[Roleplaying Games] Schrodinger's NPC

11112141617

Posts

  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    FFG has been doing really good work with their Genesys system and all its variants.

    Literally the only reason why it's being ended is because the capitalist vultures on top feel they could be making more money making CCGs or miniature games instead of RPG books.

    ...Fuck, we never got an Android setting book for Genesys, did we?

    There is an Android supplement: Shadow of the Beanstalk

    There's also a general Android Lore book as well. The Worlds of Android.

    You can get the PDF from DriveThru RPG if you can't find a physical copy.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    That sucks about FFG so much, I just got my Expanded Rules guide for Genesys over the holidays. Despite being a huge fan of the FF StarWars games, I still think it was a bad idea to separate the rules like they did.

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    MrVyngaard
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed we will never get an era sourcebook for any time during the ST.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    FFG has been doing really good work with their Genesys system and all its variants.

    Literally the only reason why it's being ended is because the capitalist vultures on top feel they could be making more money making CCGs or miniature games instead of RPG books.

    ...Fuck, we never got an Android setting book for Genesys, did we?

    Is there a source on that? Not saying you're wrong but I've been under the impression that Star Wars and Genesys have been fairly low volume sales. If they are being sold, as the article says, whoever purchases them likely wants them because they have licenses for both Marvel and Star Wars.

    This likely means a new SW rpg system in the next five years, though.

  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the StarWars license go back to WotC.

    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    FFG has been doing really good work with their Genesys system and all its variants.

    Literally the only reason why it's being ended is because the capitalist vultures on top feel they could be making more money making CCGs or miniature games instead of RPG books.

    ...Fuck, we never got an Android setting book for Genesys, did we?

    Is there a source on that? Not saying you're wrong but I've been under the impression that Star Wars and Genesys have been fairly low volume sales. If they are being sold, as the article says, whoever purchases them likely wants them because they have licenses for both Marvel and Star Wars.

    This likely means a new SW rpg system in the next five years, though.

    Not doing anything with the license doesn't automatically mean the license rights don't go away.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    FFG has been doing really good work with their Genesys system and all its variants.

    Literally the only reason why it's being ended is because the capitalist vultures on top feel they could be making more money making CCGs or miniature games instead of RPG books.

    ...Fuck, we never got an Android setting book for Genesys, did we?

    Is there a source on that? Not saying you're wrong but I've been under the impression that Star Wars and Genesys have been fairly low volume sales. If they are being sold, as the article says, whoever purchases them likely wants them because they have licenses for both Marvel and Star Wars.

    This likely means a new SW rpg system in the next five years, though.

    Not doing anything with the license doesn't automatically mean the license rights don't go away.

    My interpretation of history, vis-a-vis star wars RPGs, is that they're fairly flash in the pan systems. EotE was less so due to actually having a novel gameplay mechanic that worked, but I've seen very little movement/buzz on it for a while. Whoever gets the license will likely be able to make a decent chunk of change with a new edition with new proprietary dice.

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    edited February 20
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    FFG has been doing really good work with their Genesys system and all its variants.

    Literally the only reason why it's being ended is because the capitalist vultures on top feel they could be making more money making CCGs or miniature games instead of RPG books.

    ...Fuck, we never got an Android setting book for Genesys, did we?

    Is there a source on that? Not saying you're wrong but I've been under the impression that Star Wars and Genesys have been fairly low volume sales. If they are being sold, as the article says, whoever purchases them likely wants them because they have licenses for both Marvel and Star Wars.

    This likely means a new SW rpg system in the next five years, though.

    Not doing anything with the license doesn't automatically mean the license rights don't go away.

    My interpretation of history, vis-a-vis star wars RPGs, is that they're fairly flash in the pan systems. EotE was less so due to actually having a novel gameplay mechanic that worked, but I've seen very little movement/buzz on it for a while. Whoever gets the license will likely be able to make a decent chunk of change with a new edition with new proprietary dice.

    They're going to have to really work hard to do better than the Genesys system. It isn't perfect but it's by far the best Star Wars has ever played, mechanically speaking, and having Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force & Destiny being different intercompatible lines meant that each of the "three pillars" of Star Wars roleplaying (smuggler/bounty hunter; Rebels; Jedi) got way more love and attention than they would have gotten in a single sourcebook, and allow players and gamemasters to run a campaign focusing on as many or few of those aspects as they would like.

    If whatever the next system is has just a single main book, then look forward to having players who insist on playing a Jedi regardless of what everyone else wants to do.

