As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    For some reason, YouTube keeps deleting my post when I try to post a link to that game.

The demo is out on itch, folks.

The game is like, 10 times better than Simon's Quest.

YouTube has recently been intentionally throttling people using AdBlocker on their site. It's been proven many times over with "proof videos" showing a laggy video on YT, turning off the adblocker, refreshing the video, the video is silky smooth, enabling the adblocker, and the lag resumes.

I'm not saying that's the reason YT might be acting weird, but fuck them for even trying to pull this bullshit.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It seems like YouTube is deleting posts with links in them. What a load of crap.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Prince of Persia and Legend of Kenzera have both got me pretty hyped for AA budget 2.5D metroidvanias this year.

Makes me long for a true modern Castlevania with beautiful 2.5D graphics. Of course, modern Konami is probably incapable of delivering on my dream.

POP is a 50 dollar game, though. And apparently pretty long.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    It seems like YouTube is deleting posts with links in them. What a load of crap.

Doesn't YouTube always delete links in comments? It's an anti spam measure.

steam_sig.png

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Prince of Persia and Legend of Kenzera have both got me pretty hyped for AA budget 2.5D metroidvanias this year.

Makes me long for a true modern Castlevania with beautiful 2.5D graphics. Of course, modern Konami is probably incapable of delivering on my dream.

Just remember that most of the games that Ubisoft puts out tend to discount pretty heavily in a month or two.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Just remember that most of the games that Ubisoft puts out tend to discount pretty heavily in a month or two.

I'm waiting for it to go onto a store that runs easily on my steam deck

steam_sig.png

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Loaded up harmony of dissonance on castlevania collection on switch.

I think they must have done some color correction on it, because it looks very much better than I remember it on a SP or emulator. Much less over saturated day-glo going on here.

To be honest the game is remembered I feel like as both the worst GBA vania and worst igavania. So how does it feel loading up in 2024? Pretty good actually.

Juste is really cool. He feels like Simon from super castlevania at the beginning, but once you get used to his dodges and get slide and double jump he’s zipping around the screen like he’s Zero. Probably the most mobile character in the old games. Very cool to have a classic setup Belmont that can also hustle when he needs to.

A lot of complaints back in the old days about the game came down to 2 things, the magic system and the castle. The magic system is pretty simple, it isn’t the complex collectathon of Circle of the Moon or the sorrow games, and if you know the weaknesses of the bosses you can often trivialize them. And I don’t care…. Honestly I found a simpler nongrindy system pretty refreshing, and if you don’t want to trivialize bosses, then don’t use a guide I guess? Or play no magic mode.

The castle is an issue though. The idea of parallel is a great idea. Its just that the game is a bit too open ended. Unlike symphony and the metroid games it doesn’t segment the map, nor does it really give you pointers as to where you are supposed to go. Its a bit of a mess as a result. Like imagine if in Symphony of the Night you had to constantly teleport back and forth between the upside down and right-side up castles.

Still I’m enjoying it, most people are probably going to get the collection for Circle and Aria but Harmony is worth giving a try.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I think the over saturated day glo of the original was mostly due to trying to get around limitations of the GBA screen.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    For some reason, YouTube keeps deleting my post when I try to post a link to that game.

YouTube has recently been intentionally throttling people using AdBlocker on their site. It's been proven many times over with "proof videos" showing a laggy video on YT, turning off the adblocker, refreshing the video, the video is silky smooth, enabling the adblocker, and the lag resumes.

I'm not saying that's the reason YT might be acting weird, but fuck them for even trying to pull this bullshit.

So this one apparently can't be blamed on YT itself:

YouTube’s ad blocker problems are just an Adblock Plus bug
    But the slowdowns may be a big accident from ad blockers altering YouTube's code: Adblock Plus has published a bug report covering "performance issues" introduced by version 3.22 and says things should be fixed in version 3.22.1. uBlock Origin developer Raymond Hill says the issue is limited to AdBlock Plus and its spinoffs and that blaming YouTube is "an incorrect diagnosis."

