As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Final Fantasy] Seven Remake is in the wild. Beware spoilers!

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Yeah...I mean in retrospect, I never had any trouble with the extra battles in FF7 and 8. Then again, the cheesy stuff (War God Potions/Angelo and KOTR) was quite easy to get. FF9 Ozma was the start of bullshit additional content. I mean, I tolerated Chocobo Hot & Cold but fuck Chocobo Hot & Cold. Especially finding those items out in the world without a guide. Ozma himself is actually a pretty tough fight if you don't abuse Regen and how busted it is due to long cast times. FFX just continued the trend and the less we talk about Yiazmat in XII the better.

For all the shit people give to FFXIII, the extra hunts are actually challenging content that didn't feel cheap. Sadly, FFXV gave us Adamantoise and Omega Weapon.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I don't remember the main story of FFX being especially hard back in the day, before the internet and before I really started thinking about game design stuff. I do remember bouncing hard off the monster arena stuff, and I didn't figure out anything about the ultimate weapons (particularly, I missed the location where you actually "unlock" them to their usable forms)

edit: actually, I do remember having a scare against the final boss (the one people refer to as a "victory lap") since it counters any attack with a 9999 heal, and I didn't have any way to break the damage cap. Fortunately, I did work out a way around that:
    IIRC Auron had an attack that could inflict "Zombie" status, so the counter-heals actually caused it to lose HP

edit2: and the version of the game I played didn't have the Dark Aeons, so.

Fry on
  • Options
    The FFX extra stuff (the Dark Aeons) are there basically to give some challenge back in the game. They definitely assume you're redoing the SG to max out your stats. Or abusing Yojimbo.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, "challenge" in most jRPGs is pretty laughable stuff since it's usually just banging numbers against each other. FFX is a bit better in that the turn system does let you plan some things, but it still just boils down to grinding out big numbers so that you can live long enough to cheese fights against enemies with really big numbers. You can just use a cheat engine or something to crank up the numbers and save dozens of hours of pointless grinding for the same results.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I love all the extra stuff in FF games and it's one of the biggest things that I miss from them and one of the biggest things that makes them even more enjoyable than other JRPGs that for whatever reason put all the coolest stuff behind beating the game for whatever pointless dumb reason.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    FFX had some neat puzzle bosses as challenges. Yunalesca in particular is a deviously-designed battle.

XIII was legitimately difficult in a bunch of places, and grinding past it wasn't much of an option.

VII looks easy and fun, which I'm fine with.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Yup, FFXIII (and some FFXII espers) are much more about figuring out the puzzle rather than going in with big stats. No amount of leveling will make the fighs doable unless you solve the strat.

Technically, Ruby Weapon is kinda like that too.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I don't remember the main story of FFX being especially hard back in the day, before the internet and before I really started thinking about game design stuff. I do remember bouncing hard off the monster arena stuff, and I didn't figure out anything about the ultimate weapons (particularly, I missed the location where you actually "unlock" them to their usable forms)

edit: actually, I do remember having a scare against the final boss (the one people refer to as a "victory lap") since it counters any attack with a 9999 heal, and I didn't have any way to break the damage cap. Fortunately, I did work out a way around that:
    IIRC Auron had an attack that could inflict "Zombie" status, so the counter-heals actually caused it to lose HP

The rest of the game is not that hard. I've had little to no trouble making it TO the end of the game. It's just that the final boss is like "Oh you didn't grind out and do the optional stuff? Too bad!"

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    But...you don't have to. It's perfectly doable. Well, as you said, you can just youtube the ending. No need to play a game you don't like.

Edit: there are many ways to make that fight easier without going into monster hunter mode. Just crafting a cool weapon with decent passives from Oaka (Auto Haste, Auto Protect, Break Damage Limit) help a ton. If you aren't maxing stats, Strength + weapons are pretty cool too.

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    Thread, I think it's been mentioned a lot of times but...what's the name of that good FF6 mod? Was it brave new world?

• Options
    delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »

The rest of the game is not that hard. I've had little to no trouble making it TO the end of the game. It's just that the final boss is like "Oh you didn't grind out and do the optional stuff? Too bad!"

