Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

They're still may-koing the [Final Fantasy] Seven Remake. New trailer and demos.

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
edited September 14 in Games and Technology


Ta da! Behold, a glimpse of the FF7 remake! Someday it might come out. PS5 era, maybe PS6. More details in June, maybe? Or whispers of FF16 ever existing?

This is the thread for talking about Square Enix's flagship series, Final Fantasy, originally released in 1987. For a while they decided they didn't like releasing new games, and kept porting old games to new platforms, Something wonderful has happened, and Square Enix released a new mainline Final Fantasy (well kind of).

Final Fantasy XV released on November 29th, 2016. The last time a Final Fantasy was released was three years ago, if you count the MMO reboot, six years ago, if you count the MMO's original release, or SEVEN years ago, if you don't count MMOs at all. There's been some sequels and side games released in the interim, but there has been a general dearth of Final Fantasy, and this major installment has been a long time coming for fans of the series.

The game that is Final Fantasy XV was originally conceived as Final Fantasy XIII-Versus. It was supposed to share a common mythos in the Fabula Nova Crystallis, which also contains Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Type-0 (originally Final Fantasy XIII-Agito).

The original game was conceived as a darker Kingdom Hearts style action-RPG, and was going to be headed by Tetsuya Nomura. It was announced at E3 2006.



Given that at the time the PS3 hadn't been released, and it is now 2016, the era of the PS4 Pro, it's fair to say that the game fell into development hell for a while.

What I will lovingly call "shenanigans" ensued, and because of the turmoil in the FF series over the past few years, the game that was FF13-Versus was scrapped, and it was rebuilt into Final Fantasy XV.



It got a new director, Hajime Tabata, and we started getting occasional drips of information about the game. As the years kept on, the drips of information turned into a stream, until they finally had a huge release date announcement event called Uncovered: Final Fantasy XV, where we got a flood of new information about the game, the universe, and all the tie in materials.



They also announced the game's release date as September 30th, 2016.

"But wait," you say, "it's well past September 30th, 2016, and I know how dates and time works!"

Well unfortunately, the game needed a bit more polish and optimization, so the game was pushed back instead of releasing a version of the game that potentially would have disappointed fans after their long wait. That wait is now over, and the game is available for purchase.

The most recent trailers (beware spoilers):


Update: FFXV is still being actively developed by SQEX. They've continued to release patches, with episodes focusing on Gladio, Prompto, and Ignis, as well as multiplayer functionality. They've also updated the main game with improvements from the extra chapters, and are planning to overhaul the main game again and add additional improvements. It also looks like it's coming to PC. Watch this space for updates.

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

MAIN SERIES

They've made FIFTEEN (I am so happy to be able to write that) main series games and over fifty spin off titles. Here's what the fans says about them.
I love Final Fantasy because you have to start somewhere.
I love Final Fantasy II because I like hitting myself for stat ups.
I love Final Fantasy III because it allowed me to stop being a hippy and get a job for the first time.
I love Final Fantasy IV because I don't have enough versions of it yet.
I love Final Fantasy V because I can play it for charity.
I hate Final Fantasy VI because I'm a soulless monster without any redeeming qualities.
I love Final Fantasy VII because it's getting remade, naturally.
I love Final Fantasy VIII because I'm a Triple Triad cardshark. There was a fun minigame about saving the world included too.
I love Final Fantasy IX because "Steiner, please, look behind you!"
I love Final Fantasy X because blitzball is rad.
I love Final Fantasy XI because it kept Square Enix in business.
I love Final Fantasy XII because I can finally play the IZJS!.
I love Final Fantasy XIII because I can't get enough Lightning.
I love Final Fantasy XIV because Stormblood is great!
I love Final Fantasy XV because it continues to exist. SQEX thanks you for beta testing the game for them.