It was driving me nuts for a while too given I've had some recent PC hardware issues.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    MNC Dover wrote: »

So this one apparently can't be blamed on YT itself:

YouTube’s ad blocker problems are just an Adblock Plus bug
    But the slowdowns may be a big accident from ad blockers altering YouTube's code: Adblock Plus has published a bug report covering "performance issues" introduced by version 3.22 and says things should be fixed in version 3.22.1. uBlock Origin developer Raymond Hill says the issue is limited to AdBlock Plus and its spinoffs and that blaming YouTube is "an incorrect diagnosis."

It was driving me nuts for a while too given I've had some recent PC hardware issues.

Fair...but still, fuck YT for their ad system that necessitates adblockers to begin with.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I think they must have done some color correction on it, because it looks very much better than I remember it on a SP or emulator. Much less over saturated day-glo going on here.

To be honest the game is remembered I feel like as both the worst GBA vania and worst igavania. So how does it feel loading up in 2024? Pretty good actually.

Juste is really cool. He feels like Simon from super castlevania at the beginning, but once you get used to his dodges and get slide and double jump he’s zipping around the screen like he’s Zero. Probably the most mobile character in the old games. Very cool to have a classic setup Belmont that can also hustle when he needs to.

A lot of complaints back in the old days about the game came down to 2 things, the magic system and the castle. The magic system is pretty simple, it isn’t the complex collectathon of Circle of the Moon or the sorrow games, and if you know the weaknesses of the bosses you can often trivialize them. And I don’t care…. Honestly I found a simpler nongrindy system pretty refreshing, and if you don’t want to trivialize bosses, then don’t use a guide I guess? Or play no magic mode.

The castle is an issue though. The idea of parallel is a great idea. Its just that the game is a bit too open ended. Unlike symphony and the metroid games it doesn’t segment the map, nor does it really give you pointers as to where you are supposed to go. Its a bit of a mess as a result. Like imagine if in Symphony of the Night you had to constantly teleport back and forth between the upside down and right-side up castles.

Still I’m enjoying it, most people are probably going to get the collection for Circle and Aria but Harmony is worth giving a try.

I keep meaning to replay this one. I've had a few false starts. And even when I did play through the game on release, I never got the good ending.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

I don't quite understand your point here. Can you elaborate on why you mentioned the price and the length?

edited January 17
    SteevL wrote: »

I keep meaning to replay this one. I've had a few false starts. And even when I did play through the game on release, I never got the good ending.

Well according to the show, Juste never did in the official canon apparently either.

The parts of dracula are tough to find without using a guide. Some are pretty well hidden, and the massive amount of real estate to cover with two castles makes it a hard thing to do blind. Even the key item to access some of the areas to get to them is missable IIRC.

Jealous Deva on

I don't quite understand your point here. Can you elaborate on why you mentioned the price and the length?

"Budget" to me implies a shorter length or cost or both.

This game is reportedly neither.

steam_sig.png

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

"Budget" to me implies a shorter length or cost or both.

This game is reportedly neither.

I did not say budget. I said 'AA' budget. Double A.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 18
    Yeah, 49.99 is the 29.99 of a decade ago, or the 39.99 of last generation.

It's a fair price for what you get. This is a really fun game with great controls and accessibility stuff that even AAA games don't offer.

I'll be honest, as I get older, having a slider to set the parry timing to be a bit looser makes me pretty happy.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, after an hour of play I started over (because I couldn't find any mid-game difficulty switch, boo) and set a custom game which is basically normal everything but larger parry windows. Much better.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I’m honestly not the hugest fan of parries in metroidvania games (damn it samus returns), but definitely appreciate timing options on them.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Not a big parry guy myself. Another game I'd been looking forwards to a while featured them, they were pushed as a big element of combat, but I couldn't stand trying to make it work - maybe it was badly implemented, but it felt completely random whether I was able to do one or not. I wound up just relying on dodges instead.

Game is Cookie Cutter, incidentally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3q8JERY7pA&ab_channel=IGN

Great character designs and animations, decent gameplay. Environments are nice enough, though they lack a certain something. Decent game. Good, not great. Was worth a playthrough.

H9f4bVe.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Just finished my first playthrough of the new Prince of Persia - 91% completion - so I definitely have some map and collectible stuff to do.

Which I actually might, because the traversal in this game is real fun. Excellent set of platforming abilities.

