As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Anime] Strikes Back

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Vagabond is still an unknown, depends on how much he wants to do manga
    He almost died at some point I think and got super burned out

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Dr Stone is still good and I can’t wait for the anime version.

I have no idea where this arc is going but its insane

Right?!? I have to imagine
    The guy they’re currently going after isn’t the mastermind behind the whole thing, but maybe someone who was given the secret and replicated it? I don’t know how long the manga is planned for but it would seem anticlimactic if they resolved that quickly.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Air Gear didn't deserve to have as good a soundtrack as it got.

It still periodically gets OVAs here and there covering the bigger events in the show.

I don't know if they're at the part yet where Obama shows up and possesses a girl.

Kelor on
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    As far as I know, the Air Gear manga is by the same author as Tenjou Tenge, which which probably defines problematic. I never got around to the Air Gear anime, but approaching the manga as a martial arts series instead of a sports one probably did me some favours in getting through it.

Basquash is really cool, though. But then I like colourful spectacles and can completely ignore excessive fan-service as long as it's not incredibly super gross.

• Options
    Ray and Charles were great antagonists and sort of where the series peaked for me.

The scene that sticks with me from that series is from the very first episode where Renton rides his board for the first time.

There are a lot of scenes in that video I didn't recognise, did they put out some movies redoing the story or something?

• Options
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Damn, I missed giant robot talk in the last thread

Watch Gunbuster and then Diebuster

They make my heart burst with emotion to the point my eyes start watering
    True spoilers
    Gunbuster - "Welcome Home"

Diebuster - When the true space monster is revealed and Nono finally realizes she is her own Buster Machine. That speech gets me every time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFppdq6vEPg

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Air Gear is probably flirting with the line we shouldn't cross, so we should probably leave it at that.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    Anyone remember the name of that anime where a bunch of Cthulhu-gods as girls moves in with a guy?

I think it included the name “Nyarko-San”.

That let me find it, thanks. It's Haiyore! Nyaruko-san.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »
    where does the hanebado anime land of this list

I recall seeing it on one of the season preview charts but it looked way too fan servicey so I never watched it and it has not be been ranked.
    it has fanservice i’ll admit but it’s not on the same level as, say, harukana receive, and the story is actually pretty good imo!

i’d say if you have a spare moment give the first ep or two a shot

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Is anyone still reading Ippo?

Recent manga spoilers
    Anyone think Ippo is out for good and the series continues with the support cast with him perhaps transitioning into a role as a coach or was his punch drunkeness misdiagnosed and he'll be back later on.

Kelor on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    The author of Slam Dunk just recently came back from retirement (of 10 years?) to continue REAL

aaaaaaa! I read Slam Dunk and then went hunting for more things like that, found REAL, and it just stopped mid-story. I am super stoked to find this out -- I only noticed the other anime thread with like two pages to go to 100 and have been hurriedly skimming through it to see if anyone had posted about REAL.

Here's an announcement. Looks like it's back in two days!

Vagabond doesn't seem to be going anywhere, but I lost interest in that after the village-with-not-enough-rice arc ended, the Big Historically Significant Fight that's coming up doesn't mean enough to me to want to actually see it.

And Buzzer Beater, last time I found it, was on Inoue's own site in English but I can't work out where it's gone now. I don't remember it being as good, though.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

I recall seeing it on one of the season preview charts but it looked way too fan servicey so I never watched it and it has not be been ranked.

Hanebado seems to be, from the reaction faces I get from one of my friend who reads and watches it (and I trust her judgement) fairly good, real melodramatic, and real fucking mean. This seems to be an anime about the pressure to excel and how the sheer competitive drive that leads you to the heights of your sport can destroy any enjoyment you get out of said sport.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    My wife used to play badminton a ton, so we checked out Hanebado. I'll definitely hear the melodrama. I can't remember any specific over the top fanservice, but it's easy to get desensitized to those things (and i got bored after an ep or two- my wife stuck it out sightly longer).

Only two things really stuck with me: the first game shown is basically impossible, a shut out NEVER happens; and whoever animated that show fucking loves sweat. It's the sweatiest goddamn thing I've ever seen.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Also I want more Promised Neverland YESTERDAY damn it

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Kelor's Sports Series Power Rankings

Hajime No Ippo (Anime) - Pacing so good one hundred episodes flies by along with a really well developed cast of supporting characters. A mix of sports and comedy that holds up incredibly well.
    Ashita No Joe is also legendary for a reason (in manga form, at least), and it ends, which I always appreciate in series.

Eyeshield 21 (Manga) - A gridiron series that is a really wild mix of cliff hangers and misfits on a single team.
    I wasn't sure about this at the start, but then the chasing-motorbike-thief scene early on with the "I'll see you in the finals" bit was what hooked me. The other teams do get pretty silly as the series continues, and it felt like the "vs the world" final arc was a bit tacked on, but it was just such a lot of fun on the way.

Don't Bother
    Prince of Tennis - (Manga) - Players have superpowers, others end up bloodied and even crippled in international play. It is not as interesting as any of these things suggest.
    I started on this one, got a few volumes in, hated the main character and wondered if he would ever lose, googled it, found out the answer is "no" and gave up.

Also not worth bothering with: "Crimson Hero". The library had these, it looked like potentially a decent sports series, but no, it is actually "which of the boys does she like?", uninterestingly told, with the occasional volleyball sequence in there.

