Options

[Steam] 'Look, I'm a stamp!'

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    In regards to "Does the Epic store need a cart."

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm trying to understand why I'm so bored by Borderlands 2 that I can't even be brought to finish a level before shutting it down and playing something else.

I think I'll try other classes, but I dunno.

I played the everloving shit out of the first Borderlands, I don't know why I'm having this problem.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    I’m not going to say it’s easy, but just as a point of comparison, the last payment solution I was involved in implementing was an off-the-rack third party job; it had a cart. It took a team of four or five maybe four weeks to code the integration and test it, and another week to put it live. Add vendor selection and analysis, it was maybe two months work.

Given the bodies they have available I’m surprised the cart is that far out; it’s a quick, low resource win. Which suggests the other components have been prioritised for being in worse shape.

It really is bizarre, given their resources, that they went live in this state. I assume there’s a lot of ticked off people at ground level trying not to say ‘I told you so’ to their bosses.

Oculus doesn't have a cart, either, and that's been up for three years for the Rift (maybe longer for GearVR, I don't know). Origin's been going cartless for eight years. I do think it's pretty crappy, and in neither case do I ever look at their sales. In Oculus' case I set wishlist sale alerts on a few games that I'm interested in, and on Origin I might buy something if it's mentioned on Slickdeals.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand why I'm so bored by Borderlands 2 that I can't even be brought to finish a level before shutting it down and playing something else.

I played the everloving shit out of the first Borderlands, I don't know why I'm having this problem.

What class are you playing as?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options

What class are you playing as?

Turret man.

In the first Borderlands I played as the Siren and Brick almost exclusively. None of the 4 classes (I don't have the DLC) seem to provide what Brick or the Siren gave me.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Because much as I love it, BL2 is very much a slow start game.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Needs more Gaige.

Gaige is always the answer.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I think half of my problem is that I'm playing solo, and the other half is, after looking at the skill trees for the other classes, that I've picked the most boring class. I think I'll start over with Zero tonight.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Once you've played through the entire game twice, you finally have enough abilities to make the combat interesting. Until you start a new character, that is.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Eager for payday so I can buy a new cpu cooler and run my pc without fear

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Once you've played through the entire game twice, you finally have enough abilities to make the combat interesting. Until you start a new character, that is.

That....is a buzzkill.

• Options

That....is a buzzkill.
    If you're on PC, just cheat.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

That....is a buzzkill.

It's also not entirely accurate. Maya feels useful immediately after getting her action skill. Same with Axton and Gaige. Salvador pretty quickly becomes a lead-spewing machine.

The key is to look at the trees, make a plan, and stick to it.

You're right, though, that everything is better in coop. Enemies are tougher and multiple action skills and grenade types firing simultaneously ratchets up the fun.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    What simultaneously boggles my mind and makes me chuckle is that you can set up an ecommerce website via SquareSpace within about 1-2 hrs -- and it has a shopping cart.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I’m not going to say it’s easy, but just as a point of comparison, the last payment solution I was involved in implementing was an off-the-rack third party job; it had a cart. It took a team of four or five maybe four weeks to code the integration and test it, and another week to put it live. Add vendor selection and analysis, it was maybe two months work.

Given the bodies they have available I’m surprised the cart is that far out; it’s a quick, low resource win. Which suggests the other components have been prioritised for being in worse shape.

It really is bizarre, given their resources, that they went live in this state. I assume there’s a lot of ticked off people at ground level trying not to say ‘I told you so’ to their bosses.

Oculus doesn't have a cart, either, and that's been up for three years for the Rift (maybe longer for GearVR, I don't know). Origin's been going cartless for eight years. I do think it's pretty crappy, and in neither case do I ever look at their sales. In Oculus' case I set wishlist sale alerts on a few games that I'm interested in, and on Origin I might buy something if it's mentioned on Slickdeals.

Origin is mostly just one publisher with some outside non-exclusives. The likelihood of me buying multiple games at once is low. Maybe some day I'll get a Mass Effect itch and buy all three on PC (had them on the 360 originally), but I don't see many situations to do that even during a big sale.

Steam is a supermarket. Sure, I go to the supermarket for just one thing a lot, but when I am buying a ton of things, it'll be there.

• Options

That....is a buzzkill.
    If you're on PC, just cheat.

Gibbed same editor, duplicate save, change class, slip the slow grind.

You really should be able to create a new toon on level with any difficulty you've unlocked.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Eager for payday so I can buy a new cpu cooler and run my pc without fear

But it's pretty good though IMO
    220px-FEAR_DVD_box_art.jpg

• Options
    jclast wrote: »

That....is a buzzkill.

It's also not entirely accurate. Maya feels useful immediately after getting her action skill. Same with Axton and Gaige. Salvador pretty quickly becomes a lead-spewing machine.