SPIN OFFS

Every time profits are down SE makes some more FF games. There are a lot of them, too many to list them all so I'll just continue the theme with the more popular ones.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics because I love grid based movement.
I hate Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles because I have no friends.
I hate Final Fantasy Mystic Quest because it's too easy and I don't like having fun.
I love Final Fantasy X-2 because it really is the ultimate expression of both ATB and the Job system. Also I understand math so Sphere Breaker ain't shit.
I love Dissidia because it's included in its entirety in its sequel.
I love FF XIII-2 because monsters are great at parties.
I love Crisis Core because Zack is an unbeatable hero.
I love Theatrhythm because Square Enix has the best music.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance because just one more turn.
I love Dissidia Duodecim 012 Final Fantasy because you can settle which Final Fantasy is best for all time with your fists.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 because more of the same is exactly what you need when the same is fantastic.
I love Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns because it was either this or no new games at all.
I love Final Fantasy Dimensions because I love Final Fantasy V.
I hate Final Fantasy Record Keeper because it became a monster unto itself.
I love Final Fantasy Explorers because Monster Hunter is a good game, right?
I love World of Final Fantasy because I can stack pocket sized Final Fantasy monsters on my head to do battle!
I love Dissidia NT because I can finally fight my friends online with my favorite FF character!
I love DFF Opera Omnia because it's a bite sized Final Fantasy with bite sized characters!

WHICH VERSION IS BEST?

There's a version of almost everything for almost everything these days. However, avoid the PSX version of FF5 unless it's your only option.

THE PRESENT

Square Enix has managed to get their shit together long enough that they've started releasing new content.

FF Type-0: Was Final Fantasy 13 Agito, changed to Final Fantasy Type-0, and came out on the PSP in Japan only. Fans clamored for this one for a long time, and finally the West got a localization... as an HD version for consoles.



Update: They also fixed the nausea inducing camera blur, so if that was holding you back, give it another shot!

It came out, and it's pretty sweet. I highly recommend picking it up. It's an Action-RPG with a new and interesting story (and direction) for the Final Fantasy series.



World of Final Fantasy. A new game that hits most of the standard jRPG notes, but with a most excellent presentation. You play as two protagonists who have to collect miniaturized versions of classic Final Fantasy monsters, stack them on your head so you can fight other classic Final Fantasy monsters, and all the while interact with miniaturized classic Final Fantasy heroes in a brand new world. This game is upbeat and lighthearted, but has plenty of content to enjoy.

Finally you can play the International Zodiac Job System!



Final Fantasy International Zodiac Job System released on July 11th, 2017. This is a new version of FF12 never before distributed in the West by Square Enix. It features a number of changes and improvements to the base game. Definitely check it out if you've never played FF12, and maybe still check it out if you played the original, since there's plenty of freshness for veterans. Plus that amazing soundtrack.

There is a new Dissidia that came out. It was available in Japan in arcades for about a year, and then they ported it to console to tap other markets (such as the West). Expect it maybe in 2017.

(I know it's confusing after all those FF7 videos, but don't let the thumbnail fool you. This is a Dissidia video).


Update: Dissidia Arcade has officially been ported to console as Dissidia NT. Expect it January 30th, 2018. Trailer up:



Square Enix has yet another mobile game in the pipes, DISSIDIA Final Fantasy Opera Omnia. This one appears to based on the Dissidia universe, and shares some similarities in gameplay.



THE FUTURE



I've had a little time to process this, so no more yelling is required, but yes, the long awaited, long asked for remake of Final Fantasy VII has been confirmed. Of all the times Square Enix has asked us to be excited, now would be the opportune moment.

Update: Combat sneak peek



Some FF7 remake (FF7r) rumors courtesy of Professor Snugglesworth
Confirmed
-Will not be a 1:1 remake, will have story deviations

-"New story scenario" written by Nojima

-Development started in 2012, in-game assets beyond CG trailer exist

-Will retain some of the classic "humorous" elements; Cloud's dress is in

-Battle system will not be the same

Rumored:

-Will run on Unreal Engine

-CyberConnect assisting with development

-Console exclusivity currently in talks, may never come out on XBox One

-Aiming for T rating

-Next major update this Winter

-Original game will get new translation

Also if you want a quick laugh search Youtube for "FF7 remake reactions." There are some choice ones out there

FF16: Presumably eventually? No known info yet.

Final Fantasy's current MMO, Final Fantasy XIV

While it's totally kosher to talk about FF11 and FF14 here, keep in mind there is a dedicated FF14 MMO-specific thread.

