Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Storm March] Group 1 — First Light

135

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 29
    Hawthorne

    As you pull on your staff you soon find it’s stuck in the mud. You heave again, and are pulled almost to your knees!

    9yvo6rlguqqy.jpeg

    You’ve seen nothing like it. Slapping away at the mud are a trio of fish that appear to be surviving well enough on land. One has its jaws firmly locked around your staff.

    As you access the situation one bellyflops towards you and takes a hard snapping bite of air. It’s after you!

    If you want to free your staff, roll+STR.
    On a 10+, you’re good to go and deal your damage to the land fish.
    On a 7-9, choose one.
    - Leave the staff.
    - Free it and land in a bad spot.


    Doruthan

    The wet soil around you ignites and heat waves bend the air around you!

    The bird collides with you and continues running, but its sheer velocity causes it to lean dangerously, and it fails to find purchase after a few long strides away from you. It crashes into a giant mushroom. An egg lands on its head. The bird is dazed.

    You slide back, leaving two trails of scorched earth. Empowered by your success, you may add one more option to your Burning Brand.

    Endless_Serpents on
    ElvenshaeNipsMahnmut
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 29
    Exilis, Pereginus is being harassed, show these little birds a display of force. No roll required.

    In nature, oftentimes smaller birds may harass larger birds - a sparrow driving away a hawk, a bluejay standing up to an eagle - and cause them to depart. In most cases, the larger bird is unwilling to accept the chance of injury, however remote, and plays a safer, longer game.

    Peregrinus is a stubborn bird, and this is his patch of sky. He easily outpaces and outclimbs the smaller birds, diving and wheeling through their flock, and each pass sends two or three more falling to the ground in a slow rain of feathers and a quick rain of off-color blood.

    Exilis notes the new threat, and brings Iugo around - whistling for Peregrinus to return. But the smaller eagle ignores the call, focused on establishing its superiority in the air.

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Nips
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited May 29
    Doruthan spins on a planted foot, then slams the other down into a shoulder-wide stance. He spreads his flaming arms wide, then thunderously claps his hands together. The flames rush to his hands, and as he separates them in opposing vertical swings the fire forms a wicked-looking short-handled axe. The Inferno Made Man snaps both arms wide again, then snatches the immolating blade from the air.

    Doruthan then calls out. "IMANI, LET US MEET THIS BEAST WITH FLAME AND STEEL!"

    (Choosing to take the tag Close)
    (Also, I want to give @joshgotro a chance to be a cool fighter dude!)

    Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Elvenshae
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited May 29
    Well damn, Hawthorne thinks, nature sure is crowded.

    He gives the staff a good yank.

    [OOC: Custom move, roll+STR]
    Geth, roll 2d6+1

    EDIT: It's tough to get good leverage with the ground so soft and muddy, and while having to scarper around the fish that's trying to say hello. "Sorry, friend," he mutters, "but I'm -- gonna -- need -- this -- BACK!" Suddenly the staff is free of the biter, but Hawthorne sprawls backward and lands awkwardly in the mud.

    2d6+1 7 [2d6=1, 5]

    Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    ElvenshaeNips
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    You hit your head and squeeze your eyes shut. You see blurred visions of the moon and stars Hawthorne.

    When you scramble to your feet in the mud, choose one:
    - Lose a boot, and get the condition hobbling.
    - Get covered in dirt, and carry -1 forward.
    - Take damage from a land-fish!
    Then you’re good to go.

    Imani... Big man Imani!


    You access the situation with a practiced cool. Even now you occasionally feel the earrings, your right, pressed against your ears. You can take this thing easily.

    You are closest to the large flightless bird, it lets out a deep honk of rage, and turns to you. It flaps its short wings as a challenge, then pads forward with its head low. It’s not running yet (as it’s still dazed), so you have plenty of time to react.

    What do you do?

    Endless_Serpents on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    Hawthorne gets his eyes to focus -- just in time to see the mud-fish lunge for his boot. But sometimes the best way out is through: he twists to offer the fish a bite of his leg. He'll need that boot, too.

    [OOC: Aw yes honey, my first damage. Do I know how much damage?]

    Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    Hawthorne, the fish nips at your leg, but doesn’t hold on. You take 2 damage. Seems like it wants you out of its space, it is mating season here after all, perhaps it’s merely protecting eggs or newly hatched spawn.

    Geth roll 1d4

    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

    Endless_Serpents on
    Mahnmut
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    [OOC: In this case, I don't subtract my 1AC from Chainmail, because it's not fictionally protecting me, right?]

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    [OOC: Strictly speaking had you subtracted your armour I’d not have cared a bit, but yeah, you’re right, your chainmail wasn’t covering your leg. Just take 2 damage.

    On average when you take damage your armour matters unless I make a point of saying it ignores it.]

    Hawthorne, with Imani and Doruthan keeping that big bird busy, perhaps you have time to ask your deity for Guidance?

    These land-fish, now you see the wet mud they call home, can be carefully walked around without further trouble.

    MahnmutElvenshae
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    All right, free of fishes, a moment of stillness: "Sister," he prays, "You're going to love this...." Inwardly, mind's-eye, he offers up the story of meeting the platebacks and making friends with the little one. They're almost like back home, but so big! And that's the first time anyone we know has met a living thing this side of the Tempest wall.

    He's hoping for some quid-pro-quo -- if Sister Moon enjoys this small anecdote, maybe she'll share some Divine Guidance, a nudge in the right direction here and now.

    [OOC: I think that's how Divine Guidance works -- since my "petition according to my precept" is so broad, I expect not every anecdote gets an answer. I can always follow up by casting Guidance, a rote, for a simple point in the right direction]

    Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    6ltsc8dnz2fv.jpeg

    “Did you know,” says a voice like the drag of a cigarette a midnight, “that certain mushrooms have all manner of psychedelic properties?”

    It’s not the Sister herself, you know that, but an emissary of the Moon speaking only to you. It’s never really stopped making your hair stand on end.

    “There’s a particular one up on that ridge.”

    You feel yourself pulled to face it. Not far. An outcrop of mossy rock. Just above your head height, an easy climb. The first flightless bird came down from it.

    “That one gives off spores that send the giant ones into the mushroom equivalent of a panic when it feels threatened, which sends the surrounding animals into a spiral of mindless violence. Nature is rather fragile when an outside force presses down on it.”

    You hear the burn, the flick of ash, and the breath.

    “Preacher, what do you know about Doruthan?”

    Answer the question, or face the goddess’s scrutiny.

    [OOC: Sure is! But the longer you stay in the Storm March and the more expeditions by others happen, the less a simple tale will matter to your goddess. Over time a proper secret, something hidden, especially if someone wants it to remain that way, is what she’ll desire most.]

    Divine Guidance
    When you petition your deity according to the precept of your religion, you are granted some useful knowledge or boon related to your deity’s domain. The GM will tell you what.

    MahnmutNipsElvenshae
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    "Doruthan?" he says, eyebrows climbing. "Well, he's one of the meteor men, you know the story? Fell from heaven, no explanations given. He rides the Maykupuni. And, you know, fwooosh." He extends a hand to indicate whatever Doruthan's doing to the angry bird. "Though I don't think they all do that? I think I would have heard."

    Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    Nips
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The voice doesn’t reply. You sense the true purpose of the question was to make you ponder ‘Why is there so much left unknown about him and his kind?

    You might want to go on a few more expeditions with him...

    If you can catch Exilis’ attention he could give you a heads up on what’s on the ridge, but you’ll calm the place down quicker if you just go for it. How hard can it be to uproot a little mushroom?

    Staff in hand, you’ll have no trouble making it to the top.

    Are you going for it right away?

  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    You know, sometimes you want an expert. Hawthorn whistles sharply and waves up at Exilis with his staff. "Exilis!" he calls. "Word to the wise!"

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    Exilis hears the whistle, and glances away from the groundhawk (being competently handled by Doruthan so far) to see the white-haired priest trying to direct his attention to ... ah, yes, the ridgeline. The ridgeline where, early, Exilis had noted ...
    You notice large dents in the rock, some are outright cracked, and repeated markings of claws.

