Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    there was also that one time he thought he was more famous than he actually is

Hahahahahahhahahahahaha Oh my god this made my day

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    there was also that one time he thought he was more famous than he actually is

Hahahahahahhahahahahaha Oh my god this made my day

That was absolutely hilarious.

You don't fuck with the Gaga

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This guy sounds so exhausting.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    tynic wrote: »
    This guy sounds so exhausting.

The streaming community in general tends to be quite an insular bubble. People who get famous there think it translates into the real world.

It does not.

Karl on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    He has kinda weird, maybe misogynistic views on women is the main bad thing I've heard. At some point he claimed he refuses to stream games with women streamers because that would imply he was sleeping with them (???)

There might be other stuff, that's the only Ninja Fact that has managed to penetrate my awareness bubble.

That was the big one. He didn't want people assuming and rumor mongering getting back to his wife, so didn't (doesn't?) stream with women.

So he is the mike pence of streaming then?

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Mike Pence wishes he was the The Game Awards Content Creator of the Year for 2018.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Edge is fine

I much prefer Christian.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    What's downdog?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    ¿ƃop noʎ ɥʇᴉʍ dn s,ʇɐɥʍ 'ɥɔnɯ ʇou

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's a yoga app, their customers are pretty vocal about how awesome the app is because it doesn't have auto renewal.

That said, apple does warn users about subscriptions that are about to renew a few days ahead of time. I'm not sure on the accuracy of their claim that the sites are broken for that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    So the US senate judiciary committee is voting to bring Noted Shithead Lindsey Graham's EARNIT bill to the main floor. As I understand it this bill would force all internet encryption to have a government backdoor, which will definitely also be used by hackers, and allow the government to read any and all internet traffic without a warrant. I think it's also targeting liability protections for platforms like social media for speech made by third parties using the platform, because fascists want to be able to sue platforms that allow speech opposing them, to shut them down and silence dissent.

If you're a US citizen, fucking call your senators and tell them this bill is fascist poison for democracy.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What do if my senator is a fascist

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    What do if my senator is a fascist
    guillotine-French-Revolution.jpg

Fucking why are all the images on the internet so big?

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Late but did you know Ninja had a toy line that's in Target? You can get a headband with Ninja's signature blue hair attached and action figures and shit, I couldn't begin to explain to my poor kids who or what he was and why he had toys in Target.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Late but did you know Ninja had a toy line that's in Target? You can get a headband with Ninja's signature blue hair attached and action figures and shit, I couldn't begin to explain to my poor kids who or what he was and why he had toys in Target.

can you imagine in like ~10 years when whatever unsold dolls end up in one of these

FRBrhrD.jpg

• Options
    I just fully dropped my work laptop off the couch, and it landed plumb on its USB-C charge cord and bent it all to shit. No other damage, fortunately.

Also fortunately, I live a block and a half from an Apple store, a fact I felt was bougie as fuck when I first moved in but as of today is a goddamn livesaver.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Anyone here happen to have some experience with monitor mount stands? I got one off amazon and its not great. Not great at all. And I have this hole in my desk now.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Yeah, I bought a heavy-duty mount off Amazon. Went for the no-drill mount option and it holds up a good 30lbs pretty well. What brand did you go with?

godmode on
  • Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Yeah, I bought a heavy-duty mount off Amazon. Went for the no-drill mount option and it holds up a good 30lbs pretty well. What brand did you go with?

The one I had was by a brand called Wali, it tipped as soon as I put a monitor on it so I put a hole in my desk and the bolt bent as soon as one monitor was on it.

I opted for a bigger, slightly more expensive one by Eletab that should be here next week

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I went with a brand called Loctek - it was one of the only options that supported up to 30lbs. It’s done really well, even though I’m at the maximum weight for the device. Only problem I had was the initial mounting: it’s definitely not a one-person job.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    According to Moe's, Monoprice monitor stands are generally pretty great, and excellent value for money.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I recently had a problem with Windows where browsing a folder with ogg files would cause Explorer to hang, sometimes outright crash, and even when trying to play them in VLC (or Groove Music) it'd play a few and then just stop.