You're right, though, that everything is better in coop. Enemies are tougher and multiple action skills and grenade types firing simultaneously ratchets up the fun.
    They're useful, I just don't think they're interesting, or at least not interesting enough on their own. You don't really do anything with Axton's turret and Deathtrap, they just automatically target stuff, so they don't really make things more interesting. Maya does have some decision making with her's, so it does make things more interesting, but it's still not really interesting enough. Haven't used Salvador, so I can't speak on that.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    When I bought the mass effect series a few months back, I literally had to do four purchases (would have been five if I hadn't had a free copy of Mass Effect 2 on that account from years back.)

And given I wasn't about to store my credit card info on thier service, I had to punch that thing in four times in a row.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »

Origin is mostly just one publisher with some outside non-exclusives. The likelihood of me buying multiple games at once is low. Maybe some day I'll get a Mass Effect itch and buy all three on PC (had them on the 360 originally), but I don't see many situations to do that even during a big sale.

Steam is a supermarket. Sure, I go to the supermarket for just one thing a lot, but when I am buying a ton of things, it'll be there.

I can't say for sure about Origin - I know back in November the Mass Effect DLCs were on sale so I picked them up, but almost stopped after the first one. They have a few dozen non-EA games, including Assassin's Creed and Far Cry titles, but it's possible they're just there as incentives for their subscription program.

I'm sure that Oculus wants people to buy a bunch of stuff from their store. They run sales every month or so, and I don't even know why they bother.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    New Humble Bundle:

$1:
    • Punch Club
    • The Final Station
    • Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor
    • SpeedRunners

BTA:
    • Hello Neighbor
    • Streets of Rogue (Early Access)
    • ClusterTruck
    • Party Hard
    • Party Hard: High Crimes DLC

$13:
    • Party Hard 2
    • Graveyard Keeper

• Options

That....is a buzzkill.

I might give Maya a try.

When I played Borderlands Uno I started with the Siren, and just, fuckin', ran around. I'd run at the bad guys, explode, explode again, fire my SMG for half a second, explode, explode again, it was fast and fun.

And Brick, I did a Rocket Launcher+Punchy build that used zero tank points whatsoever. I'd almost permanently be in Berserk and I loved it.

Gunslinger never grabbed me. Soldier felt boring until the game where I was playing with 3 other Bricks and I became their medic. Brick fall down? I throw grenade at Brick. Brick get back up. But in single player, holy shit Soldier was boring. Feeling that way with Axton right now.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Not related to Steam but...
    You can grab the base edition of The Sims 4 for free on Origin:

1011164_LB_231x326_en_US_^_2017-05-01-16-52-46_837819e9d8bbcfa1756c58eb5e93f595127edd01.jpg

https://www.origin.com/esp/en-us/store/the-sims/the-sims-4

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure this is the last week to decide whether you really want BlackOps4 via Humble Montly or not.

• Options

That....is a buzzkill.

I might give Maya a try.

When I played Borderlands Uno I started with the Siren, and just, fuckin', ran around. I'd run at the bad guys, explode, explode again, fire my SMG for half a second, explode, explode again, it was fast and fun.

And Brick, I did a Rocket Launcher+Punchy build that used zero tank points whatsoever. I'd almost permanently be in Berserk and I loved it.

Gunslinger never grabbed me. Soldier felt boring until the game where I was playing with 3 other Bricks and I became their medic. Brick fall down? I throw grenade at Brick. Brick get back up. But in single player, holy shit Soldier was boring. Feeling that way with Axton right now.
    I think Axton has a pretty dull start with that turret, but he does get fun stuff like everyone else. His kill skills that reduce recoil, increase fire rate, and increase movement speed can make for some fun run and gun stuff once you get there, for example.

• Options

That....is a buzzkill.

I might give Maya a try.

I think Axton has a pretty dull start with that turret, but he does get fun stuff like everyone else. His kill skills that reduce recoil, increase fire rate, and increase movement speed can make for some fun run and gun stuff once you get there, for example.

I'm running Roland in BL1 right now and he's more fun than I expected. Got a bitching shotgun build going on and walk around melting faces. Turret's not amazing, but it is handy.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Gaige Anarchy low capacity shotguns

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Gaige Anarchy low capacity shotguns

It is the way and the light.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    [
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Not related to Steam but...
    You can grab the base edition of The Sims 4 for free on Origin:

1011164_LB_231x326_en_US_^_2017-05-01-16-52-46_837819e9d8bbcfa1756c58eb5e93f595127edd01.jpg

https://www.origin.com/esp/en-us/store/the-sims/the-sims-4

The Holiday Celebration Pack is free right now too.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/store/mac-pc-download-addon-holiday-celebration-pack

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Roland lazer beam build was my bread and butter for solo stuff in Borderlands 1. Highest ROF and Mag size Assault Rifle you can find, the on-kill skill that increases ROF and decreases recoil, hold down trigger.

