Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    There's still rendering and memory limitations. That's less significant, but does have an impact on, say, how many enemies can be on screen. So you still got stuff like Dead Rising having a ton of zombies on screen being pretty impressive at the time.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I definitely agree that the stuff they did in "the old days" to get around hardware limitations is neat. It's cool to read about the tricks, shortcuts, and weird shit developers came up with back then to make their games work in the early days of the hobby.

My original point, however, when I started this discussion, was simply that in 2021 where those old 4/8/16 bit hardware limitations no longer exist, I'd rather see devs let the hardware do the work for them. I believe the two examples I cited were Octopath and Deadcells. Octopath is a fully 3D game, but it uses 16bit(ish) textures. Plus particle rendering, lighting, and other modern graphics tricks. And Dead Cells famously has a character model that is fully 3D because that was easier and more cost/time efficient for them to animate. And so the Dead Cells main character is a 3D model with a 2D texture. That's neat.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Sounds more like you want to be pedantic because you don't understand?

I understand, I just don't think it's as cool as you do. I like retro games but I don't have a hard-on over them. You don't need to be an asshole about it.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Eh, there's plenty of cool shit in modern gaming. But clearly you wanna be reductive, so there's no point in talking about it.

I mean, you don't have to be an asshole either?

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I mean, they were being reductive. I wasn't aware that pointing out a-hole behavior was in itself a-hole behavior.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I really can't begin to think that whether a game was made on just 50k or 5 million is something we should get excited about. If you equate that to the new, exciting limitation of modern gaming then you're the one that has condemned it. There's still overcoming tech limitations like Doom '16 or "impossible Switch ports", and yeah sometime its neat to marvel on how small a team built something, especially since each member's individual contribution is all the greater. But I'm not excited when a team does more with less money, whether because they are being paid poorly, crunching hard, or are just plain efficient and well managed. It's nice when there are good workplace conditions, but neither those or their absence are something that makes the game itself more impressive.

Then again I don't adjust how much I'm willing to pay for a game based on whether it's high-budget or not, which is maybe what you were implying? I'm willing to pay a lot more for Sonic Mania than Forces, or even Generations, regardless of what Sega wants to charge or the respective budgets that went into those games. Mania isn't better because they did more with less, it's just better full stop. When someone says something like "Octopath doesn't look like a $60 game" it does not register at all.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Anyway, Shantae 5/ Seven Sirens was being discussed earlier, and its recently got a great new update. The star of the show is Definitive Mode, which basically rebalances the difficulty away from a touch-focused game to a traditional Shantae game. Food drops are rare and offer barely any nourishment (rations are literally 1/4th of a single heart), so if the lack of any challenge had you down before, give it another look.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Definitive Mode also added some minor dialogue with the main Siren bosses. Which is nice, because in the original version, they just rolled straight into the boss fights after the anime cutscene intros for each. It’s not a lot, but giving them some personality is appreciated.

They also added a couple of additional modes related to the monster card system. Full Deck mode starts you with every single monster card already unlocked, so you can customize your bonuses right away. Rule Breaker Mode breaks the limit on how many cards you can equip; it lets you equip all cards at once if you want, for some pretty wild bonuses.

• Options
    I never did finish that game This might be a good excuse to try :P Because yeah, I could feel the fact it started as a phone game and it sorta turned me off on it a bit. But this might be just what I was looking for.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Blasphemous: Wounds of Eventide , the third and final instalment of free updates for Blasphemous is available now:
    https://youtu.be/1rBiW_OiJpE

• Options
    Seven Sirens is the only Shantae I don't own yet. It hasn't gone on sale on PSN since I've been following the series.

I wishlisted it on PSN. I watch for it to go on sale regularly.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Really? It was on sale on steam and Nintendo for black Friday. I still didn't grab it due to budget issues, but I really want it.

• Options
    I grabbed Risky's Revenge Director's Cut over black Friday. That was on sale. And so was Half-Genie Hero. But not Seven Sirens.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Blasphemous: Wounds of Eventide , the third and final instalment of free updates for Blasphemous is available now:

Yeah!
    Do note that late game saves may not be able to see all the Wounds of Eventide content,

No!
    Wounds of Eventide unveils the final chapter in The Penitent One’s first story and offers new levels, bosses and items, and unearths secrets that will unlock another fate for Cvstodia – leading into the events of the Blasphemous sequel

Yeah!
    (launching in 2023)

No!