Final Fantasy Mobile offerings

Final Fantasy Record Keeper's popularity grew so much that it dominated most of the discussion in the thread. As such it (and all mobile F2P Final Fantasy games) have been given their own threads.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.

Mobius Final Fantasy.

Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia <Thread in works>

KINGDOM HEARTS

Is vaguely related to Final Fantasy, but has its own thread here.

BRAVELY DEFAULT

Is everything you might want in a Final Fantasy, and you can talk about it here.

FF5 FOUR JOB FIESTA
Do you have what it takes to play what is quite simply the most fun and addicting alternate game mode of any RPG ever? Do you want to help out sick children by raising money for the greatest charity in the world? Do you want to watch RK sleepily make his way through Neo-Exdeath with quite a sub standard party? If this sounds even remotely interesting well then, do I have a website for you.

The deal is you get four jobs from the normal set of 20+ and you can only use skills from those four. As you gain new job sets one job is randomly assigned to you and each assigned job must be equipped at all times on at least one party member. You get the wind job, you get four of those, you get the water job, your party must be made up at least one from your water job and one from your wind job and so on. There are variations

http://fourjobfiesta.com/

What do you need to start playing?

1. A copy of FF5. PSN version is cheapest and worst. SFC version is pretty cheap but in Japanese, GBA version is best but expensive, iOS version is a lot cheaper than that but has the issues standard with playing a game on iOS (easy screencaps though!)

2. A twitter account. Yeah I hate twitter too but I made some dummy accounts just for this.

3.Then all you do is sign up at the website (with any of the optional run ideas) and you can play from whenever RK beats the game until the end of August!

Where does the charity come in you say? Well, you can either pledge money to change whatever jobs RK is assigned for his inaugural run (1 dollar=1 extra vote for a job!) or you can pledge money for doing various deeds. If you can't donate money you'll notice that you can still earn money from other people's pledges by completing their goals (usually beating the game with a certain class, beating the two optional bosses,etc.) It's just like getting sponsors for a 10k back in school! You play, everyone wins.

Credit to @xenogears of bore for cannibalizing most of his OPs.

V wrote:
Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

silence1186 on
Dark Raven XkimeSynthesisIanatorShadowfireAndy JoeCalica
«13456757

Posts

  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    And to continue the FF9 talk: Don't bother stealing from the Hill Gigas. It's not worth your sanity.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    Dignified PauperKruite
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I just reminded myself of the FF9 guide.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I haven't got to IX yet, but I've heard it's impossible to 100% it? Isn't there a speedrun component to obtaining the ultimate weapon in that game, and going for it will necessitate skipping a bunch of side content?

    Oh brilliant
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    I love this thread title for how accurate it is.

    I saw a super snarky / pessimistic tweet a day or so ago saying something along the lines of, "Square showing people a minute trailer and fucking off for another three years." Potentially accurate as well.
    I haven't got to IX yet, but I've heard it's impossible to 100% it? Isn't there a speedrun component to obtaining the ultimate weapon in that game, and going for it will necessitate skipping a bunch of side content?
    I've never heard impossible but I've heard it's extremely tight on timing.

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    silence1186
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    Its fun to be snarky but all signs (i.e. the marketing engine, financial projections) are pointing to an actual release late this year.

    Just hoping that timed "exclusivity" doesn't exclude PC but that isn't clear yet.

    rahkeesh2000 on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I love this thread title for how accurate it is.

    I saw a super snarky / pessimistic tweet a day or so ago saying something along the lines of, "Square showing people a minute trailer and fucking off for another three years." Potentially accurate as well.
    I haven't got to IX yet, but I've heard it's impossible to 100% it? Isn't there a speedrun component to obtaining the ultimate weapon in that game, and going for it will necessitate skipping a bunch of side content?
    I've never heard impossible but I've heard it's extremely tight on timing.

    I read a 100% completion plus beat the time limit guide, and it was crazy. You had to every second of the game memorized and executed perfectly, including all your time in menus. It encouraged saving, doing tests to perfect execution, then reloading your save until you hit target times for each stretch of gameplay.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    So, so disappointed that no one has made a Half-Life 3 joke about FFVIIR yet

    PSN/XBL/Nintendo/Origin/Steam: Nightslyr 3DS: 1607-1682-2948
    Switch: SW-3515-0057-3813 FF XIV: Q'vehn Tia
  • JazzJazz Un-UKRegistered User regular
    Its fun to be snarky but all signs (i.e. the marketing engine, financial projections) are pointing to an actual release late this year.

