As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    This is going to probably garner some hatred but whatevs:

The only early Castlevanias I actually played were Simon's Quest and the first GBA one.

Other than Simon's Quest, which is kind of Metroidvaniaesqueish, are any of the games in the collection Metroidvaniaesqueish? Because I kind of don't really care for non-Metroidvaniaesqueish Castlevania games.

No, the ones in this collection are platformers like the Mega Man games. Go and buy Hollow Knight for a Metroidvania fix.

Yeah I still need to finish that. I think I'm on one of the last bosses via the Switch, but I suck and it's sitting there, unfinished.

I may buy this just for Simon's Quest since I never did finish it.

Maybe just to make Simon jump in the water over and over and over for sake of nostalgia.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

The only early Castlevanias I actually played were Simon's Quest and the first GBA one.

Other than Simon's Quest, which is kind of Metroidvaniaesqueish, are any of the games in the collection Metroidvaniaesqueish? Because I kind of don't really care for non-Metroidvaniaesqueish Castlevania games.

No, the ones in this collection are platformers like the Mega Man games. Go and buy Hollow Knight for a Metroidvania fix.

Yeah I still need to finish that. I think I'm on one of the last bosses via the Switch, but I suck and it's sitting there, unfinished.

Maybe just to make Simon jump in the water over and over and over for sake of nostalgia.

What a horrible night for a Drez.

• redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    I feel like Poland and other near Russian countries deserve a different designation to "western" countries like France and Germany. The cultures and mythologies are very extremely different!

There is western, eastern, northern, and southern Europe and they are all distinct. Even then you have regions like Balkan, or Scandanavia. If you want to get more specific you have quasi regions which are more ethnic, like Slavic Europe.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

I'm just sitting here shocked that anybody would buy this game for, and have fond memories of, Simons quest. Man I hated that game as a kid.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I didn't play the Castlevania games as a kid; I only got to play them emulated in the early 2000s, and not even all of them, but enough so that I knew I loved them, some more than others.

It made me realize I don't actually enjoy the "stage based" entries, but am much more invested in the Metroidvania entries, and that includes Castlevania II.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've always loved Castlevania 2 even though we weren't able to beat it legit. It was obtuse in its route but a lot of other games were too (people often speak as though Castlevania 2 is the only game in existence to have that going on).

At the very least the game gave the series a couple of very iconic music tracks.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, Castlevania 2 isn't necessarily a good game, but it fit in well with the weirdness of its time. I liked it a lot back then, but I also had the second issue of Nintendo Power which guided you through half the game. I'm not really sure how I managed to beat the game from there, but I did. And eventually I figured out how to do it quick enough to get the best ending. Don't ask me to try doing it without a guide these days, though.

I was actually disappointed when I saw Castlevania III was going to be structured similarly to the first game because I liked the whole exploration aspect of the second one. I got over it pretty quickly, though.

SteevL on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I can't remember how we got Castlevania 3 exactly, I think it was a Christmas gift. I was too young to really look at 3 as like... a step backward. My little kid brain was just going "WOO MORE GAMES"

edited June 2019
    edit: Wrong thread.

Drez on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Yeah, Castlevania 2 isn't necessarily a good game, but it fit in well with the weirdness of its time. I liked it a lot back then, but I also had the second issue of Nintendo Power which guided you through half the game. I'm not really sure how I managed to beat the game from there, but I did. And eventually I figured out how to do it quick enough to get the best ending. Don't ask me to try doing it without a guide these days, though.

I was actually disappointed when I saw Castlevania III was going to be structured similarly to the first game because I liked the whole exploration aspect of the second one. I got over it pretty quickly, though.

Castlevania 2, like Link's Adventure, is a very cool idea with some execution problems.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    CV3 was, for me, one of the best CV games ever made. My friend ended up spending a long time beating it with every combination of routes and characters. The hardest being the Alucard path without taking Alucard.

Last month I sent him a speed runner video knocking the same path out in like 30 minutes or something. He was amused.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Castlevania 2, like Link's Adventure, is a very cool idea with some execution problems.

Some is understating it a bit imo

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Two more weeks everyone and we find out if the hype was real.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

I remember getting stuck on the kneeling at the cliff part. I don't think the game hinted at all what to do.

I also remember being perplexed by the invisible holes.

Krathoon on
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    CV3 was, for me, one of the best CV games ever made. My friend ended up spending a long time beating it with every combination of routes and characters. The hardest being the Alucard path without taking Alucard.

Last month I sent him a speed runner video knocking the same path out in like 30 minutes or something. He was amused.

There was a trick to the doppelganger boss.
    Just keep changing between characters. You can squeeze off a hit as he changes to match you.

Was there a front entrance path in CV3?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I know people are crazy about the steelbook, but this slipcover is real pretty.

ksh1tmo2m9pv.jpg

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    You can get the steel book if you order through Best Buy.

• ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that backer slipcover is pretty nice. I'm happy with it.

I have no updates or anything, just wanted to remark that THIS GAME COMES OUT IN 10 DAYS HOLY SHIT IT'S REALLY HAPPENING

I hope I like it.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Beat Rondo of Blood today. Switched to Maria as soon as I could. It feels so weird, but good, to play a Classicvania with an agile character.

Dracula's monster form looked cool, but I suspect they made it so complex that they weren't able to make an actual jumping animation for it.

