Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

12467101

Posts

  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I was told by the dude to set it up as IMAP, I have it hooked up to my samsung s7 through gmail, though cant find settings where it would delete from the server end. It's also weird because I've had it on there for almost two years and it's fucked up this month.

    Looking at the outlook data file it's only at 254 mb, which sounds lower than it should be, but probably considering I'm missing several hundred emails it makes sense -_-

  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    I only just noticed that Verizon (I'm a Fios customer) is offering a Home Network Protection option that I'd manage through the app on my phone. Does anybody have any opinions about this kind of thing, good or bad?

    Is it like ADT style security?

    Nah, strictly for the internet and home networked devices. Block malware websites, gives parental controls and ability to set time limits or pause the WiFi, that kind of thing.

    I hesitate to give some kind of software the ability to automatically block access to what it considers malicious websites, that's where I'm getting hung up, which might not be reasonable.

    Ok I know very little about Verizon's set up, but in general: Probably not super secure! Most big name Anti-Virus/Malware I've run across are usually worse then the free ones. Looking it up it appears the Verizon stuff is through McAfee which is not great, and yeah I don't like idea of giving over my network security to Verizon.

    Its pretty new and I can't find anyone talking about it, positive or negative, even on the security type places I frequent that usually talk a lot about this stuff. I'll keep my ear to the ground and let you know, but for now I would its probably not worth it since its McAfee

  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I like it when McAfee antivirus comes up, because it gives me a chance to bring up John McAfee's latest tweet and see what that weird beard is up to.



    Ah, that's the problem. It's not that I can't afford to sail my 74" yacht to a table next to a pool next to the ocean, it's that I lack the vision to see how much that would rule if I could afford it. Thanks for the lifehack, buddy.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Wow his head is up his ass to a degree that I didn't know was possible.

    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I was told by the dude to set it up as IMAP, I have it hooked up to my samsung s7 through gmail, though cant find settings where it would delete from the server end. It's also weird because I've had it on there for almost two years and it's fucked up this month.

    Looking at the outlook data file it's only at 254 mb, which sounds lower than it should be, but probably considering I'm missing several hundred emails it makes sense -_-

    Okay panic attack is basically over.

    Apparently outlook doesn't like having mutliple pc's with the same email address?
    Because on outlook at home all my emails are intact.

    Creating a backup anyway. -_-

  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I was told by the dude to set it up as IMAP, I have it hooked up to my samsung s7 through gmail, though cant find settings where it would delete from the server end. It's also weird because I've had it on there for almost two years and it's fucked up this month.

    Looking at the outlook data file it's only at 254 mb, which sounds lower than it should be, but probably considering I'm missing several hundred emails it makes sense -_-

    Yeah that all sounds right I'm out of ideas, sorry :(

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    So when you say this person manages your email, is it an actual server hosted by them, or just help using another major provider's services?

    Because if you have IMAP, and it's on one device and not another. That means it was deleted off of the server.

    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Speaking it missing stuff, anyone had any issues with Google drive losing stuff? Specifically one of my email addresses can't find any files, but when I check storage it is still using up the correct amount. Very annoying. Does this from browser and the app.

    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I don't actually know honestly. I'd assume he rents space on a provider's servers.
    I am guessing it was perma deleted from the server, will see if maybe he can rebuilt that with the backup I have of the file from my desktop? If it's worth doing that.

  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    furlion wrote: »
    Speaking it missing stuff, anyone had any issues with Google drive losing stuff? Specifically one of my email addresses can't find any files, but when I check storage it is still using up the correct amount. Very annoying. Does this from browser and the app.

    check in the trash? stuff in the trash still takes up space until it gets emptied.

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I don't actually know honestly. I'd assume he rents space on a provider's servers.
    I am guessing it was perma deleted from the server, will see if maybe he can rebuilt that with the backup I have of the file from my desktop? If it's worth doing that.

    Then by your description i'd say he is your email provider.