    Just hoping that timed "exclusivity" doesn't exclude PC but that isn't clear yet.

    I have a good friend whose "holy trinity" of games is FF7, RE2 and MGS1.

    If two of them get their remakes released in the same year I think he might explode.

  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    So, so disappointed that no one has made a Half-Life 3 joke about FFVIIR yet
    We'll get Episodes 1 and 2 of FF7R and Episode 3 will be in development limbo forever.

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    NightslyrFryJazzXerinkShadowfireAndy Joe
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    Still quite early on FFVII on Xbox--RE5 came on Game Pass, and wow, that game holds up well for short, shallow action romps--and I just remembered something I must've forgotten more than a decade ago:

    The free Chocobo Lure material at the Chocobo Ranch doesn't appear until after you snatch Shinra's Highwind airship. So you're expected to cough up 2000 gil to that bastard Chocobo Billy.

    On the other hand, I really want enemy skill Beta early on, which means you have to fight (and presumably run from, unless you grind a lot) the Midgar Zolom anyway. At least, I thought you could run from that encounter. It's not like 2000 gil is unaffordable, but I've got about 9k leaving Kalm as it is.

    Lot of options. I'll probably end up buying the lure because I also want enemy skill Chocobuckle, which you'd need the lure for anyway.
    Its fun to be snarky but all signs (i.e. the marketing engine, financial projections) are pointing to an actual release late this year.

    Just hoping that timed "exclusivity" doesn't exclude PC but that isn't clear yet.

    I've thought about this, and I'd be extremely surprised if the FFVII remake 1) actually came out and 2) wasn't available on PC.

    The franchise, as a whole, isn't exclusive anymore (including the MMORPG). That extends to the re-releases, which come out on everything. It took less than a year from the US release of FFVII to the US release of it on PC in 1998, rough as that was. For practical purposes, FFVII has never been exclusive to Playstation, it just took a long time for it to come to other consoles.

    Square-Enix really doesn't like major release exclusivity anymore. Considering their years-long much-hyped titles sell like gangbusters on whatever platform they put it on, there's good reason for that. It's not entirely clear Sony can pay them enough money to actually make it worthwhile to keep FFVII on Playstation, or even just on one console, compared to how much they'd get for as wide a release as possible. The Switch presents unique limitations, which is why it's the only place you can't play the "full" version of FFXV, but it's not like those can't be overcome.

    And there are so many variables. If it ever comes out, part of me thinks it won't be coming to Playstation 4, because it'll already be after the PS5 launch. By then, there will be a new Xbox console on top of that. Possible another Switch revision? Fuck, that's a lot to consider. I'd be more confident about a PC release if it wasn't for Kingdom Hearts 3 not getting a simultaneous PC release, but that bodes well for it coming to Xbox (where you can now play almost a dozen other Final Fantasy games).

    Square-Enix dropping the first episode really "soon" (within a year or two) would refute that, but I don't think that's going to happen. It's incredibly easy for this sort of thing to be delayed again, and again.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Theyll release the first one and it will sell well but get destroyed in reviews, but since it made money they will do the second which will be even worse and not sell, then they wont do the third.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    This OP is too long, I sprained my poor finger scrolling through it, you'll be hearing from my lawyers.

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    This OP is too long, I sprained my poor finger scrolling through it, you'll be hearing from my lawyers.
    Pfft, use your arrow and page-up / page-down keys on the keyboard.

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    Pailryder
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm on my phone, dad

    BahamutZERO.gif
    HenroidkimeToothyNightslyrPolaritienever dieAndy JoeRickRudeFawst
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 11
    The word that has been going around is actually "first on PS4" i.e. timed exclusive, that's likely why Sony has showed it off twice. If its timed the PC could well be delayed. If it was permanent then it would probably just be "never on xbox and not going to Switch anyway."

    rahkeesh2000 on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Still quite early on FFVII on Xbox--RE5 came on Game Pass, and wow, that game holds up well for short, shallow action romps--and I just remembered something I must've forgotten more than a decade ago:

    The free Chocobo Lure material at the Chocobo Ranch doesn't appear until after you snatch Shinra's Highwind airship. So you're expected to cough up 2000 gil to that bastard Chocobo Billy.

