As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The John Wick Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Was Ares (Ruby Rose) supposed to have been out of ammo in that fight?

Because she clearly has a gun in her hand when the elevator opens, but instead opts to fight Wick with a knife.

Which was just... really pretty dumb. Even if she wasn't fighting John fucking Wick, her opponent had like 6 inches and 100 pounds on her.

I mean, he literally picks her up and throws her into a wall at one point.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I maintain that, at least in two, “I’ll be seeing you” is what assassins say to each other because they all know they’ll meet up again in Hell eventually

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Because she clearly has a gun in her hand when the elevator opens, but instead opts to fight Wick with a knife.

Which was just... really pretty dumb. Even if she wasn't fighting John fucking Wick, her opponent had like 6 inches and 100 pounds on her.

I've just assumed that all the assassins have a private bet going to see who can be the first to beat Wick without resorting to guns. Because pretty much everyone is doing it.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Astaereth wrote: »
    John Wick deciding to cut off his finger and rejoin the fold was such a weird moment—I was like, wait a minute, this is who JW is? I was already well into the camp of “he should murder the whole High Table and remake the (under)world” but apparently I’m just ahead of Wick by at least a movie.

Nah, that made sense to me.

The main theme of 3 for John is him squirming to get out under the death sentence of killing someone on Continental grounds and breaking, "The Rules". It's all about him, his selfish revenge, and trying to duck the consequences. The assassin verse in John Wick is all about, "the rules are what separate men from beasts." John is doing what both villains of the prior films were trying to do, either breaking the rules or trying to screw with the margins of them.

And in the end, he realizes bowing his head to go back to a peaceful life, even if being left alone is what he wants more than anything in the world, isn't worth it on those terms.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Keanu Reeves showed up at E3 today and is going to be in the new cyberpunk game. Fuck yeah cyberpunk John Wick.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Based on what John said in 2 with the first knife stick, I don't think Ruby Rose is coming back.

He gives Common the option to survive, because he respects him as a man of honor and a worthy opponent.

He shows Ruby Rose none of the same courtesy, because she has none of that same honor and therefore is not worthy of his respect.

I don't remember Rose's character doing anything particularly dishonorable. She was a bodyguard who just happened to be working for a complete bastard that Wick wanted dead. Common just had the good luck to be the bodyguard for someone that Wick felt bad about killing. Plus Wick seems the sort that can respect someone who is out on a revenge rampage because someone that they cared about was killed.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Rose's character signed on to a betrayal. So she gets to die.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I got the impression John was going to honor his marker with Santino then go back into retirement. Trying to tie up John as a loose end sealed Santino's and Rose's fate.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

I got the impression John was going to honor his marker with Santino then go back into retirement. Trying to tie up John as a loose end sealed Santino's and Rose's fate.

That was one thing that sat wrong for me with the second film. Santino is pulling a Klingon promotion on his sister, which is pretty dubious but that's why he's pulling in the marker. Then he doubles down by trying to take out Wick with a public bounty, and doesn't manage to get that done. It makes for a fun plot, but it runs into the GoT issue where if everyone is (or is allowed to be with no retribution) a backstabbing murderer who can't ever be trusted then the entire thing just kind of falls apart since everyone would spend all their time locked in a literal bank vault for fear of assassination. Something similar would happen to the assassins since it's one thing to take a job on the basis of how hard it will be to kill the person, it's something totally different to decide if getting paid two million will be worth it if you end up with a five million dollar price on your head.

The situation with Santino was probably an outlier, but even then it really didn't fit well with how the whole gold coin using side of the world works.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    You probably don't get a promotion to the table for killing the previous person, but in santinos case he had some kind of rule of inheritance working for him

• Options
    You probably don't get a promotion to the table for killing the previous person, but in santinos case he had some kind of rule of inheritance working for him

Plus he could probably get the sympathy vote since his sister had just been killed.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Plus he could probably get the sympathy vote since his sister had just been killed.

Isn't that the narrative context?

He hires Wick to kill his sister. The only person who knows this are people he owns. Wick is the known killer. So if the High Table comes down on Wick for killong a member, and interrogate Wick, Santino is in the shit for it being public knowledge*, so taking out Wick is covering his bases.

* Yeah, I absolutely believe most of the Table would suspect, if not outright know that Santino had his sister kill. But I can also believe plausible deniability is a thing. That as long as there isn't a smoking John Wick, then good on you for playing the system.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    MorganV wrote: »

He hires Wick to kill his sister. The only person who knows this are people he owns. Wick is the known killer. So if the High Table comes down on Wick for killong a member, and interrogate Wick, Santino is in the shit for it being public knowledge*, so taking out Wick is covering his bases.

* Yeah, I absolutely believe most of the Table would suspect, if not outright know that Santino had his sister kill. But I can also believe plausible deniability is a thing. That as long as there isn't a smoking John Wick, then good on you for playing the system.

