As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario Maker 2] Final update on 4/22! Frog Suit! Overworld creator! And More!

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    The Mario Maker 2 Challenge Bash #3!

Challenge details: Levels must have a significant portion of the level with the custom autoscroll featured. Doesn't have to be 100% of the level.

Level Style: Any
    Level Theme: Any
    Nighttime option: Any
    Duration: July 28-> Aug 4
    Submission Cutoff: Aug 4
    Winner Announced: Aug 5

Just an FYI in case you didn’t already know, but you can only do custom autoscroll on the main world, not in the sub world. Which means you can’t do a custom vertical autoscroll level. I wanted to do a vertical sky level but had to change my strategy up once I saw that limitation.

This can't possibly be true unless they introduced it in a patch without saying so, because there are levels that only use autoscroll on the sub-world. For example, "Go Left!", code S34-R68-WQG. EDIT: Wait, custom auto-scroll. I guess Go Left doesn't use that.

What a bizarre, unnecessary limitation.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Just an FYI in case you didn’t already know, but you can only do custom autoscroll on the main world, not in the sub world.

Oh, that is a good thing to point out!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Here are the MMC 1 levels
    https://youtu.be/VNhDgDUiJlI
    00:00 RMC-DFG-CJF Perilous Climb by Rehab
    13:45 5B3-V44-FMG 30 Second Vine by Gundi
    19:20 HRY-7PY-PHF Castle Run!! by SniperGuy
    22:15 5XD-LBP-NMG DS3 - Dancer of the Boreal Valley by "The Sauce"
    29:00 W7S-BWJ-TPG Pyramid Panic by Kizmitt
    31:15 PVM-DLX-WHF Pipe Troubles by cravipat
    34:55 P0Q-L56-4VG Challenge Course #1 by webguy20
    5JQ-NC9-10H Rat Race by Kai_San

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    That bobomb should have gone off. I call shenanigans.

I like that you went for (and got) the world record in my silly little pyramid level.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Did some times last night. This one was fun

Not gonna say how long it took to squeeze between that platform and wall.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    @agoaj

Loved watching you demolish the boss, then the struggle was real to get sub-30. My experience was similar. That successful run of yours featured some impressive acrobatics! I was sure you were dead like 3 times, but you edged it out. Super fun!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

I mean, i'm not complaining! I'm really glad my levels are bringing such joy to speedrun.

@Kai_San Agreed on 3d World courses being so much fun to speed run - I'm working on another one as a palette cleanser now. Cat Mario, Airship theme, Skiqsqueaks (get it?) and Cat-Dives.

Trying to figure out what makes 3d world feel so good to speed run for me - i think it's the combo of the long jump, spin jump, wall jumps etc - there's enough different movement techniques that flow really naturally into one another.

Its all the movement abilities yeah. Also because they just kind of feel more open.

Long jump and spin jump are very nice additions to sidescrolling mario. It adds so much style.

Well, on that note @Kai_San new stage time!

Catsuit Crash Course
    3d World, Airship, speedrun.
    241-BDB-HFG

Easier than my previous speed runs, i believe. Gonna be interested to see what people pull off - there's some attempts at providing laternate routes.

Worth noting: You will def need to use Cat Dives, Spin Jumps and Long Jumps to get through this optimally. And probably at all. I'm not sure if you can even complete it without the catsuit (if someone can, let me know!)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Oh man, I feel bad for that agoaj! I literally made that second jump as difficult as I possibly could because it was this little 30 second level. All I can say is that the trick is to always be super jumping and to use momentum.

Edit: By the way, that comment you left for Celebration of Course (You can't jump on me, I'm the cake boss!), was that something PFT ever said as his cake boss character or just some riffing from you?

Rehab on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    We should make a challenge where the goal is to make @Agoaj ragequit your level on stream.

Runner-up is the one with the most kills.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    I specifically told him he shouldn't play my level that might make one do that because it absolutely does not play nice. Someone did clear that thing though, after throwing what must have been over 100 attempts at it.

• Options
    I mean, on the one hand I find that idea for a challenge pretty funny, but on the other hand I also like agoaj too much for that.

• Options
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    We should make a challenge where the goal is to make @Agoaj ragequit your level on stream.

Runner-up is the one with the most kills.
    I have seen him play some of my levels from smm1. Dude is incapable of rage quitting. He experienced some shit in one of my hardest levels that effectively made him refight a long boss battle and he kept going. Mad respect for that, but I also had to fix the hell out of it.

He is definitely the terminator of smm players.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    That bobomb should have gone off. I call shenanigans.

I like that you went for (and got) the world record in my silly little pyramid level.

It looks like the bomb omb wasn't loaded in by the time the flying chomper made it to the bottom (i think it's four squares away for vertical levels.. it's four for horizontal levels, but never tested vert). Agoaj was far enough behind that the chomper was already on its return trip. I don't know what the interaction is for chompers and bomb ombs, but i think it can be solved by having the chomper fall off the main track into a small track that just goes back in forth over the bomb omb.