    On the other hand, I really want enemy skill Beta early on, which means you have to fight (and presumably run from, unless you grind a lot) the Midgar Zolom anyway. At least, I thought you could run from that encounter. It's not like 2000 gil is unaffordable, but I've got about 9k leaving Kalm as it is.

    Lot of options. I'll probably end up buying the lure because I also want enemy skill Chocobuckle, which you'd need the lure for anyway.
    Its fun to be snarky but all signs (i.e. the marketing engine, financial projections) are pointing to an actual release late this year.

    Just hoping that timed "exclusivity" doesn't exclude PC but that isn't clear yet.

    I've thought about this, and I'd be extremely surprised if the FFVII remake 1) actually came out and 2) wasn't available on PC.

    The franchise, as a whole, isn't exclusive anymore (including the MMORPG). That extends to the re-releases, which come out on everything. It took less than a year from the US release of FFVII to the US release of it on PC in 1998, rough as that was. For practical purposes, FFVII has never been exclusive to Playstation, it just took a long time for it to come to other consoles.

    Square-Enix really doesn't like major release exclusivity anymore. Considering their years-long much-hyped titles sell like gangbusters on whatever platform they put it on, there's good reason for that. It's not entirely clear Sony can pay them enough money to actually make it worthwhile to keep FFVII on Playstation, or even just on one console, compared to how much they'd get for as wide a release as possible. The Switch presents unique limitations, which is why it's the only place you can't play the "full" version of FFXV, but it's not like those can't be overcome.

    And there are so many variables. If it ever comes out, part of me thinks it won't be coming to Playstation 4, because it'll already be after the PS5 launch. By then, there will be a new Xbox console on top of that. Possible another Switch revision? Fuck, that's a lot to consider. I'd be more confident about a PC release if it wasn't for Kingdom Hearts 3 not getting a simultaneous PC release, but that bodes well for it coming to Xbox (where you can now play almost a dozen other Final Fantasy games).

    Square-Enix dropping the first episode really "soon" (within a year or two) would refute that, but I don't think that's going to happen. It's incredibly easy for this sort of thing to be delayed again, and again.

    The Zolom is killable. It's the biggest challenge available at that point in the game, but it's far from impossible.

    SynthesisJragghennever dieknitdanNarbus
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Still quite early on FFVII on Xbox--RE5 came on Game Pass, and wow, that game holds up well for short, shallow action romps--and I just remembered something I must've forgotten more than a decade ago:

    The free Chocobo Lure material at the Chocobo Ranch doesn't appear until after you snatch Shinra's Highwind airship. So you're expected to cough up 2000 gil to that bastard Chocobo Billy.

    On the other hand, I really want enemy skill Beta early on, which means you have to fight (and presumably run from, unless you grind a lot) the Midgar Zolom anyway. At least, I thought you could run from that encounter. It's not like 2000 gil is unaffordable, but I've got about 9k leaving Kalm as it is.

    Lot of options. I'll probably end up buying the lure because I also want enemy skill Chocobuckle, which you'd need the lure for anyway.
    Its fun to be snarky but all signs (i.e. the marketing engine, financial projections) are pointing to an actual release late this year.

    Just hoping that timed "exclusivity" doesn't exclude PC but that isn't clear yet.

    I've thought about this, and I'd be extremely surprised if the FFVII remake 1) actually came out and 2) wasn't available on PC.

    The franchise, as a whole, isn't exclusive anymore (including the MMORPG). That extends to the re-releases, which come out on everything. It took less than a year from the US release of FFVII to the US release of it on PC in 1998, rough as that was. For practical purposes, FFVII has never been exclusive to Playstation, it just took a long time for it to come to other consoles.

    Square-Enix really doesn't like major release exclusivity anymore. Considering their years-long much-hyped titles sell like gangbusters on whatever platform they put it on, there's good reason for that. It's not entirely clear Sony can pay them enough money to actually make it worthwhile to keep FFVII on Playstation, or even just on one console, compared to how much they'd get for as wide a release as possible. The Switch presents unique limitations, which is why it's the only place you can't play the "full" version of FFXV, but it's not like those can't be overcome.

