As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game of Thrones] And Now Our Watch Has Ended [open spoilers]

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The bit about drogon is far more offensive to my sensibilities than ‘they both failed geography’

Like, you rolled your eyes at our extremely obvious symbolism? Haha fuck you, it was actually just a random bit of happenstance that signifies nothing!

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Unlucky
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    https://ew.com/comic-con/2019/07/17/game-of-thrones-showrunners-comic-con/ D&D and Sapochnik cancelled scheduled appearances at Comic Con. Would have been Benioff and Weiss' first public appearance since the final two episodes aired

relevant:
    hrtovnc8s7d1.jpg

also lmao that script

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

ElvenshaeWACriminalOlivawchromdomKaplarMatevcaptainkTransportercj iwakuraDark Raven XknitdanRMS OceanicNiryaSkeithDarth WaiterFencingsaxDyvim Tvarwebguy20BobbleSassori
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    https://ew.com/comic-con/2019/07/17/game-of-thrones-showrunners-comic-con/ D&D and Sapochnik cancelled scheduled appearances at Comic Con. Would have been Benioff and Weiss' first public appearance since the final two episodes aired

relevant:
    hrtovnc8s7d1.jpg

also lmao that script

To be fair, he had a Star Wars costume he really wanted to get started on.

MatevElvenshaeShadowenMunkus BeaverHermanoFencingsaxDyvim TvarBobbleSassori
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Watching through it again...there's a white horse every time theres a major killing.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    wouldn't west of Westeros just be what they said was beyond the sea of black grass or whatever to the far east?

what is the planet shaped like

People have also never cross the shadowlands beyond Asshai

Technically, possibly true, at least according to anyone from westeros, it's possible that people in Asshai routinely travel that way but stories of it never made it to Westeros. But regardless by all appearances people have travelled further east, north of the shadowlands.

WorldofIceandFire.png

The shadowlands don't go that far north in far eastern Essos.

Psykoma on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The World of Ice and Fire has some cool stuff about the more distant lands but even that kinda peters out and goes "man we don't really know" when you get around the Shadowlands

PsykomaShadowenBlankZoeRMS OceanicSkeithElvenshaeSolarcaptainkLadaiRomanian My EscutcheonMortal SkyFencingsaxMetzger MeisterShorty
    edited August 2019
    It makes sense that they peter out considering the World of Ice and Fire is written from the perspective of an in-universe Maester, but I just want more, always more.

Like, looking at that map, Qarth is the furthest east the series ever goes, and that small tip of Sothoryos at the bottom? There have been some ships who attempted to map it's entire coastline, and none succeeded, none even managed to find the bottom of it. One Valyrian princess tried flying her dragon south across Sothoryos for three years there and back and never found the southern edge. Some records would seem to indicate that Sothoryos is bigger compared to Essos as Africa is to Europe.

There's just so much room for interesting stories in this world, and for other authors to create stories which would never even need to touch on westeros or the nine free cities.

Psykoma on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'm upset Tyrion never offered to take anyone to Bonetown.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Dee KaeschussShorty
    That's probably where whores go

Munkus BeaverShadowenElvenshaeKruiteMulysaSemproniusEvilCakeFencingsaxBobble
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The further east you go, the more Lovecraft references.

RMS OceanicSolarOlivawFencingsaxMatev
    I think he manages to describe a lot of those areas in terms that are very spooky without just being Lovecraft

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    CB means they are literal Lovecraft references.
    https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/124235-lovecraft-references/

CelestialBadgerFencingsax
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Plus all that greasy black stone everywhere. GRRM not afraid to Lovecraft it up.

I actually respect the commitment not to flesh out everything. "Ulthos has jungle". That's all you get.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    At least they aren't ALL football references... :P

ElvenshaeFencingsaxBobble
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I certainly assume Leng is a pretty chill and fun part of the planet

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Solar
    edited August 2019
    I like that a man who obviously enjoys his food named a region “The Thousand Islands.”

Honestly that map is sillier than the one in Diana Wynne Jones “Tough Guide to Fantasyland.”

CelestialBadger on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    The Thousand Islands is also an area in Canada (and the 'States) on the St. Lawrence Seaway, and is where the salad dressing gets its' name.
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Technically, possibly true, at least according to anyone from westeros, it's possible that people in Asshai routinely travel that way but stories of it never made it to Westeros. But regardless by all appearances people have travelled further east, north of the shadowlands.

In Fire & Blood it notes that on one of the Sea Snake's Nine Great Voyages he got as far as Asshai, and there he saw a ship that he was pretty sure was Sun Chaser (Elissa Farman's Braavosi ship, which she set out west from Oldtown in, and which was paid for by three stolen dragon eggs which might have ended up being the ones gifted to Dany).