    Upon the lower ridges (well above your head height) of some giant mushrooms you see they’ve been smoothed by the rubbing of something. When you get closer the birds start shrieking and spitting. Parenthood provides courage, you think.

    ... and two large bird-beasts, at least, were accounted for, and though others might be present it would be unusual for such creatures to travel in larger groups. Scouts who rely on their guts instead of actually scouting don't tend to live very long, however, so Exilis urges Iugo higher and closer for a better view of Hawthorn's target, lamenting Peregrinus's continued engagement with the smaller birds.

    Geth, roll 2d6+1 to Discern Realities

    ED: What should I (Hawthorn) be on the lookout for?

    to Discern Realities:
    2d6+1 8 [2d6=5, 2]

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Mahnmut
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    What should Hawthorne be on the lookout for?

    There is a large nest made of stones and coughed up fur all but built around a strange little fungal growth.

    1ilj7hokpnus.jpeg

    Somehow it must entice predators to form their territory with it at the central point to provide it protection. The fungus isn’t intelligent, not as a person might be, but it appears to survive solely by manipulating other life around it.

    One should be wary to take the best possible precautions (with what little gear you have) when dealing with it, for who knows what as yet unseen abilities it possesses.

    Destroying the fungus will put an end to hostilities in this area.

    This is the only one of its kind you see for a good mile. If there are more of them, they grow very sparsely. Though there may be others like it on the island, armed the knowledge you bring back the Steading will be able to take the island as neutral ground.

    A few feet from the nest is a flat rock untouched by the moss. Looks to be the top of a boulder that fell there long ago, perhaps a bit of floating debris* that lost power. Good spot for a statue.

    [OOC: *Natural objects much smaller than islands can float too, down to a fist sized rock. The majority of these objects stays floating forever, and the idea of a island falling is akin to our sinking island stories.]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 31
    Hawthorne, if you mark 1 use of your adventuring gear and think of something clever you pull out of your pack, I will remove one move from the fungus.

    Think about what you’re aware it is capable of, and by what means it manipulates those around it.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    So, psychoactive spoors? Well, "air what you don't want to breathe it" is Tuesday back by the factories of Sisa. It's also Wednesday, Thursday.... anyhow. Hawthorne rummages through his pack and straps a disposable anti-pollution face-mask over his mouth and nose.

    Since Exilis isn't signalling, "Look out, more horrible birds," or, "This ridge is full of litter-bugs that hunger for the flesh of the living," Hawthorne picks his way up the slope.

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    NipsElvenshae
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 1
    You pat yourself down having made the short climb.

    Picking your way forward you see that the nest is made from the remains of deer and other such creatures. The area smells vaguely of damp and rot. There are no eggs laid here, or signs of past seasons’ life. Perhaps the mushroom convinces a mating pair it is their young.

    You come closer still, and particles of dust, or something worse, waft up from the mushroom. You bat them away instinctively.

    You’ll have to rip it from the ground or stomp it flat to bring peace to the area.

    What do you— Oh!



    The mushroom makes a break for it!

    5636mi9aco95.jpeg

    It had a bug corpse beneath it hidden by the soft earth, it’s using it as a puppet!

    When you chase the mushroom, roll+DEX.
    On a 10+, you catch it. Do with it as you please.
    On a 7-9, choose one.
    - Chase it into an ally’s reach; say who!
    - Corner it, but it has the upper hand, and attacks!



    High above the smaller nesting birds continue to circle, but a swathe of them break off and return to the crevices of the giant mushrooms. It’s hold is weakening.

    The large landhawk bears down on Imani.

    Endless_Serpents on
    MahnmutNipsElvenshae
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    (OOC: If Doruthan finds out about bug-corpse-controlling fungi, he might try to burn this entire island down to its bedrock. Nuke it from orbit, as it were. But he's no scientist, and a persuasive argument will stay his flames.

    What I'm trying to say is: Fuuuuuuuuuck parasite zombies.

    And just to be clear: this isn't like a trigger for me or anything. I just think nature can be super gross sometimes.)

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    [OOC: A valid case! But if you kill just that one mushroom, the rest of the life here will return to normal.

    Perhaps Doruthan isn’t the right person for this job...]

  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited June 1
    “Oh! Stop that fungus!” This is muffled somewhat by the pollution mask.

