As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario Maker 2] Final update on 4/22! Frog Suit! Overworld creator! And More!

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I personally feel kaizo-style levels are lame, but i totally respect your adherence to the craft @Ah_Pook

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    My first level in 1.5 years! I've been in a content creation mood and I've been wanting to revisit Mario Maker for a while with all the updates. This is a standard level with 2 boss battles. It has a decent difficulty, but the power-ups are plenty and there are 2 checkpoints.

Tower Entrenched
    DTV-VBS-10H

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Hot off the press:

Sky Run Intense
    TTH-J11-MFG

Earlier today I played one of my old levels and I had a lot of fun. It was a sky Mario 3 level and the Athletic theme really is great. I felt my last map was missing some fun factor, so I decided to do several things:
    1. Sky/Athletic theme Mario 3 style
    2. It's going to be autoscroll to up the pace of the map (normal autoscroll speed)
    3. I'm going to try and finish it in a few hours

Took me about 2.5 hours to complete and I'm quite happy with it. I find it very fun to play through, and it goes by quick. There are various obstacles and enemies thrown at you in a steady stream so you always feel like something is happening. No downtime here except the beginning and end. Also go for the 5 red coins for an extra challenge + bonus rewards.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I uploaded a new level

I'm still grinding that shell level. One day I'll get consistent enough to upload it 8-) I think I'm like 60 hrs deep into attempting it.

• Options

Turns out I still upload levels once I stop grinding on a really hard level I made and haven't been able to upload (yet) 8-)

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    So I have started playing levels posted here last time I said I would (got distracted sorry). I mostly got a kickstart because when I originally heard SMM1 was shutting down, I thought levels would be gone. So even though I heard it was just new uploads, I was highly interested in starting to redo my SMM1 levels in SMM2. Like half move them over, half update. Combination of new stuff and just improving them further. Iterating on ideas is fun to me.

Anyway I finished two so far.

Wiggle Wall Too - 1WG-BV4-75G : Didn't change much. Little cleaning up but there isn't much to add. It was a simple level. I moved it back to one wall because honestly two was boringly easy. I think the hardest part of it is knowing to drop a POW block to get them past the holes. Main improvements are screen locking,

Sixteen Doors Too - KM4-RR1-L5G : This saw a LOT of changes with the bosses. Especially the final one. Its like brutally hard, but I think it feels pretty epic too. This level was painful to upload, and I had to do it twice because the secret area wasn't working. Still made it though. The final boss can destroy you but you get a checkpoint right there. Keep at it, there is actually a method to the madness. Or not, it really is some super expert stuff. This level massively benefitted from screen lock, both in making it cleaner and also in that final boss.

I am still working through levels posted here. The 3DWorld Hudson levels surprised me. Either that is a lot of extra flavor or they were surprisingly intricate.

• Options
    RubberRoss put out a video of him playing his SMM1 levels, and the beginning was him checking when fans told him he was still rated super high in the all time leaderboard.

Of course, I also saw that @UncleSporky is still #1 in the US over there. By a large margin even.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    So I have started playing levels posted here last time I said I would (got distracted sorry). I mostly got a kickstart because when I originally heard SMM1 was shutting down, I thought levels would be gone. So even though I heard it was just new uploads, I was highly interested in starting to redo my SMM1 levels in SMM2. Like half move them over, half update. Combination of new stuff and just improving them further. Iterating on ideas is fun to me.

Anyway I finished two so far.

Wiggle Wall Too - 1WG-BV4-75G : Didn't change much. Little cleaning up but there isn't much to add. It was a simple level. I moved it back to one wall because honestly two was boringly easy. I think the hardest part of it is knowing to drop a POW block to get them past the holes. Main improvements are screen locking,

Sixteen Doors Too - KM4-RR1-L5G : This saw a LOT of changes with the bosses. Especially the final one. Its like brutally hard, but I think it feels pretty epic too. This level was painful to upload, and I had to do it twice because the secret area wasn't working. Still made it though. The final boss can destroy you but you get a checkpoint right there. Keep at it, there is actually a method to the madness. Or not, it really is some super expert stuff. This level massively benefitted from screen lock, both in making it cleaner and also in that final boss.

I am still working through levels posted here. The 3DWorld Hudson levels surprised me. Either that is a lot of extra flavor or they were surprisingly intricate.

The level design Hudson came up with was pretty darn great. I tried to keep the level layouts and enemy placements as faithful to the original as I could. So the credit goes to Hudson Soft there.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

I don't know if traditional is the right description but hey, I think it came out pretty well.

• Options
    Only one person beat that level I did. I don't care though, I love how the end turned out even if it's super hard.

• Options
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    What level @Kai_San ?

Sixteen Doors Too - KM4-RR1-L5G

If I can get around to remaking the rest of my SMM1 levels, I might make a world out of them. That would would make a perfect final level.

• Options
    What level @Kai_San ?

If I can get around to remaking the rest of my SMM1 levels, I might make a world out of them. That would would make a perfect final level.

I forgot. I shall play it!

• Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    What level @Kai_San ?

I forgot. I shall play it!
    @Kai_San I completed it. Pretty tough. The final boss battle is a bit too unforgiving, in my opinion. The bridge collapsing in the final boss room is cool but has a couple flaws. One, the bridge exploding sometimes damages you. Two, some bone fish fall down and can hurt you.