SkeithPsykomaShadowen
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I think he manages to describe a lot of those areas in terms that are very spooky without just being Lovecraft

True but like, Leng and Carcosa are just thrown in (although Carcosa is a reference that Lovecraft made himself)

I guess that they're more in there for fun that any kind of real suggestion that the world is supposed to tie in. Although if there is such a thing as Gods in the setting, they definitely seem to be weird cosmic forces whose power can be bargained for with dark and twisted knowledge

And K'Dath (Kadath as in Lovecraft's "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath")

New crazy fan theory: the world of Westeros is actually in the Dreamlands and is a Cthulhu mythos story. The Drowned God is Cthulhu.

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Asshai?
    ihfmwlbqes4j.png

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

I am tired, but also ready for The Discourse to continue, though I am somewhat sorry that Lindsay Ellis must continue to suffer for said discourse.

[IMG][/img]
    PsykomaOlivawBobble
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The best and most comprehensive takedown of the issues I've had with the writing on the show for several seasons.

In retrospect I'm glad that the ending was so bad because it has finally forced people to acknowledge that shit was going off the rails for a while. Maybe this is a case where, in the long run, abject failure has more value than mere adequacy.

ElvenshaeSweeney TomDee Kae
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    wouldn't west of Westeros just be what they said was beyond the sea of black grass or whatever to the far east?

WorldofIceandFire.png

The four cardinal directions: West, East, South, and Ultra

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

WorldofIceandFire.png

The four cardinal directions: West, East, South, and Ultra

It is known.

PsykomaKruiteShadowen
    "Ulthos" might be a reference to the Lovecraftian "Ulthar"

Or to Ultima, Latin for farthest or final

ShadowenSolarSkeith
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Anyway, Norvos is a real place but it's a city not a continent and not even particular far north. I'm guessing that with the Wall and the Land of Always Winter, a North-os would have been overkill.

That Lindsay Ellis is certainly very good at articulating my contempt

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

mrpakuSweeney TomDyvim TvarShadowenDarth WaitershoeboxjeddyPoorochondriacEtiowsaFiendishrabbitMortal SkyRomanian My EscutcheonShortyPreacherOlivawVivixenneStiltsBobble
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Lindsay Ellis has my undying respect for subjecting herself to Discourse and Bad Show, while also putting in a truly delightful stinger at the end of all that extremely good critical examination.

[IMG][/img]
    PsykomaSweeney TomDyvim TvarFCDShadowenshoeboxjeddywebguy20Mortal SkyOlivaw
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    There is a reason she is literally at WorldCon right now because she is nominated for a Hugo Award*. (That reason being she is very good at what she does.)

*The award is not for that video, obvs, but for her duology trilogy on the causes of the Hobbit movies being so awful (which was of particular importance to her because when Fellowship came out she was right at the age that it could, and did, influence her to study film) and the fallout from its production.

Shadowen on
    ElvenshaeUnluckyBobble
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i like that the further east you go the more half-assed the geography gets

like in westeros every little sliver of rock has ten thousand years of associated tragic history and by the time you get to yi ti it's "uh, china i guess"

SolarElvenshaecaptainkMortal SkyZonugalLordSolarMachariusRomanian My Escutcheonwebguy20mrpakuShadowenSkeithCelestialBadgerThorn413OlivawDyvim Tvar
    I will say that her essays on Game of Thrones are like teeth gnashing and severely irritating and cathartic but those essays on the Hobbit movies are just like crushing

ShadowenDyvim Tvar
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The third hobbit video was unquestionably a downer.

Mortal Skywebguy20ShadowenOlivawDyvim Tvar
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I will say that her essays on Game of Thrones are like teeth gnashing and severely irritating and cathartic but those essays on the Hobbit movies are just like crushing

See I found the hobbit videos interesting. This one, other than Jamie's idea of himself, the quick bit on Nixon and the hypocritical presentation of Dany, I didn't really get anything from this video that I didn't already discuss with other people, overall I was pretty disappointed that it went for over an hour for so little, but I guess that is par for the course for game of thrones stuff.

Blake T on
    Gustavmrpaku
    Oh the Hobbit videos are great they just make me feel like dirt

RMS OceanicShadowen
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I kinda wish there was, like, a game of thrones extended universe or something. Almost. The setting is just so wonderful and rich and could be expanded on so beautifully by talented authors. I just love the setting so much and want to know EVERYTHING about it and oh shit I'm part of the problem...

I also want, like, a really good RPG set in the world. I can kinda scratch that itch with mount and blade and crusader Kings mods but eeeeeehhhhhhh.

Edit: OH CRAP DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE'S GOT MODS FOR THE NEWER TOTAL WAR GAMES?

Metzger Meister on
    IIRC the best mod is for Attila: https://www.moddb.com/mods/seven-kingdoms-total-war

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It looks like it's multiplayer only?

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Aw Attila is one of the ones I don't have :(

If it is online only then I'm probably not interested anyway. Playing games online actually stresses me out super bad these days and I cannot explain why.