Edit: Although with the time limit that would be tough to. It looks like Agoaj threaded the timing needle of being slow enough to not trigger bomb and fast enough to still finish in time. Nice!

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Just watched Agoa's playthrough of my... one level. Man, that idea just would not function. The bomb definitely didn't load. I tried a bunch of ways to fix that, but I kind of thought the timer was short enough to chop off any unloaded time. Seeing he had less than a second left, I was almost right.

I had to start and finish that on the last day because I had both just gotten the game a few days before, and was enjoying playing levels too much to get around to making. So that was like 2 hours of testing.

That idea to put it on a track on top of the bomb is a good one too. Though it might just not load the bomb at that point... or the track for it to fall on.

Only way the loading could have been fixed though would have been to start at the bottom and climb up, then go down. But that would have made it more than 30 seconds.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Just watched Agoa's playthrough of my... one level. Man, that idea just would not function. The bomb definitely didn't load. I tried a bunch of ways to fix that, but I kind of thought the timer was short enough to chop off any unloaded time. Seeing he had less than a second left, I was almost right.

I had to start and finish that on the last day because I had both just gotten the game a few days before, and was enjoying playing levels too much to get around to making. So that was like 2 hours of testing.

That idea to put it on a track on top of the bomb is a good one too. Though it might just not load the bomb at that point... or the track for it to fall on.

Only way the loading could have been fixed though would have been to start at the bottom and climb up, then go down. But that would have made it more than 30 seconds.

Ah, you're right, objects won't load if there is something else in the area...Can a bombomb get wings? If so you could put it just ahead of chomper on track, but im not sure if i've seen flying bombombs.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

Is that all of them? Because I submitted a level for that one as well.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Ok, that was actually kind of fun. It was an auto mario level in the 3D World style where you are traveling through a bunch of clear pipes while a ton of chaotic bullshit is happening around you.

I'll have to post the ID for that and some other cool (actual) levels later.

Edit: I also had to "Boo" my first level directly after that.

Rehab on
  • Options
    For me, any level with an unforeseeable death trap (3 doors, 1 path forward, 2 instant kills, 0 hints) gets a boo. And not the ghostly kind either.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Zombie Penguin and yours didn't work, did I get these codes right?
    M15-78R-CXF
    P50-1K6-F9G

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Rehab wrote: »
    Oh man, I feel bad for that agoaj! I literally made that second jump as difficult as I possibly could because it was this little 30 second level. All I can say is that the trick is to always be super jumping and to use momentum.

Edit: By the way, that comment you left for Celebration of Course (You can't jump on me, I'm the cake boss!), was that something PFT ever said as his cake boss character or just some riffing from you?

From the real deal

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options

M15-78R-CXF
    P50-1K6-F9G

Mine’s the second one, and it starts with “PS0”, not “P50”.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    @agoaj
    your death at 17:50 was heartbreaking

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

M15-78R-CXF
    P50-1K6-F9G

I think you also missed mine, YSS-VYH-GHG. Don't feel obligated, though, obvs.

• Options
    Making Mario Maker 2 levels:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbQDP0eYzHk

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Right, I've finished story mode! Now I need to play your levels and try making stuff. I'm never that inventive, but I enjoy it.

Is there any reward for finishing all the story mode levels? Save for getting some ideas?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    You definitely get some stuff from beating it. I want to say it was basically everything Mario is wearing in the story but for your Mii and also the Super Hammer.

• Options
    So many garbage levels in expert endless. Am slowly dying.

• Options
    The youtube compilation of the end of Dragonfeenys run was a great watch. She made it to 302, and spent like the last 7 or so levels at around 3 lives. The pressure got intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVxLg6rDXJU

She was one damn level behind Ryu too.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I didn't make this level, it's just random one I ran across in Expert Endless, but it so super impressed me with its combination of theming, optional exploration, and tight level design that I had to share it.

Interstellar Adventure
    DY9-H55-VCG

It doesn't use low gravity but even still it's probably the best "space" themed level I've seen in MM2. It is a delight.

Gundi on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Made another level.

20Y-YGS-DXG

Race with a buzzy beetle shell to the end. I intended to make this require speed and a few somewhat precise mechanics. The bomb jump is probably the hardest bit because of the timing (make sure you hit the ceiling on your first bounce off the bob-omb; the coins are there to guide).

I set a 20s timer on the level to limit myself in scope and I knew if I wanted some harder bits like the bomb jump, I'd want a short level so I wouldn't frustrate myself.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It was a dark and stormy night when the Goombas came. They caught us off-guard. One hero ran outside to fend them off, while the rest of us just tried to keep the airships afloat. To this day I have no idea where the gunners were aiming...

Challenge #3
    Maker: Alysandria (The Sauce)
    Course: Guardian of the Sky
    Code: S5V-1G2-WCG

Autoscroll is pretty perplexing to me outside of shmups, so I wanted to try something a little different. How can you design an interesting course around a scroll that goes up and down, up and down?

Here's my crack at that. Dunno how competitive it is for the challenge, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Here was my attempt for the Tool Assist level of the previous challenge.

The way of the Thwomp:

QGW-MSH-7HF

Help the Thwomps with redecorating their shiny new cave!
    By breaking it down brick for brick.

