As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Amok Rhyme

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Something better to do with 125 hours than watch Voyager?

It would take me that 125 hours to fit everything onto that list

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Something better to do with 125 hours than watch Voyager?

It would take me that 125 hours to fit everything onto that list
    I'm using Borg algorithms to hack this hurtful post

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Oh goody, the space Nazis have kidnapped OBrien for some kind of show trial

That's a slow Tuesday for O'Brien.
    not as slow as the Tuesday in Hard Time

That Tuesday was so slow it felt like 20 years.

sig.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Captain's log: Number 1 suspected of blowing up a space station. Everything cleared up. Also painting is now forbidden on the ship.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Man, DS9 just has it all over the other series as far as recurring villains go. Gowron, Dukat, Kai Winn, Brunt (F... C... A!), The Various Weyouns.

Gowron is the friggin best though. My favorite thing of his is probably from TNG though, where he's giving Kahless shit about his story and he's all WHAT WAS THE MAN'S NAME? HOW TALL WAS HE!? WHAT COLOR WERE HIS EEEYYYEEESSS Ò^Ó
    Gowron has the best crazy eyes in the business. Dude should just have a window installed on the bridge of his flagship so he can glare holes right through the enemy ship.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    shryke wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Re-watched All Good Things:
    Worf "why does everyone always appeal to my sense of Honor?"
    Picard "Because it works EVERY FUCKING TIME!"

This just reminds me that, man, Voyager writers were kinda lame with the naming.

TNG: All Good Things...
    DS9: What You Leave Behind
    Shit, even ENT: These Are The Voyages...

Voyager?
    Endgame

Fucking lame. Most generic uncreative ending title ever.

Random update:
    I've been watching Farscape on amazon prime video.

Finally, I've found the show with the worst episode names in sci-fi.

You couldn't even be the best at this Voyager. Sad.

shryke on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

This just reminds me that, man, Voyager writers were kinda lame with the naming.

Voyager?
    Endgame

Random update:

Originally the names weren't included in the episodes, so they'd have dumb names like "PK Tech Girl" and "DNA Mad Scientist" because nobody outside of production was supposed to see them. When they learned that TV guides were using the episode names they started improving them.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Voyager?
    Endgame

Random update:

Originally the names weren't included in the episodes, so they'd have dumb names like "PK Tech Girl" and "DNA Mad Scientist" because nobody outside of production was supposed to see them. When they learned that TV guides were using the episode names they started improving them.

Oh, is that why?

I was mostly thinking of the later ones and wondering, what you talkin' bout shryke?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I still need to finish Farscape. What a tremendous show

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Farscape is fantastic. I love it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I remember sitting there after (what was at the time) the series finale, just thinking, "... frell."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    I was thinking "man I got real emotional about the puppet characters in Farscape a few times" and then, after consideration, I get super emotional about the Muppets basically any time I watch Muppet related content like I get misty eyed every time I watch Muppet Christmas Carol and I've seen that movie like... A couple hundred times probably.

Those damn Muppets just cut right to the core of me.

• Options
    I like how people refer to the million dollar animatronic puppets as "muppets." :rotate:

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ah, good old Farscape. The show for all your horrific gut-punching needs.

Galaxy got off easy for all the shit it put Crichton through, dunno if I could've been as forgiving.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I like how people refer to the million dollar animatronic puppets as "muppets." :rotate:

They’re Jim Henson Company work.

• Options
    edited September 2019

They’re Jim Henson Company work.

I'm aware. I still think it's silly.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I was thinking "man I got real emotional about the puppet characters in Farscape a few times" and then, after consideration, I get super emotional about the Muppets basically any time I watch Muppet related content like I get misty eyed every time I watch Muppet Christmas Carol and I've seen that movie like... A couple hundred times probably.

Those damn Muppets just cut right to the core of me.

The scene in Bad Timing between Pilot and Rygel where the latter convinces the former to go through with Crichton's plan still sticks in my mind among the best dialogues between two characters in any sci-fi series.

