As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] 'Look, I'm a stamp!'

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Isn't Epic sorta undercutting PC game prices by doing this sale where they subsidize a discount? These games aren't finished or even fully out yet. You hear game devs talk all the time talk about how Steam sales have ruined the public perception of "what a game is worth".

Yeah I think that's why Paradox yanked Bloodlines 2 from their store while this sale is going on, its up there for a bit at the start. There's going to be one of those Is There Any Deal style price trackers associated to it showin git's been $50 already instead of $60 which probably encourages people to wait until its that lower price again. Sales of the game on Epic would net the same value as it selling full price, but it's tough to say what impact that has on post sale purchase velocity. If you see its been on sale before, does that make you wait until its on sale again when otherwise you would have bought it at full price.

Also thanks for the heads up Spoit.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Mugsley wrote: »
    Isn't Epic sorta undercutting PC game prices by doing this sale where they subsidize a discount? These games aren't finished or even fully out yet. You hear game devs talk all the time talk about how Steam sales have ruined the public perception of "what a game is worth".

Don't think you can unring that genie

I'd be lying if I said prices for PC games didn't color my response to the price of games on Switch. I understand there's labor involved in porting a title, but a game like Dragon's Dogma shouldn't be selling at near full retail when it changes platforms.

I give Dragon's Dogma a pass because full price is still like half off the price of a new release. It's also not doing what Skyrim did where it cost more on Switch than it does on PC.
    Karoz wrote: »
    Part of me wants to hold off on buying Total War: Three Kingdoms. I'm not sure my aging system will run it particularly well and I don't know how much time I have for the battles on an average night of gaming. But I keep reading stories like this from writers who've played it:
    My eldest son died horribly at the Battle of Yangzhou in 198 CE. Cao Ang led a small retinue in General Xiahou Yuan’s army. Xiahou’s army was the best I had: disciplined troops, carefully selected and commanded by heroes. At Yangzhou they were mauled by a massive army of peasant rebels led by the Yellow Turban He Yi. My defeated army escaped, but He Yi challenged Cao Ang to a duel and personally killed my son. Though my son was not a great commander or, obviously, duelist, his death is a tragedy for my whole faction. Cao Ang commanded a third of the defeated army, and without a substitute general his retinue will disband. The only candidate has no military experience and has never left court: Lady Bian, the boy’s mother. She assumes command in tragic, desperate circumstances; in 201 CE she will march back to Yangzhou to duel the rebel who killed her son and become my greatest general.

. . .

I don’t win the war against Yuan Shao but Lady Bian and Cao Cao combine to make it only a partial loss. Lady Bian’s greatest contribution is actually capturing the emperor alive. Though all the factions in Three Kingdoms compete to become emperor, the Han Empire is still in merely terminal decline in 190 CE. At the beginning of the game it is a vassal of Dong Zhou, who is the Prime Minister of the Han Empire because he holds the infant emperor hostage. Should you take the emperor hostage yourself, by kidnapping him from the faction capital by siege or assault, the Han Empire territories swap sides and become a vassal of yours. Unfortunately by the time Lady Bian does this, the Han Empire – which begins the game rich and with lots of territory – has declined in value.

It really sounds like they've brought in elements of Crusader Kings 2's focus on colorful individual characters into Total War and placed it in one of the more interesting settings we've had for a war game.

Made worse that you can buy it for like $45 off fanatical with a gamestop code (~$49 without).

Still gotta wait, learned not to preorder. Even if they throw in the Yellow Turban faction.

There's still a few days before release but reviews have already been coming out so it's no longer a blind preorder. No one's reporting big technical issues. The option to buy it is growing tempting.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Mmm, new thread smell

Mmm, new target smell....

Oh great, now I'm gonna be sitting at work wondering what you've done until I can get home and turn on the computer

Oh I did something absolutely wonderful. Bwa ha ha ha!
    I wanted the blue tag on the thread so I could find it later. No one told me it was a trap until after I stepped in it
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Edit: I'm glad that I'm not the only one who posts to mark the thread to find later.

I used to do that before I discovered the bookmark feature. Now I just bookmark my favorites and have easy access to them when they update. Of course the trade off is having to manually browse the forum for new postings, but it’s not that big a deal.

I find the blue tag easier to spot when I'm on my PC, but the bookmark more prominent when I'm on my phone, partially because the forum's desktop and mobile themes are so different. It would be nice to be able to "un-check" blue tags for a few threads opened in error, but that's all. Because, you know, you get the blue tag for just opening a thread, not for posting in it... :wink:
    Unless I'm missing something again :lol:

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I only know how to bookmark and am confused by this blue tag you're all referring to.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    On the desktop site, threads you have viewed that have new posts show up as blue. That's what I assume they mean. Otherwise it's another term for the bookmark.

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I only know how to bookmark and am confused by this blue tag you're all referring to.