This is already a game of the year contender for me and it will be real hard to dethrone.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So I'm working through Castlevania 3. Never beat it before because it got way too hard around stage 4. I'm at stage 9 and I'm starting to get discouraged. I hear the Japanese version is much easier and has better music. Is this an option to play anywhere?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    The Anniversary Collection has the JP version

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    So I'm working through Castlevania 3. Never beat it before because it got way too hard around stage 4. I'm at stage 9 and I'm starting to get discouraged. I hear the Japanese version is much easier and has better music. Is this an option to play anywhere?

The final stage, when you die at Dracula, you go all the way back to the beginning of the stage. Good luck.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    TelMarine wrote: »

The final stage, when you die at Dracula, you go all the way back to the beginning of the stage. Good luck.

And the Japanese version does not do this! You get to start right at Dracula like in Castlevania 1.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited March 19

Not quite the beginning. You get to skip the three raven attack, the autoscroller that kills you from the top and bottom, and at the bottom the room where you climb down the stairs into the fire of a bone pillar who you can't kill without the floor breaking under you while bats attack. And you need to save a hit because just before the checkpoint there is another bone pillar on collapsing floor right on top of the door you need to damage tank. And everything is doing 5 damage. Then you check point. I got it twice in some 100 lives. The next room is surprisingly not too bad, skeleton whips and pendulums and bats, but I have Grant. Would be nice if there was some meat on the way to dracula though. What a slog.

Did not even manage to get Dracula's first form down before I had to get some sleep.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited March 19
    Randomly, I watched a video of someone doing the final boss of CV3 a couple months ago. Apparently, you can actually backtrack from right before Dracula to the previous room, and it makes all the candles reset. So if you take your time, you can grind up a huge supply of hearts before entering the fight. Which is highly relevant, because eg the Axe is great for the fight.

Wish I had known that 30 years ago. I did actually beat the game once back in the day, but only with Grant. Never got to see the other two endings.

Fry on
    Its so weird to me how they bizarrely upped the difficulty on US versions of games back then.

Contra 3 - no cheat codes at all, konami code works in JP version
    Contra Hard Corps - completely removed a health bar mechanic (!), characters just die in one hit.
    Streets of Rage 3 - hard mode in Japan is now normal mode in the US, the original normal mode is now easy mode and is only a demo mode with limited stages.

I mean I know why, game rentals and liberal return policies that didn’t exist in Japan, but still.

I had no idea Konami Code worked in the JP Version. I thought they stopped doing it with the SNES. I have vivid memories of it just killing you in Gradius III. Contra Hard Corps is unplayable without the health bar.

And then on the other hand we got a vastly stripped down simplified and easier Final Fantasy IV, and FF Mystic Quest instead of V.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited March 19
    I had no idea Konami Code worked in the JP Version. I thought they stopped doing it with the SNES. I have vivid memories of it just killing you in Gradius III. Contra Hard Corps is unplayable without the health bar.

And then on the other hand we got a vastly stripped down simplified and easier Final Fantasy IV, and FF Mystic Quest instead of V.

Typically at the time IIRC the American market was a much younger one than the Japanese one, and there was a lot of question over whether a complicated RPG or strategy game would sell in the US. To a great extent local US companies bought into this and didn’t push for the games to be brought over or in some cases actively opposed it. It would have seemed to be a view that would have been contradicted by just looking at the PC market, but at the time conventional wisdom was that there was not much crossover.

Because of this there was an entire generation of strategy focused games that just never made it over or didn’t until much later. Final fantasy 5, Bahamut Lagoon, Tactics Ogre,the entire Fire Emblem and Famicom wars series, etc.

There was also a separate phenomenon that the super Famicom was popular in Japan longer than in the US. So there were games like Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma, Tactics ogre, Bahamut Lagoon, Star Ocean, etc that came out very late in Japan, and there was a fear that if they spent a year or two translating them for the US market it would be a waste, as the SNES was already largely a nonentity in the US even when the games were released in Japan. So a lot of games got hit both ways. If you released a game in Japan in 1996, a year after the playstation released in the US, AND its a genre you don’t have a lot of confidence in being successful, why spend a lot bringing it over?

