As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] 'Look, I'm a stamp!'

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    So apparently now Borderlands 3 pre-orders have been deactivated due to the Epic Store sale.

This feels incompetent. Did they not clear this stuff with the developers beforehand? Also, why did Vampire need to remove their entire game from the store instead of just not participating in the sale?

Also, further evidence that a higher profit margin doesn't mean games will be any cheaper and Metro was the anomaly.

Epic probably didn't code the opt out from sale mechanism

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Plus it wasn't just Vampire. All Ubi games were pulled

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Me, in chat: Hey, they released a solo-player version of Talisman.
    Pixie:

30i50d4dnon6.png

Ceiling Cat, I should know better than to mention things when people like @Pixelated Pixie are stalking about. Thanks for Talisman: Origins!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

All according to plan.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Everyone acting like Epic is Lexcorp, when really it's Doofenshmirtz Inc.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Just deleted an hour of warband because i threw myself into a meat grinder and the grinder won

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

To be fair, the ubi games were pulled before the sale

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Finished Lisa: The Painful and now going through the DLC. This game is some heavy shit.

Gonna need to play a lot of life affirming Mario Oddssey to perk myself back up after this.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    It's so weird how Crosscode emulates the feeling of playing an MMO despite being a singleplayer game, even on a meta level with its content updates. Like, the arena mode update comes with new gear an cosmetics attached to a new activity that gives you the currency you need to get them. It feels like doing the new endgame of the latest expansion in microcosm.

cB557 on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    So apparently now Borderlands 3 pre-orders have been deactivated due to the Epic Store sale.

This feels incompetent. Did they not clear this stuff with the developers beforehand? Also, why did Vampire need to remove their entire game from the store instead of just not participating in the sale?

Also, further evidence that a higher profit margin doesn't mean games will be any cheaper and Metro was the anomaly.

Epic probably didn't code the opt out from sale mechanism

Apparently the way they worked it, Epic footed the discount out of their cut so the developer cut wasn't changed. Might have just figured devs would enjoy the sales bump and not complain since it didn't cut into their per-unit revenue.

Eurogamer had one dev comment about why they'd pulled their game for the duration of the sale - their game was in pre-order, as were several other games (not to mention some brand new releases). Most of the pulled stuff was either in that category, or from the same dev/publisher as something that was and they pulled their whole catalog or a lot of it.

There's a strategy to discounts that goes past the per-unit cut. You launch full price, and when sales start to dry up you use a first-discount sale to bump them, catching people who were on the fence at first. If you do that too early, you can devalue the game, giving the fence sitters the perception that the sale price is the "right" price, so once they make the decision they're liable to wait for an even bigger sale down the road, while you cut a deal to a chunk of people who would have paid full price.

So even if they're getting the same cut at their end, their logic is that now they'll need to cut deeper to get the full effect of the first-discount bump.

This stuff is way outside my wheelhouse, I know just enough about marketing stuff to know that some of it works and some of it doesn't and when it comes down to it the economy just kind of stumbles around throwing shit at the walls, but it's still a strategy that companies believe in and are committed to, so I certainly understand some outrage in having a vendor interfere with that strategy even if it doesn't do anything to their immediate returns.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

This was basically a dev abusing his reputation as a sim developer to sell manuals to flight sim or fighter enthusiasts outside the US and make money on the side.

That said, Eagle Dynamics does put a lot of effort in making their sims as authentic as they can given unclassified information. They actually have a partnership with Boeing for their F/A-18 module, to the point that Boeing send them the actual audio files used for the Hornet's Bitching Betty.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    EDIT: I'm an idiot. PM for codes so you can have both Carcassonne and Inns & Cathedrals!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Apparently Ubisoft have removed their games for a different reason - Epic buggered their uPlay connection.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Apparently Ubisoft have removed their games for a different reason - Epic buggered their uPlay connection.

This just keeps getting better and better. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

This just keeps getting better and better. :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B01e7n4RzZc

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Finished Lisa: The Painful and now going through the DLC. This game is some heavy shit.

Gonna need to play a lot of life affirming Mario Oddssey to perk myself back up after this.

I liked the concept of lisa. But yeah the way the story works was like the one single case where I just can’t bring myself to go through that.

• Options
    Re: Epic

How are they so bad at this?

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »

Needs to be a skyrim mod.

Dragon priests are proletariat champions

About to crush the nords, one castle left.

I have asked for a city i conquered so that I may lead our expansion east, into the deserts.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

Money can do a lot of things, but it can't buy class experience, especially like Steam's. Steam may not moneyhat titles, but they sure as fuck know what they're doing store-wise.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Epic fail.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Money can do a lot of things, but it can't buy class experience, especially like Steam's. Steam may not moneyhat titles, but they sure as fuck know what they're doing store-wise.

I guess I just assumed a higher degree of competency when they said they hired the Steam Spy guy.