    My recommendation as an over opinionated white male in IT/Telecom:
    is to tell him to restore a server backup from when you remember the messages definitely being there.

    If he can't do that, find another provider. If you own the domains it's really easy (relatively) to setup google to act as your email provider.

    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I asked him and he said there were no redundant backups on server side, which seemed a little, well, bad praxis to me.

    I do own the domain name, we specifically didn't give him access to those ownership credentials.

  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Speaking it missing stuff, anyone had any issues with Google drive losing stuff? Specifically one of my email addresses can't find any files, but when I check storage it is still using up the correct amount. Very annoying. Does this from browser and the app.

    check in the trash? stuff in the trash still takes up space until it gets emptied.

    It won't even show me what is in the trash. I am pretty sure I am going to have to email Google and pray for a human.

    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I asked him and he said there were no redundant backups on server side, which seemed a little, well, bad praxis to me.

    I do own the domain name, we specifically didn't give him access to those ownership credentials.

    Well, I try to avoid having to touch email too much because it is such a PIA, but I'm betting it will be nigh impossible to move from your outlook file back to the server.

    So, sounds like a great time to migrate.

    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    You can't develop open source software if you're a skeleton bowen!

    Isn't everyone a skeleton?

    Really?

    On the inside?

    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    You can't develop open source software if you're a skeleton bowen!

    Isn't everyone a skeleton?

    Really?

    On the inside?

    No, I'm a brain pilotting a bone mech that's encased in meat armour.

  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the last few apple keynotes have been horrible

    but if you're a heavy macbook or ipad user, you need to read the cliffs notes on today's WWDC

    im actually not jaded at the moment

    they've added a TON of extremely useful shit

  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Kadith wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I asked him and he said there were no redundant backups on server side, which seemed a little, well, bad praxis to me.

    I do own the domain name, we specifically didn't give him access to those ownership credentials.

    Well, I try to avoid having to touch email too much because it is such a PIA, but I'm betting it will be nigh impossible to move from your outlook file back to the server.

    So, sounds like a great time to migrate.

    The two other options for psykoma is to either just forward all emails from the domain to a gmail or yahoo or something, or, set up a google for business account and pay like $5-10 for some emails set up.

    Self hosting email is a fucking nightmare, it's worth the small fee google charges. (microsoft has a version too I think)

    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I was told by the dude to set it up as IMAP, I have it hooked up to my samsung s7 through gmail, though cant find settings where it would delete from the server end. It's also weird because I've had it on there for almost two years and it's fucked up this month.

    Looking at the outlook data file it's only at 254 mb, which sounds lower than it should be, but probably considering I'm missing several hundred emails it makes sense -_-

    Okay panic attack is basically over.

    Apparently outlook doesn't like having mutliple pc's with the same email address?
    Because on outlook at home all my emails are intact.

    Creating a backup anyway. -_-

    If you're using the Outlook program (like Outlook 2016, don't know about 365) it tends to store things locally in a PST file, which is usually machine specific if archives have been created and they tend to get easily corrupted once they start getting large. They're problematic and I believe being phased out. Email is a giant fucking PIA and is one of those things worth paying Google to handle if you can, IMO.
    furlion wrote: »
    Speaking it missing stuff, anyone had any issues with Google drive losing stuff? Specifically one of my email addresses can't find any files, but when I check storage it is still using up the correct amount. Very annoying. Does this from browser and the app.

    The entire G-suite has been having technical outages the past day or two. It could be related.

    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I bought a new router that actually does gigabit, so that I don't have to swap around cables if I want to download a game fast.

    Turns out that a far better feature is that it doesn't have bright blue LEDs that I can see glowing under my desk when I try to sleep.

