognized by the Separatist automation as a resupply craft. But I never really developed it beyond that as my group tends to be more D&D or Shadowrun focused.

Can't go wrong with a swarm of space whales either. The force loves itself some space whales.

Not saying "Vong", but if you're rimward, an external unknown faction of hostile aliens can be a considerable supply of plot hooks if needed.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Ken O
  • ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    never forget the chiss are exactly that and way more awesome than the vong

PolaritieSteelhawkKen OFuselageKadokenMrVyngaard
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    edited October 10

Tales From The Loop is free to download just for today!

DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    KadokenKen Owebguy20davidsdurionsMarshmallowRhesus PositivesullijoMrVyngaard
    edited October 17
    In Vigilante they won the fight against the heart stealers. Overwatch is nasty stuff which is why I depowered it in the Overhaul but it’s still pretty strong. Right place, right position makes all the difference in the world which isn’t that easy to get every time in DH.

They outran the cops via smoke grenades and popping their tires, got confronted by a motorcycle cowboy-themed vigilante who was following them for the one they shot, and they met one character’s long lost dad with siblings he never knew he had. The vigilante helping the other had it real easy figuring out who their real personas were since they cannot stop name dropping names only they would know. Then the No-Show showed up to the bar they frequent, ordered a beer, and sat with them in uncomfortable silence. Then asked them to speak privately with her where she called them impulsive amateur jackasses for shooting her during a job. Then they got their punishment.

Clean her big ass manse in the walled-off rich part of the city. She had to send away her help on vacation so they wouldn’t tell anyone about the giant bullet wound she kept grasping. She has had no help for two weeks. After tending to the above-board bits she talked to them for a bit after they cooked her dinner. Kind of realized I had given her essentially the Matt Murdock background minus the missing mother and her dad still lives. Basically her mom was an orders hospitaller nun that broke her vow of chastity and kept it a secret. Then when she successfully hid it she used her promoted position as essentially the equivalent of a real life canoness (and not 40k’s gun ones) and hospital director to give her daughter everything she could. Her pitfighter of a dad taught her how to fight because she idolized the sisters of battle but couldn’t join them. She was sent off to boarding school to become part of the Administratum and she had a knack for numbers and a productive curiosity which is why she’s basically somewhere between an auditor and an investigator that makes sure businesses pay the tithe correctly. Also she started a fightclub at her school and almost got expelled but her mother stepped in again.

Then she told them how she got started taking down serial killers she couldn’t touch normally because their aristocrat parents and why all of them including her needed to be more careful in this work. To that point, she led them to a shrine to show them something.

To input a code that led them to a kinky whip and chain dungeon. To input a code that leads past her false fallback secret to her true secret that was somewhere between the batcave and the white Nolan bunker. She told them to clean her guns, her car, and all of her equipment.

One of them gets stuck when a carjack fails.

At the end she sets up their position in a contact network other vigilantes use for assets and materials. Mechanically they can now make requisition tests with their fellowship scores instead of their tiny influence. This whole thing was the extension of an olive branch. To get them to not mess in her work again, but an olive branch nonetheless.

Also $50 each which in the relative inflation we deal with is closer to about $75-100 for like eight hours work. A bastard sword is $7, a sound cancelling device is $15, go figure.

Also the goth bf came around and saw the felinid player character who dates him in a maid outfit for being the one that shot her. The BF found it kawaii. So did the player. (That genre doesn’t exist in 40k folks and she did it because she thought it would embarrass him and also help him since that day she was in the bar she saw how the BF looked at him and told the PC, “that’s not hunger. That’s more dangerous.”)

Then gave the goth BF a job to basically pick up where they left off for the rest of the week for a decent amount of money. The guy does oddjobs to make ends meet. The felinid PC then turns the situation around on the No-Show in terms of embarrassment when he tells the goth BF about the bdsm dungeon.