• Options
    I did everything I could to prevent the damage. It only happens if you are mid fall as the blocks change and have pre momentum. It is fairly rare. The one thing I DID run into and couldn't figure out a fix for (but is super rare) is when one of Bowser's bombs explode on the on/off as you are falling and trap you in the blocks. It's like winning the lottery, but it can happen and it is a soft lock. I never had anything with the fish though. You should never see them at all really once you fall. Still, I liked the whole scenario too much to abandon it even with a few hiccups.

I tweaked the difficulty as much as I could, but I can't help but usually make oldschool nintendo hard stuff. There are plenty of ways to control the fight but it is a lot of work.

Thanks for getting like the second completion though. I figured it would be a quick rework of an original level from SMM1 but that whole sequence at the end took me weeks.

• Options

What 805 hours of MM2 gets you, if you're me and learning kaizo stuff completely from scratch

Well it took 6 months and 200 more hours of getting better at shells, but I finally uploaded this level 😎

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That is straight crazy go nuts.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    If you still play play and want to take a shot at my new level here it is, this one should be pretty easily beatable for non shell/kaizo lunatics. Let me know what you think if you try it :)

Ps: updated code is in the next tweet, had to slightly decheese

• Options
    I stopped posting all of them but in case you were worried that I wasn't making levels still 🤣 I think this one came out pretty cool

• Options
    I can't play kaizo but it's mesmerizing to watch.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I can't play kaizo but it's mesmerizing to watch.

I promise you could if it looks fun to you. The question is do you have the kind of brain that makes practicing this stuff fun for the 1000 or so hours it would take to get there ;)

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    My daughter’s been playing Super Mario Maker on the WiiU, and this is her idea of a “easy and fun” level:

azml05u4lcu6.jpeg

If she keeps at it, she’ll make the worst troll levels. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    My kid's the same, and he is practicing his evil laugh with the press of each button.

I told him I only play levels he manages to upload.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Mario maker posts! You love to see it. My nephew bought a copy of this but it didn't really grab him I guess. Was hoping he would keep making levels but whatcha gonna do. Personally I'm still going down the shell kaizo rabbit hole :)

• Options
    I have seen a couple of you I had managed to follow with some obvious kid levels.

Not even the levels, just the names they upload with.

I try to play them when I can.

• Options
    I'd upload her levels, but the Wii U isn't supported anymore. I don't want to buy MM2 because I don't know how much longer she's gonna care about the game. She knows about the sequel because she's been replicating levels she's watched on youtube. But kids can be so flighty, so I'm in a holding pattern right now.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I have seen a couple of you I had managed to follow with some obvious kid levels.

Not even the levels, just the names they upload with.

I try to play them when I can.

O yeah, he likes to name them all with my and his name and then adding some numbers.

I also made a few simple ones for him to become a better Mario player. First few it was almost impossible to die besides running out of time. (Which happened, by the way).

After a few of those, I was finally comfortable putting in lethal things in them. He adjusted nicely.

A year later, he just turned five, and my boy is deep into Mario Odyssey, saying he singlehandedly defeated the big bird in the volcano.

I'm a proud dad.

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Thats about the progression of my son.

He was 2.5 when SMM1 came out. He actually was REALLY good at it even at that age, just took a step back after he started to be afraid of failure around 3ish. Then he took off again.

I think like 2 years ago he also took a journey through Odyssey, and other than the second big rabbit lady fight and that final stretch before the cathedral with the chargin chuck, he did the WHOLE thing on his own. Also, the only game he has ever finished to this date.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Mind you, I was less happy about him deleting my save file.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    OK, so the digital version of MM2 is on sale at Amazon for $38, so I finally picked it up for my daughter. She's having a bit of a time going from the WiiU touch screen to the JoyCon controllers, but I guess that gets easier over time. Any suggestions on moving around the menus faster, or is it basically muscle memory of using the D-Pad to move to the outer menus? Like, even having a fast way to access the item/enemy rings would be great.

And no, she's absolutely NOT going to be allowed to use the Switch's touch screen. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cross-posting from the Switch thread:

Hey everyone, I have a request! My 6-year old daughter has been playing some Mario Maker 2 and enjoying it. However, when we try and do some of the online levels, it's pretty hit or miss. Either the levels are a mess, stupid hard, or some strange theme that doesn't make sense.

So I was wondering if the fine denizens of the PA forums would like to help me out by making Mario Maker 2 levels for her to play. Even better if they're customized to her likings or mention her name (Abigail). If you'd like to help out, here are some things she enjoys:
    • Princess Peach
    • Rainbows
    • Coins galore
    • Cute things
    • No-pressure puzzles (getting keys, etc without enemies chasing)
    • Sub-levels
    • Pretty set pieces (nighttime star fields, glittering caves, etc)

So yeah, any levels would be awesome. Just drop the code here or in the Mario Maker thread. Thanks a bunch!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Toss her the code for this one, seems like she'll enjoy it ;)

I'll make a level for her though :)

• Options
    @MNC Dover s6x-28f-hff

Hopefully it's not too hard. Lemme know how y'all like it :)

• Options

Thanks @Ah_Pook, she loved the level. Reading her name on the level description put a big smile on her face. She almost ran out of time trying to get all the coins. :smiley:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Should also note that she requested I draw a Toadette as a comment for your level. After 10 minutes, I created a passable Toadette and then she wanted me to add some text saying thank you. It was then that I learned a comment could be a drawing OR text. All that work lost. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I used to add a crappy blue toad drawing to any level I particularly liked

It is prolly way back in this thread somewhere but I can get the code for the coin collecting level I did a while back. Its not hard but it does have some intricate jumping. Just not a lot that can kill you though.