Options

[Steam] 'Look, I'm a stamp!'

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    XCOM percentages are based on Blood Bowl dice, Trump "facts", and one of those booths that blows money all around while you try to grab as much as you can.

The trick to that last one is pulling your shirt out to catch the money like a wind sock

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    That sounds like a tall order and oh look no Linux client, again.

Does Linux even have multiple clients to gather?

Not sure! Everyone says they'll eventually have a Linux client, and I continue to not hold my breath.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    XCOM percentages are based on Blood Bowl dice, Trump "facts", and one of those booths that blows money all around while you try to grab as much as you can.

The trick to that last one is pulling your shirt out to catch the money like a wind sock

But in XCOM, once you had the money and open the door you get headshot and die from across the map.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Wasn't there an option in one XCOM game to change the RNG to an actual RNG, the obvious implication being that, as so many of us have suspected for so long, the normal one actually isn't?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Wasn't there an option in one XCOM game to change the RNG to an actual RNG, the obvious implication being that, as so many of us have suspected for so long, the normal one actually isn't?

Yes. Because by default the RNG boosted things in favor of the player because people's perceptions of actual RNG are that it's biased against them.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    The normal xcom rng isn't accurate but not in the way people think. Humans are bad at recognizing probabilities, so when the 90% chance to hit misses they say bullshit instead of realizing yeah that'll happen 1/10 of the time.

So the game cheats in your favor. On lower difficulties it's lying to you to make you feel like you're making more clutch shots and beating the odds.

Higher difficulties it makes it accurate again and that leads to the perception problem as "sure things" occasionally miss.

Aistan on
  • Options

Yes. Because by default the RNG boosted things in favor of the player because people's perceptions of actual RNG are that it's biased against them.

I remember as well there was one that if you save scummed and reloaded, the RNG wouldn't turn out the same seeded result (as it normally would), but would create a fresh roll each time.

I do wonder about the behind-the-scenes modifiers, tabletop-style.

• Options
    I'm the guy who groans and feels severe physical pain when I'm playing an RPG or board game that uses dice, and a player switches their dice because "these aren't working tonight."

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    As we all know, all you need is 35%.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    70% of the time it works 100% of the time.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

Short answer: No.

Long answer: You may be thinking of the "enable save scumming". This made it so that the RNG seed was NOT saved. Default behavior is that it would be saved, so if you reload a mission and take the exact same actions, it will have the exact same outcome, because all the random numbers will be the same. Enabling save scumming means you'll get a new set of numbers when loading an old save. You could interpret this as "hah it's not really random then" but that would be inaccurate.

Alternatively, you may be thinking of higher difficulties altering your hit chances. This is a thing, but there was no particular option for it. On lower difficulties, you'd get bonuses to your to-hit in various ways, such as a stacking bonus to hit chance after you miss (>50%) shots, or a straight bonus (also hidden, in addition to the non-hidden bonuses) to your hit chance. The aliens also would get hit penalties, especially after they hit you and, on the lower difficulties, HUGE penalties when you lose units.

None of that is "the RNG is fake". Just that the numbers displayed to you are lies. However, they're all lies in your favor. And, despite all this shady cheating, people still complain the game is rigged against them.

Firaxis has a long series of games where you're given "you have a 75% chance to succeed!" and have found that, when players fail 25% of the time, they unfailiningly feel that they have been cheated. So they have decided the best option is just to display numbers that are substantially lower than the actual odds. See also: Fire Emblem.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I like bitching about the XCOM RNG because it amuses me to do so.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Also because even with the above points being true, it still is the dice killing you. If I die in Dark Souls, it's because I'm not good at dark souls. If I die in XCOM, it's because fucking RNG definitely not my fault no siree it's the fucking RNG.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Oh they did something in XCOM2 to change the seeded rolls? I’m a save scummer so that annoyed the shit out of me. Time to give it another go.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Also because even with the above points being true, it still is the dice killing you. If I die in Dark Souls, it's because I'm not good at dark souls. If I die in XCOM, it's because fucking RNG definitely not my fault no siree it's the fucking RNG.
    On the micro scale it can be pretty random, but on the campaign scale success or failure is ultimately about player skill.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Speaking of which:

https://youtu.be/6Y9sdBdMXlI

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    We all knew something like this was coming. it is the logical next step of the market fragmentation.

however
    Steam already lets me combine all my games into one library (except for those titles that deliberately break the add a non-steam game function)
    other clients such as uplay allow you to import your friends list from steam.
    we are already most the way there with what GoGGalaxy is going to do.