The BF who is rather sensitive starts nervously blubbering and stuttering and his cat ears lay flat on his head as he’s uncomfortable and doesn’t understand exactly what the PC is implying. The PC rather sweetly tells him it was just a joke.

Oh also the guy asked the PC if their second date could be subway surfing while guided by a teenage vandal that sprayed all the felinids as cats on the bar they’re employed in. Not a hate crime just cheeky. Goth bf after his harrowing experience is willing to take more risks. The other couple is basically going to do the Rocky 1 ice skating scene (- Paulie shittiness) and have a trip to the pet cafe. Where the jokaero will be waiting. Third date with the goth BF the PC will see how deep down the Bohemian hipster rabbit hole goes when they go to his favorite recaf shop to meet his other artist friends. (Also possibly meet a new asset for their vigilante work)

The felinid PC went home with the rest at the end of the session. Specifically to the hunting lodge his mom owns that he has been distant with for 20 years. He went with essentially a Hunter S. Thompson disguise and won against like 8 scrutiny tests (which were in his favor with a big bonus to deceive) against his mom’s best friend, his dad, the mom herself, and almost got outed by the head bartender of the bar they frequent.

She took a vacation out there to get away from the city after her trauma from the attack on the bar. Also said she really wanted to get out of her contract to her employer and buy a building in the upper-middle class part of the city that is relatively super cheap but no one wanted it because it was the site of some bad shit two hundred years ago (which involves my felinid alt in my friend’s campaign who works for the inqusition because she saw some bad shit there she really shouldn’t have). Also it would be a good place for secret headquarters in the basement and a possible safehouse for the vigilantes.

Finally they end the session and witness Dark Eldar making a deal with a sadistic chymist they’ve been chasing for a bit.

Also the felinid character had the choice to accept being found out by his family (and I have a good chunk of stuff related with that planned) but chose to not do that stuff right now and I used his little sister tripping next to him to lower the the DoS his dad had on him.

Mm, they also met my converted DnD gnoll monk character. They know she’s a hyena beastman, has a staff that resembles mine in DnD, and has psychic abilities that resemble her powers but I’m not sure if they put it all together. She came around to find the new inquisitor searching for her master’s group to tell him to not stick his nose where it doesn’t belong. She came by in a techpriest disguise that hid her form (which is also a regular thing I do to hide manhounds and beastmen in my games). The Casanova wannabe PC tried to ask her out after failing his stealth test to follow (he doesn’t have stealth) and she scared him off by just showing off her hyena snout.

I’ve been planning some of this stuff out forever and glad I got to do it.

Kadoken on
    I am going to shoot this mystery with my pistol of deduction -Sherlock Holmes (Scott Benson)
    edited October 13
    When questioned by both the cowboy rider type and the pseudo-Rorscharch one of the players tried to cover herself and said, “I don’t really like guns,” to them asking who shot pseudo-Rorscharch to which both responded sassily, “girl, you have motherfucking gunpowder on your sleeves.” She had just emptied a magazine of her uzi-adjacent gun not five minutes ago from her saying that the first time.

Kadoken on
  • ArdentArdent extra Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    In my experience with Star Wars, and especially with Rebellion campaigns, there's three mainstay stories: battles (usually losing them), heists, and diplomatic. While having a gazetteer is awesome and will help the players sink into the sector, you've got to keep things in mind. Yeah, you've got a mining planet, but is there an isolated ore depot in the system the Rebels might want to hit for supplies? Yeah, Polis Primalis is an Imperial stronghold, but that doesn't necessarily mean the locals are happy about it; is there an underground there they can link up with?

You may want to identify a Shadowport they can use when the heat's on, and even get some repairs and modifications done on their ship. I'm fond of the Shadowport-in-a-port move; where suddenly their exploits get them access to a part of a port they use regularly they didn't know existed. But there's a lot to be said for "why is there a repair facility on this remote and otherwise uninhabited planet?"

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
    ElvenshaeKadokenMrVyngaard