Rollercoaster of an update. Oh well, starting a new playthrough wouldn't be the worst thing, it's a fun game and it'll get me back in form for what I presume will be an extra, more difficult final boss.

Crowsworn and Blasphemous II both coming out in 2023 will be pretty great, with hopefully Silksong bridging the gap sometime in 2022. Hopefully have at least one sick new Metroidvania to tide things over until the others release.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I bought Blasphemous at the same time I grabbed a few other metroidvanias. It's on my list to play. Looking forward to it. Love the graphics and macabre art aesthetic.

On the subject of metroidvanias with good art, Record of Lodoss war is coming to consoles next week. The 16th is the console release date. (It is already out on Steam). It has absolutely stunning pixel art. Some of the best I've ever seen.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    There was no mention of Silksong at TGA (and in the Hollow Knight community there was a wailing and gnashing of teeth) but this trailer popped up and seems like a neat little metroidish thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=552eylG17Oo&ab_channel=HaveaNiceDeath

Beautiful animation and effects.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Oh yeah, I already forgot about that but it looked friggin' cool. I definitely wanna check that game out. I couldn't tell for sure if it was a Metroidvania but it definitely had a very Castlevania vibe to it.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    There was no mention of Silksong at TGA (and in the Hollow Knight community there was a wailing and gnashing of teeth) . . .

My wife is starting to give up any hope of Silksong ever coming out. It is 100% her most anticipated game as well, whenever it might materialize.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Hey guys, just wanted to drop a warning to the rest of you so you don't get bitten the way I did with the new content in Blasphemous. The short of it is that if you're coming back to the game on an old save file, you're already locked out of the true final boss / new ending, and even on an entirely new save, it's easy to miss.
    They've newly added Perpetua(the angel sister that Esdras, the lunatic with the hammer who fights you on the bridge)'s tomb to the game, in a zone called Echoes of Salt. You must speak to her and get a key item before fighting Esdras on the bridge, which keeps him from dying. If you don't, all the other components of that quest line (including another pair of DLC bosses) will still exist, but nothing you do after that will matter. You can also screw the quest up by fighting Cristana (the mirror match just before the final boss) before doing the rest of the quest line.

Basically, I strongly recommend looking up a guide for the true ending so you don't wind up screwing yourself out of it by proceeding too quickly.

Why do game devs do this? Ugh.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the Blasphemous stuff (though yes, accessing some of it can be easy to miss).
    Overall added some really great new bosses, fun new collectibles (there's a Berserk tribute that I thought was a classy move), and some wild lore. With all the DLC content added this is a very solid and fun game, and an excellent example of the genre. Looking forwards to sequel now.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Has there been any murmuring of who's going to write the inevitable SotN adaptation if not Ellis?
    Problematic elements aside, he did have a genuinely good grasp of the material, so I hope he won't be too sorely missed.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    A bunch of sites I've never heard of are claiming season 5's been cancelled, but I can't find any reputable source saying that.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Circle of Moon is absolutely killing me. The slow walk combined with the barrage of enemies combined with the save points being so far apart is nuts. That's WITH the ability to rewind lol

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Circle of Moon is absolutely killing me. The slow walk combined with the barrage of enemies combined with the save points being so far apart is nuts. That's WITH the ability to rewind lol

Yeah I gave up on it and moved on to Harmony of Dissonance. Much better.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I know Circle was just their second attempt at the sub-genre, it was trying a few new things that sounded nice on paper, and they were definitely working with technical limitations at the time...

But damn in so many ways does it feel like it's just actively working against letting you have fun.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Yeah every time I see one of those special monsters I have to spend the next 45 minutes grinding them because getting those cards are incredibly important.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    I know Circle was just their second attempt at the sub-genre, it was trying a few new things that sounded nice on paper, and they were definitely working with technical limitations at the time...

But damn in so many ways does it feel like it's just actively working against letting you have fun.

I think a huge thing that was missing from CotM's development was Koji Igarashi. The game was developed by the same dev team that made the N64 games. At the time, it was nice just to have another Metroidvania since they were very uncommon back then, but these days its flaws are pretty apparent.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    SteevL wrote: »
    Shenl742 wrote: »

I think a huge thing that was missing from CotM's development was Koji Igarashi. The game was developed by the same dev team that made the N64 games. At the time, it was nice just to have another Metroidvania since they were very uncommon back then, but these days its flaws are pretty apparent.

