As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ranger Thread (NSF56k)

Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punkhedge witchRegistered User regular
Let's talk about rangers. The term ranger seems to have a lot of different meanings but usually implies patrolling a nature-based jurisdiction. Rangers are cool and come in all kinds of varieties

You've got Tolkien's rangers and their various fantasy derivatives
4d73eichpelg.jpg
87zfg21spg3s.jpg
t3clvvj6ia4r.jpg

You've got Power Rangers, who aren't all that into nature but usually patrol space and time
ai5cwmuflv66.jpg

Pacific Rim has rangers in this vein too
bzzjs19f36p2.jpg

Then there are real-life rangers like American National Park rangers
inliamu7tov7.jpg

And African wildlife rangers, who protect game reserves from poachers
puajv5p6ft2j.jpg
9fubyty34rfe.png

A fictional version of the Texas Rangers, who are basically cops in cowboy hats, was made famous by Chuck Norris in Walker, Texas Ranger
xfn7xt95tsdd.jpg

The Texas Rangers are also a baseball team
g949nxoqpw7r.jpg

What kind of rangers are you into? Personally, I really enjoyed playing a Ranger in Guild Wars 1 and 2, as well as DnD 5e

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    hmmm

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    hmmm

Hey, I'm just here for wholesome nature-related content

I spend most of my day running around federal lands handling animals and I definitely enjoy this kinda stuff!

cytj0azcfa41.jpg

Nothing untowards going on in this thread at all

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No mention of the NY Rangers?

This thread is a farce!

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    what about US Army Rangers?

I mean, if I missed a group of rangers, tell me about them!

This is a ranger enthusiasm thread, give me the good good details

on the 6th of June 1944 at 6:39 D E and F Company of the 2nd ranger battlion embarked on landing craft for the Normandy Coast

Their target was to take Point Du Hawk, a vital piece of high ground between Omaha and Utah beaches.

After an about an hour the fought their way up the cliff, but discovered the casements which were supposed to contain captures french guns were empty.

They proceed to build a roadblock as part of their secondary objective and by 9:00 had used their thermite charges to destroy German artillery guns they discovered in the woods.

For the rest of the day they repelled german counter attacks, only one patrol element of rangers from Omaha beach managing to link up with them.

They held out all of June 7th against multiple German counter attacks pinning them into an even smaller area of the cliffhead.

On the morning of the 8th they were finally relieved by elements from the 2nd and 5th Rangers, plus the 1st Battalion of the 116th Infantry, accompanied by tanks from the 743rd Tank Battalion.

During the fighting the element was reduced from it's initial strength of 225 to just 90 men.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Calling the mods on both phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG7OdFck398

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I put on my Hadori and longsword

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    I put on my Hadori and longsword

I know so little about Wheel of Time that I definitely just wiki dived for like an hour on this one
    I still laughed

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    faramir was the superior brother by a significant margin.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    SLyM wrote: »
    faramir was the superior brother by a significant margin.

Their dad was weird. You can hardly blame them.

:whistle: "home is behind, the world ahead..." :whistle:

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I played a ranger in my d&d game for a little while. We tweaked it slightly so that she could have high str instead of high dex and thus use a giant bow that no one else in the party could use.

She also had a wolf buddy and he was good.

Unfortunately it was a character-swap for me mid campaign so she had nothing in common with the other characters and thus was really boring. I switched back to my original character after a couple months.

My character in the next campaign we're doing is going to be a cleric but with three levels in ranger to get the zephyr strike spell. This will allow her to run up to enemies, bash them in the face with a bonus for being surrounded, then run away with no opportunity attacks.

Basically i'm trying to make a Mass Effect Vanguard.

Aistan on
    My Barbarian has a high dexterity and strength and constitution.

But my dm let me have a really high pull weight bow custom made that does d10 damage.

I am also trained in stealth....

I rolled a half-orc ranger once, that was one of my favorite characters I ever played

It's a very versatile class!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You missed the best and most important ranger

555ae60b9769a49dbfaafe2519c1d474--babylon--walk-in.jpg

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    My last Pathfinder character started out as an Alchemist that ended up taking levels of Ranger when I got a Chupacabra egg and the GM agreed to let me keep it as an animal companion if I multiclassed.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I briefly considered the tree of Gondor as a tattoo, what with my nerdery and archery and whatnot and the one time I played d and d I started a rogue with the intent of multiclassing with ranger

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    One of my friends works with the park rangers dressing up like it's the 1940's to welcome WWII vets to their memorial. Seems like a nice gig if you are really into these parks(I am I am I am)

VRXwDW7.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

But my dm let me have a really high pull weight bow custom made that does d10 damage.

Heavy Crossbow does 1d10, the only difference between a crossbow and a longbow is loading, so unless you regularly fire it multiple times within the same turn a heavy crossbow achieves the same thing

I mean discounting narrative flavor

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

Heavy Crossbow does 1d10, the only difference between a crossbow and a longbow is loading, so unless you regularly fire it multiple times within the same turn a heavy crossbow achieves the same thing

do composite longbows still apply strength bonuses? it's been a while

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    omctox5g17x3.png

Fearghaill wrote: »

That's what it is basically

Except it's functionally the same either way, both are +5

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    It's time for the annual reminder that that fan-made Rescue Rangers comic exists

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    It's time for the annual reminder that that fan-made Rescue Rangers comic exists

Is it hentai

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Fearghaill wrote: »

All ranged weapons use DEX except thrown weapons that use STR and finesse weapons that use either DEX or STR.

#pipe on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ugh, rangers

fighter or druid, PICK A LANE

KalTorak wrote: »
    ugh, rangers

BARBARIAN

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    ugh, rangers

BARBARIAN

MONK

Making a ranged barbarian seems completely pointless.

They're tanks. They're designed to be damage absorbing punching bags.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I love paladins. Just a ridiculous amount of damage against single targets.

edited May 2019
    Making a ranged barbarian seems completely pointless.

They're tanks. They're designed to be damage absorbing punching bags.

I'll throw a dude at another dude

To use ancient internet parlance... I'll hit them with their own pimp

The only reasons my barb has the bow is because the rest of the party has a bad habit of killing things before I get up to hit them.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Buncha nerds. It's not a real ranger thread until things get sexy.
    8rgtwsejyzog.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Is it hentai

No, it’s actually surprisingly reserved.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    i dont trust this

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it's weird dramatic fanfiction basically I think? that's the impression I gotten from the sparse secondhand exposure I've had to it at least

BahamutZERO.gif
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ok, this thread title really made me worried

Oghulk wrote: »
    i dont trust this

You fail to aid the people of Rohan for one whole Age and everyone acts like Rangers are gonna do ya dirty eh

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    i dont trust this

You fail to aid the people of Rohan for one whole Age and everyone acts like Rangers are gonna do ya dirty eh

thanks letterkenny

i tell you hwat tho albertans are basically cold texans