You have to traverse a small puzzle maze twice to obtain a powerup that helps you find the (secret) exit.

I still want to decorate the level a bit more, especially the secret path and the endpole, but maybe you guys want to playtest it for me to see if you cannot break the actual level?

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options

I mean, i'm not complaining! I'm really glad my levels are bringing such joy to speedrun.

@Kai_San Agreed on 3d World courses being so much fun to speed run - I'm working on another one as a palette cleanser now. Cat Mario, Airship theme, Skiqsqueaks (get it?) and Cat-Dives.

Trying to figure out what makes 3d world feel so good to speed run for me - i think it's the combo of the long jump, spin jump, wall jumps etc - there's enough different movement techniques that flow really naturally into one another.

Its all the movement abilities yeah. Also because they just kind of feel more open.

Long jump and spin jump are very nice additions to sidescrolling mario. It adds so much style.

Catsuit Crash Course
    241-BDB-HFG

Easier than my previous speed runs, i believe. Gonna be interested to see what people pull off - there's some attempts at providing laternate routes.

Worth noting: You will def need to use Cat Dives, Spin Jumps and Long Jumps to get through this optimally. And probably at all. I'm not sure if you can even complete it without the catsuit (if someone can, let me know!)

I finally got a chance to play and give this a shot. Its great. Reminds me of a Sonic level with the multi tiers of paths.

I was able to do most of it without the Cat Suit because I kept losing it while exploring. In fact my time involves a part without it. Gonna sit on the vid for a bit to let other people come up with routes though.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Catsuit Crash Course
    241-BDB-HFG

I finally got a chance to play and give this a shot. Its great. Reminds me of a Sonic level with the multi tiers of paths.

I was able to do most of it without the Cat Suit because I kept losing it while exploring. In fact my time involves a part without it. Gonna sit on the vid for a bit to let other people come up with routes though.

Getting home and finding this comment made me ridiculously happy. Thank you! Can't wait to see the Vid and how other people route this

Working on another 3d world level - This one is called Bounding Bully Bounce. Bullys are very fun to make mario bounce off, and you can get some interesting momentum shifts (like converting mostly horizontal momentum into nearly entirely vertical by hitting a bully). Gonna be more of a single path level this time, but i definitely want to do more multi-route stages. They're just a bit of a nightmare to design (So far my instinct is to generally make he highest route the fastest/but hardest, so if you fall you have safer, slower routes? Stuff to work on... Ye gods and little fishes, i love this game)

I kinda have the idea of a stage where there's multiple pipes along it that let you switch between two entirely different sections, that could be really fun to do.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    There. I finally did it. Completed my first real level. I didn't like Rat Race much anyway. Concept didn't pan out.

But this one, I love it. It is a sequel to a level I made in SMM1 that was one of my better and definitely most unique ones. I think it turned out well. I also am super proud of the secret room I threw in there.

So here you go. Please give it a shot and let me know what you think. Not much of a speedrun level, which is something close to ironic I guess?

On Rails 2: Come Rail Away
    646-RTL-5RF

Just play it and you will understand.

Edit: Thanks The Zombie Penguin, the code was wrong. I somehow mixed up RTL

Kai_San on
  • Options
    There. I finally did it. Completed my first real level. I didn't like Rat Race much anyway. Concept didn't pan out.

But this one, I love it. It is a sequel to a level I made in SMM1 that was one of my better and definitely most unique ones. I think it turned out well. I also am super proud of the secret room I threw in there.

So here you go. Please give it a shot and let me know what you think. Not much of a speedrun level, which is something close to ironic I guess?

On Rails 2: Come Rail Away
    646-TRL-5RF

Just play it and you will understand.

I'm getting Course or Maker not found. Which makes very sad!

• Options
    Oof no one has been able to finish it yet. I didn’t think it was all that hard but I know it’s not easy either. My kids both could pass the first screen 😕

• Options
    Oof no one has been able to finish it yet. I didn’t think it was all that hard but I know it’s not easy either. My kids both could pass the first screen 😕

I got past the first screen just fine, but that second screen is brutal - i was making a good effort of it, but got a bit frustrated and decided i'd come back later, rather than finish it in a sour mood and give you shitty feedback. Main issue with the second screen is it's just very long, and capable of suddenly and instantly killing you with very little warning. I like the course a lot, overall, just maybe the vertical segment needs to be broken up?

It's a very cool course though, and i'm totally stealing some of the ideas in it!

• Options
    Any particular spot, or just the walls in general? I know that getting hit by walls is one of the rougher aspects and I tried to avoid it, but the level became boring without anything to traverse. I could prolly stand to give more space to maneuver though.

Is the issue not knowing when to go up and when to hang back? I could see that at the mushroom block and maybe the end, but for the most part playing it safe is a good way to go.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I agree the vertical bit is much easier if you take it slow. You build up a lot of time when traversing the X shaped walls so you can just let the bullet bills spawn one at a time.

No one tried my level yet? Got two randoms giving up at the first Thwomp section and I know it's not that hard?

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!