As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario Maker 2] Final update on 4/22! Frog Suit! Overworld creator! And More!

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    So one thing that I noticed is that when they first showed off 3D World mode, it was under a section called "Extra Game Modes", but it was the only one with an empty space next to it. Maybe SMB2 will be an extra mode?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    So one thing that I noticed is that when they first showed off 3D World mode, it was under a section called "Extra Game Modes", but it was the only one with an empty space next to it. Maybe SMB2 will be an extra mode?
    Or Sunshine, Odyssey, and any other Mario game that has a unique enough gameplay gimmick (that can also transition to side-scrolling).

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Yeah there is definitely some sort of DLC roadmap for this thing. It's the perfect genre for that sort of thing, just keep releasing new content packs (free to play, purchase to build with) like you would release new Lego sets and shit.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Or Sunshine, Odyssey, and any other Mario game that has a unique enough gameplay gimmick (that can also transition to side-scrolling).

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I wonder if they plan dlc for those new styles.

Give me Wario Maker.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Dissappearing/Reappearing blocks + fireflowers + megaman Amiibo = basically megaman

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Also, Mario 2 won't make appearance, imo, but Mario Land levels with the GB asthetic is probably super do-able.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    A lot of the tools that are new I've seen a lot in romhacks of SMW. Nintendo is leaning pretty hard on the "GOOD IDEA" thing there.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lack of connected worlds is still disappointing, but not surprising.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    So while I'm disappointed that there's no tag for Kaizo type levels specifically, someone did bring up a good point - maybe you can only give levels a single tag. Looking at what was available, that seems pretty reasonable and it would mean the Kaizo stuff would likely fall into the "Speedrun" category.

Edit - We saw the following tags for the record:
    - Standard
    - Puzzle-solving
    - Speedrun
    - Autoscroll
    - Auto-Mario
    - Short and sweet
    - Multiplayer Versus
    - Themed
    - Music
    - None

Henroid on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I am very impressed

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    A lot of the tools that are new I've seen a lot in romhacks of SMW. Nintendo is leaning pretty hard on the "GOOD IDEA" thing there.

I wish more devs would do this, honestly. There's so many good ideas out there.

It would be nice if they did it in a way that somehow supported the people who originally had the ideas, but I'm not really sure that's entirely feasible in a scenario like romhack community developments.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

It would be nice if they did it in a way that somehow supported the people who originally had the ideas, but I'm not really sure that's entirely feasible in a scenario like romhack community developments.
    Giving people jobs (that aren't starter-level pay) would be a good place to start.

• Options
    edited May 2019

Giving people jobs (that aren't starter-level pay) would be a good place to start.

This is true, but not everybody working on romhacks wants a career in game development.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    I have a pretty good idea for a 4-player Mario Kart level if you can choose where each player spawns.

Hmm.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I’ll still probably pass on MM2 (quickly tired of the first one) but the single player stuff does have my interest. Goes a long way to address what I viewed as the game’s biggest problem (Nintendo Switch Online requirement).

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I have a pretty good idea for a 4-player Mario Kart level if you can choose where each player spawns.

Hmm.

Concept: One person races across the level, while the other person stays in a "control room" with P-switches, On/Off blocks, etc. to make sure the first player actually has something to stand on at all times.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I am hype fam. Watched direct with the 4yo and he is also way hype.

I was gonna be all “eh, pass” on the 2-voucher deal but then I remembered Animal Crossing is this year too. *thinking*

Hey, in the first one could you make mario perma-invincible?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »
    I am hype fam. Watched direct with the 4yo and he is also way hype.

I was gonna be all “eh, pass” on the 2-voucher deal but then I remembered Animal Crossing is this year too. *thinking*

Hey, in the first one could you make mario perma-invincible?
    Insofar as you could litter the stage with stars.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    This game is going to make me hate the Switch screen, isn’t it?

Is there gonna be a way to mirror the video to the TV, or is all “making” gonna be fingers (or stylus?) on screen?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    This game is going to make me hate the Switch screen, isn’t it?

Is there gonna be a way to mirror the video to the TV, or is all “making” gonna be fingers (or stylus?) on screen?

They showed coop building using the joycons, so I assume there's always a docked building option. But if you can find a stylus that works with the screen, thats obviously an option.

I'm a little worried that theres still going to be a gigantic curation problem, even with tagging. The 'fuck you' levels are only going to get more grandiose in complexity with the new mechanics. Which I am not against, but I think its going to go too far very quickly.

