As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Amok Rhyme

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I will never watch voyager

I’ve read too much about it here

You will one day.
    It's like hearing about how Switch cartridges are specially made to taste foul. It's like, why would you even try to taste them? How bad can it possibly be?

Oh.

Except Voyager isn't that bad, it's mostly the pain of missed opportunities.

Then you figure that since that wasn't nearly as bad as you'd been led to believe, you may as well try Enterprise...

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    IMO, every single episode of every single Star Trek series up to and including STD is worth watching. You may not like all of it and it may not all be very good, but it's still worth watching.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    IMO, every single episode of every single Star Trek series up to and including STD is worth watching. You may not like all of it and it may not all be very good, but it's still worth watching.

I want to agree with you so bad, but

Spock's Brain, Code of Honor, Profit and Lace, Threshold, A Night in Sickbay

No.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Are you kidding?

Comedic masterpieces, the lot of them.

...well, maybe not Code of Honor.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    What was the Enterprise episode that completely bungled the idea of religious radicalism in a really offensive way? I remember it being during the start of the Xindi season, and it basically boiled the schism down to something stupid like the color of clothing or facial markings or whatever. Which was really quite a take not so long after 9-11.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I hold that you have to take the good with the bad. But that's just me. I like the Discovery characters, but I can't stand Discovery's premise, at all. Especially after they ripped off the idea from that guy's tartigrades game. I'm cautiously optimistic about Picard and it will be good to see the old characters again, but I'm still worried the show is going to be a shitshow. ...still going to watch it though.

• Options
    Mancingtom wrote: »

No.

Even the most problematic episodes are still worth watching. They are a microcosm of popular culture of their era. You shouldn't ignore something just because it makes you uncomfortable. The fact that one of the most progressive TV shows to ever hit airwaves still has identifiable areas for improvement means we've come a long ways and have generally improved as a society. Even with all the regressive elements holding us back we're still making progress.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    What was the Enterprise episode that completely bungled the idea of religious radicalism in a really offensive way? I remember it being during the start of the Xindi season, and it basically boiled the schism down to something stupid like the color of clothing or facial markings or whatever. Which was really quite a take not so long after 9-11.

To be fair, Babylon 5 did something similar with the whole "green/purple" thing. A lot of SF does.
    Mostly because to nerds*, a lot of -ism just looks stupid, over stupid petty little things, and tends to get portrayed/ridiculed as such. "This? This is what you're fighting about?"
    And then, of course, we proceed to get passionately involved in our own arguments over the stupidest and pettiest things... but that's totally different, really.

* privileged white ones, at least.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't judge people based on their religion or skin colour, but how they rank the Star Wars movies.
    What do you mean, you thought Solo was okay? You heretic.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    yeah everyone know's picard's favorite is the last jedi and he doesn't stop giving wesley shit for liking attack of the clones

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't judge people based on their religion or skin colour, but how they rank the Star Wars movies.
    What do you mean, you thought Solo was okay? You heretic.

I will defend Solo to my dying breath. It wasn't a perfect movie by any stretch of the imagination but it was perfectly serviceable. It was a good film and Ecart did a good job as Han Solo. I only wish it didn't come so hot on the heels of such a controversial (though I would argue still great) film as The Last Jedi. If they'd swapped Solo and Rogue One in the spinoff lineup, I think it would have gone over a lot better. Even with Han dying in EP7.

• Options
    edited October 2019

No.

Even the most problematic episodes are still worth watching. They are a microcosm of popular culture of their era. You shouldn't ignore something just because it makes you uncomfortable. The fact that one of the most progressive TV shows to ever hit airwaves still has identifiable areas for improvement means we've come a long ways and have generally improved as a society. Even with all the regressive elements holding us back we're still making progress.

True for the likes of "Code of Honor", I guess; but my urge to not watch "Spock's Brain" or "Threshold" (again) isn't because they're problematic, but because they're dumb and bad.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

No.

Let He Who is without Sin...

/checkmate

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

No.

Let He Who is without Sin...

/checkmate

Well, I'm not prepared to tell you who I've decided Keith Richards is playing in Picard just yet.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    ENT's "These Are the Voyages..." is hands down the worst star trek episode period...worse than Threshold...fight me. Or at the very least, the worst finale.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    TATV is allowed to take the spot as worst episode of all time because of the context.

• Options
    That was the last episode of Trek for 12 years. How depressing is that?

There's a universe somewhere that got a Sulu series and a Worf series.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    TATV is allowed to take the spot as worst episode of all time because of the context.

It taints The Pegasus, a far better TNG episode, due to it.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    I prefer to think of the Riker sections as him having a particularly bad trip off whatever they smoke on Risa.

One of the most stressful moments of his life paired with what had to be a particularly mind-numbing section of history class. I imagine he woke up screaming loud enough that Worf grabbed his bat'leth.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Regarding transport credits, I'd assume it's more of an academy thing to keep cadets from going home every second like Sisko insinuates.

Essentially like a day pass for an active duty US military cadet.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, people say DS9's first season was weak, but so far it's been pretty great compared to S1 of TNG.

• Options
    PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular

To be fair, Babylon 5 did something similar with the whole "green/purple" thing. A lot of SF does.
    Mostly because to nerds*, a lot of -ism just looks stupid, over stupid petty little things, and tends to get portrayed/ridiculed as such. "This? This is what you're fighting about?"
    And then, of course, we proceed to get passionately involved in our own arguments over the stupidest and pettiest things... but that's totally different, really.

The Great Maker twitted about this just recently.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    For double-irony, the Drazi color thing looks stupid at first glance ("they're just fighting over colors? How dumb is that?"), but the system rids them of internal warfare and has limits to prevent loss of life. And when the conflict is over, it's over. It's a random selection, so no blood feuds between opposing sides because there are no sides after the fight plays out.