If you want to easily break the game with the minimum of optional stuff, just use a teleport spheres to have Yuna pick up Ultima from Kimari's area and double cast black magic from Lulu's section. Then get Yuna's ultimate weapon and unlock it which is the generally the easiest of the weapons to do that for. She then will be able to double cast ultima for 1mp and will break the damage cap with each cast.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Thread, I think it's been mentioned a lot of times but...what's the name of that good FF6 mod? Was it brave new world?

Quite probably what you're thinking of, yes: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/8myjnu/brave_new_world_190_is_out_final_fantasy_vi/

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The final boss is very much not a you-should-have-ground-levels boss.
    The bonus bosses very much are.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I usually have to grind a little bit in the final dungeon in order to best X's boss. It's nothing egregious, except that the enemies there are also quite tough if you're coming in straight without doing extras.

Oh, and shout-out to XIII-2's final boss for how epic the whole thing looks and feels. It's solid enough too, even if it's not necessarily the most mechanically interesting thing.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I guess I just only ever did X after going through the omega dungeon and basically nothing except arena was hard after that

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    FFX had some neat puzzle bosses as challenges. Yunalesca in particular is a deviously-designed battle.

XIII was legitimately difficult in a bunch of places, and grinding past it wasn't much of an option.

VII looks easy and fun, which I'm fine with.

Well I mean FFXIII purposefully set level caps so you couldn't overlevel.

Not that I'm complaining I actually liked that.

If anything I just wish they had variable difficulty levels to go with it.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

There are two major ff6 mods but the one that creates an improved authentic experience is brave new world.

Just be prepared for a somewhat cringe script edit they insist upon for some reason. But the gameplay is very much worth it. It does get a bit on the difficult side, especially because you can’t grind your way out of tough problems.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The FFX extra stuff (the Dark Aeons) are there basically to give some challenge back in the game. They definitely assume you're redoing the SG to max out your stats. Or abusing Yojimbo.

dark aeons? were those in X? I remember those as an X-2 thing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

In the JP-only rerelease yes. One of the items for Tidus's ultimate weapon gets blocked behind one of them if you don't grab it as soon as it's available too.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    How long is FFXII btw? I'm 12 hours in, up to
    getting imprisoned on the airship, Vaan just gave the Magicite to the bad guys

Am I still in the intro? ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    not really the intro but still starting...

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    X is probably one of the easiest games to powerlevel in. There's a bit of a setup, but once that's done it's super easy to just pop in and gain a ridiculous amount of sphere levels. If I remember right, it's something along the lines of:

-Capture enough monsters until the tonberry is available
    -Unlock either the Damage to Overdrive mode, or the Ally damage to Overdrive mode
    -Create weapons with the skill that turns overdrive into exp, and the auto item skill

And then you just fight the tonberry. It attacks you for massive damage. When you die, your party members automatically revive you. Once it gets too close where it starts doing its instant kill attack (which doesn't play nice with the current skill setup), you just run away and keep all the levels. Doing that just a handful of times is enough to overlevel you for the story. There's more in depth grinding if you want to do the super fights and all that (and god help you if you actually want to do that, including all the trophy crap too), but really just getting the points needed to move around the grid is shockingly the easiest part of everything.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

In the JP-only rerelease yes. One of the items for Tidus's ultimate weapon gets blocked behind one of them if you don't grab it as soon as it's available too.

I think that's the everywhere but the US release. The EU version got them as well as an apology for being super late and horribly converted to PAL.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Unity is a lot more powerful than I thought as an engine.

There's a humble bundle right now that gives you a bunch of tools to make/build a card game and that was about all I thought it was good for. Like a simple board/card/mobile game with no need for serious processor power behind it. But it actually seems pretty good.

Also, if anyone ever remade IX, I'd like some more bonus content. Make Beatrix a permanent party member. :)

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Unity is a lot more powerful than I thought as an engine.

There's a humble bundle right now that gives you a bunch of tools to make/build a card game and that was about all I thought it was good for. Like a simple board/card/mobile game with no need for serious processor power behind it. But it actually seems pretty good.

Bwuh?