Gonna clear out the alternate stages and then move on to Symphony.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I’m so torn: Steam or PS4?

I’m thinking Steam. I want this to run buttery smooth, and my PS4 ain’t a Pro.

Andy Joe wrote: »
    Beat Rondo of Blood today. Switched to Maria as soon as I could. It feels so weird, but good, to play a Classicvania with an agile character.

Dracula's monster form looked cool, but I suspect they made it so complex that they weren't able to make an actual jumping animation for it.

Gonna clear out the alternate stages and then move on to Symphony.

I'm replaying Rondo right now and working on taking down the Grim Reaper. I learned something new about this fight. During his second form, if you throw the cross at him, he raises his hand as if to catch it. Then he converts it into several projectiles that he throws back at you. Others probably know about this, but I don't remember ever seeing that before.

Are you guys playing Rondo in Castlevania Requiem?

Krathoon wrote: »
    Are you guys playing Rondo in Castlevania Requiem?

Nope! I do most of my retro gaming on my hacked SNES Classic these days.

Just an fyi piracy talk isnt allowed

Another thing I will say about Rondo: the achievements given to this game by the community are going to be a bit rougher. In particular, the "beat X boss with Richter with full health and 20 or more hearts" will take me a while.

• redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I didn't play the Castlevania games as a kid; I only got to play them emulated in the early 2000s, and not even all of them, but enough so that I knew I loved them, some more than others.

It made me realize I don't actually enjoy the "stage based" entries, but am much more invested in the Metroidvania entries, and that includes Castlevania II.[/quot

For me it's the opposite way. The exploration based ones, other than CV2, are so mind bendingly easy it's about as interactive as watching a let's play. It's not like you're ever in danger from anything. So once I've done the exploration in them and found anything I don't get anything from going back through. With the older ones though, I can keep replaying them and get tense at times because they are just mean.

And on that note, almost done with all the steam achievements on the collection!

• MaytagMaytag Registered User regular

It made me realize I don't actually enjoy the "stage based" entries, but am much more invested in the Metroidvania entries, and that includes Castlevania II.[/quot

For me it's the opposite way. The exploration based ones, other than CV2, are so mind bendingly easy it's about as interactive as watching a let's play. It's not like you're ever in danger from anything. So once I've done the exploration in them and found anything I don't get anything from going back through. With the older ones though, I can keep replaying them and get tense at times because they are just mean.

And on that note, almost done with all the steam achievements on the collection!

Try the hard modes? OoE has one of the best hard modes ever in my opinion.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

It made me realize I don't actually enjoy the "stage based" entries, but am much more invested in the Metroidvania entries, and that includes Castlevania II.

Considering almost every other game I play, I play on the easiest mode available, this may or may not indicate that those Metroidvania games are in fact almost autopilot. Honest to god I am not "good" at games. I've done level grinding and cheap exploits to beat all the bosses in Dark Souls/Dark Souls II, and that's about as far as I'll go, and it's only two games out of a rather large amount of them.

I like story and exploration, as well as solid mechanics. I'm not one to revel in difficulty. The only reason I have beaten every Dark Souls boss up to where I am in the series is spite, pure and simple. And it's frankly exhausting for me to harness the level of spite required to beat a Dark Souls game, which is why I don't play every single souls-like experience out there. Instead I'm mainly into JRPGs and Open World affairs, or games like Prey that let me "cheese" their system and pick my difficulty to make things as easy as possible. What I prefer in most gaming experiences is the times I almost died, because I find those more memorable than the times that I just died and respawned at a checkpoint or hell, died and had to restart an entire game over.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    From the Bloodstained Facebook page:
    Backer orders are being packed and shipped by Fangamer distribution centers worldwide!

Depending on your territory you may receive an email confirmation, if you don't that does NOT mean something's wrong with your order.

We're currently on track to have backer game copies delivered either on launch day or the day before launch on your respective platform and territory.

Check out this candid peek at the logistics process...the day of destiny is almost here!!

vorx6peaeq73.jpg

SOON

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Despite not backing the Kickstarter, I hope this turns out well.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Despite not backing the Kickstarter, I hope this turns out well.

It had better. Bloodstained is the last great retro hope.

sxmq58z3j7tz.jpg

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I actually like Yooka Laylee? MN9 was garbage.

If it turns out disappointing, at least we got Curse of the Moon.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Maytag wrote: »
    Try the hard modes? OoE has one of the best hard modes ever in my opinion.
    Order of Ecclesia on Hard will fuck you right up. I couldn't even believe some of the shit I died to on that run. It's great.

Even on normal Ecclesia makes better use of its enemies than any other game in the series. Total schlubbos like those purple skeleton spear guards that had been mindless speedbumps for literal decades suddenly get redone with elaborate, dynamic movesets. And the grave diggers! My god.

In conclusion Order of Ecclesia is a very good game and everyone should play it.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    I actually like Yooka Laylee? MN9 was garbage.

Its exactly what they said it would be and it's fine.

Mighty number 9 is the one that became the titanic of kickstarter games

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Just got my shipping confirmation!

Edit: Okay pre-shipment, but whatever. SOOOOOON!!

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    Holy Christ, I started reading some of the recent Kickstarter comments.

I should not have.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Holy Christ, I started reading some of the recent Kickstarter comments.

I should not have.

I glanced and apparently someone is spoiling the game? I quickly closed it.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575