As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avenge all dogs in the [John Wick] thread (open JW3 spoilers!)

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think it's really hard to compare John Wick to John Wick 3 because they are fundamentally very different movies.

I love them both but for very different reasons but it makes perfect sense that people could love one of them and not like the other.

JW1 is this visceral, tight action movie with minimal plot beyond a very central conflict. John is the largest part of a very small story.

JW3 is a huge movie with a ton of plot that is world encompassing. John is a smaller part of a much bigger story.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm looking forward to John Wick 4 getting back to basics. Instead of consequences coming to John like in 2 and 3, now he gets to be the consequences once again.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Something that kinda bugged me about the film and kept scratching at the back of my brain the whole time was how John hasn't really had a break since the beginning of Chapter 2.

I know he's supposed to be a super badass and everything, but he's still only human. After the sheer amount of physical activity and abuse he's taken non-stop over the course of the past few days he should barely be able to move.

I just feel like there should've been a time lapse where John got a few weeks to rest and recover before jumping back into it.

RT800 on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I hope he's getting one now.

I'd like to see a list of all his wounds.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I like The Raid 1 more than 2 because it’s such a pure action experience. Short, tight, brutal, inventive as hell. The second one is also excellent, but I’ll always prefer the first.

John Wick is the opposite for me. I appreciate the first film’s relative modesty and still really enjoy it, but I’m loving watching this thing balloon. The characters are fun, the world is bananas, and the action is doing the nearly impossible thing of building on a formula while staying fresh. I don’t think they can keep this up forever, but I’m with them to find out.

So I get why people like the first more and are disappointed by the rest. But I’m all in.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I like The Raid 1 more than 2 because it’s such a pure action experience. Short, tight, brutal, inventive as hell. The second one is also excellent, but I’ll always prefer the first.

John Wick is the opposite for me. I appreciate the first film’s relative modesty and still really enjoy it, but I’m loving watching this thing balloon. The characters are fun, the world is bananas, and the action is doing the nearly impossible thing of building on a formula while staying fresh. I don’t think they can keep this up forever, but I’m with them to find out.

So I get why people like the first more and are disappointed by the rest. But I’m all in.

I am exactly the same way.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular

Get out of my head.

• Options

Get out of my head.

yu8fwgy2dh9b.jpg

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    RT800 wrote: »
    I don't know why Halle Berry's character was so hostile to John.

The only context I got for their history was that he'd helped her out of a bind with her daughter once in exchange for a marker.

Doesn't explain all the contempt.

I had a feeling they were involved at some point. Shoot, for all we know, the daughter is his.

Also prefer The Raid 1 over 2, same reason I like JW1, tighter films. JW3 was fantastic though, plot was much tighter. My only problem is the hypocrisy of the Adjudicator's rules. So it's not okay to kill a member of the High Table due to a contract, but it's okay for said member's brother to put out a hit on her to take her spot?

Santino should've been deader than disco, not throwing a party.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I don't know why Halle Berry's character was so hostile to John.

The only context I got for their history was that he'd helped her out of a bind with her daughter once in exchange for a marker.

Doesn't explain all the contempt.

I had a feeling they were involved at some point. Shoot, for all we know, the daughter is his.

Also prefer The Raid 1 over 2, same reason I like JW1, tighter films. JW3 was fantastic though, plot was much tighter. My only problem is the hypocrisy of the Adjudicator's rules. So it's not okay to kill a member of the High Table due to a contract, but it's okay for said member's brother to put out a hit on her to take her spot?

Santino should've been deader than disco, not throwing a party.

Again management enforced rules they didn't play by, I'm pretty sure that's an intentional theme. I mean look at what happened to angelica huston's character or laurence fishburne's character versus what happened to Winston. Or how they pursued John Wick, yet back in JW 1 he was very much wronged by Viggo's kid and no one was coming after him other than John.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I mostly agree with the sentiment that the world-building has gotten overly-complicated and yet also stupidly nebulous... however there's also a part of me that feels like this ridiculous convoluted bullshit is to make us all equally annoyed at all the stupid bullshit rules, because that's what they are, stupid bullshit rules that people are forced to follow even when they get stabbed in the back immediately afterwards for following them.