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    Jacobkosh
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited February 20
    It is a shame to hear about FFG. I loved EotE, and I have Genesys. Not sure about their L5R, I haven't seen much on it since the early beta test stuff and though it was interesting, I'm still in love with the original L5R system (and still have 3E and 4E books).

    Speaking on Genesys, though, my friends and I are going to have a session 0 for a Genesys campaign that's going to be run by a friend of mine. One day while we were hanging out, he asked how interested we would be in an RPG campaign based (loosely) on professional wrestling. And not, like, modern day, but a DnDesque world where there's organized fighting in the vein of professional wrestling. We were intrigued and were just spit balling ideas for fantasy pro wrestlers, and now we're going to be playing a homebrew Genesys campaign where we're fantasy adventurer types who, for whatever reason, have taken up with an organized flighting league that puts on matches for entertainment. We'll still have 'real' adventures at times, but the staged matches will be a big part of the game.

    I'm not really into pro wrestling in real life, but it's been pretty fun so far coming up with our characters, and my buddy seems really excited about it so that gets me prettyhyped.

    Zomro on
    crimsoncoyoteKadokenKen Owebguy20jdarksunRingo
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Bad Opinion Haver Registered User regular
    The real shame with SWRPG is because their funky license stuff means they can't have PDF's and they run on custom dice it'll be increasingly hard to play them in a legal fashion. That and Star Wars is the kind of stupidly broad setting that they could pretty consistently just keep pumping content for weird settings in it out and I'd be content (see also Infinity).

    Genesys and L5R at least can be purchased on drivethru and stand on their own reasonably well.

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, with the FFG Star Wars news, does this mean that they're stopping printing on existing books, or just stopping development on future books?
    If they're stopping printing on the current books, any suggestions as to what ones would be considered necessary to run the game, as opposed to just nice to have?

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    So, with the FFG Star Wars news, does this mean that they're stopping printing on existing books, or just stopping development on future books?
    If they're stopping printing on the current books, any suggestions as to what ones would be considered necessary to run the game, as opposed to just nice to have?

    Probably will still reprint as long as it sells and they have the license. That's relatively cheap compared to developing a new book.

    I don't think anything is "essential" beyond one of the core books, or all three if you have interest in all the lines (Edge of the Empire for smugglers/bounty hunters/outer rim types; Age of Rebellion for the military; Force & Destiny for force users). A lot of the class specialization books do have expanded rules so I'd put them next on the list.

  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The real shame with SWRPG is because their funky license stuff means they can't have PDF's and they run on custom dice it'll be increasingly hard to play them in a legal fashion. That and Star Wars is the kind of stupidly broad setting that they could pretty consistently just keep pumping content for weird settings in it out and I'd be content (see also Infinity).

    Genesys and L5R at least can be purchased on drivethru and stand on their own reasonably well.

    All the genesys dice translate to regular 7 dice sets, so there will always be dice to play with. I am going to pick up a few sets of Star Wars dice though, as that's the next campaign setting I'm running!

    I wonder if we'll see a humble bundle of all all the non-Star Wars Genesys system books, they are all on PDF already.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    Now dont get me wrong, I love dice but for SW EotE my group always used the iPad app.

  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I have 4 sets of dice for in person games, so thankfully I'm good there. Currently my game is online so I use the wonderful dice.skyjedi.com site. It tracks destiny points, strain, wounds, etc and works as a dice roller. I can't recommend it enough.

    Speaking of Star Wars games. I need a good name for a Star Destroyer that hasn't already been used in canon. This one is the personal ship of the General running the military forces in the sector so I need something catchy.

    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Now dont get me wrong, I love dice but for SW EotE my group always used the iPad app.

    The few times I have played as well, I've used a free android dice rolling app, appropriately titled "RPG Dice Roller". Works great.

    Lind
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    Speaking of Star Wars games. I need a good name for a Star Destroyer that hasn't already been used in canon. This one is the personal ship of the General running the military forces in the sector so I need something catchy.

    Ace of Space

  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Barney's Revenge (who Barney is TBD)

    The Enterprise

    Destroy Story

    All About That Base (No Rebels)

    SleepElvenshaecrimsoncoyotezekebeau
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    Ken O wrote: »
    I have 4 sets of dice for in person games, so thankfully I'm good there. Currently my game is online so I use the wonderful dice.skyjedi.com site. It tracks destiny points, strain, wounds, etc and works as a dice roller. I can't recommend it enough.

