As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Final Fantasy] Seven Remake is in the wild. Beware spoilers!

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Javen wrote: »
    The outfit has always been fine

Just don’t give her comically large breasts and there are zero issues

Is this comically large though?

ELd8Q01.png

They even scaled back from that:

dissidia-012-final-fantasy-artwork-tifa_scale_800_700.jpg

People complained this was "too small".

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They balanced out Tifa in Advent Children.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    and what kind of modern conventions they want to see (outfits. give me all of the stupid, goofy outfits that I can freely change)

Can I get Shinra Soldier Red XIII? :)

Absolutely.

We also better get Reporter Yuffie:

yuffie-ffvii-reporter2yjrq.png

FF7 was all kinds of silly.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    and what kind of modern conventions they want to see (outfits. give me all of the stupid, goofy outfits that I can freely change)

Can I get Shinra Soldier Red XIII? :)

Absolutely.

We also better get Reporter Yuffie:

yuffie-ffvii-reporter2yjrq.png

FF7 was all kinds of silly.

FF typically was. FF7 was like when they got to run free with it. Then they stopped with 8 on outside of the diversion of 9.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    latest?cb=20120103150231

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

NSFW?
    390727-ff7_tifa.jpg

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I wonder if Yuffie is going to be part of the core game still or a DLC pack. Play her story, get to use her in your party sort of thing. Wutai was side-content in the main game as well though that was in the days before DLC. And I wouldn't even be having these thoughts if the game wasn't being released episodically. But because it is, they're gonna want to try and trim things up as much as possible. It's practical, from a workload and financial standpoint.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I honestly can't see them doing the whole "secret character" thing with her and Vincent. It adds too many complications and moving parts to an already humongous production.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    I honestly can't see them doing the whole "secret character" thing with her and Vincent. It adds too many complications and moving parts to an already humongous production.

Also, Vincent is actually kind of important to tell the story of the character who is the worst.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Also, Vincent is actually kind of important to tell the story of the character who is the worst.
    That's not very nice to say about Aeris!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I wonder if Yuffie is going to be part of the core game still or a DLC pack. Play her story, get to use her in your party sort of thing. Wutai was side-content in the main game as well though that was in the days before DLC. And I wouldn't even be having these thoughts if the game wasn't being released episodically. But because it is, they're gonna want to try and trim things up as much as possible. It's practical, from a workload and financial standpoint.

That's the opposite of how the episodes will work. Because each one needs to be a releasable product in it's own right, Wutai will be an "everybody has to go and do this" part of the game. Same with Shinra Mansion. You can't make one game into 3+ games by deleting content, that's just nonsense.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Yeah, Yuffie's stuff is relatively superfluous to the main story (but an enjoyable diversion and added some world-building, I wouldn't want them to cut it for anything), but Vincent's stuff actually contains some pretty important things for the main story. I can't see either of them being left as optional characters; they could do that sort of thing when they had four characters to a party and a lot more characters overall, but the group in FF7 ends up pretty lean if don't have those two. There's only nine playable characters as it is and Aeris is a mandatory death, which means a meager six character without the "optional" two.

I could see them holding off on Yuffie until most of the way through the new "part one" of the game and waiting for the second part for Vincent, though. Nibelheim is a fair ways from the beginning of the game.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Speaking of Vincent, they have an opportunity to make his Limit Bursts so much better in the remake. I hope that the transformations don't take away your control of him and have multiple attacks that you can use during them. It would be disappointing, if not unsurprising, if his Limit Bursts made him go into auto pilot and automatically switched your control to another character.

Another thing I would love to see is some form of co-op, whether it be online or couch co-op. Some of my best FF memories were playing FFVI with my brother and setting the control for half of the party to the second player controller so we could both play during battles.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    They'll probably work in Yuffie as the person in Junon Harbor who help out to get up to Junon.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The New Threat mod forces Yuffie in right after the Nibel flashback. Which I like, as I think after that is the absolute earlier you could get her.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    The skirt thing is even a super easy fix while keeping the same look.

