As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Dracula X feels really random. Did it release on GBA and I just spaced it?

Nope, it feels like some added bonus they threw in for the hell of it.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Castlevania Advance Collection on the eshop.

$19.99, pretty reasonable.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Dracula X wasn't included in the last CV collection (which it probably should have been since IV was there), so it's nice to have it in somewhere. Now they need to do Rondo, Symphony, and the DS games..

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There's already a Rondo/Symphony collection. It's just only on the PS4 right now. Obligatory "Yes, please port it".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    There's already a Rondo/Symphony collection. It's just only on the PS4 right now. Obligatory "Yes, please port it".

What voiceover did it use? I would literally say no to the entire game if they didn't use something resembling the Ps1 script/VA.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

The fact that they haven't just confuses the fuck out of me. But then I remember that it's Konami.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

What voiceover did it use? I would literally say no to the entire game if they didn't use something resembling the Ps1 script/VA.

It's the updated one the PSP version used. The one that is perfectly cromulent... but no, not the original cheese.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Out today is pretty sweet, $20 for four games is reasonable. Probably gonna get it soon but not right away.

And it's now officially up on Steam.

It's the updated one the PSP version used. The one that is perfectly cromulent... but no, not the original cheese.

It goes in the bin, it's a no from me, dawg.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I'd take it just to play Rondo. I hear a lot of good things about it.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    New voiceover is better, to me.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I mean it arguably couldn't be worse, but its probably less iconic.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Well, yeah. It was the first, and it's had a lot of time in comparison to build its reputation. Plus, the jokes are legit great. I prefer the DXC version as a story, and I feel like it's more dramatic? Or more fitting of the setting, anyway. And I just really like the way Dracula keeps calling out Richter specifically. "Freedom is always sacrificed to faith, good hunter. Or are you truly here by choice?"

It's all very subjective, of course. I feel the same about SNES-era RPGs, like Final Fantasy VI, or Chrono Trigger. The original translations were legends in their own right, but I'll always prefer the later passes at the script, even though Frog's doesn't go thou anymore. Though, that's not a perfect comparison, as the DXC translation of Rondo doesn't actually make the speech closer to the Japanese script.

Enlong on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    OK, minor gripe time:

Tried out the Advanced Collection last night and didn't like Jump on A and Attack on B. I swapped Jump to B and Attack to Y. Went back to playing and no problem, everything silky smooth.

Then I went to the menu and realized that the Confirm/Cancel buttons are still attached to Jump/Attack. So now my Y button is Cancel and B is Confirm.

Look, I'm an old-school gamer who can adjust to the whole B/A or A/B for Confirm/Cancel, but I simply can't do Y for either of these commands. Please patch Konami!
    This will never get patched.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    The ideal way to release Symphony of the Night would be to have an ultimate director's cut version which contains:
    • The PS1 version (western release)
    • The PS1 version (Japanese release)
    • The Saturn version
    • The version from DXC

Hell, throw in both the original and PSP versions of Rondo on there too.

Anyway, that'll never happen.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    DS Collection when?

I need Order of Ecclesia and Portrait of Ruin on modern console.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    The ideal way to release Symphony of the Night would be to have an ultimate director's cut version which contains:
    • The Saturn version
    • The version from DXC

At this point I will literally settle for any version of SotN being available on PC.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    DS Collection when?

Hopefully they won't take forever to do this... but they will.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    DS Collection when?

I need Order of Ecclesia and JONATHAN CHARLETTO JONATHAN on modern console.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    SteevL wrote: »
    • The Saturn version
    • The version from DXC

100% this. Give us *options* please! I would love a collection like this. I've never really seen much of the Saturn stuff, and while I'm sure it's largely garbage (from what I've heard the new area is fairly bad), it's still unique! Maybe this is just a "me" thing but I honestly find differences like this super fascinating and interesting to explore.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Didn’t sony have some interest in the PS4 collection that precluded it being ported? I would love for symphony to be more widely available, pretty sure the last time I played it was on the xbox 360 XBLA release.

Aria of Sorrow is very very good though and probably worth the 20 by itself.

Its funny that now I can have all the GBA megaman Z games and all GBA Castlevania games the only legendary GBA action adventure games that you can’t get on switch are the ones actually by nintendo themselves.

