As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Amok Rhyme

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Although Data looks kinda fucked up. Seven of Nine looks amazing, though.

The eyes and face I can deal with. But the hairline is completely wrong.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    My Picard prediction: he's scripted to die at the end, but the show will be successful enough that some suit will overrule them because they want a season 2.
    I

y601vll2elvu.jpg

Remember

When they did that before

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Soooo... Star Trek, but without the Federation at all plus a big steaming pile of overwrought "we must save everything and it's down to just us!"

Well, I can hope they use the season to do something productive, like ditching the Kelvinverse reboot and putting the original timeline back in place.

The original timeline never went anywhere! The Kelvinverse was always a separate universe. All the people involved with Star Trek 2009 bent over backwards in interviews and press kits etc to make this clear. Idk why this has so consistently cooked the noodles of ostensible sci-fi fans, of all people.
    My Picard prediction: he's scripted to die at the end, but the show will be successful enough that some suit will overrule them because they want a season 2.

they've already said it's intended to be a multi-season show

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Soooo... Star Trek, but without the Federation at all plus a big steaming pile of overwrought "we must save everything and it's down to just us!"

Well, I can hope they use the season to do something productive, like ditching the Kelvinverse reboot and putting the original timeline back in place.

The original timeline never went anywhere! The Kelvinverse was always a separate universe. All the people involved with Star Trek 2009 bent over backwards in interviews and press kits etc to make this clear. Idk why this has so consistently cooked the noodles of ostensible sci-fi fans, of all people.

It's not the OT unless everyone's wearing beige and blue turtlenecks, the ship's registry is in 1960s USN/USAF typeface, and the sets are visibly built from lumber and cardboard. :wink:

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

I kinda figured the original plan was to name the ship "The Picard" and his crew would honor his memory but running about the galaxy, doing good and whatnot.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

I imagine they will keep Stewart around for as long as he wants to play the role while being pragmatic about preparing for his exit.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    If they kill off Picard at the end of season one, if they want to bring him back, there’s always the Mirror Universe version

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Unless Stewart himself passes, I can't imagine being too interested in a later season if they kill him off in season 1. I think at this stage I'm kind of.... 'done' with storylines that use "kill off the elderly"/"out with the old" as a plot trigger that spurs the young buck stars to "fulfill their destiny"/"carry on their spirit".

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    why is there an elf with a katana?

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

The true undiscovered country

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Looked like some Trill in the Discovery preview. I wonder if Dax will show up?

That would be a great move. Bringing back Dax is perfect because they’re not tied to an actor and if their personality has changed in the ensuing centuries it would be entirely reasonable.

The suits tell Patrick Stewart he’s not allowed to die

Winky on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    First I looked at the library. No dice.

Then I asked my library to buy it. Unavailable from their vendors, they say. But I could make an inter library request!

Several months later ... It arrived.

kodvecdtqnge.png

I now shall quit everything else I'm reading so I can read this forthwith.

Just thought everyone should know.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I got misty-eyed at Picard and Riker on the bench together

old meaningful friendships 😭😭😭

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Riker's first moment in the trailer is perfect. Frakes is great.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Elves get Proficiency: Elven Thinblade for free when they take a class with Martial Proficiency: All.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

As I may have said before:
    I've already seen this show, back when it was called Andromeda.

Andromeda spent 5 years rebuilding the Commonwealth. Discovery will spend one year rebuilding the Federation, and will figure out time travel to get home at the same time. And they will probably solve a half-dozen other side-plots while they do that, if it's anything like seasons 1 and 2.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

As I may have said before:
    I've already seen this show, back when it was called Andromeda.

Andromeda spent 5 years rebuilding the Commonwealth. Discovery will spend one year rebuilding the Federation, and will figure out time travel to get home at the same time. And they will probably solve a half-dozen other side-plots while they do that, if it's anything like seasons 1 and 2.

I'm not sure that's the play here. I wouldn't be shocked if they went that route, but even odds that they stay in 3187 for the rest of the series. That keeps their story options wide open instead of being a countdown to Kirk et. al. or, worse, feeling the need to make TOS characters always important—my biggest prequel pet peeve.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Twitter video is fucking awful, here's a youtube version that seems to be official and thus openly accessible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FySrgrKJguE

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I believe the sword boy in the Picard trailer is part Romulan, if I remember an early interview correctly.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I don’t know what you folks are talking about Data and B4 are looking great:

i3ylpyd6oaec.jpeg

wandering on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Data seems to be a prophet in Picard's dreams.

Picard seems to be a fitting swan song to STNG.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Riker's first moment in the trailer is perfect. Frakes is great.

Good work on the trailer editors for foreshadowing that moment subconsciously by having Picard's pet named Number One.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Look what the internet has wrought:
    3x48vop60uq31.jpg

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    So...Patrick Stewart with a beard and hair makes for a great Abe Lincoln? Good to know.

• Options
    I just finished the newest Christopher Bennett TOS book, "The Captain's Oath." He's my favorite Trek author, mainly for doing the impossible and making me like the Enterprise characters.