Add small compression shorts underneath and put a slit in the side of the skirt.

Just like that you have a martial arts appropriate skirt.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    pst...Berserk is actually the best debuff in FF4 and FF7. Just berserk your dudes and autobattle your way to victory. You can make an argument that Ultima > All in FF6 tho.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    pst...Berserk is actually the best debuff in FF4 and FF7. Just berserk your dudes and autobattle your way to victory. You can make an argument that Ultima > All in FF6 tho.

Ultima + gem box + economizer

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

ELd8Q01.png

Fortunately, a better version of that exists in turn.

4nolyqmka4s0.jpg

It's funny we're still talking about this (not like I have anything to better--I'm just at work), since this is probably close to what she'll look like.

On a side note, the image is constantly mirrored online. I only confirmed it because of the asymmetry in her gloves.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

I ain't got time to sit through Ultima's animation, I'll just Autocrossbow my way through, thanks

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

ELd8Q01.png

4nolyqmka4s0.jpg

It's funny we're still talking about this (not like I have anything to better--I'm just at work), since this is probably close to what she'll look like.

On a side note, the image is constantly mirrored online. I only confirmed it because of the asymmetry in her gloves.

Yeah. Just base the model off the Advent Children version.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular

I ain't got time to sit through Ultima's animation, I'll just Autocrossbow my way through, thanks

Doesn't Autocrossbow have like a low multiplier? Man I forget the fight mechanics.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

ELd8Q01.png

4nolyqmka4s0.jpg

I demand that whale tail....hair...thing.

Whatever it's called. It helps her look less like Rinoa.

• Options
    edited May 2019

ELd8Q01.png

4nolyqmka4s0.jpg

I demand that whale tail....hair...thing.

Whatever it's called. It helps her look less like Rinoa.

Dolphin tail. Because she likes dolphins.

In other news, I'm still playing FFXIV:

I may have made a couple of frivolous purchases along the way.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    Being that this seems to be an all-purpose FF thread, I guess this is as good a place as any to talk about Theatrhythm? I turned my nose up at it for the longest time, seemed pretty cell phone game-y at the outset, but hey, free demos for both games on the eshop to finally see for myself. And damned if it isn't addictive. It's like, I already go back and listen to this music at more regular intervals than I should, I might as well make an excuse for it and play a fun rhythm game at the same time. Def pretty cel phone game-y though and holy hell, they want $40 for a digital download of Curtain Call! Fortunately it's plenty cheap to buy used physical, but it's a shame when it's so well-suited to have pre-loaded for playing on the fly.

Weird thing though, the original seems a lot more difficult than the sequel. Maybe it's the tracking for the sample songs they happened to use, but the timing metrics and penalties for missing seem a lot more severe in the first release as well.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Scores in the original could only go up to 7Mil unless you did something specific. I forget what, but I think it was to remove items/abilities? So you had to be hardcore with it.

Curtain Call lets you equip abilities and items and the score will always climb to 9999999. There's also just a generally better selection of music in CC, not least of which includes DLC for games like LiveALive, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, a couple of the Romancing Saga games, and TWEWY.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    Yeah, figured Curtain Call would be the no-brainer for the song selection. Shame because the tracking for the sample songs, Man With the Machine Gun and Jenova AC, is a lot more satisfying to complete in the former, original game's example. It tries to throw you off with a lot more off-beats and mixing up where you sustain and sweep notes to coincide with the song's flourishes and bridges whereas the latter just puts in chains of 16th notes that are kind of no-brainer once you see what it's doing, the only real point to slip on being how much faster it scrolls.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Theatrhythm is amazing and the best game square has made probably ever. I really want a full rpg with theatrhythm style party setup and encounters.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Theatrhythm is amazing and the best game square has made probably ever. I really want a full rpg with theatrhythm style party setup and encounters.

So long as it has a different art style.

