Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Mario Maker 2] Now with 100% more slopes and Luigi!

1373839404143»

Posts

  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Anyway, I whipped up a course for the challenge real quick.

    Castle in the Sky
    CXK-WWV-9QF

    No gizmos means you gotta keep it simple. So this is just a basic vertical platforming level without too many enemies. I don’t think the jumps are too hard as they are mostly on 2 wide platforms (this is definitely not a Getting Over It clone). But as you get higher, any missed jump does mean you potentially fall that much further. Basically it’s Mario at its simplest, running and jumping.

    KizmittAh_Pook
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Registered User regular
    I finished Multitudinous Mayhem

    Ironically, it'd ALMOST qualify for @The Sauce contest... but Icles are a gizmo, for some reason so that's a nope. Still! Hella proud of this, and i cannot wait to see what you all do with trying to speed run it.

    305-3WG-NFF

    I got a casual 29s clear without even really trying in the process of clearing, so when people are seriously routing it? Whooboy. Dis gonna be good.

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    WACriminalAh_Pook
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    For @The Sauce consideration:

    Way of The Thwomp 2: ants in the pants

    Thwomps castle got a bad case of ants, and it's up to you to get rid of all 25!

    Also, while you are busy, redecorate the place a tiny bit, alright?

    Levelcode: 9MT-729-NXF

    Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

    Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

    See my profile here!
    MNC Dover
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback on my dumb pick a pipe level :)

    I made a new level where you don't have to pick any pipes! The original plan was to make an upside down versus level, but then I just made an upside down level instead. it's some tricky platforming! Thematically youre climbing down/up through the center of the world. I think it's a significantly more playable level than my first one heh. It took me a long time to upload 0_0 the last bit got a little out of hand, but that's what happens when you're making a level at 3am. feedback appreciated!

    Ascent/Descent
    TMC-S99-WVG

    Oh my goodness the upside down just wrecks my brain. I really dig the level even though I haven’t finished it yet. I can get to the first small orange cannon pretty consistently, but I have yet to make it past them. How much longer is the level? I feel I am closer to the beginning than the end unfortunately.

    I do want to go back and beat this though.

    Ah_Pook
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited August 14
    NOTHING TO SEE HERE

    WACriminal on
    MNC Dover
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    And of course AFTER hours of design and testing and upload, I realize how I could have made the last section more creative. Fuck me. :lol:

    webguy20
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 14
    WACriminal wrote: »
    And of course AFTER hours of design and testing and upload, I realize how I could have made the last section more creative. Fuck me. :lol:

    It’s late. Quickly remove your post, edit the course, and re-upload it. No one will know the difference.

    MNC Dover on
    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    WACriminalAlphagaia
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited August 14
    Challenge #5: Back To Basics
    "Unfortunate Son" -- An Explanation Of Privilege
    b42qqjcbpodk.jpg

    DISREGARD LEVEL CODE IN SCREENSHOT. Revised level code is: 044-HWK-HPG

    @The Sauce

    WACriminal on
    Alphagaia
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I can understand why they'd block it, but is there any way to upload a stage that was built using another one of my stages as a base (Specifically I wanted to do a hard mode version)

    On that note. It could probably use another pass but I'd appreciate feedback on "Slay The Sun" SG7-PF5-QKF

    Climb the tower, Kill the sun. I'm hoping I've managed to keep it in the sweet spot of being hard but not unreasonable (I'm saving that for the Hard Mode)

  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    I can understand why they'd block it, but is there any way to upload a stage that was built using another one of my stages as a base (Specifically I wanted to do a hard mode version)

    On that note. It could probably use another pass but I'd appreciate feedback on "Slay The Sun" SG7-PF5-QKF

    Climb the tower, Kill the sun. I'm hoping I've managed to keep it in the sweet spot of being hard but not unreasonable (I'm saving that for the Hard Mode)

    If you didn’t save a backup copy before you uploaded, I think you will have to rebuild block by block?

    AbsoluteZero
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback on my dumb pick a pipe level :)

    I made a new level where you don't have to pick any pipes! The original plan was to make an upside down versus level, but then I just made an upside down level instead. it's some tricky platforming! Thematically youre climbing down/up through the center of the world. I think it's a significantly more playable level than my first one heh. It took me a long time to upload 0_0 the last bit got a little out of hand, but that's what happens when you're making a level at 3am. feedback appreciated!