    Geth, roll 2d6+1 to chase the mushroom

    Edit: Ok, I’m trying to herd it into a clear alley for Exilis to swoop down.

    to chase the mushroom:
    2d6+1 7 [2d6=1, 5]

    Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    Nips
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Exilis

    Iugo lets out a cry of warning and dives. Their natural curiousity draws you into near range of the fleeing fungal fraud!

    It’s attempting to cross the soft moss covered plain towards the first deceased landhawk.

    You can Volley with your hunter’s bow, jump down straight into a Hack and Slash, or surprise me. It’s up to you, airborne as you are, you have advantage over the situation.

    MahnmutElvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Endless_Serpents

    Is the fungus aware of me, for whatever value of "aware" makes sense for a fungus?

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 2
    For a lack of a better description, it basically gets ‘laggy updates’ every few minutes from the birds and to a lesser extent the giant mushrooms.

    It knows you’re all here, but your present location is lost to it. There’s no way it can keep up with your speed and the sheer range of your movement.

    For the purposes of your Called Shot, it is surprised and defenceless!

    Endless_Serpents on
    ElvenshaeMahnmutNips
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 3
    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Called shot on the legs!

    Called shot:
    2d6+2 10 [2d6=3, 5]

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 3
    "Stop that fungus!" is, while almost certainly not the oddest command Exilis has been given, definitely in the top half-dozen or so. Still, the fungus appears to be riding (?!) atop an otherwise normal-seeming, if large, bug-thing, and Exilis has fought many varieties of those before, and they are almost always vulnerable to hits right where the leg meets the central portion.

    As Iugo begins his dive, Exilis catches his spear between his knee and saddle and whips his bow free of its case - time for two quick or one good shot before Iugo crashes into the thing, and it is a habit of years to conserve ammo. Breathe and draw, exhale, aim, aim, aim ... release!

    The arrow streaks ahead of the charging electrum eagle and connects with the bug-thing and sinks in half its length. The legs on one side buckle, and the amalgamation goes down, struggling to regain its feet and resume its madcap dash.

    Geth, roll 1d8 for damage

    damage:
    1d8 4 [1d8=4]

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Endless_SerpentsMahnmut
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The arrow shatters the side of the bug—seems surprisingly fragile—and the little mushroom is brought to a standstill.

    Finish him!

    Whoever destroys the fiendish fungus (Hack and Slash) gains 1 experience.

    Afterwards you’ll want to spend time gathering resources. Resources are beast parts, plants and the like for others to study back at the steading. They’re a good source of income and improve the Steading’s knowledge of the new world.

    When you go gathering, roll+WIS.
    On a 10+, hold 3 resource, or gain a unique item for yourself.
    On a 7-9, hold 1 resource, or gain a common item for yourself.
    On a 6-, you’ll gain something volatile or fragile.

  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited June 4
    The arrow hits; the fungus stops; Hawthorne keeps moving. He brings his staff around in an overhand swing.

    edit: The muddy ground gets him again -- he loses his footing at the crucial moment.

    Geth, roll 2d6+1 to Hack and Slash

    to Hack and Slash:
    2d6+1 5 [2d6=1, 3]

    Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 4
    Given a moment’s grace it reasserts itself! A dozen small birds fly down and circle the fungus! They’re so fearless you feel a wing brush against your forehead Hawthorne—they’re shielding it without care for their own safety!

    It gains +1 armour.

    Though you don’t register the pain, a rogue talon or beak must have sliced into you. Your upper arm is pouring with blood, and you take 4 damage. Subtract that from your armour.

    Geth roll 1d4 for Wing Cut

    Wing Cut:
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]

    Endless_Serpents on
    Mahnmut
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Iugo continues his dive; Exilis is out of time to aim and releases his bow - it falls, but trails behind on its short thong - while pulling his spear from under his leg and swinging its point forward. Iugo is diving very fast, though, and he's uncertain if he will be able to get the point around in time ...

    Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Questionable lancing decisions

    Questionable lancing decisions:
    2d6+1 9 [2d6=4, 4]

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Mahnmut
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 4
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Spear damage

    [OOC: So, how am I exposed to danger? :D]

    Spear damage:
    1d8 4 [1d8=4]

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 4
    Exilis

    The majestic eagle scatters the little birds with regal ease. You, Exilis, take one to the jaw, but it pings off a second later, leaving you with only a minor bruise to set later this evening.

    You take 1 damage, and mark experience.

    You plunge the spear through the mushroom and as Iugo rises again... you don’t. Your spear is stuck! You pivot like a lever, first carried by Iugo’s momentum, then backwards and away. You land in a heap near an inquisitive mud gurgling fish.

    The damned thing is dead, no surprises left. It deflates into the remains of the quickly crumbling bug. All around animals of the island are calming down.

    The surviving birds return to their roost, and the giant mushroom begin to let out deep rumbles, not all at once, but in turn, almost like a conversation—then silence.

    There is a finality to what has transpired here. This will do fine as the Steading’s neutral ground; together the people have what it takes to make this island their shared meeting ground and entry point to the rest of the Storm March.

    Common noises of bird call and insect chitter return slowly once you’ve all picked yourself up off the ground and dusted yourselves off, and a warm breeze envelopes the island.

    Geth roll 1d4 for Comedic Timing

    Hawthorne

    The platebacks have since rolled away during all the commotion, but you had a fair knack with them. Should you see them or a related species again, they’ll not get the drop on you.

    You also have +1 forward against your next encounter with a wild beast.

    Doruthan

    Right now would be a wise time to gather resources to bring back to the steading. Unfortunately Squall is ripping the downed landhawk to shreds and greedily devouring the remains.

    Unless you’re willing to reign them in, and mark 1 stress on your flying mount, you won’t be able to go gathering.



    After you’ve searched for interesting finds, there is still the matter of putting the statue somewhere.

    [OOC: Should joshgotro have time to post soon, they can pick one:
    - Describe their fight against the male landhawk (as a flashback) and mark experience.
    - Describe a peaceful encounter with it as it returned to its senses, and learn a secret of the island.

    Regardless, it’s no big deal. We all get busy.]

    Comedic Timing:
    1d4 1 [1d4=1]

    Endless_Serpents on
    MahnmutNipsElvenshae
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Doruthan strides over to his mount, the fires riding his shoulders eventually snuffing themselves out. Seeing his incalcitrant mount gorging itself on burnt fowl, the Embers Embodied crosses his arms and patiently waits; it does no good to goad an earthsky worm while it is eating. His friend Kerdan lost a finger once in just such a situation, and Doruthan appreciates having all of his appendages.

    (OOC: Missing out on gathering.

    Also the more noms de plume I come up with for Doruthan, the more I feel like he's gonna end up characterized like a pro wrestler. I'm oddly not upset by this.)

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    ElvenshaeMahnmutEndless_Serpents
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 7
    As peace slowly returns to the glade, Exilis realizes just how ideal a location it would be for the meeting ground. There's a source of water, clear areas for flying mounts to land, and it is not too far from the edge of the island to make ship-based travelers walk too far. Even the birds, now that they are not screeching their attacks, are singing pleasantly. Yes, there was the small problem of the groundhawks, but that seems to have been resolved for now - and, in most cases, increased traffic will keep the larger predators away.

    He also remembers ...
    A few feet from the nest is a flat rock untouched by the moss. Looks to be the top of a boulder that fell there long ago, perhaps a bit of floating debris* that lost power. Good spot for a statue.

    Something about that location feels right to him. He returns to it, and casts his augury bones, muttering over the process and recently-returned-Peregrinus's mussed feathers. At last satisfied with his results, he points the location out to his companions. "This place is a good one, for now; we should mark it as the place for meetings."

    Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Gathering

    I think I'd like something Fragile, and I'll mark XP.

    2d6+1 6 [2d6=2, 3]

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 7
    With a bit of heave-ho together you mount the statue on the rock. The enchantments and alchemic components placed upon the statue activate and place a ward out to thirty or so feet around it, a temporary defence that’ll keep beasts at bay. A circle of scripture is burnt into the earth, all pomp and gravitas. The statue seems to have an aura about it, like some proto-elemental, or a conceptual you could say. You can’t decide on exactly the right word for the feeling, it could be hope, or unity—perhaps that’ll form fully in months to come. What? You thought it was just a statue? This is a big deal!


