Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I don't understand what the selling point is supposed to be

Like what are they saying is good about this monitor stand

It works with the new fancy 6k monitor.

So does that insanely expensive 6K monitor not come with a stand, or just a basic one and this is a fancy one?

it either comes with no stand, or comes with one that has not been photographed yet.

to be fair

this monitor is not intended for anyone short of high grade video production studios.... like... you're not supposed to buy this monitor. if you even have to look at the price tag, it's not for you

to be perfectly honest, even the tower itself pretty much falls into this category. that thing is an absolute monster. very few people have a valid argument to use one. That's a departure from the old Mac Pros where they were just the default option for "I need a computer capable of performing work"

the iMac Pro is very decent

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I used a macbook air for two years for work and waited for the "It just works! I love macs now!" moment that never came. I just fundamentally don't get it. To me they work less well than a Windows PC on every axis that I care about. I use Apple phones and that's about it, their computers and software are both (to me) awful.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I suspect the point is to sell it to enterprise customers who aren’t using their own money

someday I want to get in on this gravy train

like selling overpriced beanbag chairs to silicon valley investment capital startups that just completed their first billion dollar IPO

see you're paying extra because instead of using whatever you normally put in beanbag chairs (beans???) instead we hand-polish reclaimed titanium bearings, creating a beanbag chair that is both horribly uncomfortable and that weighs over 2500 pounds per chair

the chair will almost certainly rip if you ever try to move or adjust it, creating a nightmare tripping and injury hazard for your employees

cost:
    $14, 850 for the introductory chair
    $31, 500 for the pro chair (comes in black, has leather patches)

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    To this day spinning color wheels conjure bad memories from my graphic design courses in college

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I can't see the list but AMD have a new line of chips coming out in the next month or so that are reportedly significant upgrades from the current ones so may be worth holding on for a bit to see if that pans out?

damn, the public link isn't working =/

There is sadly no way I can afford a new line of anything though

edit:

Hopefully this will work

You should check out pcpartpicker.com

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I can't see the list but AMD have a new line of chips coming out in the next month or so that are reportedly significant upgrades from the current ones so may be worth holding on for a bit to see if that pans out?

edit:

Hopefully this will work

excellent!

It claims there are no compatibility issues with my proposed build =)

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I love my iPad, its the best tablet I've ever had. My old iPod was really cool. But I never got into the computers for apple

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

edit:

Hopefully this will work

excellent!

@Xaquin

If you can hold off another 2 months or so AMD is releasing the Ryzen 3000 series which beats intel in pretty much every way. The current CPUs are lagging behind single core performance wise. The new CPUs do not, supposedly. They're reasonably priced and comparable to that one you've got picked out.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I don't understand what the selling point is supposed to be

Like what are they saying is good about this monitor stand

It works with the new fancy 6k monitor.

So does that insanely expensive 6K monitor not come with a stand, or just a basic one and this is a fancy one?

it either comes with no stand, or comes with one that has not been photographed yet.

to be fair

this monitor is not intended for anyone short of high grade video production studios.... like... you're not supposed to buy this monitor. if you even have to look at the price tag, it's not for you

to be perfectly honest, even the tower itself pretty much falls into this category. that thing is an absolute monster. very few people have a valid argument to use one. That's a departure from the old Mac Pros where they were just the default option for "I need a computer capable of performing work"

the iMac Pro is very decent

yeah I have difficulty placing this thing

people who need heavy duty number crunching are all on tesla racks and cloud servers now
    95% of developers are served just fine with sub $1000 linux/windows PCs or midrange imacs

I guess video professionals in very specific use cases will need a desktop in this category, although I'm guessing a lot of that work is going to be cloud-based in the near future

I really can't think of many other uses for a 28 core xeon processor in this form factor / price point

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

edit:

Hopefully this will work

excellent!

@Xaquin

If you can hold off another 2 months or so AMD is releasing the Ryzen 3000 series which beats intel in pretty much every way. The current CPUs are lagging behind single core performance wise. The new CPUs do not, supposedly. They're reasonably priced and comparable to that one you've got picked out.

Reasonably like $10-$25 difference or reasonably like $50-$100 difference?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Pricing is the main reason I've never wanted an Apple product
    I mean they've always been more expensive, but not in such out-of-reach fashion before. The price gap has widened into a gulf and there's no real reason beyond them just wanting to charge so much.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

edit:

Hopefully this will work

excellent!

@Xaquin

Reasonably like $10-$25 difference or reasonably like $50-$100 difference?

If nothing else your current build will get cheaper.

Pricing is supposed to be similar though to current pricing and performance better.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2019
    the chart of MSRPs I saw had the lowest 3000 series CPU at $250, but maybe there's budget ones below that it wasn't listing, like it might have just been listing mid and high range chips.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    the chart of MSRPs I saw had the lowest 3000 series CPU at $250, but maybe there's budget ones below that it wasn't listing, like it might have just been listing mid and high range chips.

The lowest priced chip they've officially revealed is the 6 core/12 thread Ryzen 5 3600 at $199.

jgeis on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

edit:

Hopefully this will work

excellent!