    Ascent/Descent
    TMC-S99-WVG

    Oh my goodness the upside down just wrecks my brain. I really dig the level even though I haven’t finished it yet. I can get to the first small orange cannon pretty consistently, but I have yet to make it past them. How much longer is the level? I feel I am closer to the beginning than the end unfortunately.

    I do want to go back and beat this though.

    There's a checkpoint right after that, then a nasty but short section, then it's over. You're almost there! Thanks for checking it out :)

    Ah_Pook on
    Pancho needs your prayers it's true
    But save a few for Lefty too
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    I liked the premise and the platform sections, but the thing I miss at your level @Ah_Pook is a little warm up that let's one get a little bit used to the controlls in a safe place before you have to make timed jumps on cannonballs with death as the penalty.

    I think it wouldn't be so bad if you closed the pit off, as it would make for a quicker restart.

    Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

    Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

    See my profile here!
    Ah_Pook
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    I liked the premise and the platform sections, but the thing I miss at your level @Ah_Pook is a little warm up that let's one get a little bit used to the controlls in a safe place before you have to make timed jumps on cannonballs with death as the penalty.

    I think it wouldn't be so bad if you closed the pit off, as it would make for a quicker restart.

    The safe space is the first couple platforms and jumps up to the cannonball jump platform. There's not a great way to acclimate yourself to the awful upside down business aside from just doing it. The pit is necessary in case you fall way down from the top and need a quick way to kill yourself back to the checkpoint without scrounging around for a turtle. Adding tension to the first jumps is a bonus imo. I had a checkpoint right at the beginning so you didn't have to redo the first room when you died, but during testing it was way too easy to CP1 yourself falling down from the top of the level... Which is funny but not really what I was going for ;)

    Edit: if any of y'all get there I'm really curious how parseable/doable the last bit with the thwomps is. I think it's a cool section but also I know how to do it so yknow. Thanks again for the feedback y'all.

    Ah_Pook on
    Pancho needs your prayers it's true
    But save a few for Lefty too
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular


    Some of these global timer devices are really interesting. Definitely going to have to create some levels using these mechanics! But, like, not evil terrible levels.

    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    WACriminalAh_Pook
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback on my dumb pick a pipe level :)

    I made a new level where you don't have to pick any pipes! The original plan was to make an upside down versus level, but then I just made an upside down level instead. it's some tricky platforming! Thematically youre climbing down/up through the center of the world. I think it's a significantly more playable level than my first one heh. It took me a long time to upload 0_0 the last bit got a little out of hand, but that's what happens when you're making a level at 3am. feedback appreciated!

    Ascent/Descent
    TMC-S99-WVG

    Sorry, upside down precision platforming is too advanced for my skillset. I could barely make it past the second koopa.

    Kizmitt on
    Ah_Pook
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 14
    I found some stuff I didn't like with the thwomp BS at the end, so I reuploaded if y'all wanna take more cracks at it. Feedback is as always greatly appreciated.

    Ascent/Descent v1.2
    "Which way is up at the center of the world? Keep climbing, Mario!"

    ID: D03-FHN-R5G

    Ah_Pook on
    Pancho needs your prayers it's true
    But save a few for Lefty too
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I found some stuff I didn't like with the thwomp BS at the end, so I reuploaded if y'all wanna take more cracks at it. Feedback is as always greatly appreciated.

    Ascent/Descent v1.2
    "Which way is up at the center of the world? Keep climbing, Mario!"

    ID: D03-FHN-R5G

    I just spent a little bit of time and I was able to get past the orange cannons but while I was celebrating, I failed to notice the thwomp on a parachute coming for me. I definitely want to finish this level and I will try to tonight. This is definitely a tough level and I am into the mechanic of the theme. If this was right side up I would probably cruise through it with minimal challenge but the upside down mechanic is definitely testing my Mario muscle memory.

    Ah_Pook
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, I noticed my level is getting speedrunned. How does the thread like it?

    I feel like wanting to put a boss at the end, but that might make it too annoying if you die.

    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

    Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

    See my profile here!
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I noticed my level is getting speedrunned. How does the thread like it?

    I feel like wanting to put a boss at the end, but that might make it too annoying if you die.

    Did you know you can camp on the top at the end and get ten easy kills? Unintentional cheese?

    Alphagaia
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I found some stuff I didn't like with the thwomp BS at the end, so I reuploaded if y'all wanna take more cracks at it. Feedback is as always greatly appreciated.

    Ascent/Descent v1.2
    "Which way is up at the center of the world? Keep climbing, Mario!"