Winston knew the circumstances of the kill so I would say that the table would also knew, considering they knew just about everything in the third movie.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    Its all about plausible deniability. John Wick master murder did the job, most likely for Santino, but Santino can go "oh no I put a bounty on that vicious John Wick who for whatever reason killed my beloved sister..."

And yeah if no one is honoring things than the whole thing falls apart, which is kind of what the John Wick movies are about to begin with. Viggo's kid didn't honor John's retirement, John didn't honor the no killing people in the continental and then he didn't kill Winston who also then attempted to kill Wick.

A whole lot of people are acting like there aren't rules while trying to enforce on everyone else.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

I’m not actually sure they would care.

It seems like the Table cares more about respecting markers and the rules of the Continental.

Otherwise, why couldn’t John just seek out the desert dude in Wick 2 to say “hey, this guy is trying to use his marker on me to murder one of y’all” to get them involved?

Maybe the Table doesn’t place them above themselves being targets?

Fuck, I want to stop talking about it because the more I think about it the less it makes any realistic sense and I’d rather happily and blissfully suspend my disbelief.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Perhaps the reason the high table is pissed is not so much that he kills Santino, but that he does it without sanction. The marker forces him to kill the sister, and that probably would have covered Wick, if not Santino. But then he just kills the guy with no bounty or sanction, just straight up revenge.

• Options
    Well it was also a member of the working class killing management. And that is a no no because clearly assassin management is just as awful as real world management.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »

I figured it was like Billy in Predator. She figures she has a slightly higher chance of taking John in CQC, and plans her ambush on being directly behind a mirrored glass door.

I imagined she was trying to avoid the whole "shooting superman" thing.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    also given the armored clothing most of the people are wearing there is a good chance a small caliber bullet is not going to do the trick.

kaid on
  • Options
    Its all about plausible deniability. John Wick master murder did the job, most likely for Santino, but Santino can go "oh no I put a bounty on that vicious John Wick who for whatever reason killed my beloved sister..."

And yeah if no one is honoring things than the whole thing falls apart, which is kind of what the John Wick movies are about to begin with. Viggo's kid didn't honor John's retirement, John didn't honor the no killing people in the continental and then he didn't kill Winston who also then attempted to kill Wick.

A whole lot of people are acting like there aren't rules while trying to enforce on everyone else.

I think that the third movie made a good case that plausible deniability doesn’t go very far if an adjudicator comes knocking.

It might go further if you’re High Table though.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    In a recent chat thread with @Forar .
    Was listening to a podcast and one of the hosts pointed it out, during a short discussion about Justin Beiber (asshole that he is) challenging Tom Cruise to a fight.

Wanna feel fucking old? Tom Cruise is older now*, than Wilfred fucking Brimley was, when he filmed Cocoon.

* So is Keanu Reeves. < relevance

I'm a good decade younger, and just watching them in Mission Impossible / John Wick makes my entire body ache.

Why is life so unfair? :(

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Was listening to a podcast and one of the hosts pointed it out, during a short discussion about Justin Beiber (asshole that he is) challenging Tom Cruise to a fight.

Wanna feel fucking old? Tom Cruise is older now*, than Wilfred fucking Brimley was, when he filmed Cocoon.

I'm a good decade younger, and just watching them in Mission Impossible / John Wick makes my entire body ache.

Wealth is a helluva drug.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    We also know a looooot more about health, nutrition, and fitness these days. We're all looking at a significant increase to our lifespan over our parents, and that increase doesn't necessarily just tack on years to the part of lives where we're old and made of glass.

• Options
    We also know a looooot more about health, nutrition, and fitness these days. We're all looking at a significant increase to our lifespan over our parents, and that increase doesn't necessarily just tack on years to the part of lives where we're old and made of glass.

Turns out the secret to looking that good as you age is... tada, nutrition, exercise and having a fulfilling career.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Turns out the secret to looking that good as you age is... tada, nutrition, exercise and having a fulfilling career.

And in Tom's case several million dollars worth of auditing from members of SeaOrg and letting David Miscavige work you like a muppet.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

And in Tom's case several million dollars worth of auditing from members of SeaOrg and letting David Miscavige work you like a muppet.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have all the new blood and organs you could ever want.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Or even more scary Ming na wen is older than wilfred brimley was when he was shooting cocoon.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If we're going to carry this line of thought forward, mind stripping the @'signal out? tyvm

And yes, Ming Na Wen seems to be effectively ageless.

... and I'd be okay with John Wick existing in the MCU and joining forces with The Cavalry.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Also we don't all live in flavor country anymore. Everybody smoked back in the day and that ages people like crazy.