That's an odd initial impression to have of Unity. It powers games like Hollow Knight, Cuphead, SE's 2nd tier stuff (I Am Setsuna, Lost Sphear), the Switch port of Doom, and lots of others. It's a legit 3D engine.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Though to be fair, the modern tools of Unity are hugely better than the engine started out; there's a lot of hacky stuff that had to be done to get impressive things out of the earlier versions of Unity, and a lot of stuff couldn't be straight moved from the old Unity builds into new builds and had to be redone. I remember the earlier Unity builds gave the Kerbal Space Program developers no end of difficulty, particularly when they moved from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Which is not to say Unity isn't a powerful tool now, just that it's had a turbulent history and may have given people some wrong impressions at some point or another.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I was seeing the Unity logo on Kongregate for months, probably in slightly rapacious idle games, before I heard of it being used in commercial releases, so I know I assumed at first that it was some kind of alternative to Flash.

That was years and years ago, though.

• Options
    No, Unity is definitely a for-real game-building engine. Actual games, not just RPG maker stuff or like those "game maker" tools where you just bolt some things together. You can do some really complex and impressive things in Unity, particularly now that there is a large database of user-made assets and tools to work from.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Not much to add, just wanted to say that Unity is dope. I went to Drexel with a focus in Game Design and we used Unity there to learn engines and for games and it's really come a long way since then. I love that it's getting the support it's getting. Another cool thing is that the professional version is completely free until you make your first $100,000 from a project developed in Unity.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Not much to add, just wanted to say that Unity is dope. I went to Drexel with a focus in Game Design and we used Unity there to learn engines and for games and it's really come a long way since then. I love that it's getting the support it's getting. Another cool thing is that the professional version is completely free until you make your first $100,000 from a project developed in Unity.

It's a good way to get people to buy into your ecosystem for sure.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, I think I found the worst Final Fantasy XV quest.

So I talked to the crazy animal lady with the hat yet again. She gave me a generic "oh, looking for more work" thing, and I've got a quest. Looking at the log, it's for a griffin feather. Can do! The map says it's in... the city of Lestallum? Wait, is this some kind of urban griffin that likes cappuccino and hanging around in dance clubs? Okay, whatever. I go to the marker, which points to one of the restaurant guys. Uh, that's not a griffin. Maybe he'll point me to one? I do the dialog option -- no griffin. Maybe a new hunt? I check and -- no griffin. Diving into Gamefaqs told me I have to repeat a hunt I've already done, but the game gave me zero indication I had to do it.

Fine, whatever. I get the hunt, and it's griffin whackin' time! I do the fight, I hump all the way back to the greasy spoon in Lestallum, turn it in, and... nothing. I've made no progress on hat lady's quest. Is the thing bugged? Back to Gamefaqs, and... the griffin isn't guaranteed to drop the feather. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IN 40-ODD HOURS THE GAME HAS SUDDENLY DECIDED QUEST ITEMS DON'T AUTOMATICALLY DROP. Seriously, I know I'm a sucker for sidequests, but you literally can't get hat lady's feather quest until chapter seven or so. And to make matters worse, if the griffin doesn't drop the feather, you have to hump all the way back to Lestallum to get the hunt yet again.

I've read the patch notes and an absolute crapton of stuff has been added to the game over two and a half years, but somehow no one decided to tweak this quest to make it less annoying. I am completely baffled by some of the decisions the designers made.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    IIRC you don't have to accept the hunt to fight a griffon. There is one that spawns in an area long the northern edge of dusk-eye.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Also, you significantly increase your chances of getting a feather if you break the wings I think? Or maybe I've just been playing too much monster hunter.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    ...I take it back. The worst quest in FFXV is the very next one crazy hat lady gives, where you have to find rainbow frogs in the general vicinity of, I dunno, THE ENTIRE FUCKING MAP with no other clue besides "uh, water, I guess?"

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Just buy the strategy guidelook it up for free online like you're supposed to.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Just be careful not to use the chapter select option, because that erases all your sidequest progress (even ones marked complete in your quest log) and resets your hunter rank back to zero for some reason

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Oh god, the Cup Noodles quest. So gloriously shameless. Even food snob Ignis claims they're culinary perfection. It's such immersion-shattering hackery but I can't help but love it.

• Options
    you haven't seen the cup noodles dlc outfit huh?

• Options
    you haven't seen the cup noodles dlc outfit huh?

I saw the outfit; I wasn't prepared for the extended spiel.

This discussion has been closed.