    And there are so many variables. If it ever comes out, part of me thinks it won't be coming to Playstation 4, because it'll already be after the PS5 launch. By then, there will be a new Xbox console on top of that. Possible another Switch revision? Fuck, that's a lot to consider. I'd be more confident about a PC release if it wasn't for Kingdom Hearts 3 not getting a simultaneous PC release, but that bodes well for it coming to Xbox (where you can now play almost a dozen other Final Fantasy games).

    Square-Enix dropping the first episode really "soon" (within a year or two) would refute that, but I don't think that's going to happen. It's incredibly easy for this sort of thing to be delayed again, and again.

    The Zolom is killable. It's the biggest challenge available at that point in the game, but it's far from impossible.

    True. I'm probably selling myself short, I just know that you don't actually have to kill the Zolom to get the skill. If you grind a bit, you can beat it pretty easily with sheer numbers, but I have no idea if I've actually..ground...that much or not.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    When I first played the game, I refused to use the Chocobo and spent a large amount of time finding a way to dodge the Zolom on foot. I can't remember if it involved some kind of get into battle and reset, but I know I found a corner where its pathing got super confused and I could just barely make it.

  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Still quite early on FFVII on Xbox--RE5 came on Game Pass, and wow, that game holds up well for short, shallow action romps--and I just remembered something I must've forgotten more than a decade ago:

    The free Chocobo Lure material at the Chocobo Ranch doesn't appear until after you snatch Shinra's Highwind airship. So you're expected to cough up 2000 gil to that bastard Chocobo Billy.

    On the other hand, I really want enemy skill Beta early on, which means you have to fight (and presumably run from, unless you grind a lot) the Midgar Zolom anyway. At least, I thought you could run from that encounter. It's not like 2000 gil is unaffordable, but I've got about 9k leaving Kalm as it is.

    Lot of options. I'll probably end up buying the lure because I also want enemy skill Chocobuckle, which you'd need the lure for anyway.
    Its fun to be snarky but all signs (i.e. the marketing engine, financial projections) are pointing to an actual release late this year.

    Just hoping that timed "exclusivity" doesn't exclude PC but that isn't clear yet.

    I've thought about this, and I'd be extremely surprised if the FFVII remake 1) actually came out and 2) wasn't available on PC.

    The franchise, as a whole, isn't exclusive anymore (including the MMORPG). That extends to the re-releases, which come out on everything. It took less than a year from the US release of FFVII to the US release of it on PC in 1998, rough as that was. For practical purposes, FFVII has never been exclusive to Playstation, it just took a long time for it to come to other consoles.

    Square-Enix really doesn't like major release exclusivity anymore. Considering their years-long much-hyped titles sell like gangbusters on whatever platform they put it on, there's good reason for that. It's not entirely clear Sony can pay them enough money to actually make it worthwhile to keep FFVII on Playstation, or even just on one console, compared to how much they'd get for as wide a release as possible. The Switch presents unique limitations, which is why it's the only place you can't play the "full" version of FFXV, but it's not like those can't be overcome.

    And there are so many variables. If it ever comes out, part of me thinks it won't be coming to Playstation 4, because it'll already be after the PS5 launch. By then, there will be a new Xbox console on top of that. Possible another Switch revision? Fuck, that's a lot to consider. I'd be more confident about a PC release if it wasn't for Kingdom Hearts 3 not getting a simultaneous PC release, but that bodes well for it coming to Xbox (where you can now play almost a dozen other Final Fantasy games).

    Square-Enix dropping the first episode really "soon" (within a year or two) would refute that, but I don't think that's going to happen. It's incredibly easy for this sort of thing to be delayed again, and again.

    The Zolom is killable. It's the biggest challenge available at that point in the game, but it's far from impossible.

    True. I'm probably selling myself short, I just know that you don't actually have to kill the Zolom to get the skill. If you grind a bit, you can beat it pretty easily with sheer numbers, but I have no idea if I've actually..ground...that much or not.

