As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Bad news, got my copy but internet is down at the moment so no patching capability right this moment.

Good news, I broke out my copy of Rondo of Blood to pass the time till it’s up again.
    xuryyo77259b.jpeg
    0n3aquahh55j.jpeg

Blackhawk1313 on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Steam keys are up on your backer survey page! Well, mine, at least!

i8ejulcact1z.png

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    So, let's say that I backed this, then forgot about it, and I backed it enough to get a copy of the game + some extras. The kickstarter page says that the code is usable for PS4/Xbox/PC. If I'd wanted this on the Switch instead, was I supposed to do something to indicate this, or am I out of luck?

I imagine you were supposed to have updated your desired platform via the Backer Survey, which I think was finalized in late May.

So I guess I never actually filled out the survey to begin with, and while updating the platform expired a long time ago, initially choosing a platform is still available, so I was able to pick the Switch version after all.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Aw no.... I should have got it on the Ps4 or Steam... This extra week wait is going to be brutal.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Haven't had an email all day, but checked my page and the PC codes given as placeholder for my disc were all there ... plus a Switch copy of Curse of the Moon I didn't know I was getting. Neat!

Going to be real interesting once all the tangile goods are done. Also keeping my eyes peeled for the backer steelbook offer.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    urahonky wrote: »
    Aw no.... I should have got it on the Ps4 or Steam... This extra week wait is going to be brutal.

Yeah it was very difficult not to choose the ‘play this game literally right now’ option, but being able to play it portably is a decent enough trade-off

Updated release times for tomorrow morning:

metaghost wrote: »
    So, let's say that I backed this, then forgot about it, and I backed it enough to get a copy of the game + some extras. The kickstarter page says that the code is usable for PS4/Xbox/PC. If I'd wanted this on the Switch instead, was I supposed to do something to indicate this, or am I out of luck?

I imagine you were supposed to have updated your desired platform via the Backer Survey, which I think was finalized in late May.

So I guess I never actually filled out the survey to begin with, and while updating the platform expired a long time ago, initially choosing a platform is still available, so I was able to pick the Switch version after all.

If you don't receive it within a week of the release date, I'd email Fangamer to be sure.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Haven't gotten the email, just checked myself and it was there. Now to wait for Steam release!

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Wait.

I live just outside New York- I gotta wait till tomorrow at 9am as opposed to midnight for the Steam release?

There... there must be some mistake...I made plans. I'm... there was time now!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah not having midnight across the board is really dumb IMO. Why does XBONE get it before the rest of us? Why does PS4 Europe get it before North America? What kind of paperwork is going on that restricts these releases? It's really awkward.

In any case, Steam release for me tomorrow means more Void Bastards tonight.

Closed and reopened Steam, got this:
    lck2zk6p6428.png

Clicked the button:
    6c51aam18ry1.png

Me for 5 seconds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjNnGVVzb5Y

Me, now: Eh, it'll download quickly for me tomorrow anyway. And I've got a few errands to run in the morning.

Hmmm I should just void my steam purchase and get it on the Bone, I don't have work till pretty late tomorrow

Where is @emnmnme

WHERE ARE YOU CASTLEVANIA BRETHREN

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Where is emnmnme

I just noticed the down button on my XBOX d-pad is not working right! I'm looking up videos on how to clean or fix this before midnight.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Closed and reopened Steam, got this:
    lck2zk6p6428.png

Clicked the button:
    6c51aam18ry1.png

Me for 5 seconds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjNnGVVzb5Y

Me, now: Eh, it'll download quickly for me tomorrow anyway. And I've got a few errands to run in the morning.
    So, true story.

I clicked this thread, I was scrolling down, and I saw the first image in your post. I immediately closed and re-opened Steam to try and get it to work.

Annnnnd basically repeat your post for the rest of mine.

emnmnme wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Where is emnmnme

I just noticed the down button on my XBOX d-pad is not working right! I'm looking up videos on how to clean or fix this before midnight.

Depending on where you are, it's not midnight, lol

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Question for anyone who backed the Switch version, has you received a shipping confirmation yet?

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    So... this game rules. I’m so incandescently happy with how this has turned out thus far.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So I got my backer copy in the mail and I'm liking it so far. This is clearly no Mighty No 9. I might wait a little bit to see what the backer bonuses are before I delve deeper in to it though.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    This will probably get lost in the Bloodstained release, but apparently Konami patched all three of its Anniversary collections today. Glad they've done it!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So glad it's not a Mighty Number 9 incident. Enjoy the game folks! I'm going to dip out because the anticipation is killing me... I may just buy it on ps4 to play now lol

A guy I'm talking to in Discord says this is the menu music when you look at the Japanese games menu in the Castlevania Collection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TecRb1nYrSE

Solid choice.

An hour and 15 minutes away from the purported release of Bloodstained on Steam!

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I'm waiting until I get home from work to see some more impressions.