Edit: as a side note, Final Fantasy 7 would of course blow away any misconceptions over how well an RPG with relatively complex mechanics could do in the US, but that didn’t drop until 1997. If FF7 had been a launch title and dropped in 1995 you’d have probably seen a lot more of those later SNES RPG/tactics games get brought over.

Jealous Deva on
    On the other hand you have Super Castlevania IV which is the easiest of the old console Castlevanias by far*. Dracula throws health at you. Maybe it was an apology.

* I haven't played Rondo of Blood or the gameboy ones.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 19
    Castlevania IV the monsters basically weren't build to handle the range and versatility of the whip in that game. Nor were the weapons all that balanced. Subweapons are supposed to fill in for the weaknesses of the whip and there basically aren't any, aside from it not killing bosses as quickly as the cross can.

Not sure how the NES game stack up but Rondo is a significantly more challenging game that took me a lot of continues on the first go through some levels. Though Maria as an "easy less hard mode" certainly helps and she's very fun, far more agile than your typical belmont and probably influential on how SotN went.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

Not quite the beginning. You get to skip the three raven attack, the autoscroller that kills you from the top and bottom, and at the bottom the room where you climb down the stairs into the fire of a bone pillar who you can't kill without the floor breaking under you while bats attack. And you need to save a hit because just before the checkpoint there is another bone pillar on collapsing floor right on top of the door you need to damage tank. And everything is doing 5 damage. Then you check point. I got it twice in some 100 lives. The next room is surprisingly not too bad, skeleton whips and pendulums and bats, but I have Grant. Would be nice if there was some meat on the way to dracula though. What a slog.

Did not even manage to get Dracula's first form down before I had to get some sleep.

Two pieces of music burned into my brain from playing Castlevania 3 to completion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sbm6XD0e5Q (that stage probably took me over 3 hours straight to complete, the ship)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFyXt0eUXf0 - what we are talking about

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    While I enjoyed CV3, my best friend was obsessed with it. The game became his passion for a while. He wanted to do everything, so he managed to beat the game with each partner, then solo, then with each partner/solo on the longest/hardest path.

To push it further, he made up an RPG where you'd play as the characters and move across stages he made out of graph paper. Not gonna lie, it was cool as hell back in the day.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I really like cv3 but the difficulty was a killer. I honestly don’t know if I even made it to unlocking the other characters until I played as an adult.

Super was much easier. Even Simons Quest was easier really (especially with a map so you didn’t get lost and a game magazine that told you how to get around the obscure puzzles).

I beat CVIII with all three partners during its original release, but completing it with Trevor alone was too hard for me. I couldn't get past the doppelganger boss and gave up.

I finally beat him with just Trevor 2 or 3 years ago. Felt good. I actually find the Dracula encounter easier than the original Castlevania.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Randomly, I watched a video of someone doing the final boss of CV3 a couple months ago. Apparently, you can actually backtrack from right before Dracula to the previous room, and it makes all the candles reset. So if you take your time, you can grind up a huge supply of hearts before entering the fight. Which is highly relevant, because eg the Axe is great for the fight.

Wish I had known that 30 years ago. I did actually beat the game once back in the day, but only with Grant. Never got to see the other two endings.

How long does it take versus the time limit you have, though? I imagine you can't fill up completely without putting yourself at risk of time over.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    If I remember correctly, they give you like 600 seconds (or whatever units they use) for the Dracula area. I remember it being plenty of time.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Isn't Castlevania 3 the one that gives you seven extra lives if you enter your name as "Help Me"? I remember abusing that mercilessly as a kid to beat the game.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Isn't Castlevania 3 the one that gives you seven extra lives if you enter your name as "Help Me"? I remember abusing that mercilessly as a kid to beat the game.

Yes, it is! Yes, I have experience with this! CV3 was super hard as a kid. Probably equally hard as an adult.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, they give you like 600 seconds (or whatever units they use) for the Dracula area. I remember it being plenty of time.

https://youtu.be/pUEY219SkxY?si=lWy5H4ZPjKoYnZg_
    600 seconds. 600 seconds is all I can spare to play with you. (insert Dracula "Bleh!" sound effect at the end).