I'm kinda sad that Assault Rifles were just not good at all in BL2.

destroyah87 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Like most of these looter shooter games it is also more fun with a buddy.

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Following up on a post from the previous thread (thanks @Ed Gruberman and @Jazz for the advice!) I was able to get my Steam Link app up and running. Like Jazz said, once I paired my iPhone app and PC over my home LAN, I was then able to connect to my PC from any other network.

One gotcha that I discovered is that my computer has to be unlocked for the Steam Link to spool up a game. That's not ordinarily a problem, but does make for an interesting observation.

Further experimentation is definitely required to figure out what plays best on my little iPhone screen. Action games are probably out, as is anything that really wants a decent analog stick for direction control. Maybe some VNs? At the very least, it makes for an easy way to manage my Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms progress during lunch.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    A big part of having fun in BL2 is figuring out what weapons don't need too specific a roll to be fun, which is usually about what sorts of weapons recoil isn't a big deal for. Basically every assault rifle or SMG needs a really high stability roll to be good, for example, but most snipers will work pretty well since recoil isn't too big a deal for a high alpha/low ROF weapon type like them. Shotguns tend to do OK since it doesn't matter too much that your gun is swaying like a sailor on shore leave if the barrel is halfway into the enemy's torso.
    IMO, Hyperion pistols take the cake as the most reliable weapon type in the game. They get to max accuracy within like a quarter of the magazine, they lose it slowly enough that while you'll want to be aggressive, you don't have to commit to dumping the entire entire mag without stopping at all to maintain accuracy. Or, to put it another way, if you're not playing lame then you've got a weapon with no recoil and great accuracy. This all even applies to hipfire bloom so you can just hipfire all the time and use the reticule instead of the shitty irons this game has, and not take the ADS movement penalty. The only downside is that their ammo efficiency tends to be a bit below average, but not cripplingly so, and their paper doll DPS is a bit below average as well, which is made up for by how you can reliably dump an entire mag into an enemy's head at mid range.

cB557 on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Following up on a post from the previous thread (thanks Ed Gruberman and Jazz for the advice!) I was able to get my Steam Link app up and running. Like Jazz said, once I paired my iPhone app and PC over my home LAN, I was then able to connect to my PC from any other network.

One gotcha that I discovered is that my computer has to be unlocked for the Steam Link to spool up a game. That's not ordinarily a problem, but does make for an interesting observation.

Further experimentation is definitely required to figure out what plays best on my little iPhone screen. Action games are probably out, as is anything that really wants a decent analog stick for direction control. Maybe some VNs? At the very least, it makes for an easy way to manage my Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms progress during lunch.

I can't take the credit for that, that was @dresdenphile 's suggestion, they deserve the plaudits for that! (Link!) All I did was point out XCOM is available on phones :)

Jazz on
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for putting credit where it's due. Between trying to grok the intricacies of C++, Python 3, neuvo Javascript, and recovering from running my first marathon, my brain is kind of a ball of mush right now.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Good Lord, I'm not surprised :lol:

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Given how this sale appeared out of nowhere, with none of the devs/publishers appearing to have been informed, I have to wonder if it wasn't a response to the store not taking off like they expected it to. Epic still seems pretty flabbergasted about the opposition towards their store. Like, they had some real "we'll be greeted as liberators" type thoughts when they went into this and that hasn't quite panned out like they thought.

I'm not sure why they'd expect it to take off. Overcoming inertia is hard and having product to sell is only part of the equation. A professional storefront with robust account security matters too. Tossing money around like they have without putting a lot of thought into the storefront looks amateurish. They look like they have no clue what they're doing and that doesn't exactly instill confidence. Sure you can buy stuff from Epic but is their digital storefront still going to be around in two years? Or will it fold due to their incompetence and you'll have to buy that stuff all over again.

Anyway. Surviving Mars is pretty fun. I made a colony! Then a meteor storm eliminated half my oxygen production and now it’s more some buildings lined with a thin organic soup. Oops.
    Yeah I imagine things like "having to manually enter every new game" would probably be more important

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Second day off from work and I finished another game! Witcher 3 is finally beaten after many, many amazing hours. I managed to get the best ending possible too with every single tangent of the story and world having a positive outcome. Genuinely chuffed to bits!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Another day another GMG flash sale

Today is Civ 6 and XCOM 2

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    Another day another GMG flash sale

Today is Civ 6 and XCOM 2

Ok. XCOM 2: WotC or The Collection? Is there enough added value to the Collection if I've never played XCOM before?

This discussion has been closed.