    ID: D03-FHN-R5G

    [ThatEscalatedQuickly.jpg]

    Not gonna lie, it’s a hard level. It is well built and fair, but challenging. Working your way through the level is tough, but every action you take is pretty obvious in what you need to do. Then you get to the end and it starts moving into that Kaizo territory where you need to play and die a few times to figure out where to move and jump.

    Took me over half an hour but I got it. Not sure I would play it again to even lower my time because there really isn’t a guarantee that I would lower it by that much since I would still die a lot. I did like the level, but it is definitely not a level for everyone.

    Ah_Pook
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Ha yea, the bit after the checkpoint went a little off the rails difficulty wise compared to what I had originally planned. But that good good 3am inspiration came in and said... Why not this though? But I thought it came together into a neat section once you figure it out and get through it. I like the input confusion the upside down state gives you for crumbling dry bones and going into pipes under pressure. It was originally all thwomps but I ran into some situations where they would trigger unreliably and block each other other in ways that broke the level, so I went back in and changed some to icicles etc. RIP giant thwomp at the end, you live on in my heart.

    World record 30+ minutes anyone wanna beat it? :)

    Thanks for playing! Upside down mario is such a kick in the brain.

    Pancho needs your prayers it's true
    But save a few for Lefty too
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Well, I went from having absolutely no inspiration for this week's course to having a bunch of great ideas in the span of an evening. Expect a course on time!

    AlphagaiaWACriminalThe Sauce
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I noticed my level is getting speedrunned. How does the thread like it?

    I feel like wanting to put a boss at the end, but that might make it too annoying if you die.

    Did you know you can camp on the top at the end and get ten easy kills? Unintentional cheese?

    I noticed it after uploading! I wanted some fluff at the end and I don't think most players will notice, but it wasn't intended, so I'm still debating if I will remove it.

    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

    Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

    See my profile here!
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Just had to log off of multiplayer for the night because, well...

    ...so it was one of those levels where all 4 players have identical copies of an obstacle course that they need to traverse. For some reason, Luigi came into mine with me instead of taking his own. Not ideal, but nothing I can really do about it, right?

    I was doing pretty well. Race started off tight and had some swings, but about 2/3 of the way through I had a solid lead. Luigi was just following along behind me, I figured he'd try to make a savvy leapfrog maneuver at the end. Then I got to an obstacle that worked like this:

    1) Fall to the bottom of the current section
    2) Climb a vine back to the top
    3) Using the mushroom you collected in the previous section, spin-jump to break through a column of bricks to get to the next section.

    So I started the spin-jump, got about halfway down the column, and...Luigi jumped in under me. He wasn't trying to get ahead, you understand -- we only had the one mushroom, so he couldn't break the blocks himself. He was just standing under me, letting me bounce ineffectually off his head while the other two players overtook us, nothing but mirthless sadism glittering in his eyes. There wasn't enough ground for both of us to stand on, so I couldn't even pick him up and move him out of my way.

    After several bounces, he moved out of my way and I finished off the column, but it was far too late. We both entered the final pipe to return to the main world just as the game announced that Toad had reached the goal.

    What I wanted to say was, "Burn in the deepest circle of hell and remember this moment for eternity, thou dead-eyed betrayer."

    The chat message I sent was, "Teamwork!"

    Ah_PookDjiemAbsoluteZeroThe SaucecrimsoncoyoteMNC Doverwebguy20
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    They need a "Collusion!" message.
    ... Only because Nintendo would never allow "Asshole!"

  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I had to rage log off multiplayer last night too. It was a bad level where you had to get to the bottom of a bunch of bullshit, get a mushroom, then backtrack back up through all the bullshit staying big and get to the goal. The clear condition was you had to be big. A guy was way behind and decided to just hang out at the top trying to knock people into spikes right before the goal and it was endlessly infuriating.

    Pancho needs your prayers it's true
    But save a few for Lefty too
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong My lit AF posts will leave you shook Registered User regular
    Once I sat down to make a course with no gizmos, I was struck with the inspiration to use a million of them but have them be non-functional. It's actually pretty evocative after playing a lot of courses bustling with lively stuff on tracks. But since it doesn't fit the theme I won't submit it.

    A large portion of it has the gimmick of a nighttime ghost house with On/Offs set permanently to off, and needing to use a fireflower and enemies to feel your way around. You're working your way downward though dark, twisty passages towards a master On switch.