"Would you do it?"
    "No. But I'm not you."

sig.gif
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Farscape is just incredibly good. Anyone who likes scifi should throw out any reservations and just watch it. You'll definitely enjoy it

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    one of these days I need to re-watch Farscape. I was all in for the first two seasons, but after that, I admittedly started to get lost and I remember feeling the need to watch the episodes twice after that because I didn't quite get what was going on so at a certain point I got tired of that. I still watched, but It was kinda just background noise at some point.

• Options

Hey! Rygel and Pilot are PUPPETS. Not MUPPETS.

THE MUPPETS ARE THEIR OWN THING.

Also is Pilot an animatronic I had just assumed he was a really, really good like, two-guys-and-a-suit style large puppet.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Hey remember that time Skeksis were on Farscape?

• Options

I remember watching that episode for the first time with my husband and I immediately went "hey... That's a fuckin Skeksis." And then he asked me what a Skeksis was so I had to pause the episode and show him and he was like "oh yeah totally." Jim Henson Studios makin that production dollar stretch babeyyyy

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Was it an actual Skeksis or just the pmuppet? Because I don’t remember the episode and the Dark Crystal planet wouldn’t be out of place in Farscape.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Also is Pilot an animatronic I had just assumed he was a really, really good like, two-guys-and-a-suit style large puppet.

More like six guys, I think. One of the behind the scenes features showed the back end, and they had massive levers controlling the arms that needed two guys each, and I think another two people operating the face.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Was it an actual Skeksis or just the pmuppet? Because I don’t remember the episode and the Dark Crystal planet wouldn’t be out of place in Farscape.

they basically stuck a pair of wings on a left over Skeksis Muppet they had lying around, but now that it's cannon that Skeksis are from space we can safely assume they're related.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »

More like six guys, I think. One of the behind the scenes features showed the back end, and they had massive levers controlling the arms the needed two guys each, and I think another two people operating the face.

Ahhhh so cool!

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

they basically stuck a pair of wings on a left over Skeksis Muppet they had lying around, but now that it's cannon that Skeksis are from space we can safely assume they're related.

And now I need a scene with the Farscape crew interacting with the Chamberlain. Though I probably already got something close with all the backstabbing aliens that kept showing up on board.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Man I forgot that among the many terrible things Kai Winn did, one was manipulating O'brien's assistant Neela into trying to murder another Vedek. O'brien and Neela were going to bring some sitcom level sexual tension to the next season for sure!

• Options

And now I need a scene with the Farscape crew interacting with the Chamberlain. Though I probably already got something close with all the backstabbing aliens that kept showing up on board.

They did however hang out with one of the biker grannies from Mad Max Furry Road

• Options

Hey! Rygel and Pilot are PUPPETS. Not MUPPETS.

THE MUPPETS ARE THEIR OWN THING.

They all have animitronics to control eyes and stuff that is unfeasible for the puppeteer to be able to control.

I think Pilot took like 7 people to operate, not including Lani Tupu doing the voice off screen.

• Options

They did however hang out with one of the biker grannies from Mad Max Furry Road

Grunchlk (the gross Doctor's assistant/negotiator) was both Toecutter from Mad Max, and Immortan Joe from Fury Road.

Zhaan was also in Road Warrior.

(Both Farscape and the Mad Max series are Austrailian productions, which is why there's a lot of actor crossover)

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Ugh, horny Bashir is the worst. Oh wait, what's this? He created a hyper sexed up Dax out of his imagination and now everyone on the station, including real Dax, gets to watch her throw woo at him, much to his embarrassment? Spicy.

I somehow erased this episode out of my memory entirely. what season was this even?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Ugh, horny Bashir is the worst. Oh wait, what's this? He created a hyper sexed up Dax out of his imagination and now everyone on the station, including real Dax, gets to watch her throw woo at him, much to his embarrassment? Spicy.

I somehow erased this episode out of my memory entirely. what season was this even?

Season 1, episode 19.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    (DS9) Just got to Homefront. Had to check the air date before I could believe this came out before 9/11. There's being relevant to the current political environment, and then there's this episode....