    Speaking of Star Wars games. I need a good name for a Star Destroyer that hasn't already been used in canon. This one is the personal ship of the General running the military forces in the sector so I need something catchy.

    What kind of general is he? Imperial to the core? Trying to do good but working on the wrong side? Rebel defector waiting for half a chance? Rotten bastard who murdered his way to his post? Happily on the take from local crime bosses to line his own pockets?

    Seems like you could use his ship name to inform his character to the players a bit.
    Any way, I don't think Vermithrax Pejorative has been used as the name of a destroyer, and should be.

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    A general who prides himself on the pristine, undamaged nature of his Star Destroyer, The Mint Imperial

    Ken Owebguy20
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Ken O wrote: »
    I have 4 sets of dice for in person games, so thankfully I'm good there. Currently my game is online so I use the wonderful dice.skyjedi.com site. It tracks destiny points, strain, wounds, etc and works as a dice roller. I can't recommend it enough.

    Speaking of Star Wars games. I need a good name for a Star Destroyer that hasn't already been used in canon. This one is the personal ship of the General running the military forces in the sector so I need something catchy.

    What kind of general is he? Imperial to the core? Trying to do good but working on the wrong side? Rebel defector waiting for half a chance? Rotten bastard who murdered his way to his post? Happily on the take from local crime bosses to line his own pockets?

    Seems like you could use his ship name to inform his character to the players a bit.
    Any way, I don't think Vermithrax Pejorative has been used as the name of a destroyer, and should be.

    Good points. Let me fill in the background. Dawn of the Rebellion era. Most everything is going to be contained to one Sector of space that I've created.

    There are three primary bad guys the Moff over the sector, the General assigned to the Moff, and a corrupt ISB agent. The General and the Moff are both loyal to the Empire but have their own agendas.

    The Moff is paranoid about the Rebellion and is working with a disguised Inquisitor who is trying to infiltrate the Rebel forces in the area. At this point my group has only started hearing rumors that a Jedi is operating in the area. The Moff also has a Imperial Captain assigned to him for his errands.

    The General is more about amassing more military fame and power. Likes to appear cultured and refined, this appearance cracks easily when he is embarrassed or outmatched. He is currently overseeing a new type of laser that cuts through shields. The hidden power source of these weapons are the indigenous lizard creatures living on one of the worlds in the sector. The project wires them up in tiny bacta-like tanks and uses them to power vehicle scale weapons. Eventually the group will find the creatures are intelligent and able to communicate telepathically but that is a long, long way off.

    5 sessions in and the group hasn't really run into any of this yet, just some local Imperial issues and a small run in with the Moff's right hand man.

    That was way more then I meant to type out at first, sorry if it is too much info.

    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    Ken O wrote: »
    The General is more about amassing more military fame and power. Likes to appear cultured and refined, this appearance cracks easily when he is embarrassed or outmatched.

    The bit about his cultured/refined exterior cracking puts me in mind of crystals or mirrors. Maybe name it after a gem stone or a rare/valuable metal?
    Amassing (and, presumably, enjoying) military fame and power, maybe some archaic military weapon to bring the martial nature of the ship and posting to mind?

    Mirror Lance, Gilded Edge, Corusca Spear come to mind, but I've no idea if they've been used already or not.

    Gilded Edge could make for some interesting visual accents to the ship, with the border of the ship painted gold so it stands out from the standard ships of the line.
    But it may also be the name of a space brothel, so...maybe not?

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Ken OcrimsoncoyoteNipsElvenshaeRingo
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Faux-culture can be obtained with a name in a dead language or a mythical reference, but poorly translated or contextualised

    If any of your characters have a knowledge skill that was appropriate, they would be able to spot it

    A real world analogue would be calling a plane Icarus - there's the base level of knowledge that Icarus is from mythology and knew how to fly, but the owner clearly doesn't know the rest of the story

    This probably isn't useful without also coming up with some sector-relevant mythology to appropriate, which might be more work than you want to do for the name of one ship

    see317Ken OEndless_SerpentscrimsoncoyoteNipsElvenshaeRingoPolaritie
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Star Destroyers tend to have one word names. Some are named after mythological creatures ("Chimera", "Gorgon"), but many have names like "Devestator" or "Intrepid".

    I'd go with the find something mythological suggestion, personally.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Call it simply The Perfection, and make it the fifth ship with that name. Perfection’s have an awful reputation for losing battles, way before the Rebellion even got started. No one wants a draft on it because of that, starting a self fulfilling prophecy the general is going crazy holding back.