I don't think the series can really sustain itself past a fourth film, but even so I'm going to be extremely disappointed if the fourth film isn't John Wick basically leading a class war against the High Table and their stupid bureaucracy, recruiting more and more assassins to the cause of reforming it to a system that actually respects those who actually do the work.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm the guy who thinks Assassin's Creed's modern day lore fucks, so John Wick can get up its own ass as far as it wants and I'm here for it

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I mostly agree with the sentiment that the world-building has gotten overly-complicated and yet also stupidly nebulous... however there's also a part of me that feels like this ridiculous convoluted bullshit is to make us all equally annoyed at all the stupid bullshit rules, because that's what they are, stupid bullshit rules that people are forced to follow even when they get stabbed in the back immediately afterwards for following them.

I don't think the series can really sustain itself past a fourth film, but even so I'm going to be extremely disappointed if the fourth film isn't John Wick basically leading a class war against the High Table and their stupid bureaucracy, recruiting more and more assassins to the cause of reforming it to a system that actually respects those who actually do the work.

For me the assassin Illuminati stuff is fun. It was fun in the first film and its still fun. Like, it was super clear in John Wick 1 it wasn't grounded at all, since not only did the entire NYC police force know who John Wick was, they essentially said, "Welp, good checking in with you John, don't kill anyone we care about ok?"

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Fuckin hell, John Wick 3. That was pretty wild.

And another example of Keanu Reeves being nice:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c2olMFEhK8

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

For me the assassin Illuminati stuff is fun. It was fun in the first film and its still fun. Like, it was super clear in John Wick 1 it wasn't grounded at all, since not only did the entire NYC police force know who John Wick was, they essentially said, "Welp, good checking in with you John, don't kill anyone we care about ok?"

I like that basically every person in the world is involved with the organization

give a coin to literally anybody and they're immediately in on it

also man, I know shit gets real in NYC but John stabbed a guy to death in the middle of a crowd in Grand Central Station and everybody just strolled on by

I loved the repeated Batman exits though

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I like that basically every person in the world is involved with the organization

also man, I know shit gets real in NYC but John stabbed a guy to death in the middle of a crowd in Grand Central Station and everybody just strolled on by

I loved the repeated Batman exits though

I don't know about you, but I feel like trying to acknowledge somebody just getting casually stabbed by a dude is a great way to also get stabbed.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I desperately want John to try and give some cabbie or regular person a Coin and have them go "...the fuck is this? You a pirate or something?"

Have him just assume everyone is part of the weird assassin world and whoops

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I desperately want John to try and give some cabbie or regular person a Coin and have them go "...the fuck is this? You a pirate or something?"

Well the cab he got into was kind of old timey I assume much like the switchboard operators being tattooed ladies of a bygone era its a tell that the guy is down. Something tells me the contintental dudes don't call an uber. I mean John himself took the bus to Auriellos

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I love that John has hidden stashes of coins and weapons and suits just all over the place.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Man I would play the hell out of a Wick assassin world tabletop rpg

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »

Could probably homebrew one using Hunter.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »

Could probably homebrew one using Hunter.

Blades in the Dark could be interesting too playing as a low level assassin just getting by. Or Genesys could fairly easy to be established. The hardest part of any RPG is going to be trying to recreate the iconic fighting.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I uh

I homebrewed a John Wick game after 1 came out in Fate Core

It worked pretty well!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Well the cab he got into was kind of old timey I assume much like the switchboard operators being tattooed ladies of a bygone era its a tell that the guy is down. Something tells me the contintental dudes don't call an uber. I mean John himself took the bus to Auriellos

HEY, one of those operators was the Penguin.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Cello wrote: »
    I uh

I homebrewed a John Wick game after 1 came out in Fate Core

It worked pretty well!

Ohhh yea Fate would work really well.

I think the biggest thing with a John Wick game is that you don't want to get bogged down in mechanical complexity that saps drama, tension and excitement from the fights.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

True I forgot them (gender was kind of up in the air for the character in the movie don't want to be an asshole).

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

True I forgot them (gender was kind of up in the air for the character in the movie don't want to be an asshole).

Hence my use of The Penguin.

• Options

Look some people don't like being equated to a flightless bird #penguinsareassholesofthearctic #longhashtagsaremyjokejam

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I find the "everyone is in on it" aspect kinda disappointing. It's not a secret world if literally everyone knows about it.

It seems like every third person Wick walks past on the street is a professional assassin that just spends their free time "pretending" to be a street performer or whatever, despite the fact that evidently EVERYONE knows.

I mean they're literally killing each other in the streets and not only is there no panic from the civilians, most of them don't even bother to look in their direction. It's like they're literally invisible or being deliberately ignored.