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019



    the cheese grater returns
    The new Mac Pro is launching this fall with a starting price of $5,999. That’s with a spec vastly below its maxed out exciting new features: you get 32GB of memory, an octa-core Intel Xeon CPU, Radeon Pro 580X graphics, and a 256GB SSD. Alongside the new Mac Pro, Apple today also introduced a matching 6K monitor, the 32-inch Pro Display XDR, whose starting price is a similarly lofty $4,999.

    https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/apple-unveils-powerful-all-new-mac-pro-and-groundbreaking-pro-display-xdr/

    Brolo on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i'm mostly excited for dark theme finally. forced bright theme with an oled screen was saddd

    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i don't think dark theme will make it to that many 3rd party apps quickly though... but more will become obvious by the end of the week

    it seems like it might be a feature of their new API, which would require some app rewrites

    i know in current development environments, color declarations are somewhat explicit... there are some exceptions though.

  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    the monitor stand is...a thousand dollars

    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    the monitor stand is...a thousand dollars

    the CNC mill that makes it is cooled using only the finest sacrificial blood

  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The cheese grater is too cheese grater-y for me now.

    Not that it matter because I don't need a computer that powerful for anything that I do and thus will never use or purchase one, but the OG Mac Pro was such a good looking machine.

  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    tbf, at least the grater look as a design purpose, and this mac pro isn't objectively dogshit like the last one

    unfortunately they priced it way beyond what I would ever consider paying for one, and I have a vaguely reasonable excuse for owning one

    i'll probably think about getting an iMac Pro

    the real story here is holy shit they buffed the iPad so much

  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    the monitor stand is...a thousand dollars
    Paying for brand prestige has gotten out of fucking control.

  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't understand what the selling point is supposed to be

    Like what are they saying is good about this monitor stand

  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I don't understand what the selling point is supposed to be

    Like what are they saying is good about this monitor stand

    It works with the new fancy 6k monitor.

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've been told recently that AMD processors no longer overheat if you look at them the wrong way so I am attempting a new computer!

    https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/dl/invite/8d9Qdba?ref_=wl_share

    any thoughts? Glaring errors?

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    "starting price of $5,999"

    Nani the fuck?

  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I can't see the list but AMD have a new line of chips coming out in the next month or so that are reportedly significant upgrades from the current ones so may be worth holding on for a bit to see if that pans out?

    Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I've got a monitor stand that cost over $500 new.

    It's a bunch of old biochem textbooks.

  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I can't see the list but AMD have a new line of chips coming out in the next month or so that are reportedly significant upgrades from the current ones so may be worth holding on for a bit to see if that pans out?

    damn, the public link isn't working =/

    There is sadly no way I can afford a new line of anything though

    edit:

    Hopefully this will work

    Xaquin on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Tube wrote: »
    I don't understand what the selling point is supposed to be

    Like what are they saying is good about this monitor stand

    JlRcvyil.png
    UGt5Ctxl.png
    mxr9mCul.png
    5YqGJmol.png
    https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/

    the stand rotates and... is a stand

    you can put the monitor on the stand
    and take it off

    you can buy a mount to use some other stand, if you want

    Brolo on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I don't understand what the selling point is supposed to be

    Like what are they saying is good about this monitor stand

    It works with the new fancy 6k monitor.

    So does that insanely expensive 6K monitor not come with a stand, or just a basic one and this is a fancy one?

  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I was told by the dude to set it up as IMAP, I have it hooked up to my samsung s7 through gmail, though cant find settings where it would delete from the server end. It's also weird because I've had it on there for almost two years and it's fucked up this month.

    Looking at the outlook data file it's only at 254 mb, which sounds lower than it should be, but probably considering I'm missing several hundred emails it makes sense -_-

    Okay panic attack is basically over.

    Apparently outlook doesn't like having mutliple pc's with the same email address?
    Because on outlook at home all my emails are intact.

    Creating a backup anyway. -_-

    I think it is because outlook tends to store email in a file by default. When you logged in on your new computer, it probably only downloaded the last three weeks worth of emails to save time. Your PC at home has all the emails as the file was setup in the beginning and has just been added to over time.

    Mc zany on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I suspect the point is to sell it to enterprise customers who aren’t using their own money

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Pricing is the main reason I've never wanted an Apple product

This discussion has been closed.