But back on topic, the thing about the "rules" is that there are different rules for different people. The rich and powerful have extra layers of protection that their underlings do not, and that increases with rank. Help John Wick, but you're the manager of a Continental? Get off scot free and keep your job after sacrificing most of your employees in a pointless slaughter. Help John Wick, but you're the head of a major organization? One stab. Help John Wick in the tiniest way but you're the head of those street people that the rich and powerful think are weird and gross? Seven slashes that were probably meant to be fatal. Working your way up in the ranks and following the rules? You'll die for your trouble because the big boys up top with their High Table want to play blood games at each other. But isn't that the case in the world?

• Options
    Forar wrote: »
    If we're going to carry this line of thought forward, mind stripping the @'signal out? tyvm

And yes, Ming Na Wen seems to be effectively ageless.

... and I'd be okay with John Wick existing in the MCU and joining forces with The Cavalry.

Pretty sure John Wick would be a bad guy in the MCU, like he's an unrepetent well paid murderer. In most other movie series he'd be the bad guy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Uhhh, forgetting about the Punisher there, Preach?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Uhhh, forgetting about the Punisher there, Preach?

I always do.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I mean Hawk Eye just went full John Wick in the last movie...

• Options
    Sweet, this is now relevant again:
    7hL6ohB.jpg

• Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    Yeah, pretty sure the Table doesn't give a hoot about people killing their own. They didn't take an interest in Wick until he killed Santino, and that wasn't because he'd killed one of them. It's because he walked into consecrated ground and put a bullet in someone.

I also suspect that it's not exactly a common thing. You have to assume these folks are generally well protected. Otherwise, I doubt Santino would have gone to the trouble of bringing Wick in at all. He called his marker on the boogeyman to do an impossible job. I'm not sure someone would generally take a bounty on a target like that?

That last bit is actually something that bugs me a little bit about these films. Perkins was willing to go rogue in the Continental for what, 2 million? Or had it been increased to 4 by that point? Either way, that seems a laughably small amount of money to essentially sign your own death warrant (or plan to live in hiding for the rest of your life). Then in the sequel he's running from a 7 million dollar bounty. And not a single person looks at their phone, sees the target, and says "nah, I'm good". Based on the worldbuilding we've seen, it just seems like all of these assassins live pretty decent lives. I'd think it would take more than 7 (or even 14) million to make me roll the dice against a goddamned assassin legend.

And if this has already been discussed, my apologies, but I'm not sure why the Bowery King was punished in Parabellum (other than to set up a hook for the next film). He provided aid to John to kill Santino - but at the time, John was still in the Table's good graces. Are we just assuming that it was because it was done out of contract? Seems weird to me to hold BK accountable for John choosing to break the Continental's rules.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I think we're supposed to question how the High Table's rules work because it's basically just a bunch of bullshit that they use to stay in power. It doesn't make sense because it doesn't have to have logical consistency for little people.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    BK was punished because he provided the bullets knowing Wick was going to murder a member of the High Table.

And Perkins probably thought she could do it and not get caught. Plus retcon.

• Options
    BK was punished to look tough. Like he's not even part of the ecosystem for the table. He's someone who exists outside their system normally from how he was established in JW2.

Basically the Table dished out punishments to keep up the illusion they are untouchable and anyone associated with John killing Santino or getting away from it (as we saw with angelica hustons character) had to be punished so no one else gets ideas.

Which sets up a fourth movie showdown. You have the Bowery King who got fucked up to enforce rules he's not even really apart of, and John Wick a person who ignores rules when he personally feels they don't apply, and a whole bunch of people who are now their targets.

Funny if you go back to what started all of this, it was Viggo's son attacking John in his home, unknowingly to him setting up the whole corrupt system to come crashing down in bullets, knives, and whatever else John Wick can get a hold on.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    By what we've seen, John doesn't ignore the rules as inconvenient. He's definitely observant of them, he just doesn't want to get dragged in to the assassin stuff again. He expressly asks Santino not to use the marker, probably because John knows exactly what's going to happen if Santino is asking to cash it in. But he does, eventually, comply with the rules of the marker; it's only when Santino betrays him that Wick goes after Santino, and Wick knows he's breaking the rules if he kills Santino in the Continental.

If Wick didn't think the rules applied to him, he wouldn't have gone to the top brass of the organization to ask for forgiveness, he just would've killed everybody in charge. If anything, Wick is the one trying to stick to the rules but keeps getting screwed because of them. He wanted out, the organization basically wouldn't let him stay out, and his "forgiveness" is to be damned to a lifetime of being what he put behind him in order to be with his wife.

The High Table could have given John an out at any of several points, they only got involved, and only to come down on John and his people, once one of the "service" folks decided to have a copper-jacketed discussion with somebody in head management.

• Options
    I remember that there’s some side comment from the head Russian when he hears that Perkins is willing to do business at the Continental for double the money. I forget exactly what he said, but the impression was a combo of dumbass and it’s her funeral.