It made sense for the police to know. Of course the police would know. But why the fuck is the hotdog vendor in on all this?

RT800 on
  • Options
    I find the "everyone is in on it" aspect kinda disappointing. It's not a secret world if literally everyone knows about it.

It seems like every third person Wick walks past on the street is a professional assassin that just spends their free time "pretending" to be a street performer or whatever, despite the fact that evidently EVERYONE knows.

I mean they're literally killing each other in the streets and not only is there no panic from the civilians, most of them don't even bother to look in their direction. It's like they're literally invisible or being deliberately ignored.

It made sense for the police to know. Of course the police would know. But why the fuck is the hotdog vendor in on all this?

I dunno if the kind of violence that goes on in the John Wick world was common enough that we see in the like two weeks of these three movies most people would get desensitized.

Like I'm sure when the news covers "10 men found stabbed, shot, beaten, and partially eaten" John Wick twitter is full of thoughts and prayers.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I think one thing too is that it's not so much that it's an Assassin Illuminati, so much as a general underworld crime syndicate illuminati. The High Table isn't so much the assassins, as it is just the top global crime syndicates forming some sort of organization to organize their feudal society with some semblance of order. They want the room to be able to fuck each other over for territory and such, but not so much that it's an all out war.

The Continental system itself seems more geared towards the Assassin end of things, and is strictly "under the Table" as they describe it, which is how I think John buys into the idea that Winston is ready to go to war if it comes to it (though Winston's deal seems to be more than he feels like he's at the center of New York's entire system, and can call upon it if he needs to, essentially splintering the entire city off from the Table as his own kingdom).

Regarding the High Table's disregard of Santino being the party ultimately responsible for leveraging the hit on Giada, I think to a certain degree it's what the expect in the system and what the High Table players are willing to tolerate. "Oh, of course family might backstab, even murder, one another for the right to be the syndicate's leader at the table. But at the end of the day, they're still playing at the Table, they're not bucking the system."

However, someone under the table, like John, being the one to carry it out is still something of an existential threat: it reminds the Table that they can be taken down by those under them, even if it was initially at the discretion of someone who is essentially at Table-level. John killing Giada D'Antonio, even if at the behest of Santino D'Antonio, utilizing the systems entitled to every assassin in the Continental system is a sign that the Table could be taken down by it's own underlings, if the underlings ever thought to do so. And going by John's reaction in 2, telling Santino that this thing can't be done, implies a certain level of systemic belief. So that's why John is a loose end; by carrying out his marker, he essentially becomes not only a loose end in Santino's plot to murder his sister and acquire the family's seat at the table, but is a loose thread that could be pulled at to topple the entire thing. Table-level folk murdering each other, within their syndicates, for the seat is petty squabbling, but the underlings murdering people above their station is an existential threat.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

Look some people don't like being equated to a flightless bird #penguinsareassholesofthearctic #longhashtagsaremyjokejam

Ok, but just imagine John Wick played by a penguin. Fucking. Spectacular.

• Options
    You know we haven't even talked about? Or I missed it...

John Wick 3 had a non-binary actor playing a non-binary character...

... AND THEY DIDN'T FUCKING KILL THEM!

About fucking time.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    May 21, 2021 is set as the release date for John Wick Chapter 4.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    This movie was fantastic, I lost track of the number of times where I was thinking "Do the thing!" and they did the thing. Although I was shocked the chess pieces weren't used at all in the Zero fight, even for a second.

• Options
    This movie was fantastic, I lost track of the number of times where I was thinking "Do the thing!" and they did the thing. Although I was shocked the chess pieces weren't used at all in the Zero fight, even for a second.

They certainly teased them! Probably saving them for 4.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Winston in the end
    I am not so sure that he planning to betray John at the start and it was instead a spur-of-the-moment thing, but I'm fairly sure he was counting on John to survive it somehow.

I don't know which of the two things was what Charon was referring to when he spoke to Winston afterwards.

• Options
    Charon was referring to the hotel being repaired I believe from all the murder. I'm still on team Winston betrayed Wick. If only because Ian McShane is one of the older members of the cast and if they intend on keeping making these movies they have to uhhh move him on...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Winston was able to achieve both goals. He got the continental back and was able to get Wick out of the cross hairs and able to heal up. If I were Winston I'd rather be killed by wick anyways.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

wY6K6Jb.gif