As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

detective pikachu: mr. mime is a fucking snitch (open spoilers, so bewear)

12345679»

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Did anyone else have to stop themselves from yelling out the Pokemon names as the appeared?

I had to shush my 4 year old a lot :P

I predict it'll be a sleeper hit at the box office.

...I read this earlier this evening and I re-read it just now and finally got it, ugh

Janson on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I stopped playing long before it was created but Aegisslash is the best pokemon after Bulbasoar

Quire.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    bulbasaur is the coward's starter

Fight me.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Fight me.

!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I've also always really liked Grass Pokemon and wish that they were better in general

Yeah, they seem to get the short end of the stick with the starter types. Lots of good fast fire glass cannons, lots of good bulky waters...

#makegrassresistfairy

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Is it strange that I keep an email sent to myself that has all the teams I finished the games with? No right?

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    sarukun wrote: »

Fight me.

well I chose charmander, because I'm not a coward, ergo

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

I’m 18 sitting in Japanese 101 again.

Pikachu was my favorite renaissance painter.

Quire.jpg
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Pikachu was my favorite renaissance painter.

I was particularly interested in his blu period.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Caught the movie tonight, I enjoyed it enough, though would have liked 1 or two actual battles rather than the "Hey, come see us do big monsters again in Godzilla: King of the Monsters coming to theaters in just a week kids!" giant Torterra scene.

The visuals were top notch and I echo wanting to live in Ryme City.

My other small quibble
    The red herring with the berzerker chemical/atk up being called R. Got me all hyped for Team Rocket and then poured cold water all over my expectations. I demand a sequel with them!

Also
    It's me
    6vyypgmgk4zl.jpg

I'm the Giovannni

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Guys why isn’t Psyduck real

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    because nothing that perfect could exist

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I could complain about this movie but Bill Nighy was talking about pokeman

And the entire Mr Mime sequence murdered me

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Anyways I have a new bad day movie once this hits blu ray

aGPmIBD.jpg
    just like it murdered mr. mime

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    This movie was so good

As soon as I heard folks talking about how good Bill Nighy was, I was hyped for him to play Mewtwo

Then I heard Mewtwo and met Bill Nighy and I was disappointed

Then the ending happened and I got everything I wanted

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    just like it murdered mr. mime

Kayfabe to the end

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Hearing Bill Nighy say pokemon names was maybe my favorite part of this film

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    i really loved this movie, i just wish it was less horrible about people in wheelchairs

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Something I'm curious about: Why did some Pokemon say their names (like Psyduck) and why did others make more naturalistic sounds (like Bulbasaur)?

Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Something I'm curious about: Why did some Pokemon say their names (like Psyduck) and why did others make more naturalistic sounds (like Bulbasaur)?

I think they all said their name but with Bulbasaur they took a bit of liberty. When I started paying attention much of what Bulbasaur said sounded like he might be saying "-Suar".

Quire.jpg
    i really loved this movie, i just wish it was less horrible about people in wheelchairs

I think they tried to move past that by having the Son admit he basically abandoned his dad during his illness instead of supporting him .

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

I think they all said their name but with Bulbasaur they took a bit of liberty. When I started paying attention much of what Bulbasaur said sounded like he might be saying "-Suar".

In the cartoon there are a handful that just make a noise, too, rather than their name. I'm okay if they decided to shuffle some of those around.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »

In the cartoon there are a handful that just make a noise, too, rather than their name. I'm okay if they decided to shuffle some of those around.

Only Pokemon that have appeared in the show or movie would already have a canonical way of saying its name and maybe TPC didn't want to let them create any from scratch got the movie? None of them say their names in the games, they all make naturalistic sounds.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Except Pikachu, because Yellow.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    They had Ikue Ōtani voice Pikachu in the film... which led me to find out that apparently they kept all her voicework for Pikachu in all the English dubs of the cartoons, even.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    What does Mr. Mime say?

i'm your daddy now, ash

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

I think they tried to move past that by having the Son admit he basically abandoned his dad during his illness instead of supporting him .

A throwaway line from the son does not dismiss the rest of the awful bullshit that was spewed for the rest of the movie. That line is also a joke meant to mirror Tim's relationship with his dad

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Mr SparklesMr Sparkles Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    What does Mr. Mime say?

Whatever it'll take for you to put out the match

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    What does Mr. Mime say?

Mr Mime.

Its actually really annoying and Im glad he doesnt talk in the movie. Iirc he's just Mime in Japan so theres no excuse

The Japanese name is Barrierd.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    this movie was super cool. I think the story/writing was kind of whatever, but the visualization of a pokemon world was seriously incredible. I think the main actor was really good, Lucy was abysmal, and psyduck stole my heart

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    The Japanese name is Barrierd.

"Barrier'D" is how one of the Teen Girl Squad would be killed.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Finally took the time to see this

I went in expecting "will feel like a high-budget fan film, in a good way" and got pretty much exactly that. Some very clever bits, some kinda dumb bits, and a pretty excellent amount of internal consistency.

Also when the trailers first came out I noted a near-total lack of the ugly cynicism that most "real people plus Pokemon" fan projects drown themselves in, and the movie absolutely held up in that regard. That has my admiration

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I hope that makes it into the sequel!