The book weaves between Kirk's first real mission on the Enterprise and his time as captain of the U.S.S. Sacagawea. At first, I was worried this would cause a lack of focus, but it gave the book a cool anthology feel. It's billed as "how Captain Kirk became a Great Man™," but it's a lot better than that implies. The new characters are well-drawn, and the individual segments would be solid episodes in any Trek.

There's also a strong effort to add diversity to TOS. LBGT and non-white characters appear throughout the story, and there's a frank conversation about human privilege in Starfleet. It's a lot closer to the way Discovery showed Stamets and Culber's relationship than Beyond having Sulu hug a dude and never mentioning it again. This is in keeping with Bennett's work in The Rise of the Federation series.

My only real criticism is that it jumps between the Sacagawea and Enteprise plots too often. Cliffhangers are tempting, but the change in pace was jarring more than once.

What's interesting is that the book doesn't acknowledge Discovery at all. It's especially noticeable since the first act takes place at a hotspot on the Federation-Klingon border.

Overall, definite recommend.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Really, Picard is a fitting swan song to all of 2nd generation Star Trek.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Canada Workings Links:
    https://youtu.be/LPoGrTmO_nM

https://youtu.be/HL75RDIBO3E

Also @So It Goes that's a great book and I highly recommend the entirety of the DS9 Relaunch book series

The%2BAlmighty%2BStar%2BTrek%2BLit-verse%2BReading%2BOrder%2BFlow%2BChart%2BMark%2BV.png

You've got a lot of catching up to do. (most books on this chart are great btw)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    earth/humans were beaten in a war and not allowed to leave their planet, people went back to the good ol days of farming. secret starfleet plans to rebuild the might of humanity and take over everything. hybrid person has the key to saving humanity, beating the people trying to stop the good humans, and also the elves are going west.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

The true undiscovered country

Is Rivendell?

:so_raven:
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I want to be excited for Picard, I really do. But, while the quiet moments are really nice they then show Picard trying to fence with a comically large sword and I just end up flashing back to Nemesis where they added an entire buggy sequence just cause Stewart wanted to be an action hero and my brain just goes "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I want to be excited for Picard, I really do. But, while the quiet moments are really nice they then show Picard trying to fence with a comically large sword and I just end up flashing back to Nemesis where they added an entire buggy sequence just cause Stewart wanted to be an action hero and my brain just goes "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

That's fair. My biggest worry for the series is that it'll become "old man yells at clouds" for three seasons before everyone gets bored. But I've been pleasantly surprised before, so we'll see.

The advantage of Trek is that long-running, culturally-penetrative IPs don't die, they just go dormant. Just as there is always another Sherlock Holmes adaptation on the horizon, eventually someone somewhere will make Trek. And some of that Trek will be good.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I trust in Sir Patrick Stewart and so, I trust in Picard.

Stewart doesn't have to do dick with his career. If he just wanted to chill out in England rehabilitating troubled dogs and building a fucking hardware store in his backyard there is absolutely nothing stopping him. The fact he is doing this, along with Frakes, Spiner, and Ryan (all of whom have really no reason to come back either) fills me with joy.

Is this likely a soulless corporation cash grab to shore up an otherwise lackluster streaming app? Probably! But I'm going to check my cynicism at the door and hope for some five minute long monologues on the nature of man and the heroism of the human spirit.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    fYsOtin.png?1

yAtmehs.png

hyrW0Sb.png

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The Youtube algorithm started showing Picard clips ever since I watched those trailers. As far as I'm concerned you would be hard-pressed to find something that distills the essence of TNG as much as a series of Picard clips.

The ethics of time travel:
    Diplomatic negotiations:
    A life lesson:
    "Masquerading as a god" (Part 1):
    Who Watches the Watchers (Part 2):
    A paranoid society:
    And a greatest hits album:

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I think bringing kids movies into this is a low blow. I doubt Stewart cared about those characters.

Nemesis is another animal entirely, of course, so you have a point on that one I guess. I still trust Stewart, though.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    "Nemesis is going to be so incredibly bad that I want to have a silly action sequence to enjoy myself" is my headcanon.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Oh god, I can't unsee the fact that it's not Patrick Stewart's hands playing the flute and it's killing this scene for me. What's supposed to look like Picard's bemusement over playing an improvised bit of music with another person becomes Stewart's perplexed look as he's asked to blow into a flute being played by a man laying in front of him.

EDIT: And that's definitely a matte painting of a jeffery's tube on the wall there.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Although Data looks kinda fucked up. Seven of Nine looks amazing, though.
    wandering wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    fYsOtin.png?1

yAtmehs.png

hyrW0Sb.png

I watched the emoji movie and I was entertained! I watched it with a bunch of relatives and their kids, though..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Not all of his kids movies are terrible.

2c9mo7vopkzj.png

This one actually is not all that bad. It's very much in the spirit of 80s kids movies.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »

That's fair. My biggest worry for the series is that it'll become "old man yells at clouds" for three seasons before everyone gets bored. But I've been pleasantly surprised before, so we'll see.

The advantage of Trek is that long-running, culturally-penetrative IPs don't die, they just go dormant. Just as there is always another Sherlock Holmes adaptation on the horizon, eventually someone somewhere will make Trek. And some of that Trek will be good.

“Old man yells at stars”

This discussion has been closed.