I am curious how they are going to rank people in the endless mode when someone could get 15 'stand in place' levels in a row and someone gets 'fuck you' levels for the first one, 15 times in a row.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The cursor seemed to move pretty fast, and block placement was relative - watch how it placed the tubes and kind of figured out what you wanted.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    We saw the following tags for the record:
    - Short and sweet
    Hm. Now I'm curious: is it possible to make a satisfying Mario level that fits in a single screen? (I don't know what constitutes "satisfying" here, but you know.) Is the resolution too small, and you can't fit enough stuff on there to make it interesting?

What's the smallest number of screens that you need to make a player go "Hm!"?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    - Short and sweet
    Hm. Now I'm curious: is it possible to make a satisfying Mario level that fits in a single screen? (I don't know what constitutes "satisfying" here, but you know.) Is the resolution too small, and you can't fit enough stuff on there to make it interesting?

There are a lot of single screen puzzle levels out there.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    - Short and sweet

There are a lot of single screen puzzle levels out there.
    I've seen some clever ones, and I've seen some dumb-as-shit ones that give you 10 seconds to clip through bouncing spring piles.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    - Short and sweet

I’ve seen Carl Sagan run a bunch of single screen puzzle rooms that are really interesting (trolly but interesting)

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    The cursor seemed to move pretty fast, and block placement was relative - watch how it placed the tubes and kind of figured out what you wanted.

I'm guessing it's gyro pointers with the joy cons.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Ah! I never played the original Mario Maker, so didn't know people not only had this idea already but even executed on it. Cool!

• Options
    Also, styli for capacitive touch screens (i.e. every smartphone and stuff like the vita or the switch) are a dime a dozen.

Please note that I'm employing an idiomatic expression to denote a low price to an item. They are not, in fact, ten cents for a dozen units.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    So now we're conflating using idioms and giving factually incorrect information?

• Options
    are we

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Hmm.

Concept: One person races across the level, while the other person stays in a "control room" with P-switches, On/Off blocks, etc. to make sure the first player actually has something to stand on at all times.

FOLLOW-UP THOUGHTS: The goal is actually at the start of the level, but there's a clear condition something like "kill 1 Goomba" and the only Goomba is at the far end of the map, so the racer has to cross the level twice. In addition, the player in the "control room" actually has a few different control rooms linked by doors or warp blocks so they can do stuff like drop POWs in different sections of the race track, drop power-ups through clear pipes to the racer, etc.

I think the clear conditions are going to open up a lot of design space.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    So while I'm disappointed that there's no tag for Kaizo type levels specifically, someone did bring up a good point - maybe you can only give levels a single tag.

That's a category, not a tag.

I don't put it past Nintendo to do that, but its semantic malpractice.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I hope we get null win conditions, like "Collect 0 coins" or "Kill 0 enemies" to make some fun, muscle memory burning stages.

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    I hope we get null win conditions, like "Collect 0 coins" or "Kill 0 enemies" to make some fun, muscle memory burning stages.
    I never played New Super Mario Bros but it supposedly had some sort of "no touch challenge" built into it (or so I was told when the Game Grumps did a self-imposed "no touch challenge" for Super Mario Bros 3).

If it's true then they can totally put it into Mario Maker 2.

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    I never played New Super Mario Bros but it supposedly had some sort of "no touch challenge" built into it (or so I was told when the Game Grumps did a self-imposed "no touch challenge" for Super Mario Bros 3).

If it's true then they can totally put it into Mario Maker 2.

There's definitely a "take no damage" win condition in SMM2. Not quite the same thing, but still potentially interesting.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I really still have no faith that quality levels will be any easier to find this time around. Playing the first game, you would think simply playing the highest rated levels would be enough to ensure you had a good time. But people loved upvoting anything they thought was clever, regardless of whether or not it was fun to play.

I really hope I'm wrong though.

• Options
    The problem is "fun" doesn't come with a universally accepted set of parameters when it comes to video games.

Some people want Kaizo. Some people want Auto-Mario. Some people want puzzles. Some people want something that actually feels like a legit Mario Bros stage.

None of them are wrong for any of those. The tags on levels should help out in MM2 at least.

• Options
    The problem is "fun" doesn't come with a universally accepted set of parameters when it comes to video games.

Some people want Kaizo. Some people want Auto-Mario. Some people want puzzles. Some people want something that actually feels like a legit Mario Bros stage.

None of them are wrong for any of those. The tags on levels should help out in MM2 at least.

I think, if anything, this is a really good argument for building sub-communities like this thread where preferences and curation can take place. I expect there will be very little Kaizo talk in this thread, for example, but lots of "fun, unique gameplay combo" levels.

I need to start drawing out level designs.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Man those cranes are gonna make my mine levels so cool.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.