    Oh, one important detail: you need to be able to survive beta to learn it. Try using an elemental materia linked to fire in the characters armor. They so won't lean it if they get ejected from the fight.

  • IanatorIanator Delightfully mediocre! Registered User regular
    You guys are making me want to try FF7 again. Not sure why but something about the Materia system just does it for me.

    I have the Steam PC release so I'm not sure whether I should even bother with my PS1 originals when I never got past Disc 1.

    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Steam
    Blizzard: Ianator#1479 / 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 / FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Pailryder
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    the steam version is just the pc version from 1998. Basically nothing extra. So you would pretty much be playing the PSX one unless you get involved in the mods

  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    I thought the Steam release fixed some shit from the original PC release? Modern system compatibility, the music, etc?

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I've dipped my toe back into Ivalice with the Xbone release of XII. The remaster is super pretty and silky smooth 60fps on my OneX.

    Just escaped from Nalbina and returned to Rabenastre and started buying every tech and gambit I can and am theorycrafting on how to grind LP, unlock as many gambit slots on everyone as I can and break the mechanics as fast as possible...send help.

    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I thought the Steam release fixed some shit from the original PC release? Modern system compatibility, the music, etc?

    Yes but the end result is the same game.

    Where things really get going is modding, but 7th heaven can be a real pain to set up these days.

    Synthesis
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I thought the Steam release fixed some shit from the original PC release? Modern system compatibility, the music, etc?

    Yes but the end result is the same game.

    Where things really get going is modding, but 7th heaven can be a real pain to set up these days.
    What do you mean "same game"? Isn't that what we're going for here with ports? Or do you mean it still has technical problems as a PC port?

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think since most of the FF releases on Steam are updated in SOME way with QOL stuff, people kind of expect that with all of them.

    FF7 on PC was just tweaking the bare minimum to get the original PC release working on modern systems and throwing it in Steam with achievements. That is it. So my response was to his comment stating something about weather to play the PSX or switch over to PC even though they never finished the "original". In which, the Steam version is the original.

    Well, I think they did edit like a word here or there in the translation to fix obvious errors.

  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I mean that the steam version has gradually updated compatibility so you get an experience on modern PCs close to playing the game in 1998. Like they inserted in recordings of the original music mainly because you can't rely on computers having any kind of midi anymore. (Although yeah, this is an improvement over the original.) I think the slightly improved English script comes straight from the 98 version.

    The recent console ports have higher resolution fonts and portraits, smoothing to upscale backgrounds and FMVs and anti-alias 3d elements, plus the aformentioned "cheat" options and another minor pass on the English script. You can get most of this and more on the PC via modding, but its not included out of the box.

  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Well in general Square PC ports are... ehhhhhhhhhh. I'm never going to get the FFV Steam port because it uses the shit-ass mobile version of the game as a framework, instead of the insanely superior GBA remake+port.

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I found this video is useful for explaining.



    On the subject of Steam, previously you couldn't mod the Steam version of FFVII PC in the awesome ways the older, pre-digital distribution Windows releases (though those required modding to get running on modern systems). Things like higher resolution in the 3D battles, model swaps, etc. There were quite a few projects to replace the 3D models with things from Kingdom Hearts or other S-E releases before the legal teams stepped in. There's even mods that do things like swap Cloud and Sephiroth.

    I bought it on Steam just as a precaution, I'd probably prefer my original PC release. In the meantime, I'm just playing it on Xbox One both out of novelty, convenience, and an interest in a later release script.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
    Fry
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Frankly my concern is it functioning. Any other sort of change / update is not necessary. When I get NES games I don't expect them to be updated, I just want them playable. Games are as they were at their time and that's okay by me.

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I found this video is useful for explaining.



    On the subject of Steam, previously you couldn't mod the Steam version of FFVII PC in the awesome ways the older, pre-digital distribution Windows releases (though those required modding to get running on modern systems). Things like higher resolution in the 3D battles, model swaps, etc. There were quite a few projects to replace the 3D models with things from Kingdom Hearts or other S-E releases before the legal teams stepped in. There's even mods that do things like swap Cloud and Sephiroth.

    I bought it on Steam just as a precaution, I'd probably prefer my original PC release. In the meantime, I'm just playing it on Xbox One both out of novelty, convenience, and an interest in a later release script.