    Welcome to Lucky Island!


    Exilis, you scooped up the remains of the tyrannical fungus into a jar and sealed it tightly. It’s part trophy, part because you’re not letting this thing spread spores or reform if it’s able. You’re thorough like that.

    Fungal Remains
    Corroding in its own sludgy remains, it’s not going to be much more than muck in a day by the looks of it.
    fragile, 1 weight
    If you can find an interested buyer when you return to the Steading, you could sell it for a high price, but leave it too long and it’ll be worthless.

    [OOC: Basically, if you don’t make your first act back at the Steading to do a bit of buy and sell at a market, and roll high on finding the right buyer, it’s gone. This will become relevant as I’m going to limit the number of projects you have time to do at the home islands.

    But even if you don’t sell it, perhaps it’s worth it just to have removed all traces of the thing from this area.



    I’m away from home at the minute but I’ll provide an updated map of the Storm March when I’m able.]

    Endless_Serpents on
    ElvenshaeNipsMahnmut
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited June 7
    After confirming with Exilis that it's safe-ish outside the barrier, Hawthorne invites his inquisitive krake Jenna on a stroll around the island. He smiles to see waves of darker purple ripple across her hide as she flits about, turning over rocks and digging through mud puddles.

    edit: I would like to hold one resource! Maybe something Jenna shouldn't put in her beak? ;)

    Geth, roll 2d6+2 Gathering (WIS)

    Gathering (WIS):
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=3, 4]

    Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    You find a variety of curios worth 1 resource. Think of them as anything worth knowing about for future more focused harvesting (giant mushroom sap, mudfish eggs etc.) or a novelty (natural glass, a fossil).

    1 resource is worth about 50 coins, but you might be about to get a higher price at the moment if you pick your buyer and words carefully.

    Much later, resource may also be used like adventuring gear, for whatever ingredients and materials you need for a project at the time.

    MahnmutElvenshae
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Mission Complete

    When you’re done here, it’s time to head home.



    The wind is easy going, southern, warm, and the thin strips of cloud overhead do little to block the glorious sunshine. It’ll be early evening by the time you get back, but visibility will still be good; a welcome perk to choosing summer as the season to begin your valiant efforts.

    Hawthorne

    Still feeling the heady awe of being contacted by the divine, you feel confident in leading the way.

    When you make the return trip to the Steading with your allies, roll+WIS.
    On a 10+, you save time. It’s only the afternoon, and everyone is full of vigour and vim!
    On a 7-9, you flew well, but everyone in the party must eat a ration, it was a long day. (I’ll remind them by PM if so)
    On a 6-, you took longer than expected. Both the party and their flying mounts must each eat a ration.

    Exilis

    Ever alert, you already feel familiar with the flight path after only making it once. On the way back you’ll put your scouting training to good use.

    When you make the return trip to the Steading with your allies, roll+WIS.
    On a 10+, choose one.
    On a 7-9, choose one, but danger get the drop on you.
    - You spot a floating rock, just a few yards across, that holds 3 resource. Describe it.
    - You hit an air current. Trips to Lucky Island will be quicker in the future. It’s rarely a Perilous Journey to get there.
    - You see a huge creature; describe its look, its nature and the significance it holds in this part of the sky. Then mark experience.
    On a 6-, still choose one, but you’re wrong.

    Doruthan

    Battle, and peace. Wilderness, and then a claim. You hope you have a place here, and today you have made a great burning stride towards all you have dreamed of!

    When you make the return trip to the Steading with your allies, roll+CHA.
    On a 10+, you mark experience and so does the ally of your choice.
    On a 7-9, choose an ally to mark experience.
    On a 6-, as usual, you mark experience, but doubt threatens your dreams...

    j2xh4hhz7v62.jpeg

    Elvenshae
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 7
    [OOC: Well, shit ... Now I gotta think of something cool ... :D

    Geth, roll 2d6+1

    2d6+1 10 [2d6=4, 5]

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    MahnmutNipsEndless_Serpents
Sign In or Register to comment.