    Ken ORhesus PositiveTomantaNipsElvenshaeKadoken
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Faux-culture can be obtained with a name in a dead language or a mythical reference, but poorly translated or contextualised

    If any of your characters have a knowledge skill that was appropriate, they would be able to spot it

    A real world analogue would be calling a plane Icarus - there's the base level of knowledge that Icarus is from mythology and knew how to fly, but the owner clearly doesn't know the rest of the story

    This probably isn't useful without also coming up with some sector-relevant mythology to appropriate, which might be more work than you want to do for the name of one ship

    No, that's exactly the kind of over-planning I like to do. Perfect.

    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    Endless_SerpentsRhesus PositivecrimsoncoyoteBouwsTElvenshaeKadoken
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    "Indestructible XXI"

    Rhesus PositiveElvenshaeKadoken
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Irreplaceable V

    ElvenshaeKadoken
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    Arbiter of Gravitas

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    Kadoken
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Sheer Utter Hubris

    GURPS RPG Original Setting Blog https://riddleofflame.blogspot.com/
    Rhesus PositiveRingo
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 23
    The Vigilante game ended last night. They did a big ‘ol defense of their home base against waves of varied enemies and then went into space to finally fight the converted DnD crew. It was awesome. My gnoll monk conversion became a nightmare for two characters, downing one and almost killing the other. Everyone got to use their special techniques and it was down to the wire. They talked to the big bad in his office. He knew he had lost so he was enjoying a final glass of high quality amasec while noting this was one of the few times he actually got to enjoy his work instead of being chained by it. He also freely admitted that had he not overreacted and basically declared death on the vigilantes for something that wasn’t driven by them he wouldn’t have invited his own downfall. He also foreshadowed the fact that without him, outside forces now have free reign on the world. Two characters missed their coup de graces and so he went out his own way.

    I was very happy and we even got to do a nostalgic credits sequence of sorts of going through past maps. I’ll remember the stories we made throughout it all.

    Kadoken on
    GURPS RPG Original Setting Blog https://riddleofflame.blogspot.com/
    Ken OElvenshaeRingoXagar
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    My PolyHero dice sets for Rogue arrived a while back, and I finally opened them up.

    I am in love with the lock-pick d20. It's so much fun to "roll."

    zxzcbx1nggmv.jpg

    They're the "Stout Bronze and Ward White" and the "Cold Iron and Ice White," respectively.

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Endless_SerpentsKen OcrimsoncoyoteSteelhawkwebguy20Rhesus PositiveMostlyjoe13Kadoken
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    How does that work?

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    How does that work?

    It's basically a top with a case; you spin the lockpick, and then when it's slowing down, you "pick the lock" by pushing down on the lockpick, which engages the gear teeth on the bottom, locking your number in-place and putting the number where you can easily see it.

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    DarkPrimuswebguy20KadokenRhesus Positive
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    @Ken O How do you feel about Dawn of Rebellion as a book? I'm a big fan of Rebels, so having some of that stuff could be cool, though I probably wouldn't use the NPCs (I assume it has Inquisitors at least, so maybe I'd use them).

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    @Ken O How do you feel about Dawn of Rebellion as a book? I'm a big fan of Rebels, so having some of that stuff could be cool, though I probably wouldn't use the NPCs (I assume it has Inquisitors at least, so maybe I'd use them).

    It has a whole section to help you generate your own Inquisitors, even!

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    crimsoncoyote
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Speaking of Star Wars, I just picked up Edge of the Empire from the local shop. The last copy! I can't wait to get it to the table.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    crimsoncoyoteElvenshaeLindKen OJacobkoshKadokenjdarksunTheDrifter
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    @Ken O How do you feel about Dawn of Rebellion as a book? I'm a big fan of Rebels, so having some of that stuff could be cool, though I probably wouldn't use the NPCs (I assume it has Inquisitors at least, so maybe I'd use them).

    I don't use established NPCs in my game either, but I still think the Dawn book has good info. The Universal Specs are really fun (Force Adherent, Imperial Academy Cadet, Padawan Survivor, Pirate, Retired Clone, Ship Captain). It has a good selection of weapons, equipment, and vehicles from Rebels (Like the Mining Guild TIEs}.

    I'm pretty biased then, I've enjoyed reading through all of the FFG Star Wars books even when they don't have a lot for me to use in my personal game.

    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    crimsoncoyoteKadoken
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    Beam Saber's Kickstarter is live.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    crimsoncoyoteRingoCheeselikerKadokenNips
Sign In or Register to comment.