(does Haikyuu! change at all? I got a long way through that but it just didn't seem to be going anywhere -- there's only so many times they can meet "the tallest player they've ever seen" before it feels a bit too similar to itself)

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »

Hanebado seems to be, from the reaction faces I get from one of my friend who reads and watches it (and I trust her judgement) fairly good, real melodramatic, and real fucking mean. This seems to be an anime about the pressure to excel and how the sheer competitive drive that leads you to the heights of your sport can destroy any enjoyment you get out of said sport.

That sounds much more interesting and more along the lines of Ping Pong than the trailer showed.

Maybe the manga isn't as blatant as the anime looked, I might look into it.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I don't normal do sports manga, but Eye-shield 21 was great.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Okay I didn't touch the A.N.I.M.E. thread because it was such an obvious trap but now it turns out people were actually talking about anime in there???

Nah, it was just a joke “no anime” thread that went one hundred pages.

We were sure to follow the rules as presented by crwth and never talk about anime

I wouldn’t put a 100-page joke thread past us.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Advice: If you feel the need to post "ironically" about how bad/Japan something in anime is, count to 10, and don't post it.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

That sounds much more interesting and more along the lines of Ping Pong than the trailer showed.

Maybe the manga isn't as blatant as the anime looked, I might look into it.

from what i hear, the manga and anime are vastly different but i’m not sure how

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Ashita No Joe is also legendary for a reason (in manga form, at least), and it ends, which I always appreciate in series.

I've not sat down and read Ashita no Joe, although I'm familiar with it, particularly the ending.

I definitely can appreciate any series that picks an end point and then works towards that and finishes rather than continuing on forever until an editorial department puts it out of it's misery.
    I wasn't sure about this at the start, but then the chasing-motorbike-thief scene early on with the "I'll see you in the finals" bit was what hooked me. The other teams do get pretty silly as the series continues, and it felt like the "vs the world" final arc was a bit tacked on, but it was just such a lot of fun on the way.

Eyeshield isn't particularly deep, but it's certainly entertaining, even as someone who knew nothing about the sport going into it.
    (does Haikyuu! change at all? I got a long way through that but it just didn't seem to be going anywhere -- there's only so many times they can meet "the tallest player they've ever seen" before it feels a bit too similar to itself)

That drops off at the end of the first prefectural tournament arc and the full roster is assembled. The anime is a very faithful adaptation so you can go either way on it.

There are some excellent matches with real stakes (at least for some of the players on either side) after that point.

Kelor on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I still wish there was more Ookiku Furikabutte (Big Windup). It was slow as hell but I really enjoyed it.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Darkness is my favourite character in Konusuba by miles

She's such an abject pervert

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I’m excited for the dub of Lupin III part 5 this summer. I’ve only really interacted with the series via the dub of part 4 (The Italian Adventure), but it was a fun ride.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    90 seconds anime
    https://youtu.be/SRXVenFNwv8

There's like a bunch of these in the playlist

Goddammit I’m on the train, you cannot unload weaponized sentiment like that without warning MY FACE IS WET.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    I’m excited for the dub of Lupin III part 5 this summer. I’ve only really interacted with the series via the dub of part 4 (The Italian Adventure), but it was a fun ride.

If you haven't yet, check out the original opening - i think Toonami didn't air it because there's a 2 second bit of Fujiko mostly nude, which probably also puts it into NSFW range, so not going to in-line here.

The track for that opening is great.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Ray and Charles were great antagonists and sort of where the series peaked for me.

The scene that sticks with me from that series is from the very first episode where Renton rides his board for the first time.

There are a lot of scenes in that video I didn't recognise, did they put out some movies redoing the story or something?

There's the OG Eureka 7 (worth a watch IMO, excellent soundtrack and some great animation, likable characters)

Eureka 7 AO, which is a direct sequel (if you liked E7 this is maybe worth a watch? But it's also not great.)

Pocketful of Rainbows, which is an AU but still related movie.

The Hi-Evolution movie trilogy, which is an adaptation of the original series + prequel

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Part 4 has a rad fucking opening and ending but I didnt see it because Funimation didnt use them or the fucking eyecatches. I never checked on crunchyroll. I should at some point.

Part 5 has a heartbreaking end song . OP is ok .

5 is a stronger story than 4 but they're both very good.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hey, so my roommate is looking for an anime to start watching and I figured this thread would be useful for that sort of thing. I offered him some classic suggestions but I'll ask y'all:

Via Funimation, what do you think are the quintessential anime's from the 70's/80's/90's.

I specify those decades as we're watching Dragon Ball, which he really loves, but I don't believe he's a big fan of anything relatively modern/contemporary.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Lupin/Lupin/Lupin

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hey, so my roommate is looking for an anime to start watching and I figured this thread would be useful for that sort of thing. I offered him some classic suggestions but I'll ask y'all:

Via Funimation, what do you think are the quintessential anime's from the 70's/80's/90's.

I specify those decades as we're watching Dragon Ball, which he really loves, but I don't believe he's a big fan of anything relatively modern/contemporary.

When you say Funimation, do you mean available via their streaming service?

• Options
    edited May 2019
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Is Outlaw Star too modern? Because Outlaw Star.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I'm sure I have a million crunchyroll trial codes if you want a huge ass selection of old stuff.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

When you say Funimation, do you mean available via their streaming service?

Yes, correct.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Silver Spoon not getting finished is a travesty. I need more wholesome farming shenanigans.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What I have compiled, after a brief scan of Funimation's streaming options, is:

-- Cowboy Bebop
    -- Dragon Ball
    -- Dragon Ball Z
    -- Lupin the Third
    -- Outlaw Star
    -- Rurouni Kenshin
    -- Tenchi Muyo: Tenchi Universe
    -- Trigun
    -- Yu Yu Hakusho

This discussion has been closed.