In the subforum thread list, to the left of the thread title, on the desktop site. It's orange for a thread you haven't clicked on, blue for one you have.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

In the subforum thread list, to the left of the thread title, on the desktop site. It's orange for a thread you haven't clicked on, blue for one you have.

Oh, okay, yes I guess I couldn't make the mental connection to "blue tag"

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

In the year 2019, PC games cost $30 3 months after release.
    In the year 2025, PC games will cost $10 3 months after release.
    In the year 2035, PC games will cost $2, a bottle cap, and some pocket lint 3 weeks after release.

False. By 2035 bottle caps will be the only currency.

Currency. Currency never changes.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Mmm, new thread smell

Oh great, now I'm gonna be sitting at work wondering what you've done until I can get home and turn on the computer

I wanted the blue tag on the thread so I could find it later. No one told me it was a trap until after I stepped in it
    Edit: I'm glad that I'm not the only one who posts to mark the thread to find later.

I used to do that before I discovered the bookmark feature. Now I just bookmark my favorites and have easy access to them when they update. Of course the trade off is having to manually browse the forum for new postings, but it’s not that big a deal.

I find the blue tag easier to spot when I'm on my PC, but the bookmark more prominent when I'm on my phone, partially because the forum's desktop and mobile themes are so different. It would be nice to be able to "un-check" blue tags for a few threads opened in error, but that's all. Because, you know, you get the blue tag for just opening a thread, not for posting in it... :wink:

there's a dedicated bookmarks page which I think is how a lot of us use the forums. most of the time, I only visit the bookmarks page. if I run out of things to read/periodically just to see what's new, I'll venture into the forum proper.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I use the bright layout so there's nothing blue or yellow for me anywhere. I judge threads i've read by the new posts indicator.

E: Oh that little light thing on the left. Yeah that thing is barely noticeable for me. I've known what it is for a while and yet I forget every single time.

Aistan on
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I’ve been reading Marie Kondo’s Tidying Up books lately, and pondering about how to apply that to my digital game backlog. Score one for physical media here – I’m pretty sure if I haven’t even installed a game in fifteen years and have no desire to do so when I hold the disc in my hands, then it’s fair to say that the game fails to “Spark Joy” and is headed for the ebay or giveaway stack.

But what to do with digital? Obviously Steam and Amazon both have the ability to let you delete something from your account, but not only does that not feel right, I suspect that someone in thread would notice that I was suddenly an eligible Bad Rats target and the cycle would begin anew. That’s a game nobody wins.

For the moment, I think I’m just going to revise my HTLB custom category to “Not Interested” or something, and use Steam’s folders to help organize that specific train wreck. Anyone else got better ideas?

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I just randomly start clicking as the page loads, sometimes its the steam thread, sometimes its the sonic thread. On time it was the xcom thread. Oh what a day that was.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    About 4 years ago Steam thread talked me into trying out a vertical mouse. I've been using it ever since.

Using in home streaming became viable in my house with the last year, and right now I'm playing through BL Enhanced. It is the first time I've done much FPS on my laptop with a regular style mouse in the above mentioned 4 years. I have developed wrist pain. Beware of the dangers Steamlink

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    twmjr wrote: »
    Mmm, new thread smell

there's a dedicated bookmarks page which I think is how a lot of us use the forums. most of the time, I only visit the bookmarks page. if I run out of things to read/periodically just to see what's new, I'll venture into the forum proper.

I know of it, I just never got into the habit :)

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    I’ve been reading Marie Kondo’s Tidying Up books lately, and pondering about how to apply that to my digital game backlog. Score one for physical media here – I’m pretty sure if I haven’t even installed a game in fifteen years and have no desire to do so when I hold the disc in my hands, then it’s fair to say that the game fails to “Spark Joy” and is headed for the ebay or giveaway stack.

But what to do with digital? Obviously Steam and Amazon both have the ability to let you delete something from your account, but not only does that not feel right, I suspect that someone in thread would notice that I was suddenly an eligible Bad Rats target and the cycle would begin anew. That’s a game nobody wins.

For the moment, I think I’m just going to revise my HTLB custom category to “Not Interested” or something, and use Steam’s folders to help organize that specific train wreck. Anyone else got better ideas?

Steam Categories > Hide this game.

That's where all my retired games go. Or game entries that are old news, as it were. Like, Letterquest got an updated thing, so I installed the new one, dumped the old one into "hidden".

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    About 4 years ago Steam thread talked me into trying out a vertical mouse. I've been using it ever since.

Using in home streaming became viable in my house with the last year, and right now I'm playing through BL Enhanced. It is the first time I've done much FPS on my laptop with a regular style mouse in the above mentioned 4 years. I have developed wrist pain. Beware of the dangers Steamlink

I use a vertical mouse at work, but not at home. Is a vertical mouse okay for gaming? I have accuracy issues from time to time so I haven't gone that route at home.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

I have a category called The Oubliette. It's where games go to be forgotten...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

Q4uyjEN.png

• Options
    I just named that category Ugh.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

Q4uyjEN.png

blind
    complaining about his dark cell

🤔

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Q4uyjEN.png

blind

🤔

To be fair, in addition to being blind he might also be insane by way of syphilis

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

I use a vertical mouse at work, but not at home. Is a vertical mouse okay for gaming? I have accuracy issues from time to time so I haven't gone that route at home.

