Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    That tablet area seems a little too slim.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

I saw it but it's not for me. I only want to click stuff with a mouse, thanks

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    That tablet area seems a little too slim.

Yeah the only thing I could maybe see myself using it for, is as like, an art palette place for quick color selection while doing digital design and painting. But that keyboard is way too much in the way, so they've managed to make it and the tablet area basically unusable.

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    lol
    Chrome is deprecating the blocking capabilities of the webRequest API in Manifest V3, not the entire webRequest API (though blocking will still be available to enterprise deployments).

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I was impressed after Ars Technica's writeup about Opera last week and I think I'm going to move that way next. Chrome is a resource hog anyway.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Zandracon wrote: »
    lol
    Chrome is deprecating the blocking capabilities of the webRequest API in Manifest V3, not the entire webRequest API (though blocking will still be available to enterprise deployments).

Huh, so that's just Chrome itself though, not Chromium right? Is Google trying to give Edge a fighting chance?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Zandracon wrote: »
    lol

Bye bye Chrome once they pull that shit!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    capitalism has determined that google will make more money if you are unable to block ads, sorry chrome users!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    True, but the DS was a new handheld release from Nintendo that was going to sell even if they included live fire ants in the box.

When people have two laptops to buy and one of them is $500 cheaper and only has one screen but all other things are equal, the single screen laptop is going to sell.

Also the second screen in the ds was a genuinely good and useful thing that wasn't placed at the point you'd normally rest your hands. That's a factor.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    You don't need to block ads, per se. Download something like ScriptSafe, and while it can absolutely break websites in all kinds of fun ways, it ends up blocking ads too sometimes.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I'm using Brave browser on my computer and it's good.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I never think to give Opera a chance. I’m using Safari on my MacBook, but I should have a look at Opera for when I use roll20.net because it doesn’t run well in Safari and Firefox has a weird incompatibility with AdGuard, which I am also using.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    capitalism has determined that google will make more money if you are unable to block ads, sorry chrome users!

It just means people will move to another browser that supports adblocking.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    i'm sorry but once advertisers were shown they just don't care if they're vectors for viruses and trojans they shot themselves in the foot

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    i'm sorry but once advertisers were shown they just don't care if they're vectors for viruses and trojans they shot themselves in the foot

That and being obnoxious with autoplay videos, popups covering the whole screen, etc.

If ads had stayed at static banner images people wouldn't be so keen on adblockers.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

That and being obnoxious with autoplay videos, popups covering the whole screen, etc.

If ads had stayed at static banner images people wouldn't be so keen on adblockers.

But how do we grab their attention if we can't play loud screeching music and move the close button away from your mouse?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Firefox recently added built in options to block auto playing videos with sound, but I want to be able to stop even muted videos from auto playing. That includes what look like gifs but are actually html5 vids that animate.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Firefox recently added built in options to block auto playing videos with sound, but I want to be able to stop even muted videos from auto playing. That includes what look like gifs but are actually html5 vids that animate.

Oh, is that what's been messing up my playlists?

Been wondering why everything kept auto-muting on the changeover.

Would have been nice to have had that appear as an option after the update instead of being on by default.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've been using Opera for a while! It's great! As far as I can tell!

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Give it a few years and Google will realize they make more money if they assassinate all rival browser developers

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Hello tech thread.

I can’t think of another place to put this.

Today I heard a Crazy Frog ringtone in this, the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen.

• Options
    the 00s will be cool again in the 20s, this is the tip of the iceberg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Give it a few years and Google will realize they make more money if they assassinate all rival browser developers

The great thing about open source software is people can fork it and it doesn't matter who buys it.

MySQL got bought by oracle, then got forked to mariadb.

If they buy mozilla, it can be forked again.

• Options
    You can't develop open source software if you're a skeleton bowen!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I predict the next step is paying off some senators to write a law to make adblocking illegal

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    The next step? I’d bet a crisp $10 that they’ve already had at least a preliminary go at it.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The next step? I’d bet a crisp $10 that they’ve already had at least a preliminary go at it.

I'd bet my actual life that plenty of senators have already received large bags with dollar signs printed on the outside and wads of $100 bills filling the inside, with a little card attached that says "please make it illegal to block adverts online, kthxbai with love from AdSense"

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

I'd bet my actual life that plenty of senators have already received large bags with dollar signs printed on the outside and wads of $100 bills filling the inside, with a little card attached that says "please make it illegal to block adverts online, kthxbai with love from AdSense"

My pihole, when it keeps working, laughs at their attempts.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    expendable wrote: »

My pihole, when it keeps working, laughs at their attempts.

"This is the FBI! Open up! We have a warrant to shut your pihole!"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Pi-hole is so great with my Roku tv. YouTube ads are now a rare thing. It even blocks the side bar banner on the Roku channel menu.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Hello tech thread.

I can’t think of another place to put this.

Today I heard a Crazy Frog ringtone in this, the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen.

This sort of crazy frog?

https://youtu.be/jLPYnw17GTY

• Options
    that's the one

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I only just noticed that Verizon (I'm a Fios customer) is offering a Home Network Protection option that I'd manage through the app on my phone. Does anybody have any opinions about this kind of thing, good or bad?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    So, I have my outlook set to never delete offline old emails.
    And it used to not do so, which was great.
    All of a sudden now I don't have any emails older than three weeks. No settings seem to have been changed and I have no clue wtf happened to my emails.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I only just noticed that Verizon (I'm a Fios customer) is offering a Home Network Protection option that I'd manage through the app on my phone. Does anybody have any opinions about this kind of thing, good or bad?

Is it like ADT style security?

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »

Is it like ADT style security?

Nah, strictly for the internet and home networked devices. Block malware websites, gives parental controls and ability to set time limits or pause the WiFi, that kind of thing.

I hesitate to give some kind of software the ability to automatically block access to what it considers malicious websites, that's where I'm getting hung up, which might not be reasonable.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    All of a sudden now I don't have any emails older than three weeks. No settings seem to have been changed and I have no clue wtf happened to my emails.

exchange? Might be forced retention or something happened server side to clear it out?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Psykoma wrote: »

exchange? Might be forced retention or something happened server side to clear it out?

Tech guy I pay to manage my website and email's technicals said he isn't able to see them anywhere on the serverside or see where anything might have happened.

What's annoying is that I have two business emails, one with my name, one just a general info address, and the info address has all it's inbox going back three years intact.
    The actual important one, mine, doesn't have anything past May 8th 2019.

ALSO, my sent folder has all the emails I've sent going back three years. And I can find message in there which I responded to which don't exist anywhere else in my email account. But if I never responded to them, they're gone, and if I didn't forward them and just responded to them, the attachments in the original email are also gone.

Kinda devastating for a friday evening.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Do you use a smartphone psyk? I know iphones used to do that with a setting way back in the day if you didn't unset the retention stuff.

Did you set up outlook as pop, sometimes it "cleans up"

I hate email though that's about all I can think of that would do this other than someone else logged in and cleaned it up.

(doesn't outlook have an archive/condense email folder option once you have > 2gbs of email?)

This discussion has been closed.