There aren't any compatibility issues, but there are a few things I'd change. I'd spend more money for at least a 512gb SSD, more money on the case for something that's better looking, nicer to build in, and better made (something like a NZXT H500 in the $60-75 range), and I'd also get a better power supply such as a Seasonic Focus Gold 550. As others have said it may also be worth waiting a little longer for the Ryzen 3 3600 or seeing if the higher end Ryzen 2 chips get a price drop once Ryzen 3 comes out.

There's also a dedicated PC thread if you'd like as post your build there for more opinions https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/222563/pc-build-thread-its-a-weird-time-in-hardwaretown

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    jgeis wrote: »

The lowest priced chip they've officially revealed is the 6 core/12 thread Ryzen 5 3600 at $199.

yeah the ryzen 3600

it absolutely wipes the floor with the 2600 though

It's worth the $50 price difference, if you can scrounge it up. I'd dip down to a 2TB platter drive to pick up the 3600.

@xaquin

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-3-5-Inch/dp/B07H2RR55Q/

Use that instead, 5400 RPM is going to kill your system. It's literally the largest thing that's going to hamstring your build.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-500GB-NAND-Internal/dp/B0784SLQM6

This would be my recommendation flat out though, it's one of the better budget SSDs. Add in the 4TB/2TB drive when possible, or pull the old one from your old computer instead.

• Options
    yeah I was debating a SSD for OS, CAD/Revit, and a few games with all my data on the 4tb drive (I have 2.5tb full now between video, music, and a ton of family photos)

• Options
    Prices are going to drop on a lot of hardware in a few months supposedly since nvidia realized that no one's going to buy $1200 video cards except people who think they can mine crypto with them.

• Options
    If that exception sells enough cards, they won't drop in price

• Options
    how is the cryptocurrency speculation bubble doing these days, are bitcoins worthless yet

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2019
  • Options
    that volume spike tho

not a bubble btw

• Options
    fuck

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    i thought you basically can't mine anything of note with gpus anymore, and even if you could the new cards are barely better than the old ones since so much of their silicon is dedicated to ray tracing

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    how is the cryptocurrency speculation bubble doing these days, are bitcoins worthless yet

Bitcoin is for whatever reason up again for a few months. At about 7000 theoretical dollars.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    If that exception sells enough cards, they won't drop in price

the 20X0 line did shit last quarter or so because it didn't offer much worth upgrading and the price was astronomical.

Not to mention you can't really mine anything with GPUs anymore. Unless it's a new crypto which after litecoin got shit on with some blockchain shenanigans I don't know if anyone will attempt a new coin again. The drama around all the crypto is just delicious from an IT perspective to those dudebros who bought into it too.

E: maybe it was etherium..? I don't know there is just so many I can't keep track anymore.

bowen on
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i thought you basically can't mine anything of note with gpus anymore, and even if you could the new cards are barely better than the old ones since so much of their silicon is dedicated to ray tracing

you can always add more cards!

i don't know what this dumb market is like, but I know bitcoin on some level still requires mining to literally even function... so even if your actual mining gain is low... there will always be a demand for mining since without mining the currency has about as much value as monopoly money (perhaps less!)

i would guess the main concern over time will not be mining per hour, but mining per watt.... no idea if anyone is even trying to solve that problem

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

Depends on the crypto. The newer it is, the more viable GPU is over FPGA.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Nah, as long as they can park their farms next to some ridiculously cheap coal power plant in some desert, the big bitcoin players won't care.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I'm not sure if that lower chart is volume in Brolo's pic. This chart has relative volume at the bottom, which was way higher during the 2017 spike (highest line is 23.31B/wk):

sxn3ymd69wb5.png

link

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    For bitcoin, it's only viable if the power is free atm, for GPU, IIRC

Not many people have that arrangement where they can get $600 a month in electricity for free.

• Options
    For bitcoin, it's only viable if the power is free atm, for GPU, IIRC

Not many people have that arrangement where they can get $600 a month in electricity for free.

just gotta divert local streams and creeks in your areas to a small-scale homemade hydroelectic dam of your choice

plug in some videocards

bam, instant bitcoins literally flowing into your wallet

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    There is actually a creek flowing right next to my home. I could do that.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Every now and then I remember that Bitcoin is using as much electricity, right now and every single day, as Switzerland, and it makes me so frustrated and sad and angry and disappointed that I can't even conceive of a cartoonishly exaggerated cathartic action that would make me feel better.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I wanna meet the person who sold all their BitCoin at it's peak price and made a fortune. Does that person exist?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I want to say some rapper took bitcoin as payment for something kind of as a joke and then found out it was worth a ton of money and cashed out?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I wanna meet the person who sold all their BitCoin at it's peak price and made a fortune. Does that person exist?

Maybe the guy who "died" in India a few months ago?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I want to say some rapper took bitcoin as payment for something kind of as a joke and then found out it was worth a ton of money and cashed out?

i believe it was 50 cent, and he didn't declare it in his bankruptcy trial and got in trouble for it

but who knows there could be others

• Options
    There are definitely bitcoin millionaires. Markets are irrational.

This discussion has been closed.