I could see value in automatically scraping your libraries to pull that information, instead of manually setting up shortcuts, setting up entries even for games you don't have installed. I'd especially appreciate it if it could make the combined library visible through the browser interface, but since this is a Galaxy announcement that's wishful thinking and not an expectation.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

On the micro scale it can be pretty random, but on the campaign scale success or failure is ultimately about player skill.

*fingers in ears* Yup, all about the dice rolls. Totally random. So frustrating.

• Options
    FlorinFlorin Registered User regular
    Florin wrote: »
    Obligatory birthday gib, yay for another year gone forever.

signature.png

Last call!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Viking wrote: »
    We all knew something like this was coming. it is the logical next step of the market fragmentation.

however
    Steam already lets me combine all my games into one library (except for those titles that deliberately break the add a non-steam game function)
    other clients such as uplay allow you to import your friends list from steam.
    we are already most the way there with what GoGGalaxy is going to do.

I could see value in automatically scraping your libraries to pull that information, instead of manually setting up shortcuts, setting up entries even for games you don't have installed. I'd especially appreciate it if it could make the combined library visible through the browser interface, but since this is a Galaxy announcement that's wishful thinking and not an expectation.

Playnite does the automatic scraping already.

The silver bullet I'd like is a single application which can manage installations, but I'm guessing that's a pipe dream.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Alright, time again for the second annual Destroyah's Memorial Day and Memorial Day Adjacent Giveaway!

These are ending on May 28th, 10am cst.

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

Three of the most popular games in my friends' wishlists and two just for me.
    Gifts from Steam, not keys. Open to PA G&T Adventure Team. Enjoy!
    Daily Reminder
    CorriganX wrote: »
    "Memorial Day and Memorial Day adjacent" is a funny way of saying your Birthday Giveaways.
    Sure is!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I just like to imagine every game has it's own RNG chaos god ala Warhammer 40k lore; the XCOM RNG chaos god being particularly chaotic and devious. It likes it best when you play the hardest difficulty mode on Ironman. Blood for the Blood God!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    I just like to imagine every game has it's own RNG chaos god ala Warhammer 40k lore; the XCOM RNG chaos god being particularly chaotic and devious. It likes it best when you play the hardest difficulty mode on Ironman. Blood for the Blood God!

Praise Nuffles! (That's the Blood Bowl chaos god.)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Getting dogged on perfectly rational RNG doesn't stop my lizard brain from thinking I've been cheated when I've been plain old unlucky, but thankfully a solution to this has already been found.

I'm yet to find a game like it yet on PC but Mario XCOM on the Switch handles it in a way I think is more rational to humans. If you've got someone flanked or they're not in any cover, it's 100% chance to hit. If they're in half cover, it's 50%, if it's full cover it's 0%. It's really straightforward with the added spice of a small critical hit percentage on shots that hit. Coin tosses feel most fair to me

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    And if there's one thing Mario knows best it's coin tossing.

• Options
    Wait. Mario XCOM?

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Wait. Mario XCOM?

Wasn't that the mario + rabids game basically?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I presume that is what they are talking about.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Yep that's what I'm referring to. The name is very long and tiresome so, Mario XCOM. The best bite-sized tactical turn-based strategy game I've probably ever played

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    GOG Galaxy: there are now 12 aggregate clients.

• Options
    DoublySymmetricDoublySymmetric Registered User regular

I suddenly feel like it's the year 2000, and my friends just told me about Trillian. I guess this means that in 15 years the game storefronts will all boil down to 2: Apple's and Google's. :P

Steam - DoublySymmetric (43687993)
    Blizz ID - DoublySymm#1758
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Speaking of 50/50 AI RNG chaos gods...
    GJGjdHa.jpg

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Sid Meiers Civilization: Beyond Earth

Loading...?

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
  • Options
    I feel like This War of Mine should have made that list.

• Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    A few days late on posting this but I have been sucked into FF14 again X_X, a big thank you to @Karoz for Borderland the Pre-Sequel, apparently for not being my birthday... And @bloodatonement decided I needed to have more poop in my day and Super Pooped me! Thank you both of you <3
    tghp2pc0xxya.jpg
    3w7z0qa5jb37.jpg

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Humble Bundle giving out Jalopy for free for a limited time[/url]
    Just a note: They are giving away a DRM free version but it comes with a coupon to get a Steam key of the game for $1 in case you are interested.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Humble Bundle giving out Jalopy for free for a limited time[/url]
    Just a note: They are giving away a DRM free version but it comes with a coupon to get a Steam key of the game for $1 in case you are interested.
    Does that allow card drops then?

This discussion has been closed.