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    (DS9) Just got to Homefront. Had to check the air date before I could believe this came out before 9/11. There's being relevant to the current political environment, and then there's this episode....

It was supposed to air even earlier than that. It was originally supposed to be the S4 finale, but the execs didn’t want a cliffhanger.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dealing with terrorism has been around since forever, so it's not like the episode was being prophetic or anything; there are terrorist events throughout history, and they're going to keep happening into the future. It does, however, have an arc that shows why an irrational response to terrorism is far, far worse than the act of terrorism itself (with the obvious modern case-in-point of the US flipping out over 9/11 with a series of reactions that got a lot more Americans killed than the original attack, plus killed massive numbers more of people uninvolved with the event).

And while it does annoy me that the capital planet of the Federation flips out in no time at all considering it's a society of highly-educated individuals who would absolutely know why they shouldn't flip out, they really didn't have the time to spend multiple seasons chipping away at Federation society to get there. That goes double for the fact that there are nonhumans on Earth and running the Federation, so no way should they flip out in a human way.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I started watching What We Left Behind, but 20-30 minutes in I’m not feeling it. DS9 was my favourite Star Trek, but too much of the documentary feels self-congratulating to me: we were the best, we were the smartest, we were the most progressive, even if people didn’t appreciate our genius at the time. And you, the fans, are equally great for realising it. Am I being too critical? The tone of the filmmaking also rubs me the wrong way, a sort of wistful quirkiness that comes across as oddly smarmy. Does it improve or does the beginning pretty much tell you what you’ll get for the rest of it?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

And while it does annoy me that the capital planet of the Federation flips out in no time at all considering it's a society of highly-educated individuals who would absolutely know why they shouldn't flip out, they really didn't have the time to spend multiple seasons chipping away at Federation society to get there. That goes double for the fact that there are nonhumans on Earth and running the Federation, so no way should they flip out in a human way.

Didn't pay much attention to the US post 9/11 did you? Highly educated societies are generally the most likely to flip out because they generally have a more pacific day to day life. They haven't become inured to day to day violence like less put together cultures.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    The Federation might be more susceptible to panic-driven authoritarianism than modern democracies, given how absurdly powerful Starfleet is an organization. Leyton easily took over the Federation and he wasn't even Starfleet's highest-ranking officer. Then he was only stopped because other Starfleet officer's called foul. Every check and balance, every other law enforcement institution was completely powerless against one guy, his mentee, and a handful of overly-patriotic cadets.
    Dealing with terrorism has been around since forever, so it's not like the episode was being prophetic or anything; there are terrorist events throughout history, and they're going to keep happening into the future. It does, however, have an arc that shows why an irrational response to terrorism is far, far worse than the act of terrorism itself (with the obvious modern case-in-point of the US flipping out over 9/11 with a series of reactions that got a lot more Americans killed than the original attack, plus killed massive numbers more of people uninvolved with the event).

I'm not sure about that last part. Both the Vulcans and the Andorians were authoritarian militarists before founding the Federation, and I'm sure there are other member states just as close to a less enlightened past.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Thirith wrote: »
    I started watching What We Left Behind, but 20-30 minutes in I’m not feeling it. DS9 was my favourite Star Trek, but too much of the documentary feels self-congratulating to me: we were the best, we were the smartest, we were the most progressive, even if people didn’t appreciate our genius at the time. And you, the fans, are equally great for realising it. Am I being too critical? The tone of the filmmaking also rubs me the wrong way, a sort of wistful quirkiness that comes across as oddly smarmy. Does it improve or does the beginning pretty much tell you what you’ll get for the rest of it?

I've only watched the trailer so far, but I got the same sense from even just that. Felt like it would be fun to go down memory lane with the cast and crew, but that one one dude with blue goatee gave me the vanity project vibe - more specifically the self indulgent, bad kind of vanity project. Then I saw he put himself on the cover and was like yeah.....

Dark_Side on
This discussion has been closed.