    The emphasis is on making this sort of gameplay fun and gratifying rather than frustrating. Hopefully I can succeed at that. I want to finish it tonight.

    Also, it's got a great name: Power's Out Flowers Out

    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    Ah_PookWACriminal
  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    When is the level due? End of day Saturday?

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Alphagaia
  • The SauceThe Sauce Fleur de Alys Registered User regular
    End of day Sunday.

    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Ah_Pookwebguy20Alphagaia
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    End of day Sunday.

    Great, I have decided to add a easy but (hopefully) fun bossfight and change the ending so you cannot 'cheat'.

    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

    Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

    See my profile here!
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited 3:44AM
    So I was on vacation all week, but when I saw the theme for this one I knew exactly what I had to do.

    Been meaning to make this level for a while and hopefully the rest of the set I would like to do. It was almost perfectly non-gizmo already. One minor edit to the idea which I think worked out anyway.

    Challenge #5: Back to Basics
    GGG : Mirthful Meadows
    4D7-FX8-NYF

    Its a coin collection course with options. I originally wanted to spread out the main path but it ended up not working that way. So pretty much if you take the straightforward way you should finish fine, but need to get every coin you see. But there are plenty of options you may need to work to get to that are more rewarding. I think that could lend itself well to speedrunning, though I have no idea what the ideal path would be.

    Oh and also, while I don't really expect anyone to find it, there is a SUPER secret way to break the level and find a hidden room. Might be one of the best ones yet I did. It takes a lot of effort and its not going to get you anything other than being able to say "found it!". But I challenge anyone willing to try to figure that one out. I still don't think the one I had in On Rails was found and that was a simple one.

    Kai_San at
    MNC DoverAlphagaia
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    So I was on vacation all week, but when I saw the theme for this one I knew exactly what I had to do.

    Been meaning to make this level for a while and hopefully the rest of the set I would like to do. It was almost perfectly non-gizmo already. One minor edit to the idea which I think worked out anyway.

    Challenge #5: Back to Basics
    GGG : Mirthful Meadows
    4D7-FX8-NYF

    Its a coin collection course with options. I originally wanted to spread out the main path but it ended up not working that way. So pretty much if you take the straightforward way you should finish fine, but need to get every coin you see. But there are plenty of options you may need to work to get to that are more rewarding. I think that could lend itself well to speedrunning, though I have no idea what the ideal path would be.

    Oh and also, while I don't really expect anyone to find it, there is a SUPER secret way to break the level and find a hidden room. Might be one of the best ones yet I did. It takes a lot of effort and its not going to get you anything other than being able to say "found it!". But I challenge anyone willing to try to figure that one out. I still don't think the one I had in On Rails was found and that was a simple one.

    Beat it! Took me a couple of tries though - the first time i timed out due to getting stuck and not being able to get any coins.

    A+ for theming and aesthetics, it's a great looking stage. I found the hidden 1 up mushroom too.

    That said, i think your extra routes are WAY too tight to get to. Given how gentle the rest of the course is, they're brutal - i could not land a single one of them =(. Which with the timer ticking down and the coins to find... not the best play experience. I dont think you need to make ALL of them easier, but i think a range of skill required to get them would be good. There's also a few jumps it's super unclear if i'm meant to be able to get them (getting to the Middle pipe in the first section without taking the roof looks like it's doable, but kept slamming my head. the ten coin in the final section is another case where it LOOKS like it should be doable, but is not).

    Some clarity on those sections would be good as well - Arrows to point to where options exist, perhaps.

    (Also i'm also doing a coin collection course for this challange, so great minds think alike. I love we took ours in totally different directions though)

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Look, I'm not proud of this except I'm a little proud of it.

    Was playing some Multiplayer VS tonight. I was in the 1900 range, right on the edge of ranking up to B-tier. Hit a "Short and Sweet" Japanese level that worked as follows:

    1) Clear condition: "Kill all 25 Spinies"
    2) All 25 spinies are near the start, with a star-dispensing block immediately above the starting line.
    3) After killing all the spinies, you must cross a long bridge of falling icicles and jump onto a platform which will then ferry you across a gap.
    4) After crossing the gap, race under a line of Thwomps directly to the goal.

    So it becomes clear pretty quickly that the challenge here is not beating the level, but holding onto the clear condition long enough to reach the goal without getting it stolen from you. So Toadette gets the clear condition. Mario immediately votes, "Let's start over!" in a pretty sour-grapes move.