Jealous Deva on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Sony partially funded Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP, and according to Digital Foundry, the PS4 product Requiem seems to be the "originals" from that PSP game running in Sony's own high-res PSP emulator. So yes, its a PS4, emulating a PSP, which is in turn emulating PS1 or PCE. And potentially running backcompat on a PS5.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    I’m so happy that Circle of the Moon is just as much fun as when I was 11. I’m much better at the game though, cause 11 year old me was a dumbass when it came to this game.

edited September 2021
    Picked up the collection on the Switch cause I had some gold coins for $5 off. And yeah, I'm noticing that Circle is much easier than I remember. The grind is the same though, spent 10-15 minutes farming a Slime for Venus so I could get +25% strength and +25% luck for when I need it. I like the card system but the drop rates are stupid bad.

KoopahTroopah on
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I was dead-set on it being like 39.99$ because Konami but 20$ is really good to me.

But like i'm a dumb-ass who would pay 20$ for just Aria of sorrow alone.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    If I hadn't literally just played through Aria I would be all over this.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Picked up the collection on the Switch cause I had some gold coins for $5 off. And yeah, I'm noticing that Circle is much easier than I remember. The grind is the same though, spent 10-15 minutes farming a Slime for Venus so I could get +25% strength and +25% luck for when I need it. I like the card system but the drop rates are stupid bad.

Apparently...the rewind feature lets you reroll random drops...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wCF1lRj9vs

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    Holy shit I might actually use rewind then lmao.

Shenl742 wrote: »

Apparently...the rewind feature lets you reroll random drops...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wCF1lRj9vs

That is a game changing feature, so long as you have the patience... dang.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Patience nothing, that's a thousand times easier than running back and forth between rooms. This has pushed the game to an easy sell for me.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Patience nothing, that's a thousand times easier than running back and forth between rooms. This has pushed the game to an easy sell for me.

It's DEFINITELY easier, but who knows how many times you'd have to rewind to get the result, is the thing. Rewinding 100 times in a row wouldn't be fun either.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    DS Collection when?

Hopefully they won't take forever to do this... but they will.

Do yearly quarters in the video game industry work at the start of the year? If so, the end of September is a good time to push out ports and give the quarter a little boost. Similarly, the DS ports would be used to boost the end of some future quarter, maybe a year from now before Halloween.

edited September 2021
    Hearing whispers that the Advance collection audio (or music at least) is better than the originals, or at least vs original hardware. Less crunchy.

rahkeesh2000 on
    Hearing whispers that the Advance collection audio (or music at least) is better than the originals, or at least vs original hardware. Less crunchy.

Yeah, there's a toggle setting too to turn off HD audio if you want the crunch.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I really want this but I just got Chasm so maybe this winter

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Crosspost from Switch thread:

I picked up the Castlevania Advance Collection. And have now remembered how shit I am at Circle of the Moon. (Or it's just harder than I'm used to, but I was shit at it on the GBA too.)

Also apparently I didn't know the European release of that one was just called Castlevania here. Also apparently Dracula X was called Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss too.

I'm genuinely surprised how full-featured and nicely done this collection is, from Konami in particular who seem to have so little interest in video games these days - but then, they also nailed the PC Engine Mini, so I guess when they do something now they do it right.

But this REALLY shows how nice GBA games on the Switch can be, and how fantastic a 2D Metroid compilation would be, at least Fusion and Zero Mission. Come on, Nintendo. You know it makes sense.

Jazz wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised how full-featured and nicely done this collection is, from Konami in particular who seem to have so little interest in video games these days - but then, they also nailed the PC Engine Mini, so I guess when they do something now they do it right..

The key in both cases, as in many others, is M.2

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised how full-featured and nicely done this collection is, from Konami in particular who seem to have so little interest in video games these days - but then, they also nailed the PC Engine Mini, so I guess when they do something now they do it right..

The key in both cases, as in many others, is M.2

Yeah, they're a pretty good marker of quality.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Out today is pretty sweet, $20 for four games is reasonable. Probably gonna get it soon but not right away.

Holding out hope Limited Run or equivalent will announce something, but I'm not sure this collection is for me...I'm only really interested in Circle of the Moon since I've never played it. I already have the GBA release of the Castlevania Double Pack (which includes Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow) and own 2 versions of the PC-Engine Dracula X.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575