So it's actually the humans doing things the dumb way, because the humans regularly fight each other and go all-fucking-out in civil wars, throwing the rules out the window because they're just so right that they can't be bothered with petty "rules".

The humans might laugh at the Drazi color fight, but the Drazi probably think it's too sad to laugh when Earth is being rebuilt for the third or fourth time because humans won't stop blowing themselves up because they don't do the color fight.

• Options
    Sometimes you just don't want to be subtle when you're hammering a point home.
    These aliens hate each other because that one is white on his left side and the other is white on his right side? What an absurd reason to fight oh wait a sec.

• Options
    NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. I think the original O'Brien died in the time travel episode.

Much like how Harry Kim is a quantum duplicate and the original is drifting in space.
    like an entire season of Voyager is all of their duplicates and then they all die the end no moral
    You mean one episode, and it was a good episode.

No, I seriously mean an entire season of Voyager.

S4.E24: Demon: Voyager sets down on a "Demon-class" planet where Harry Kim and Tom Paris are duplicated by a sentient slime made out of deuterium (which they presumably also just use in their engines I guess?) and at the end of the episode the entire crew agrees to be duplicated so that the slime can live a more fulfilling life.

S5.E17: Course: Oblivion: Voyager undergoes mysterious malfunctions and diseases, culminating in their attempted return to the original planet, but unfortunately the ship just dissolves in space before they can make it. The "real" voyager happens upon the scene after they're all dead.

It's left ambiguous whether the intervening episodes were with the duplicate crew or the "real" crew, but I feel like they make nods to the events depicted between the two episodes in S5.E17, like To'llana's relationship status matches what had been happening in S5 so far, etc.

Haha, is this a real thing? Or just a creative interpretation of a run of episodes?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Polaris wrote: »

But, green isn't a primary color...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    maybe they meant like roy g. biv or something, not red/yellow/blue?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It's clearly Drazi Green, for they lack the individual yellow and blue photoreceptors and so any combination of the two comes out as a primary color for them.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Polaris wrote: »

But, green isn't a primary color...

Of light. RGB, Red Green Blue.
    Pigments swap green (which is yellow + blue) out for yellow. But in light, yellow is made by combining red and green.

• Options
    Clearly, we need to have a fight about this based on the interpretation of color we select.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Clearly, we need to have a fight about this based on the interpretation of color we select.

oh yeah? Well purple isn't even a colour.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I watched Paradise, which was a pretty legit episode. Definitely gave an “oh shit” when Sisko got back in the box. It gave the crazy cult leader lady a fairer shake in the end than I expected, with everyone choosing to stay and leaving it ambiguous as to whether they were simply brainwashed or saw fundamental value in what she offered them, which I appreciated as an aspiring crazy cult leader.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Sisko getting back in the box was an homage to Bridge on the River Kwai.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I just watched the episode where quark cheats the gamma quadrant aliens so they suck the senior staff into a mystical death game and then in the end there was no real point to any of it and people are like explain this and the aliens are like bye so I guess that was a way to kill an hour

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I just watched the episode where quark cheats the gamma quadrant aliens so they suck the senior staff into a mystical death game and then in the end there was no real point to any of it and people are like explain this and the aliens are like bye so I guess that was a way to kill an hour

It gets better!

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Me, I love the way that ep subverts the typical trope.
    It isn't actually a death game, and the aliens are like "uh, no? that would be crazy and/or stupid."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Me, I love the way that ep subverts the typical trope.
    It isn't actually a death game, and the aliens are like "uh, no? that would be crazy and/or stupid."

Iz only game. Y u heff to be mad?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »
    I watched Paradise, which was a pretty legit episode. Definitely gave an “oh shit” when Sisko got back in the box. It gave the crazy cult leader lady a fairer shake in the end than I expected, with everyone choosing to stay and leaving it ambiguous as to whether they were simply brainwashed or saw fundamental value in what she offered them, which I appreciated as an aspiring crazy cult leader.

That ending kind of pissed me off. You're telling me not one person had a problem with that lady lying to them for years, stranding them in the wilderness and directly getting a bunch of them killed?

You're telling that the Starfleet found out that someone had kidnapped Federation citizens, murdered several of them or got them killed through criminal disregard, and kidnapped/attempted to murder Starfleet officers...and didn't immediately task a ship to arrest the leader and put the rest into counseling?

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

That ending kind of pissed me off. You're telling me not one person had a problem with that lady lying to them for years, stranding them in the wilderness and directly getting a bunch of them killed?

You're telling that the Starfleet found out that someone had kidnapped Federation citizens, murdered several of them or got them killed through criminal disregard, and kidnapped/attempted to murder Starfleet officers...and didn't immediately task a ship to arrest the leader and put the rest into counseling?

They did end it by arresting her and her son, though.

I did find it unrealistic that not a single other person wanted to leave, but the way the guy says it, it seems like the people were going to talk it over and figure out what to do next. I’m sure a few of them would’ve ended up leaving, but I’m not sure removing any of them from the planet against their will would’ve been the right thing to do.

• Options
    My memory of the episode has gone faulty with time and rage. I guess I wanted her punished more, so my brain slowly corrupted that into "She wasn't punished at all! Aren't I so right all the time forever?"

I don't think it would be right to leave them there.

If the FBI found a bunch of kidnap victims at some compound, it would not be okay to leave them to their own devices as if they had agency when they demonstrably did not.

Did anyone in the episode point out that the Federation is open to alternative lifestyles, so her whole thing was definitely just a power fantasy?

This discussion has been closed.