    Then, for some reason, Toadette falls off the moving platform into the pit.

    Predictably, chaos ensues as everybody tries to grab the clear condition bubble atop an ever-disappearing bridge of icicles. Of course, the platform is long gone now, so we're all just fighting while waiting for it to respawn.

    Except, it never does respawn? Not sure where it went, but if it ever came back I certainly didn't see it. Toad votes, "Let's start over!" but Toadette and I don't agree, so the vote just sits at 50% as the battle rages on. Finally, Mario manages to execute a pretty brilliant maneuver that lets him steal the clear condition and bounce off the original holder's head, allowing him just enough height to clear the gap, going out into the lands beyond, where none of us yet know what awaits. We all watched his indicator land, unharmed, just around ground level beyond our vision.

    It is at this time that I remembered 3 facts:
    1) This level is "short and sweet", so Mario is probably about to win.
    2) The restart vote is still sitting at 50%. Normally, this wouldn't mean anything to me, because I'm not one to manipulate mechanics like that to cheat anyone else out of a win. Except...
    3) Mario was the first to vote for restart, and he did so immediately upon someone else gaining the clear condition. Which is a pretty dick move, if you think about it.

    So as quickly as I could, I opened the menu and put in the third vote for reset. As we waited for the opening countdown to begin our second attempt, Mario butt-stomped me twice. Toad and Toadette didn't seem too bothered, strangely enough.

    Anyway, I'm B-tier now. Turns out if you grab a star and get a running start, you can get about as much distance as if you bounce off someone's head.

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Registered User regular
    @The Sauce I have for you... a level!


    Challange #5: Back to Basics.
    Course Name: Crashelm Castle Caverns
    ID: XBJ-CT3-2NG

    Description: Please wear your safety shell at all times.

    Took an old course idea i had and reworked and polished it into something worth submitting. Was a good exericse in learning just how far you can push level design while not touching gizmos (Answer: Surprisngly far. Turns out Gizmos are a very arbitrary description <.<)

    Hope you all enjoy!

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Look, I'm not proud of this except I'm a little proud of it.

    Was playing some Multiplayer VS tonight. I was in the 1900 range, right on the edge of ranking up to B-tier. Hit a "Short and Sweet" Japanese level that worked as follows:

    1) Clear condition: "Kill all 25 Spinies"
    2) All 25 spinies are near the start, with a star-dispensing block immediately above the starting line.
    3) After killing all the spinies, you must cross a long bridge of falling icicles and jump onto a platform which will then ferry you across a gap.
    4) After crossing the gap, race under a line of Thwomps directly to the goal.

    So it becomes clear pretty quickly that the challenge here is not beating the level, but holding onto the clear condition long enough to reach the goal without getting it stolen from you. So Toadette gets the clear condition. Mario immediately votes, "Let's start over!" in a pretty sour-grapes move.

    Then, for some reason, Toadette falls off the moving platform into the pit.

    Predictably, chaos ensues as everybody tries to grab the clear condition bubble atop an ever-disappearing bridge of icicles. Of course, the platform is long gone now, so we're all just fighting while waiting for it to respawn.

    Except, it never does respawn? Not sure where it went, but if it ever came back I certainly didn't see it. Toad votes, "Let's start over!" but Toadette and I don't agree, so the vote just sits at 50% as the battle rages on. Finally, Mario manages to execute a pretty brilliant maneuver that lets him steal the clear condition and bounce off the original holder's head, allowing him just enough height to clear the gap, going out into the lands beyond, where none of us yet know what awaits. We all watched his indicator land, unharmed, just around ground level beyond our vision.

    It is at this time that I remembered 3 facts:
    1) This level is "short and sweet", so Mario is probably about to win.
    2) The restart vote is still sitting at 50%. Normally, this wouldn't mean anything to me, because I'm not one to manipulate mechanics like that to cheat anyone else out of a win. Except...
    3) Mario was the first to vote for restart, and he did so immediately upon someone else gaining the clear condition. Which is a pretty dick move, if you think about it.

    So as quickly as I could, I opened the menu and put in the third vote for reset. As we waited for the opening countdown to begin our second attempt, Mario butt-stomped me twice. Toad and Toadette didn't seem too bothered, strangely enough.

    Anyway, I'm B-tier now. Turns out if you grab a star and get a running start, you can get about as much distance as if you bounce off someone's head.

    Sounds like an awful time. All around. With everyone being dicks.

    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
Sign In or Register to comment.