Today I tried googling "windows hates ogg files" and it turns out these issues are caused by something called Web Media Extensions, which is made by Microsoft and comes with Windows. Uninstalling it immediately fixed all these problems, with seemingly the only side effect being that Groove Music no longer plays ogg files and it's not like it did that well.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    According to Moe's, Monoprice monitor stands are generally pretty great, and excellent value for money.

Can confirm, got the double gas arm one clamped on, it's a champ even with my super heavy monitor.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I got the Fully dual monitor arm (clamp) and it's pretty nice

• Options
    Aren't those like $200+ though?

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Nope. Like, do even a tiny google here.
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15525

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I just fully dropped my work laptop off the couch, and it landed plumb on its USB-C charge cord and bent it all to shit. No other damage, fortunately.

Also fortunately, I live a block and a half from an Apple store, a fact I felt was bougie as fuck when I first moved in but as of today is a goddamn livesaver.

Report back if the "life saving" for the charge port = getting a new machine or what.

• Options
    The fully arms were 100+change. Really nice cable routing and other pieces though.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Report back if the "life saving" for the charge port = getting a new machine or what.

Oh the laptop was completely fine, it was just the cord itself that I fucked. I bought a new one online and picked it up the next day, $20.
    Bonus, I have another USB-C charge cord that simply wore out (started fraying at the end connection, to the point of sparking). I’d kept it around because it technically still works and I have hoarding issues when it comes to electronics. Now I can splice the two good ends together into something extra long and only moderately janky.

tynic on
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

Nope. Like, do even a tiny google here.
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15525

I did! And I do l ran into this line of products:

https://www.monoprice.com/category/mounts-&-stands/monitor-mounts/freestanding-monitor-mounts

Which I now realize is the wrong category and I should have just gone to their website.

• Options
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    The problem, at least with smart TVs that send your watching data back home via said internettery, is that it costs more not to include the 'smarts' because the manufacturers can't make money off the data they harvest. So the cheaper option is to just buy it with the stuff you don't want and not connect it to your wireless.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

You can spend hundred of dollars for a phone with very limited features, I think Huckberry sells them

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    The problem, at least with smart TVs that send your watching data back home via said internettery, is that it costs more not to include the 'smarts' because the manufacturers can't make money off the data they harvest. So the cheaper option is to just buy it with the stuff you don't want and not connect it to your wireless.

Speaking of, my TV died this weekend so we bought a Samsung 4k UHD dildonics HDR for like 500. How do I neuter it? I need it to be able to connect to Hulu, etc, but fuck the ads.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »

Speaking of, my TV died this weekend so we bought a Samsung 4k UHD dildonics HDR for like 500. How do I neuter it? I need it to be able to connect to Hulu, etc, but fuck the ads.

Honestly, easiest way is to get a roku or other streaming appliance and disallow it from connecting to the internet.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I do what I can to keep my non-computer appliances and tools as "dumb" as possible, and the only computer tech on my car and motorcycle are the fuel injection systems, ABS and a few other basic safety things like that, and the car stereo

I also infinitely prefer my watches dumb - couldn't keep my Fitbit reliably charged when I had one since it was another proprietary cable to worry about at all times, and the battery on my Casio DW5600 has lasted much longer (>5 years!) than the plastics of the bezel and strap did. Automatic mechanical movements are fun and generally reliable, but do need servicing once in a while, which is a hidden cost

I probably still have a digital footprint of reasonable size just by virtue of being online with a GMail address and Facebook account, but at least I generally keep my personal settings managed to a conscientious degree within that eh

There was a point in time around 3-5 years ago where I had a candybar phone, a car and scooter with absolutely zero computer tech, and really tried to strip my digital footprint down to near-zero, but I eventually realized it was a bit of a pain in the ass to be a Luddite to the degree of being anti-social (at least under the life circumstances I was under in college)

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Totally with you on watches. My Casio EFA-120 is over four years on the original battery. And the face is still in really good shape for as much as it gets banged around at work.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'd have a hard time going back to a non-smart watch after having a couple of different Pebbles and then a Samsung Tizen based watch. Probably been wearing smart watch since 2014 or earlier.

Someday I'd still really like a couple of different mechanical Swiss watches, but for everyday use I'd stick with a smart watch of some kind.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd be more open to smart watches and accessories if wireless charging was the norm and I could just slap them all on my nightstand and call it a day.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.