I don't play super competitive twitchy precise gaming, but my ~$8 vertical mouse does fine for what I play.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I dislike when I accidentally click a thread and I'm stuck with the blue bookmark tag until the thread reaches 100 or forever

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I don't know if anyone is interested, but Tim Fower (mostly known for board games like Burgle Bros, Paperback, and Fugitive) is making a videogame that's a cross between Peggle and Plants vs Zombies. While it's not technically a Kickstarter, it is in a funding mode during alpha, so I won't link it here just in case.

The game is called PegLeg and looks great so far. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luqkm9sLAdQ

Coming to Steam after it leaves alpha.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    GMG has a Birthday sale with flash deals and some package deals

Monster Hunter World (standard) for $30
    Surviving Mars for $10 with a voucher for one DLC (only older, not newer)

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    GMG has a Birthday sale with flash deals and some package deals

Monster Hunter World (standard) for $30
    Surviving Mars for $10 with a voucher for one DLC (only older, not newer)

FWIW, VoidU has the First Colony edition of Surviving Mars that has all the DLC for £13 after coupon. That’s about $15, worth a look if you’ll want the DLC.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »

Q4uyjEN.png

blind

🤔

To be fair, in addition to being blind he might also be insane by way of syphilis

I'm imagining the poor dude in that 'room of lights' from Red Sonja:
    kpp407mr28y3.png

LD50 on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    You mean the poor dude who has to keep all those candles lit, right? I've never seen the movie i'm just going to assume that's what the scene is about and she beats him up if one ever goes out and isn't re-lit in less than a minute.

Aistan on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Watched that movie as a kid and didnt know it was a revenge story till I was 30.

Took all the fun out of it

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Watched that movie as a kid and didnt know it was a revenge story till I was 30.

Took all the fun out of it

It was his sled.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I finally got around to beating Life Is Strange yesterday. One more title to cross off the backlog so I celebrated by impulse buying The Silent Age, adding one more title to the backlog.

• Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    Messing around with a free to play game when someone just couldn't wait anymore and dropped a code into a msg...
    @Karoz Thanks so much! Completely forgot about this bit of DLC for Subnautica: Below Zero. Or maybe its a stand alone game? Anyway it goes I will be taking this fish back to the depths soon!

Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I just named that category Ugh.

“Doesn’t Spark Joy” it is then. 😀

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

In the year 2019, PC games cost $30 3 months after release.
    In the year 2025, PC games will cost $10 3 months after release.
    In the year 2035, PC games will cost $2, a bottle cap, and some pocket lint 3 weeks after release.

False. By 2035 bottle caps will be the only currency.

Currency. Currency never changes.

This is untrue!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I get home from work commute, turn on the computer, and find myself assailed from eight directions at once in a single moment. When I regained my senses there was naught but a gift window remaining.

1AGTrrsl.png

Thank you @MNC Dover for Octopath Traveler!

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Steam's DS4 support is getting worse over time.

Not that using a DS4 on PC has ever been as straightforward as it should be.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    So apparently now Borderlands 3 pre-orders have been deactivated due to the Epic Store sale.

Gosh, if only there had been some way Epic could have predicted that the companies who jumped ship to them because Tim Sweeney backed dumper trucks full of cash up to their doorsteps would be so touchy about money. But, alas.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Steam's DS4 support is getting worse over time.

Not that using a DS4 on PC has ever been as straightforward as it should be.

I’ve found recently that unchecking the DS4 box in big picture mode gets the PS4 prompts working in games that use it.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    So apparently now Borderlands 3 pre-orders have been deactivated due to the Epic Store sale.

This feels incompetent. Did they not clear this stuff with the developers beforehand? Also, why did Vampire need to remove their entire game from the store instead of just not participating in the sale?

Also, further evidence that a higher profit margin doesn't mean games will be any cheaper and Metro was the anomaly.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Epic Games are so blatantly bad at running their store.

We want you to use our store because it's better than Steam and gives more money to deveopers! *people note that it's very much worse than Steam*
    We're buying exclusives to make you shop there because competition! *people hate this* We aren't doing this anymore! Oh, by the way, we just did it again!
    *people note that it's actually spyware* Lies and slander! *keep doing it*
    We're not doing sales because it's bad for everyone! *does a sale where they eat the cost because obviously they told developers they weren't doing sales*

Just... Make a better store. Make a store that is feature rich, user friendly, doesn't broadly search PCs for information on your competitors and is good for developers and you'll attract a customer base.

-Loki- on
This discussion has been closed.