Yeah you can really tell the difference. Iga's games were really dense with stuff you can find, both to help the player as well as lots of weird, fun little quirks that gave the game character. Circle feels kind of sterile by comparison.
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah every time I see one of those special monsters I have to spend the next 45 minutes grinding them because getting those cards are incredibly important.

Really, the card system is CotM's unique feature and can be pretty important to just progressing through the game...and there's a high chance that most players won't even see most of them.

Shenl742 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I had to beat Dracula with a sword made of roses.

It was fabulous.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Oh crap, Warren Ellis left the project?

Doom! Doooooooooooom!

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Oh crap, Warren Ellis left the project?

Doom! Doooooooooooom!

More like fired... I think over some bad stuff he did? I honestly don't remember what it was, but I think something sexual harassment related.

I'm at least glad this arc of the series was able to conclude before that so it will feel cohesive. I'm not *super* worried about the next thing they do - at least they have something of a template to work off from. And especially if they can get back a lot of the other people who worked on the original show, it's not like Ellis did everything there.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Ellis#Sexual_coercion_allegations
    In June 2020, several women (including musician Meredith Yayanos, artist Zoetica Ebb and photographer Jhayne Holmes) publicly accused Ellis of sexual coercion and manipulation, in having engaged in simultaneous relationships with several of them without the others' knowledge.[126][127][128][129][130] The Daily Beast reported that "by 19 June, over 60 women had joined a group organized by Holmes, all of them accusing Ellis of a largely consistent pattern of behavior".[130] The Guardian later reported that "roughly 100 women have come forward, while 33 of them have composed written statements, supported by emails and text messages, which have been seen by the Guardian".[131] These testimonials were posted together on a new website, SoManyofUs.com, in July 2020 and contain accounts of "manipulation, gaslighting, coercion, and other forms of emotional abuse".[131][132]

Shenl742 on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    .....God damn

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah. His (general lack of) response to all this speaks volumes.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I think his last public blog post or something acknowledged that he had behaved like a huge piece of shit in the past and to believe the accusers.

That said, I believe the allegations started popping up before Season 4 released but by then they had finalized the script for the finale already. He definitely won't be attached to any new seasons but from what the showrunners said they're definitely looking forward to a fresh new story arc vaguely based off another game

• Options
    I think his last public blog post or something acknowledged that he had behaved like a huge piece of shit in the past and to believe the accusers.

That said, I believe the allegations started popping up before Season 4 released but by then they had finalized the script for the finale already. He definitely won't be attached to any new seasons but from what the showrunners said they're definitely looking forward to a fresh new story arc vaguely based off another game

Yeah this is what I was seeing in the wiki article. Honestly I think I can buy that - when you're in that kind of position it's probably hard to recognize what you're doing (not that this is any excuse mind you, but at least it feels like he understand he was in the wrong here and is actually apologetic about it). But I don't know - I haven't been following it closely at all so who knows how sincere he is about all that.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, it sounds shitty, but is this one of those things where it's not illegal, just unethical?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Honestly given the sheer volume of victims (which I was definitely unaware was so large) the probability of it having veered into potential illegality must be a non-zero number

In any case, it's probably mostly by luck that the production was mostly unaffected, and it's a shame a writer as talented as Ellis had to go throw his career away like that but it's not like they can't find other writers capable of the same empathy of character and writing style

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Honestly given the sheer volume of victims (which I was definitely unaware was so large) the probability of it having veered into potential illegality must be a non-zero number

In any case, it's probably mostly by luck that the production was mostly unaffected, and it's a shame a writer as talented as Ellis had to go throw his career away like that but it's not like they can't find other writers capable of the same empathy of character and writing style

Yeah, and I hope they actually take the effort to find someone good. There are definitely talented writers out there that could take over, but whether they actually hire one is another question :)

• Options
    Man. The difficulty of the platforming really ramps up at the end of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. I'm currently stuck on a room in the palace where there are spikes on all the walls, ceiling, and floating spike blocks. I haven't been able to execute a good enough run to get through that section. Always ending up hitting a spike somewhere.