Either the dark magicks of Steam yet require more blood sacrifices or Epic is doing like most which is doing the bare minimum to be profitable.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I watched the noclip Half Life 2 documentary, and it was really good for not having anyone from valve actually contribute. Saw that there's a team actually making episode 3 from that blog the ex-dev made? That's cool. Then saw that Black Mesa is actually nearing completion with Xen looking to be done soon(ish)?

Time to reinstall Half Life. Haven't played Half Life 2 for... over ten years. Holy crap. Also someone did a nice graphics update. Might buy Black Mesa now, I held off because I never expected it to actually finish.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Speaking of Half Life 2, Digital Foundry just did a pretty interesting ray tracing mod video on it:
    https://youtu.be/6O9mik6LESQ

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

I guess I just assumed a higher degree of competency when they said they hired the Steam Spy guy.

Either the dark magicks of Steam yet require more blood sacrifices or Epic is doing like most which is doing the bare minimum to be profitable.

I dunno, if the selected tweets that Era keeps posting from him are any indication, he may be one of the ones driving the crazy train

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FlorinFlorin Registered User regular
    I watched the noclip Half Life 2 documentary, and it was really good for not having anyone from valve actually contribute. Saw that there's a team actually making episode 3 from that blog the ex-dev made? That's cool. Then saw that Black Mesa is actually nearing completion with Xen looking to be done soon(ish)?

Time to reinstall Half Life. Haven't played Half Life 2 for... over ten years. Holy crap. Also someone did a nice graphics update. Might buy Black Mesa now, I held off because I never expected it to actually finish.

If you don't mind using mods, here's one you should consider. I tried it recently and the gunplay feels so good, I couldn't stop myself from playing.

https://youtu.be/LiM06PQ_uPg

Also someone made a lighting update and it works with the mod from above. It doesn't change much, except for Ravenholm which looks glorious.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/290930/HalfLife_2_Update/

• Options
    Yeah Half Life 2 update is the graphiocs mod I mentioned. Just downloaded MMOD too. Hopefully I can give these a whirl soon.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    So I just finished the Quiet mission. All I can say is: Ashamed of my Words and deeds, go fuck yourself, Kojima.

The game is pretty fun, which is good, because everything around it, from the ultra-minimal dialogue to the aesthetic is... not my cup of tea.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

...are we implying Valve are good at this? Because Valve are really not good at this. They just benefit from having been the first to achieve critical mass, but they've historically been nearly as incompetent about Steam as Epic about their storefront.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »

...are we implying Valve are good at this? Because Valve are really not good at this. They just benefit from having been the first to achieve critical mass, but they've historically been nearly as incompetent about Steam as Epic about their storefront.

There’s something to be gained by observing someone’s failures.

Epic seems to not be gaining anything. Valve didn’t have anyone to observe in the first place.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I think we went over this about 3 months ago. All Epic had to do was fix what Valve wouldn't and everyone would love them. And yet, Epic doesn't even have a Cart. Flesh out your platform (and stop with the exclusivity bullshit) and the customers will come.

Instead, they hire the Steam Spy guy, who - surprise! - doesn't know how to build a Store. He only knows how to harvest and manage data.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

That damn black mesa.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    The problem publishers have with the Epic sale is a price integrity issue.

It's why wagjag/groupon/etc is so bad for most businesses. They convince the business that by offering a deep discount on their product/service, they can get truckloads of sales for them. And they can. So there's exposure, brand awareness, and a cash influx where there otherwise wouldn't be. Even if the deep discount completely obliterated your margin, the pitch is that you've gained all these new customers.

The underlying, fundamental problem with this strategy is that you've just told all those new customers your product/service is worth what they just paid for it. So when that customer comes back again, and your price is suddenly double, they don't see the value.

There are some exceptions, and there are a lot of consumer behaviour concepts that play into it too (you generally want a customer to see value before price) but all around, it's very short-sighted, devalues your brand, and you're left where you started with a bunch of sales that were below cost or close to it.

For Epic, they're in a growth stage and don't GAF about margins right now. They have that Fortnite money to just dump into the store to make it attractive to developers, and then they subsidize deep discounts to get traffic to their store. But again, this is bad for both customers and developers.

You're telling the customers these games are really worth x when they developers set the price at y. Next time you release a game, the chances those customers pre-order at the regular price is lower. They'll wait for a sale.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Also, is noone who has bought games on Epic concerned that if it finally flops, their games are all gone?

Same risk as any digital service, but Epic is making some bad decisions, and their business model is disliked by a signficant chunk of the market. And as a developer? I would not want to part of this shit if I made my game exclusive on Epic and then suddenly down it went.. good luck earning consumer confidence again.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Valve could do a lot better, but Epic is doing everything a lot worse.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Is steam chat broken for others?

Edit* seems to have fixed itself ... silly drunk steam

TetraRay on
    Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options