    Geez, I had no idea there were so many rereleases.

    I just played the original PSX version on PC emulators until smartphones were capable of emulating it decently, then been playing it there. Hard to beat that for portability.

    Ninja Snarl P on
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    I went through that video, it sounds like current gen ports (PS4/XB1/Switch) are really solid gets for FF7.

    Curious what kinda mods exist for the PC version.

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I went through that video, it sounds like current gen ports (PS4/XB1/Switch) are really solid gets for FF7.

    Curious what kinda mods exist for the PC version.

    The most important one is The Reunion, which adds a better translation, better models, better menus, a 60 FPS battle mode, etc.

  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I went through that video, it sounds like current gen ports (PS4/XB1/Switch) are really solid gets for FF7.

    Curious what kinda mods exist for the PC version.

    The most important one is The Reunion, which adds a better translation, better models, better menus, a 60 FPS battle mode, etc.
    So about this highlighted point.

    I was recommended a mod for FF9 that made the battles run at "higher FPS" - what it actually did was speed up the battles rather than fill in the rendering gaps. If this mod does the same thing I'm passing big time.

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    Henroid wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I went through that video, it sounds like current gen ports (PS4/XB1/Switch) are really solid gets for FF7.

    Curious what kinda mods exist for the PC version.

    The most important one is The Reunion, which adds a better translation, better models, better menus, a 60 FPS battle mode, etc.
    So about this highlighted point.

    I was recommended a mod for FF9 that made the battles run at "higher FPS" - what it actually did was speed up the battles rather than fill in the rendering gaps. If this mod does the same thing I'm passing big time.

    No, the game runs pretty close to the proper speed. When I used it a few years ago they were still trying to get the timings to match up perfectly with the PSX version, but I don't remember things being obviously broken.

    Battles run at 15 FPS on PC without the mod, which is significantly more jerky than the PSX version.

    But all the different parts of The Reunion are optional, so you can skip the features/changes you don't want.

    Frem on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 12
    This is a quick showcase of what you can do visually with mods. It also shows off the "60 FPS" patch in a battle near the end.



    I've also really enjoyed the New Threat mod, which ups the difficulty in a fair way and adds in a slew of balance tweaks and endgame challenges. Its not compatible with the Beacause retranslation so you have to pick your poison.

    rahkeesh2000 on
    Kai_San
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I went through that video, it sounds like current gen ports (PS4/XB1/Switch) are really solid gets for FF7.

    Curious what kinda mods exist for the PC version.

    The most important one is The Reunion, which adds a better translation, better models, better menus, a 60 FPS battle mode, etc.
    So about this highlighted point.

    I was recommended a mod for FF9 that made the battles run at "higher FPS" - what it actually did was speed up the battles rather than fill in the rendering gaps. If this mod does the same thing I'm passing big time.

    No, the game runs pretty close to the proper speed. When I used it a few years ago they were still trying to get the timings to match up perfectly with the PSX version, but I don't remember things being obviously broken.

    Battles run at 15 FPS on PC without the mod, which is significantly more jerky than the PSX version.

    But all the different parts of The Reunion are optional, so you can skip the features/changes you don't want.

    If it remember right, the PlayStation version did some weirdness where the camera ran at 30 fps while the animations were at 15. They were definitely not 30.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Apparently FFVII's 3D battles run at 20 FPS on PS, and PC as well as far as I know. On the bright side, it makes it very convenient to add a x3 toggle feature.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    For a direct experience report, the 60fps for ff7 doesn’t change the game speed. In fact it often seems like the FPS fluctuates because of stuff that just happens in low FPS unless you speed it up. Animations were not done at high FPS back then when they never were going to be shown that way, I think. So you will notice some things being super smooth and other still stuck at 20 FPS.

    But yeah there is a modding scene for ff7 but it can take some serious work to get going. Reunion and new threat have installers that are pretty much just apply and play. If you want to make other things look nice though, it’s almost Skyrim levels of work to get going ( just nowheee near as many mods)

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Crisis Core is the most ridiculous game, but I loved it thoroughly.

    Wtf haven't they ever remastered or ported it?

    manwiththemachinegunNightslyr
Sign In or Register to comment.