I've been hurt before.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I played for about four hours yesterday

It rules, I love it, it’s a proper Igavania on consoles, something I’ve wanted since SOTN

I love the customization you can do on Miriam

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I got my PS4 backer copy yesterday. played it a good bit, its pretty great so far, very SOTN feel to it. lots of weapons and skills to collect. my only small gripe about it right now is how easy it is to get into a monsters hitbox and get stuck in a damage cycle...should have had i-frames after a hit so you could escape as needed. Also they reused some voice assets in some small characters a bit too much. (Quest lady).

I already feel like I've gotted my moneys worth with the quality im seeing, and according to the save screen, ive only explored 10% of the world (with one character).

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    This game is better than I ever thought it would be. I’m just in the prologue level but the animations, atmosphere, and the music almost brought a tear to my eye.

I love it.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Alright, big confession time. Bloodstained looks cool, but I don't know if I want to pick it up, because I have never played SOTN or Rondo, so I'm not sure if Bloodstained will actually be up my alley gameplay-wise.

So, should I take the big chance and pick up Bloodstained, or pick up the Requiem double pack to see if IGA is my jam first?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I didn't Kickstart and I haven't preordered, but I am so, so happy that the early impressions of this are so positive.

I think I might have to pick it up after work.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Alright, big confession time. Bloodstained looks cool, but I don't know if I want to pick it up, because I have never played SOTN or Rondo, so I'm not sure if Bloodstained will actually be up my alley gameplay-wise.

So, should I take the big chance and pick up Bloodstained, or pick up the Requiem double pack to see if IGA is my jam first?

Have you played any of the ClassicVania games? Like Castlevania 1-4? SotN is basically just the gameplay (platforming, melee attacks, special abilities) of the Classic games slapped on top of a Metroid-style world design with backtracking as you gain new powers and abilities to access new areas and secrets.

Anyone else notice the additional notes under the game's system requirements? :D
    bpwl1xml8lxt.jpg

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Have you played any of the ClassicVania games? Like Castlevania 1-4? SotN is basically just the gameplay (platforming, melee attacks, special abilities) of the Classic games slapped on top of a Metroid-style world design with backtracking as you gain new powers and abilities to access new areas and secrets.

.... I've played a bit of Simon's Quest as a child.

I don't know why I never really got around to the Castlevania series, because I love the art and the aesthetic and the music (and recently the Netflix series), but I'm basically a Castlevania newbie.

Edit: although I have recently played and adored Hollow Knight and Guacamelee, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the gameplay style

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    So glad it's not a Mighty Number 9 incident. Enjoy the game folks! I'm going to dip out because the anticipation is killing me... I may just buy it on ps4 to play now lol

I think MN9 is why it worked. They learned exactly what to not do including fixing the artstyle

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Still haven't received my backer code (PSN), but they have updated the listing for the Curse of the Moon code that says:

NOT ROTN

Gonna guess they had a whole lot of folks downloading Curse and freaking out.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    can't wait to play this on Switch

is it out in stores or fangamer exclusive?

edit: seems to be a physical release everywhere!!

Xaquin on
    Seems great so far!

Also, I died on the first boss twice before I had to step away. I remember that boss being a little easier in that first backer beta! Or I've just gotten worse.

'It is a lot like SOTN' is high praise in context, since that seems to have been what they were going for from the first pitch.

I still shake my head at all the doubt. Igarashi delivered six complete, polished games in this exact genre, worked on Rondo of Blood and its remake, plus the excellent Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth. He and his team even had time to give us Curse of the Moon, clearly demonstrating they could deliver not just a complete Classicvania, but more importantly, the tight platformer gameplay it shares with Igavanias.

So very many dev interviews across the industry echo that games only really come together at the end of development. While the core of Bloodstained's gameplay has been nailed down for about a year, the polish all came together only recently. That's typically how it is. I fully expected them to go nuts on the art & polish with the time they had left, given their history, though the special interactivity we had via Kickstarter may have helped shape the direction.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I still shake my head at all the doubt. Igarashi delivered six complete, polished games in this exact genre, worked on Rondo of Blood and its remake, plus the excellent Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth. He and his team even had time to give us Curse of the Moon, clearly demonstrating they could deliver not just a complete Classicvania, but more importantly, the tight platformer gameplay it shares with Igavanias.

So very many dev interviews across the industry echo that games only really come together at the end of development. While the core of Bloodstained's gameplay has been nailed down for about a year, the polish all came together only recently. That's typically how it is. I fully expected them to go nuts on the art & polish with the time they had left, given their history, though the special interactivity we had via Kickstarter may have helped shape the direction.

Mighty No. 9

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I want to play as Gebel again. Don't jerk us around this time, go straight to playable "Dracula" please.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »

Because without naming names(I'm sure you can think of several) it has been proven many times over that the "visionary genius" behind a particular franchise was able to do what they did in no small part thanks to their teams keeping them in check - refining their direction, pushing back against their more stupid ideas, etc.

The final products are the result of several levels of team refinement, not simply one person going off on their own, surrounding themselves with starry-eyed yes-men who oh my god I get to work with the legendary <insert name here>, and then proceeding to run their project into the ground through lack of checks and balances.