Options

The [Final Fantasy] Seven Remake is in the wild. Beware spoilers!

19495969798100»

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Jessie was more of a character in the FF7R demo than in the entirety of FF7.

The avalanche crew was criminally underutilized in the original.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    well I wouldn't say CRIMINALLY, they were likeable NPCs who are around and characterized well enough for you get attached to them just in time for them to get killed for effective drama, they don't NEED to be more than that. Having more of them now is nice though.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    UPS has gone from a 14th delivery date to a ???? delivery date. My First Class Edition is apparently in Illinois, some 12 and a half to 13 and a half hours away.

Repeatedly refreshing the tracking page makes it show up faster, right?

There were import fees I didn't know about when I ordered it.

I have spent so much money on this fucking thing.

Send help.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Gonna take a bet on the ending/etc: Purists who wanted a straight 100% straight remake of FF7 with shiny new graphical paint but no story changes/differences might get triggered. People who were excited by the implications of the last trailer are gonna love it.

Lets see if I'm correct in a week.

No room for middle ground? I was fine with revisions to the story, even excited about an all-Midgar chapter and the new combat, but the big story/scenario reveals coming out since the last trailer don't appeal to me as much.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Skipping side quests is often a very good choice in Final Fantasy games.

Like, you do them all when you're doing a completionist run, which is normally only if you're a huge fan and want to revisit a game to see and do everything.

But otherwise it tends to make the game both drag and be disappointingly easy. This is true going at least back to the original FF7, where tasks like getting Aerith's ultimate Limit, beating all the mini-games, Mastering a bunch of stuff, and raising the gold chocobo were not only extremely tedious, but it meant every challenge that followed each of these, including the supreme super-bosses, were inconsequential. The final boss only poses any sort of challenge if you go straight to it once it's available.

This has only gotten worse in more recent games (XII and XIII-2 I'm looking directly at you).

Since this game has NG+ with Hard mode, just do them then if you're into the game enough to give it a second circuit.

Counterpoint: I like getting super powerful and steamrolling shit.

Which is fine, like I've said before having the ability to do that is a tradition for Final Fantasy, but it's also nice for it to be optional. Like grinding (beyond topping up your cash to buy the next tier of equipment & restock essential items whenever you reach a new town) should only be there as a way to dynamically turn down the difficulty.

That's kind of my biggest complaint about FFIX (which I mostly liked a lot). Learning abilities from weapons and armor has too much potential to make a player feel like they need to grind out ability unlocks so they can just throw on their best gear for the next dungeon or boss fight. Espers, Materia, and GFs didn't really have that issue in my experience.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So many iterations of this thread over the years. It'd slowed recently, but I have a feeling the pace may pick up a bit soon :rotate:

New thread: here.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Played for 2 hours straight. I got up to the
    train

I think that’s a good place to stop for tonight. Hey at least I have a 3-day weekend, but I do not know what I’m gonna do to balance this and P5 Royal. It’s going to take me a long time to finish P5R but I don’t want to wait that long to play FF7R. Hmm.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Played for 2 hours straight. I got up to the
    train

I think that’s a good place to stop for tonight. Hey at least I have a 3-day weekend, but I do not know what I’m gonna do to balance this and P5 Royal. It’s going to take me a long time to finish P5R but I don’t want to wait that long to play FF7R. Hmm.

I am in the exact same boat. Save me.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    @Sterica @Echo Could you lock this old thread?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
This discussion has been closed.