Some people complained about WoFF looking too cute and "Lego", but Theatrhytm's creepy-ass dolls with the thousand yard stare never gelled with me.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I never saw the point of Theatrhythm. There is no interaction with the music like there is in Rock Band or the like. If I want to listen to FF music, the soundtracks are right there.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I never saw the point of Theatrhythm. There is no interaction with the music like there is in Rock Band or the like. If I want to listen to FF music, the soundtracks are right there.

I see the appeal as part of an "FF Playlist" with an easy-to-follow game attached.

But I would much prefer new arrangements, or even better an actual silly story to go with the game, like FF Dancing All Night.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Can you define more what you mean by "interaction"? I've played a few rhythm games where the gameplay actions felt completely divorced from the music. And to be honest the lower difficulty levels did feel like that, but every music game kind of has that problem.. The harder stuff though felt proper involving and fun to play

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Can you define more what you mean by "interaction"? I've played a few rhythm games where the gameplay actions felt completely divorced from the music. And to be honest the lower difficulty levels did feel like that, but every music game kind of has that problem.. The harder stuff though felt proper involving and fun to play

See also: Elite Beat Agents.

Nintendo, give us more EBA!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Honestly, any game that crosses over the FF characters but doesn't make use of their personalities or interactions in any way feels like a big waste of potential imo.

I'm glad Opera Omnia is the closest thing to the FF Crossover RPG I always wanted. Too bad I put off most grind-heavy iOS games, because I really like the bits I've seen here and there, including one where Cid (FFVII) goes nuts finding out that the FFVIII kids beat him to reaching space before he did.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I broke down and bought FF XII: The Zodiac Age for my Switch. Should be here some time next week. I'm so excited. I stopped about halfway through the PS2 vanilla version (I think I had just met the Garif) due to frustrations with how certain things (chests, license board, gambits) worked. Now that essentially all my complaints have been addressed by this version, I have the feeling I'm going to plow right through it.

Seriously, being able to assign jobs to characters, and having those job license boards be specifically geared toward those jobs is just... *chef kiss*.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    I never hit the ball right in the dad flashbacks in FFX.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I beat FFXII when it first came out, but jeez were the animations in that game slow. The speed up options in the remaster are great. I think I pretty much always played combat at at least a little sped up.

never die on
  • Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    I beat FFXII when it first came out, but jeez were the animations in that game slow. The speed up options in the remaster are great. I think I pretty much always played combat at at least a little sped up.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through it on the PS4. Unless theres a highly technical boss battle, I've got it in a permanent state of 2x speed. I have no idea how I suffered through all this travelling originally, but theres a good chance that had a lot to do with why I haven't re-played it sooner.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The game is so much bigger than I remembered. Like how the heck did I have the patience back then to walk all this at normal speed? It's huge!

I'm not sure, as it was a long time ago...but I think it was a game where I said, y'know I don't even care about any sidequest stuff, I'm just doing the story. Or I told myself I'd do sidequests at the end, and then didn't have the patience or desire for that afterward.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Much like the rest of the online fanbase, I've decided to do a full run-through of the original FFVII again, although in fairness I was already planning this prior to the release of the newest trailer since I wanted to try out the Remako background mod.

It does the job and makes the pre-rendered backgrounds look real nice. I've also added the Becuase retranslation that fixes a considerable amount of the broken lines, a menu transparency for dialogue boxes, and an additional mod that spruces up the world map and battle textures.

And as of last night, I was made aware of a new mod for the character models during battle that's quickly making the rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8WVxGZJ7E

As someone who has personally disliked all the previous attempts to spruce up the character models (including any that replace the chibi Popeye-armed field models....seriously, don't do this, it will never look good), this has to be the first mod to actually impress me. Someone finally got the right idea to create character models that reflect the art style of the original instead of going for this extremely ugly "hyper realistic" look others have tried.

Ignore the changed music and sound effects, those are additional mods the user has applied. You can just apply the battle models and still keep the original field models. The only complaint is that only some of the enemies were given the same treatment, so if you don't mind the clash between these nicer character models and original enemy polygons, I highly recommend this one.

This discussion has been closed.